Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Old 01-14-11, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Not really news, but glad to hear it's coming sooner than 2012. As for the extras, just give me whatever's already available. I'm sick to death of hearing about "exciting new extras" being created for the films every time they re-releases them. How much do I need to know? Just get the goddamn transfer right.
Old 01-14-11, 10:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ personally I'd be very interested in seeing the deleted scenes that didn't make the extended edition cut.
Old 01-14-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
^ personally I'd be very interested in seeing the deleted scenes that didn't make the extended edition cut.
Ok, you got me there. I'm always game for more deleted footage. I just don't want to see another plethora of featurettes, docs and misc. behind-the-scenes footage that feels superfluous.
Old 01-14-11, 10:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Ok, you got me there. I'm always game for more deleted footage. I just don't want to see another plethora of featurettes, docs and misc. behind-the-scenes footage that feels superfluous.
oh I completely agree with you there.
Old 01-14-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully it comes out before BF so we can get it for $7.99 at target. This year is not going to be cheap with SW, LOTR and maybe Jurassic Park... I think my wallet just broke.
Old 01-14-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The most obvious shot that needs to be redone is the one at the beginning of ROTK where Smeagol gets pulled along by the fish, leading him to the Ring. It's probably the worst effects shot in the whole trilogy.
The horrid fake running in FOTR matches the pisspoor Deagol scene as well. Just look at the fellowship essentially slide over the stone surface in Moria as they run from the orcs (just before the balrog shows up). And then after Galdalf fights the balrog, look at how the fellowship seems to glide over the mountainside as they run out of Moria.

The CGI Legolas that fights the cave troll is also really bad.
Old 01-14-11, 01:57 PM

I just bought the theatricals on black Friday through Amazon...$7.99 a piece, and I realized something. These movies flow alot better together in the theatrical versions. I'll keep my extended dvds since they have the awesome (for dvd anyway) dts tracks. I doubt they'll port over those documentaries that were on the extended dvds, which were just fantastic.
Old 01-14-11, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leem6453
I just bought the theatricals on black Friday through Amazon...$7.99 a piece, and I realized something. These movies flow alot better together in the theatrical versions. I'll keep my extended dvds since they have the awesome (for dvd anyway) dts tracks. I doubt they'll port over those documentaries that were on the extended dvds, which were just fantastic.
Why would you doubt that? The theatrical Blu-Rays were faithful recreations of the content of the theatrical 2-disc DVDs, it stands to reason that the Extended Blu-Rays will have content matching the Extended 4-disc DVDs.

(In case it's influencing your opinion, King Kong is by a different studio.)
Old 01-14-11, 04:16 PM

If I remember correctly, when they first announced the EE they specifically said that none of the extras will be duplicates of the the theatrical versions. So it's safe to assume the same for the blu-ray version.

I did buy the theatrical versions and will buy the EE when they come out.
Old 01-14-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

None of the CGI bothers me, and I'm not interested in simply having re-do's of the DVDs on Bluray. I would love for Jackson to take this opportunity to create a new chronological super-cut of the film, with all the deleted scenes that fit, and any deleted scenes that don't available for separate viewing.

Straight upgrades of DVDs on Blu hold very little interest for me, unless the DVD was just plain awful.
Old 01-14-11, 04:49 PM

Peter Jackson said there is a new super documentary that he filmed himself during the production that would be on the Blu-Ray IIRC
Old 01-14-11, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Figures after I just spent $7.99 on the trilogy. The studios always do this to me...

I'll buy this too.
Old 01-14-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 410 Likes on 355 Posts

I bought all three of the theatrical releases on BD on BF for $8.00 each. So I'm sure I'll still buy the extended.

I've already watched all three once and the first one twice....so I'll bet value out of them...
Old 01-14-11, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a feature length documentary for each film. Not everything spread out and fragmented. I liked the bonus features on the DVD EEs, but i'd prefer a bulk documentary this go around.

Did anyone get those LEs on DVD way back when? I heard they had new documentaries but never purchased them. Quality?
Old 01-15-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I want a feature length documentary for each film. Not everything spread out and fragmented. I liked the bonus features on the DVD EEs, but i'd prefer a bulk documentary this go around.

Did anyone get those LEs on DVD way back when? I heard they had new documentaries but never purchased them. Quality?

All I remember as that the doc's were presented in non-anamorphic 1.77 ratio, so I didn't bother. I have the theatrical and EE DVDs and I would have triple dipped had the docs been 16x9.
Old 01-15-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Weren't the documentaries on the EE 3-4 hrs each? Lol, those were just about as comprehensive as you could get. As long as they're included I'll be happy.
Old 01-15-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I held off on the theatrical cuts and I may just wait until there's one release with both cuts of each film seamlessly branched (like the last DVDs). I like having the option of either cut and I have plenty of other things to watch in the meantime.
Old 01-15-11, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I thought I remember hearing the seamless branching introduced music cue issues since some parts of the score were adjusted for the EE. If true, I'm happy to keep both releases.
Old 01-15-11, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the theatrical cuts are Jackson's definitive cuts. The EE's were really for the fans of LOTR. Personally, I prefer the EE over the theatrical due to the extra story content, but you're right... the theatrical does have a better flow.
Old 01-16-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

IMO the best cut is probably somewhere in between the two. I certainly don't think ROTK needed another 50 minutes but I do like Saruman having a bit more resolution even if it was not as good of one as in the book.

For me a scene like Eowyn singing at Theodred's funeral really add impact. And I think FOTR needed the extra "travel" scenes to make it seems like an epic journey more. In the TE, it just felt like a few days travel.

That said, I have not seen the TE's since each respective EE came out, so it will be interesting to watch them again on Blu (which I have yet to do).
Old 01-16-11, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I liked the LE documentaries when I watched them, but they were fly-on-the-wall freeform docs without much structure. As one who had worked through most of the EE material, I did see some new stuff, but at that point I wasn't really hungry for more.

I know I'll get the EE BDs, but for me these days it's about the movies more than the extra material. It'd be nice if everything on the DVDs were replicated on the BDs, but realistically I don't think I'll be dumping the DVDs even if that is the case. I like the films too much not to be able to watch them on non-BD players.
Old 01-16-11, 11:39 AM

This is good news.

I wish they could edit out all the dopey, over-dramatic slow-mo close ups of Frodo staring wide eyed while being stabbed with the morgul blade, stabbed with a spear, stabbed by the giant spider, etc.
Old 01-17-11, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

^
Those scenes diidn't irk me much when I watcheded the first film recently on BD. Well, sans the spider as I've yet to watch my BD copy of ROTK (or TTT for that mattter). However, I actually found myself annoyed by the numerous close-up shots of Frodo opening his had to reveal the Ring. It felt as if Jackson was afraid we'd forget about the damn Ring if we weren't reminded of it every 10 minutes.
Old 01-17-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

I hope they are just bare bones discs and can be bought cheap, I own all the extras on dvd.
Old 01-17-11, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I hope they are just bare bones discs and can be bought cheap, I own all the extras on dvd.
I doubt they will be bare bones since the theatrical versions ported over all the features from those releases.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.