Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
So are the extras (docs and stuff) on blu ray? Or are they just a carry-over from dvd? Cause if they're dvd, I think that's kind of cheap.
Yeah, it is kind of cheap, but I'm still buying it to get LOTR in HD. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see a more extensive release near the release date of The Hobbit...
Old 03-07-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I am pretty sure that Gandalf tells Frodo what Gollum's real name is in the theatrical version of FOTR.
He doesn't. I checked the scene you mention last night just to be sure. As Anubis2005X and other have pointed out, Gandalf only says "Smeagol" in the extended cut, but Frodo does say it in the theatrical cut of the The Two Towers.

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
So are the extras (docs and stuff) on blu ray? Or are they just a carry-over from dvd? Cause if they're dvd, I think that's kind of cheap.
We're relying on the specs that Amazon has right now, which seem to be in a state of flux. Right now they're listing the number of discs as "TBA".

It's possible the specs will be refined as the year goes on. I remember when the DVD EE of FOTR was announced, they listed isolated score as a spec, but that had to be dropped due to space issues.

FWIW, I never bought the LE DVD, so at least the Costa Botes documentaries will be new to me.
Old 03-07-11, 02:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Were all those docs on the extended DVD sets originally filmed in HD? I have no idea.
Old 03-07-11, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HD or not, they could put them on a BD. And amp the quality of it, if it wasn't.
Old 03-07-11, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I so envy Lord of the Rings fans. I am a Star Wars fan who has to deal with our creator who has tampered with the movies and only releases certain versions and spites parts of his fanbase. On the other hand, Peter Jackson respects his fans, gives them every version and doesn't care which one they prefer.
Old 03-07-11, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,407 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.

FWIW, I never bought the LE DVD, so at least the Costa Botes documentaries will be new to me.
Are those confirmed? And are those the the ones that were on the DVD release that had the movies on a DVD 18, seamless branched for both versions, and the second disc had the docs in non-anamorphic widescreen? If those docs had been 16x9, I might have picked them up.

Even if they're on this set, it'll be a hard-sell for me. I've barely scratched the surface of the extras on the four disc DVDs, and I'm sure there'll be another set with the Hobbit DVD/Blu releases. Plus Real Life just kicked me in the head with a big money hole so I'm not going to be buying many DVDs at all for several months.
Old 03-07-11, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Are those confirmed? And are those the the ones that were on the DVD release that had the movies on a DVD 18, seamless branched for both versions, and the second disc had the docs in non-anamorphic widescreen? If those docs had been 16x9, I might have picked them up.

Even if they're on this set, it'll be a hard-sell for me. I've barely scratched the surface of the extras on the four disc DVDs, and I'm sure there'll be another set with the Hobbit DVD/Blu releases. Plus Real Life just kicked me in the head with a big money hole so I'm not going to be buying many DVDs at all for several months.
The Botes docs are listed amongst the content on the Blu-Ray disc for each movie.
Old 03-08-11, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fellowship is my favorite movie, ever. Then again I am a big fantasy reader.

I have SOOOOO been waiting for the EEs on BD.

With this and the news about George RR Martin finishing the next Song of Ice & Fire book, it's been like the ultimate fantasy geekery week!!

Now how about an official date!!
Old 03-08-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
the preorder is up:

List Price: $119.98
(Sale) Price: $83.99
Wow. That's outrageous. Especially considering it includes a bunch of recycled DVDs with the extras. I imagine you'll see a $60 deal on this within 60-90 days.
Old 03-08-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Set looks solid, but I'm not dropping $85 for 3 new BDs and recycled DVDs. I'm sure this'll be found for a better price around the holidays.
Old 03-08-11, 10:37 AM

My $7.99 theatrical edition BDs will hold me over until the price drops to around $40 for the set. No way I would drop $80 for a box set of 3 movies. I have the dvd versions with the nice "book" casing as well so I'm in no hurry.
Old 03-08-11, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, the extras on the Theatricals and the Extendeds are mutually exclusive, right? You need both versions to have all the extras? Any duplication?
Old 03-08-11, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was with it until i read this: The Highlighted Part.

Amazon.com has just revealed the cover art, packaging and price for Warner's forthcoming The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy - Limited Extended Edition Blu-ray Disc box set, along with most of the details. SRP for the set is $119.98, but they've got it available for pre-order NOW for just $83.99 (about 30% off). It looks like it's going to be a 9-disc set. Each extended edition film will be included on a Blu-ray disc in high-definition, along with all of the commentaries from the Extended Edition DVD releases, the MTV Movie Awards Easter egg clips for each film AND (and this is a nice and much appreciated touch) the Costa Botes "behind the scenes" documentaries for each film that were on the Limited Edition DVD releases (the ones that had BOTH the theatrical and extended versions of the films via seamless branching). Then, each film in the Blu-ray set will also include both of The Appendices DVD discs for each film that were included in the previous Extended Edition DVD sets. That adds up to 9 discs total, and it appears to mean that if you buy the Blu-ray, nearly every single extra feature from the previous DVDs carries over. Of course, there do not appear to be any new extras, but then we didn't really expect any until Peter Jackson gets around to working on an ultimate box set of these films plus the two Hobbit films (which start shooting in New Zealand later this month). So there you go. Amazon.com indicates that the box will include access to Digital Copy versions of the films as well - you get a code in the box to enable a digital download. The thing I'm most excited about here - aside from the fact that we're finally getting the extended editions in high-defintion - is that all of the 4-disc DVD extras have carried over AND they've added in the Costa Botes documentaries too. I'd hoped for that, but didn't expect it to happen, so I'm pleased to see it did.
Old 03-08-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
So, the extras on the Theatricals and the Extendeds are mutually exclusive, right? You need both versions to have all the extras? Any duplication?
For the three different DVD sets of each film, none of the extras were duplicated, although there may be some documentary footage duplicated between the different features.

Originally Posted by roger_d
I was with it until i read this:

Of course, there do not appear to be any new extras, but then we didn't really expect any until Peter Jackson gets around to working on an ultimate box set of these films plus the two Hobbit films (which start shooting in New Zealand later this month).
Emphasis mine. Keep in mind that all the info is coming from Amazon's pre-order page. New Line hasn't issued an official announcement or specs, and Amazon's listing has changed several times already. So while there doesn't appear to be any extras that haven't already appeared on DVD, that may not end up to be the case.

Also, I believe the statement about an "ultimate box set" later on is just speculation. They could create an ultimate box set later on, or they could just append the Hobbit Blu-rays to these EE Blu-rays.

Finally, New Line/PJ have shown to be fairly generous to dedicated fans in the past. When New Line issued the three EE DVDs as a boxset, people who bought the three EE DVDs as they were released we able to mail in for the box to hold them all in.
Old 03-08-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

For the three different DVD sets of each film, none of the extras were duplicated, although there may be some documentary footage duplicated between the different features.

Emphasis mine. Keep in mind that all the info is coming from Amazon's pre-order page. New Line hasn't issued an official announcement or specs, and Amazon's listing has changed several times already. So while there doesn't appear to be any extras that haven't already appeared on DVD, that may not end up to be the case.

Also, I believe the statement about an "ultimate box set" later on is just speculation. They could create an ultimate box set later on, or they could just append the Hobbit Blu-rays to these EE Blu-rays.

Finally, New Line/PJ have shown to be fairly generous to dedicated fans in the past. When New Line issued the three EE DVDs as a boxset, people who bought the three EE DVDs as they were released we able to mail in for the box to hold them all in.
Also, the extras in the EE DVD sets are beyond exhaustive. What more could they realistically add?
Old 03-08-11, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I won't get all in a huff until the final specs come out. I want these movies but not in such a big hurry just yet.
Old 03-08-11, 09:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

tried to a google image search for this (so I could post it), but according to The Digital Bits Warners Home Video has dropped the 'Limited' from off the box set.
Old 03-08-11, 09:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 03-08-11, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
....according to The Digital Bits Warners Home Video has dropped the 'Limited' from off the box set.
They must be following this thread.
Old 03-09-11, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The most likely scenario is that they're just going to include the existing bonus DVDs from the EEs in this set (along with the three documentary DVDs from the third releases). Any new content will probably be on the Blu-rays, but I wouldn't expect anything more substantial than a BD-live promo or something useless like a video game trailer.
Old 03-09-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Someone remind me, does Amazon charge your card as soon as you pre-order, or shortly before it ships?
Old 03-09-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Someone remind me, does Amazon charge your card as soon as you pre-order, or shortly before it ships?
they charge you when it ships
Old 03-11-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, price is pretty steep...but just ebayed my DVD version of this trilogy for $49.99 so once this set hits 50% off (guaranteed to happen during end of year sales), I really won't be out hardly anything and will have HD versions.
Old 03-12-11, 11:06 AM
Cool New Member

There is still no mention of a UK release of this set.

I would swallow paying the exorbitant custom's fees for this but not if it was to be released in the UK anyway.

Anyone heard anything?
Old 03-12-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I won't get all in a huff until the final specs come out.

Originally Posted by Amberite
There is still no mention of a UK release of this set.

I would swallow paying the exorbitant custom's fees for this but not if it was to be released in the UK anyway.

Anyone heard anything?
Haven't heard, but I don't think we've heard a national U.S. announce yet either so it might come with that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.