DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/584544-lord-rings-extended-edition-out-2011-a.html)

lizard 01-17-11 01:32 PM


Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 10594286)
I hope they are just bare bones discs and can be bought cheap, I own all the extras on dvd.

My feelings exactly. However, as TheMovieman says, it is unlikely to happen.

RocShemp 01-17-11 11:57 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by leem6453 (Post 10589877)
These movies flow alot better together in the theatrical versions.

Not really. I just watched my BD of TTT and remembered something that bugged me when I saw it theatrically. The theatrical cut of TTT is made with the assumption that you watched the extended cut of TTT. Frodo suddenly knowing that Gollum's true name is Smeagol makes no sense given that he didn't learn his name in the theatrical cut of FOTR. that bit of information is given in the extended cut of FOTR.

Also, the theatrcial cut of TTT actually drags quite a bit. Particularly any scene regarding Eomer. He comes across as a complete dick in the theatrical cut and his scenes grind the film to a halt. The extended cut actually fleshes him out a whole lot better and takes him from annoying asshole in boring scenes to intruigingly troubled man in an interesting moral dilemma.

Labor 01-18-11 02:03 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
I recently rewatched The EE of Two Towers, and really, there are a ton of scenes in it that simply too crucial to the movie.

Eomer and Faramir's characters are completely gutted in the theatrical cut, Faramir in particular, and the subplot with Aragorn being saved by a horse is simply "LOLWUT" in the theatrical cut, unlike in the EE where there is setup for it.

I mean, I can take or leave (hehe) the added Ent scenes in the EE, but the rest of it is crucial imo.

Fellowship I believe is neither helped nor harmed by the added material, whether its the theatrical cut or the extended cut, its still a masterpiece and one of the finest films of the decade. Actually, I take that back, the extended is better by virtue of more scenes with Sean Bean.

As for ROTK, im still not too sure. The EE is looooooooooooooooong as hell, but there are some terrific scenes added back in. I think, ROTK is just already so long, you might as well watch the extended version for a fuller experience.

Giles 01-18-11 08:38 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by Labor (Post 10595285)
I recently rewatched The EE of Two Towers, and really, there are a ton of scenes in it that simply too crucial to the movie.

Eomer and Faramir's characters are completely gutted in the theatrical cut, Faramir in particular, and the subplot with Aragorn being saved by a horse is simply "LOLWUT" in the theatrical cut, unlike in the EE where there is setup for it.

I mean, I can take or leave (hehe) the added Ent scenes in the EE, but the rest of it is crucial imo.

Fellowship I believe is neither helped nor harmed by the added material, whether its the theatrical cut or the extended cut, its still a masterpiece and one of the finest films of the decade. Actually, I take that back, the extended is better by virtue of more scenes with Sean Bean.

As for ROTK, im still not too sure. The EE is looooooooooooooooong as hell, but there are some terrific scenes added back in. I think, ROTK is just already so long, you might as well watch the extended version for a fuller experience.

I'm glad though Jackson actually fimed that scene, because in the book the finale of Helm's Deep was just that ... and the Ent's finished off the fleeing orcs. :thumbsup:

leem6453 01-18-11 10:20 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10595198)
Not really. I just watched my BD of TTT and remembered something that bugged me when I saw it theatrically. The theatrical cut of TTT is made with the assumption that you watched the extended cut of TTT. Frodo suddenly knowing that Gollum's true name is Smeagol makes no sense given that he didn't learn his name in the theatrical cut of FOTR. that bit of information is given in the extended cut of FOTR.

Also, the theatrcial cut of TTT actually drags quite a bit. Particularly any scene regarding Eomer. He comes across as a complete dick in the theatrical cut and his scenes grind the film to a halt. The extended cut actually fleshes him out a whole lot better and takes him from annoying asshole in boring scenes to intruigingly troubled man in an interesting moral dilemam.

Actually, you are correct on that Roc. TTT is a much better film with the extended cut. Having said that, I don't think I'll upgrade since I already bought the theatrical blus, and I already own the extended dvds (which are great btw). Plus, the wife would kill me being that she hates double dipping when we already have the dvds. Her only exceptions are Star Wars and the Halloween series (I'm a Halloween fanatic).

slop101 01-18-11 10:31 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
I would love a 3rd cut of the movies, one that has pretty much everything that was filmed, edited into one, long single movie with no breaks - sorta like how Tolkien had written the book before it got split up by the publisher. I could see Jackson doing this before or after Hobbit comes out.

RocShemp 01-18-11 03:23 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10595551)
I would love a 3rd cut of the movies, one that has pretty much everything that was filmed, edited into one, long single movie with no breaks - sorta like how Tolkien had written the book before it got split up by the publisher. I could see Jackson doing this before or after Hobbit comes out.

Except that not everything could be put back in as certain scenes were reshoots. For instance, in the trailers, you see the action sequence when the elves save the Fellowship after they exit Moria. However, Jackson wanted to emphasize Gimli's distrust of Galadriel and thus cut that whole sequence and replaced it with a new sequence of Gimli talking to Frodo about Galadriel. In fact, the extended cut is awkward in this regard as Jackson then tried to re-incorporate the aftermath of the action sequence with the conversation with Gimli. That's why the Hobbits suddenly look really beaten up in the EE while Aragorn is negotiating with Haldir.

Haldir again proves problematic for the TTT portion of the films. Originally, Arwen was to arrive in Helm's Deep to aid Aragorn. The footage was shot and some pics were leaked online. Fans of the book went apeshit so the Helm's Deep sequence was reshot to feature Haldir and a company of elves arriving to assist Rohan.

The only alteration that was already handled (and rather well) was the fight between Aragorn and Sauron. Originally, Sauron was to appear as a rather handsome man and attempt to convince Aragorn to surrender. Aragorn refused and Sauron put on his armour (the same scene in the prologue of FOTR) and proceeded to kick Aragorn's ass until Gollum fell into Mount Doom with the Ring. I'm unsure if the Mouth of Sauron was a reshoot but I do know it's curious that his cadaver is missing after Aragorn beheads him in the EE. As for Sauron himself, although the parlay scene was cut, the actual fight was left in. Weta simply placed a CGI troll over Sauron during the fight. You can actually see a brief glimpse of the change in progress in one of the EE documentaries.

Giles 01-18-11 04:55 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
^ in regards to the Mouth of Sauron, I don't think that was a reshoot, but I could be wrong, before the movie was actually released theatrically, it was pretty well known that Bruce Spence was the actor for that role, but when the film was then released the scene was no where to be found, but yes I do find it odd that his body is nowhere to be scene after he loses his head by Aragon.

slop101 01-18-11 05:06 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10596095)
Except that not everything could be put back in as certain scenes were reshoots.

Well, I didn't mean literally everything, just the most footage they can while keeping everything as coherent and logical as possible.

Labor 01-18-11 11:53 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Its been so long since I watched the theatrical cuts, after looking up the differences, I couldn't believe that this scene was only in the Extended cut:

http://i.imgur.com/z5952.jpg

Giles 03-06-11 10:39 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Trilogy-.../dp/B0026L7H20

Trailer: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m3LI8C9D4PMBMT

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5206/32370411.jpg

Solid Snake 03-06-11 11:27 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
oddly enough...I was already signed up for notification for this when it gets a pre order date

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xXC_6L-rdWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fumanstan 03-06-11 11:44 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Pretty box.

And the trailers look like they're just for the normal versions.

MrStayPuft 03-06-11 12:51 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10667952)
Pretty box.

And the trailers look like they're just for the normal versions.

Yep, trailer even said "all three theatrical versions..."

Kory 03-06-11 02:20 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
That trailer embedded above says that, but the one linked to on Amazon's site is clearly the Extended version trailer.

BuckNaked2k 03-06-11 02:49 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Limited Extended Edition. "Limited"?....Really?

I'll bet it's "Limited" to how many they can sell.

Doctorossi 03-06-11 02:49 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
If that box image is legitimate/official, I think New Line ought to be a little more careful with their hype words. "Limited Extended Edition" is a very confusing contradiction-in-terms. Is it longer? Is it shorter? Is it longer and shorter?

Doctorossi 03-06-11 02:53 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10668099)
I'll bet it's "Limited" to how many they can sell.

Congratulations! You have #020347281/250000000.

ArghVil 03-06-11 02:57 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Let's hope they come up with a decent price ... Don't feel like paying 70-80$ for blurays i already own on dvds.

Solid Snake 03-06-11 02:59 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
ah shit...got the wrong one.

BuckNaked2k 03-06-11 03:38 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by ArghVil (Post 10668116)
Let's hope they come up with a decent price ... Don't feel like paying 70-80$ for Blu-rays I already own on DVD.

Patience is your friend. If you rush out and buy it Week #1, you'll pay through the nose. The prices on expensive Blu-ray sets have all come down rather quickly, with various Gold Box/Deal-of-the-day specials hitting within 60 days.

My pain threshold on this set is $50.

joltman 03-06-11 05:09 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Just noticed this on the Amazon description (emphasis mine):

The Quest Is Over: All 3 Extended Versions in Dazzling 1080p and DTS HD-MA 5.1 Audio. Deluxe Set Includes 9 Special Features DVDs with over 26 Hours of Spellbinding Behind-the-Moviemaking Material Including the Rare Costa Botes Documentaries.
I'm guessing that means that for each film, we get one Blu-ray disc and then discs 3 and 4 from the Extended Edition DVDs, and disc two from the Limited Editions.

PopcornTreeCt 03-06-11 05:10 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Can't wait.

Solid Snake 03-06-11 05:39 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by joltman (Post 10668301)
Just noticed this on the Amazon description (emphasis mine):

I'm guessing that means that for each film, we get one Blu-ray disc and then discs 3 and 4 from the Extended Edition DVDs, and disc two from the Limited Editions.

damn...that'd suck.

Superdaddy 03-06-11 07:11 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Not really interested in these at any kind of high price if all the extras are the same. I bought the theatrical BDs when they were $7.99 at amazon during Black Friday. I have the extendeds on DVD and will keep them as such unless the BDs come down to some unbelievable price. I smell a super-duper boxed set including these plus The Hobbit films down the road. I'll wait for that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.