DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/584544-lord-rings-extended-edition-out-2011-a.html)

rexinnih 11-22-11 02:19 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Jumped on this with Amazon when it hit $50. That was my point.

PopcornTreeCt 11-22-11 02:22 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
I did too.

Cellar Door 11-22-11 05:27 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
I put in my order Sunday night and chose the free SuperSaver shipping. I didn't really expect it to show up until sometime after Thanksgiving, but I got it in the mail today (Tuesday). Can't wait to view them!

PopcornTreeCt 11-24-11 01:55 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 10840748)
Going to do the whole trilogy tonight. I found it odd the cases are in reverse when you open it i.e top to bottom rotk ttt and fotr. I had to rearrange them back in proper order. I think i have ocd :lol:

I got my set today and had the same order. They actually are in the correct order standing up, left to right.

Mr.Briggs 11-29-11 08:13 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Wow. Ordered mine Black Friday night with SSS & it arrived today. Watching the bonus features discs until Dec. 7th when my new bigscreen & blu ray player are scheduled for setup & delivery. Then I watch the movies.

MaxH42 01-08-12 12:31 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
I found this thread searching for issues with LoTR EE code redemption, and I just thought I'd post my results: I went to the WBDigital support website, searched on the title (I wound up having to do this for each of the three), chose "What should I do if my Blu-ray Disc or DVD is missing the Digital Copy insert or the authorization code field is blank?", and clicked on the "here" link to submit a support request. I then got a very pleasant surprise, as after entering the information and clicking submit, a redemption code was actually given to me where I would expect a verification screen! They must know they had a huge problem with this set, and are sending out codes fairly freely (after some kind of automated fraud screening, I would think). I was quite surprised, especially considering how idiotic WB is being about trying to squeeze even more money out of that manufactured issue, the "rental window".

darkhawk 01-08-12 01:20 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Amazon has it for $48.49.

crazychris88 01-08-12 02:00 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
does this set have the documentaries that were included in the 5 disk sets of these? )The ones with like statures and bookends and shit)?

Solid Snake 01-08-12 03:11 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
f it's from the extended cuts on DVD. Yes. Sadly...they're just DVDs. The same damn DVDs. Not worth 48.49 if you ask me. I'd go w/ 40 considering I'm still getting the same features on the previous DVD sets....on DVD.

Jay G. 01-08-12 03:42 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by crazychris88 (Post 11068614)
does this set have the documentaries that were included in the 5 disk sets of these? )The ones with like statures and bookends and shit)?

Only the bonus DVDs from the 4 disc EE sets, plus the 2nd DVD from the LE set.

The 5th DVD in the "Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Sets" are not included. However, those are either available separately, or specific to the set.
  • The FOTR PSSEECGS had a DVD of "National Geographic Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring", which is available separately, although the set claims its DVD is a newer version with additional footage and photo gallery.
  • The TTT PSSEECGS had a DVD specifically on Weta Workshop and the Gollum statuette that came with the set.
  • The ROTK PSSEECGS had a DVD "Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony – A Composers Journey Through Middle-earth". This wasn't release separately, but Amazon has some listings of people selling off this DVD.

crazychris88 01-08-12 04:09 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 11068709)
Only the bonus DVDs from the 4 disc EE sets, plus the 2nd DVD from the LE set.

The 5th DVD in the "Platinum Series Special Extended Edition Collector's Gift Sets" are not included. However, those are either available separately, or specific to the set.
  • The FOTR PSSEECGS had a DVD of "National Geographic Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring", which is available separately, although the set claims its DVD is a newer version with additional footage and photo gallery.
  • The TTT PSSEECGS had a DVD specifically on Weta Workshop and the Gollum statuette that came with the set.
  • The ROTK PSSEECGS had a DVD "Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony A Composers Journey Through Middle-earth". This wasn't release separately, but Amazon has some listings of people selling off this DVD.

OH ok. Thanks. I have The Two TOwers set with the Gollum bonus DVD and statue but I was really hoping that the ""Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony " that was on Return...was included. Hmmm. I dunno if I still wanna buy this then I currently have the 2-Disk theatrical cuts on DVD, The 4 Disk Extended Cuts (5 disks for Two Towers) and the Limited Editions on DVD with the Exclusive Costa Botes DOcs.
Hmmm. I guess if no new content is on this and the Howard shore feature isnt included I pay have to pass on this. Will have to think on it.

Josh-da-man 01-08-12 08:11 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by crazychris88 (Post 11068735)
OH ok. Thanks. I have The Two TOwers set with the Gollum bonus DVD and statue but I was really hoping that the ""Howard Shore: Creating "The Lord of The Rings" Symphony " that was on Return...was included. Hmmm. I dunno if I still wanna buy this then I currently have the 2-Disk theatrical cuts on DVD, The 4 Disk Extended Cuts (5 disks for Two Towers) and the Limited Editions on DVD with the Exclusive Costa Botes DOcs.
Hmmm. I guess if no new content is on this and the Howard shore feature isnt included I pay have to pass on this. Will have to think on it.

You already have all of the bonus content that's on this blu-ray set, so the only thing you'd be getting is the extended cuts in 1080p.

I'm sort of in the same boat, only I don't have the Costa Botes docs. I might pick up this set if it's available for under $30 at some point.

RocShemp 01-08-12 09:31 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11069118)
I'm sort of in the same boat, only I don't have the Costa Botes docs. I might pick up this set if it's available for under $30 at some point.

The set is already at $50 so you won't have long to wait. :)

davidh777 06-18-12 12:11 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Bumping to mention that I got the set for Father's Day (suggested it when it was Amazon's Deal of the Week recently) and the digital copies expire on 6/26/12.

Michael Corvin 06-18-12 12:55 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't redeemed mine yet.

E Unit 06-25-12 09:52 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
Via blu-ray.com:

Individual Blu-rays for The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions

This summer, New Line and Warner Home Entertainment will bring the individual extended editions of the three films in director Peter Jackson's Academy Award-winning The Lord of the Rings Trilogy to Blu-ray.

These releases mark the first time the extended cuts have been available separately on the HD format. The trilogy includes:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Each individual five-disc set presents the features in their 2.39:1 original aspect ratio with 6.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track; Warner's press release has not specified if these new sets offer additional A/V upgrades from the previously available fifteen-disc extended edition trilogy. The packages also contain all of the bonus supplements that the earlier edition had.

The individual Lord of the Rings extended editions street on August 28th.

GreenVulture 06-26-12 12:01 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 11285342)
Via blu-ray.com:

Individual Blu-rays for The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions

I know lots of people will say "what's the point?" but I'll quote myself from many years ago on this forum:

Originally Posted by Myself
I know I'm in the minority, but I always preferred the theatrical cuts of FOTR and ROTK to their extended editions, which ranged from needless scene extensions (Fellowship) to excessively bloated (Return). The EE of Two Towers, however, is excellent, mainly because it felt like there were whole chunks of the film missing it its theatrical cut.

Add in the fact that the theatrical BD's are generally dirt cheap, and I'm quite looking forward to this release/reissue/whatever.

JackBurton 06-26-12 05:37 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
I agree. I'll pick up TTT: EE eventually when the price comes down. I prefer the theatricals for FOTR & ROTK.

Pizza 06-26-12 07:05 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
It's interesting to read how some people prefer the theatrical cuts for some of the films. I still remember the outrage a lot of folks had when they released the theatrical versions first.

Jay G. 06-26-12 07:17 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 11285569)
It's interesting to read how some people prefer the theatrical cuts for some of the films. I still remember the outrage a lot of folks had when they released the theatrical versions first.

And I remember a few people saying they preferred the theatricals back then. The internet's an echo chamber, and negative opinions are typically more strongly expressed.

That said, I do think that there are more people who prefer the extended editions to the theatricals (of those that have actually thought about a preference). Also, some of the outrage was not over the theatricals being released, but that the Extended Editions were being deliberately held back so as to maximize sales of the theatrical editions, then trying to get at least some to double-dip on the EEs. If the EEs had been released at the same time as the TEs, there would've been less complaints.

Pizza 06-26-12 07:39 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 11285578)
And I remember a few people saying they preferred the theatricals back then. The internet's an echo chamber, and negative opinions are typically more strongly expressed.

That said, I do think that there are more people who prefer the extended editions to the theatricals (of those that have actually thought about a preference). Also, some of the outrage was not over the theatricals being released, but that the Extended Editions were being deliberately held back so as to maximize sales of the theatrical editions, then trying to get at least some to double-dip on the EEs. If the EEs had been released at the same time as the TEs, there would've been less complaints.

Like I said. There was outrage over the theatricals being released first. I would also assume more people prefer the EE but then when I usually say something like that they'll always be someone demanding hard facts to back it up. We can at least say the EE fans were more vocal about it. I wonder how they'll re-release these films when The Hobbit hits home video?

Michael Corvin 06-26-12 07:58 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
I get there are people that like part of the theatricals and part of the extended editions, but the trilogies for each have been cheap enough to buy both. I know I got my EE for a $35 WM deal and the theatricals have been under $20, IIRC. So $55 for both versions of the trilogy on BD is very reasonable. Even if you're only wanting one of each film that's under $20 for each. Probably cheaper than mixing & matching various solo releases.

Plus the market for people that want some of one trilogy and some of the other has to be minuscule. It's great and I'm happy for you guys, but I still don't get it. Maybe it's for those that don't have the scratch to drop on the entire trilogy at once. :lol:

pinata242 06-26-12 08:35 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
It's been a while since I've watched the EEs (and even longer since the TEs) but I think there was really only one scene in the whole saga that I'd excise and that's the very first one coming out of the intermission on ROTK. The one that shows Aragorn and his ghost army taking over the corsairs. Unnecessary and completely ruins the surprise later.

Other than that, I don't have any problem with the EEs, that I can recall. It's hard to worry about pacing in movies that average four hours each.

Fok 06-26-12 11:29 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 
All this talk about LOTR. Might pull the set out and watch it :)

GreenVulture 06-26-12 12:11 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011
 

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 11285644)
I get there are people that like part of the theatricals and part of the extended editions, but the trilogies for each have been cheap enough to buy both. I know I got my EE for a $35 WM deal and the theatricals have been under $20, IIRC. So $55 for both versions of the trilogy on BD is very reasonable. Even if you're only wanting one of each film that's under $20 for each. Probably cheaper than mixing & matching various solo releases.

Plus the market for people that want some of one trilogy and some of the other has to be minuscule. It's great and I'm happy for you guys, but I still don't get it. Maybe it's for those that don't have the scratch to drop on the entire trilogy at once. :lol:

I can afford both trilogies, but it doesn't make much sense to buy 6 films when I'm only going to watch half of it.

Just looking at Amazon now: both sets would be about $120 total, while the individual theatrical discs are $10 each (and a couple of dollars less if buying used). I'm not in any rush to get these, so when I'm finally ready to purchase LOTR (new PC parts and equipment for some home remodeling projects have put a temporary kibosh on buying BDs), I figure I'll be able to get what I want for around $30.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.