DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/584544-lord-rings-extended-edition-out-2011-a.html)

Anubis2005X 06-28-11 11:08 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

Well, haven't been able to take a look at the film yet, but the packaging is BEAUTIFUL. Very impressed! I also love that it holds three more discs than the ol' DVD editions, yet it still takes up a fraction of the space.

Doctorossi 06-28-11 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10833791)
Shocked the guy who hangs on every word that they spit out, #3 poster in the Insider Thread (now locked - did they stop getting paid?), would take his word.

Gizmo, are you sure 'excessive quantity of forum posts' is really the stone you want to be throwing?

lewc 06-28-11 12:07 PM

My boxset arrived yesterday. The coupon for the extended edition digital copies was missing the authorization codes for the 3 movies. I have sent an email using the support link at wbdigitalcopy.com. Can anyone else confirm if this is just an one off issue?

Anubis2005X 06-28-11 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by lewc (Post 10834512)
My boxset arrived yesterday. The coupon for the extended edition digital copies was missing the authorization codes for the 3 movies. I have sent an email using the support link at wbdigitalcopy.com. Can anyone else confirm if this is just an one off issue?

Mine had various advertisements between two of the movies. One of these pieces of paper was the digital copy sheet complete with codes for download.

lewc 06-28-11 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 10834518)
Mine had various advertisements between two of the movies. One of these pieces of paper was the digital copy sheet complete with codes for download.

I have that sheet but the boxes for the 3 codes are blank. It has 1: Goto: 2: Follow the instructions 3: When prompted and 3 blank boxes where the codes should be.

Anubis2005X 06-28-11 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by lewc (Post 10834523)
I have that sheet but the boxes for the 3 codes are blank. It has 1: Goto: 2: Follow the instructions 3: When prompted and 3 blank boxes where the codes should be.

Gotcha, yeah, mine has codes on there. Probably just a fluke...

Mr. Cinema 06-28-11 12:33 PM

Has anyone entered the codes in their WB Rewards account? Curious to see how many points this set is offering.

E Unit 06-28-11 01:29 PM

It should be 10,000 points and a blowjob for us spending this kind of cash for this set.

mattysemo247 06-28-11 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 10834628)
It should be 10,000 points and a blowjob for us spending this kind of cash for this set.

Shit, I only got 10,000 points. I'll have to shoot them an e mail about the blowjob.

E Unit 06-28-11 01:59 PM

Depends where you live. Blowjobs not offered in Alaska, Idaho, Iowa, and Puerto Rico. But PR does offer handjobs. But that's just not the same.

bunkaroo 06-28-11 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 10834423)
Well, haven't been able to take a look at the film yet, but the packaging is BEAUTIFUL. Very impressed! I also love that it holds three more discs than the ol' DVD editions, yet it still takes up a fraction of the space.

I do like the packaging, but I won't be able to bring myself to selling my old EE boxes. Too much nostalgia - I remember getting those things one by one and devouring them.

milo bloom 06-28-11 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10834680)
I do like the packaging, but I won't be able to bring myself to selling my old EE boxes. Too much nostalgia - I remember getting those things one by one and devouring them.

I remember mailing off for that cardboard box that holds all three EEs and being tickled pink at getting that. Heck, I just threw away the box that box came in along with the letter not that long ago.

ds6161 06-28-11 04:13 PM

on my PS3 the Fellowship d1 after a stop & restart and when starting disc2 took 5 minutes to show the menus...
all it showed was a white spinning disc.
I think it was searching for stop points, but 5 minutes is crazy..
anyone else getting this?? or am I just lucky..

lewc 06-28-11 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ds6161 (Post 10834886)
on my PS3 the Fellowship d1 after a stop & restart and when starting disc2 took 5 minutes to show the menus...
all it showed was a white spinning disc.
I think it was searching for stop points, but 5 minutes is crazy..
anyone else getting this?? or am I just lucky..

You are most likely having the same issue listed below (cut and paste from an Avsforum post):

LOTR Extended Edition Playback Glitch
Some of you will probably be getting The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions on Blu-ray when they are released next week. Each of the three movies is split over two BDs. The first disc of each movie plays fine, but when you put in the second disc for each movie you'll get a big black screen of nothing using the BDP-S570.

All is not lost, though. There is one fix to rule them all. I tried the disc on my computer's BD drive and the menu on the second disc loaded fine. When you get the big black screen of nothing, just hit "enter" and the movie will start to play again. The menu isn't appearing on the screen, but what you are selecting is "continue film." After the movie starts again, you can select the pop-up menu to explore the other options.

Hope this saves some Middle Earth fans some grief next week.

FinkPish 06-28-11 05:59 PM

Watching the first movie now and I've compared the screenshots to my TV and it's not nearly as sickly green as the screenshots make it look. The balance still looks right, even if there is a bit more blue/green added; skintones look correct, skies look blue, etc. I'm very happy with this set.

TomOpus 06-28-11 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 10834720)
I remember mailing off for that cardboard box that holds all three EEs and being tickled pink at getting that.

It's a very nice set. I use the 2 book ends along with the box.

milo bloom 06-28-11 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 10835016)
It's a very nice set. I use the 2 book ends along with the box.

I never got those bookends, but one of these days I'm going to order Paul Champagnes metal box to hold the theatrical DVDs that's designed to look like the Unfinished Tales book.

DVD Polizei 06-28-11 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 10834548)
Has anyone entered the codes in their WB Rewards account? Curious to see how many points this set is offering.

They are only redeemable in Middle Earth.

Anubis2005X 06-28-11 09:56 PM

Fellowship looks stunning, and no, it's not like watching The Matrix or anything. Really glad I didn't pass on this...

EDIT: Yes, the colors have been tweaked, but they're not matching what I'm seeing online. On the mountain for example, it looks much bluer than the pic that's been posted previously. Also, I stared at "The Fellowship of the Ring" title to see if it looked greenish at all to me. Nope, looked completely white like it should. I don't know what to say, but I'm happy, looks amazing!

slop101 06-28-11 10:11 PM

Anyone who wants my codes, PM me - first come, first served.

*edit: And they're gone. Thanks for playing!

moonraker 06-28-11 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 10835249)
Fellowship looks stunning, and no, it's not like watching The Matrix or anything. Really glad I didn't pass on this...

EDIT: Yes, the colors have been tweaked, but they're not matching what I'm seeing online. On the mountain for example, it looks much bluer than the pic that's been posted previously. Also, I stared at "The Fellowship of the Ring" title to see if it looked greenish at all to me. Nope, looked completely white like it should. I don't know what to say, but I'm happy, looks amazing!

Thanks for posting this. My set should arrive tomorrow.... I had been thinking about sending it back unopened and getting a refund because of the reported color issue.... but after seeing your post I'm leaning towards keeping it.

ozzfan84 06-28-11 10:39 PM

I'm happy with Fellowship. I don't notice anything funny about it and it looks beautiful. Some nitpickers will say otherwise, but I consider myself a nitpicker and I'm happy.

Cedrock 06-28-11 10:52 PM

im happy i took today and tomorrow off from work to watch these, the packaging is fine that holds all 3 movies, but i like the design and material used for each movie. having to change disc still sucks but the quality is worth it!

ozzfan84 06-29-11 01:25 AM

I agree that the packaging is top notch. I was scared after opening up the Stanley Kubrick set just a few weeks ago! The black cases for each film look super classy.

DVD Polizei 06-29-11 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cedrock (Post 10835293)
im happy i took today and tomorrow off from work to watch these, the packaging is fine that holds all 3 movies, but i like the design and material used for each movie. having to change disc still sucks but the quality is worth it!

I'm not too concerned with having two discs per movie, either.

I really can't imagine why Blu-ray player manufacturers haven't come up with a two-disc player for such movies. This would be a killer feature.