DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/584544-lord-rings-extended-edition-out-2011-a.html)

Fok 06-29-11 02:06 AM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

I think the packaging is great. The EE ones were nice as well. For a second I was considering switching the disks out. So what is everyone going to do with their old EE sets?

Giles 06-29-11 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 10835181)
They are only redeemable in Middle Earth.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RobLutter 06-29-11 07:45 AM

Sold my EEs on Amazon Marketplace for $38 total a few months ago. Went a ways towards the upgrade!

I feel no attachment to larger packaging that has the same content. :D

BTW: LOVE the new packaging. The magnetic clasp, thick chipboard box, and special black 5-disc BD elite cases make it feel really special. Love that they give people the option to display just the cases on the shelf as some people are into that.

OldBoy 06-29-11 08:40 AM

i like the packaging, but i decided to put the 6 movie discs in the Canadian SteelBook™. Still makes for a very nice presentation and not so much worried about all the supplements at this time.

Mr. Cinema 06-29-11 08:47 AM

Got my set from Amazon last night. Love the packaging. The outer case is very classy and sturdy and the black cases are slick. I watched part of FOTR last night, about 40 minutes, and I didn't see any kind of teal/green tint. Everything looked normal to me. The sky was blue. When the Ringwraith first shows up in town, I did notice a very, very slight teal tint in the night. There may be more instances of that throughout the film, but nothing I have seen so far is worth losing sleep over, or throwing massive fits on forums.

Xander 06-29-11 09:27 AM

I'm still planning on getting these, but they need to come down in price a little first. Glad the color timing doesn't sound as bad as it originally seemed.

Mr. Cinema 06-29-11 10:18 AM

Each digital copy code is worth 150 pts for the WB Insider Rewards program.

bunkaroo 06-29-11 10:56 AM

I hate to say it, but what I'm seeing on my ISF'd display is almost dead on with the screenshots that have been posted. The shot of the four hobbits sitting in the snow does look that green.

I did not hold any piece of white paper up to the screen first and I did not look at the TE first. I just started the disc, darkened the room and turned on the backlight behind my display for bias lighting. I could see the tint on the title card right away.

What I'm hoping is when I start the movie and actually watch it all the way through my eyes will adjust.

Superdaddy 06-29-11 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fok (Post 10835409)
I think the packaging is great. The EE ones were nice as well. For a second I was considering switching the disks out. So what is everyone going to do with their old EE sets?

I don't have the BD yet as I'm waiting to get it when it's cheaper. Although I could use the shelf space, I'll probably hang onto the DVDs for a while at least after I get it, just so I have both of the color timings. (The new FOTR doesn't scare me, I'm just hopelessly anal. Ask my wife).

Anubis2005X 06-29-11 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Superdaddy (Post 10835873)
(I'm just hopelessly anal. Ask my wife).

:eyebrow:

Superdaddy 06-29-11 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X (Post 10836014)
:eyebrow:

:lol:

Ya got me there.

Mitsurugi 06-29-11 03:54 PM

Any of you guys going to marathon these?

BurnCard 06-29-11 04:27 PM

I kinda feel like I'm taking crazy pills with this. The green on FOTR is unbearable, and it got to me right away. The title card is green, the once beautiful blue sky in the shire is now a muddy gray, and I can't STAND how gold and yellow look, they look like a yellow crayon.

I thought that FOTR was the best looking of all the movies, it had a national geographic, realistic look, and now it looks over-stylized. The only advantage to doing this is to make the CGI feel less dated, but I really feel that it hurts the experience.

aintnosin 06-29-11 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BurnCard (Post 10836222)
I kinda feel like I'm taking crazy pills with this. The green on FOTR is unbearable, and it got to me right away. The title card is green, the once beautiful blue sky in the shire is now a muddy gray, and I can't STAND how gold and yellow look, they look like a yellow crayon.

Either they released two versions of the FOTR VBD, one green and the other not, just to fuck with or some of us have some screwed up displays. I've watched FOTR and found the color 95% the way I remember it from watching the DVDs. The places where I notice any difference, it's very, very subtle.

Anubis2005X 06-29-11 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by BurnCard (Post 10836222)

I thought that FOTR was the best looking of all the movies, it had a national geographic, realistic look, and now it looks over-stylized. The only advantage to doing this is to make the CGI feel less dated, but I really feel that it hurts the experience.

Sorry to hear that man. One idea I heard is to set up a new user setting for your tv/projector for use when watching that specific movie. Might help...

Anubis2005X 06-29-11 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by aintnosin (Post 10836240)
Either they released two versions of the FOTR VBD, one green and the other not, just to fuck with or some of us have some screwed up displays. I've watched FOTR and found the color 95% the way I remember it from watching the DVDs. The places where I notice any difference, it's very, very subtle.

Same here. I even paused a few scenes on my tv and then looked at the pictures online and there was quite a big difference. Don't know what the deal is, but I think it looks fantastic.

Lastblade 06-29-11 08:14 PM

It could be (most likely) the color/contrast setting on your HDTV.

Quack 06-29-11 09:12 PM

This guy did an unboxing and got 2 Part two discs lol :lol:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7lPjI9VXvHU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pinata242 06-29-11 09:56 PM

^ :lol: it's at 5:30 in the video.

I still don't understand unboxing videos.

whotony 06-29-11 09:58 PM

Hmm I saw a jump cut right before he pulled the cases out of the box.

Also if anyone wants that Best Buy Ring it's on the .com for $4.99.

RobLutter 06-29-11 10:10 PM

WTF is that guy's problem with the cases? I think they're marvelous.

pinata242 06-29-11 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by RobLutter (Post 10836555)
WTF is that guy's problem with the cases? I think they're marvelous.

They're not as big and blue. Duh!

Anubis2005X 06-29-11 10:27 PM

What's his accent? "Part teyooo..." :lol:

Solid Snake 06-29-11 10:39 PM

I'm assuming there was that skip..cuz...I dunno...the moment he realized that...he probably got pissed..later composed himself....finished the video

dsa_shea 06-29-11 10:53 PM

Still don't understand why they couldn't have thrown all 3 dvds of the special features onto one bd.

Superdaddy 06-30-11 04:58 AM

From looking at other forums, it appears that a bunch of these incorrect sets are out there, that have some disc missing while another is duplicated. (I think some people on amazon have mentioned it).

I would be incredibly annoyed myself if I found that.

Anubis2005X 06-30-11 06:36 AM

I was kind of surprised to see that the DVDs are labelled as 2011 and not 2002 through 2004. At least they're not completely recycled. :lol:

milo bloom 06-30-11 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea (Post 10836609)
Still don't understand why they couldn't have thrown all 3 dvds of the special features onto one bd.

Discussed up thread already, that would have meant re-authoring all the menus. This way they can just dump the digital files from 8 years ago and not have to pay somebody to link them all to one menu.

Also, at this point in the DVD lifecycle, it's probably still cheaper to press 3 DVDs and pay for a multi disc case, than it is to press one Bluray.

slop101 06-30-11 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 10836950)
Discussed up thread already, that would have meant re-authoring all the menus. This way they can just dump the digital files from 8 years ago and not have to pay somebody to link them all to one menu.

Also, at this point in the DVD lifecycle, it's probably still cheaper to press 3 DVDs and pay for a multi disc case, than it is to press one Bluray.

Which would be all well and good if this was a bargain-priced release. It's not. It's priced the same as a full-blown new release. Re-authoring and compiling the extras onto one BD, especially on a BD set, is pretty much what we're paying for here, but not getting.

Doctorossi 06-30-11 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10837002)
Which would be all well and good if this was a bargain-priced release. It's not. It's priced the same as a full-blown new release. Re-authoring and compiling the extras onto one BD, especially on a BD set, is pretty much what we're paying for here, but not getting.

Exactly.

nmr1723 06-30-11 11:04 AM

This is my biggest beef with this set. I'm hoping for a bare bones movie only release for the Extended Editions or a massive price drop on this set. Current DVD EE owners already have all of the SD features (except the Costa docs). I may bite around $40-$45...but at $70 this is not worth it if you already have the DVD Extended Editions...in my opinion...of course.

kefrank 06-30-11 11:04 AM

+1

The approach taken is inconsistent with a package of this purported caliber. The Alien Quadrilogy set is an example of how to do it right.

joltman 06-30-11 11:12 AM

Did anyone ever look at the disc sizes to see if the films needed to be split over two discs?

Doctorossi 06-30-11 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by joltman (Post 10837114)
Did anyone ever look at the disc sizes to see if the films needed to be split over two discs?

Yes, and they did.

DaveNinja 06-30-11 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mitsurugi (Post 10836172)
Any of you guys going to marathon these?

yes but probably not until around new years.
i've had "lord of the rings fest" a couple times in the past; had friends over; LotR inspired foods (like rabbit); lots of drinking

Solid Snake 06-30-11 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 10837118)
Yes, and they did.

sooo...give us specs on them. Like..how big is it on the BD?

Doctorossi 06-30-11 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10837133)
sooo...give us specs on them. Like..how big is it on the BD?

How much you paying me to do your research?

Solid Snake 06-30-11 11:40 AM

I can stop cursing for an hour on here.

That's a pretty fucking big deal here.

Anubis2005X 06-30-11 11:53 AM

Actually I don't really mind having the special features on DVD. PS3 currently upscales DVDs but not SD content on Blu-ray discs. Seems kind of silly that they still haven't updated that feature, but eh well...

DGibFen 06-30-11 01:22 PM

GB size of movies (not including other metadata or other video files on disc*):

FOTR: (Total run time of 3:48):
- Disc 1: 29.6 GB
- Disc 2: 34.3 GB
- Total size: 63.9 GB

Two Towers: (Total run time of 3:55):
- Disc 1: 29.6 GB
- Disc 2: 36 GB
- Total size: 65.6 GB

ROTK (Total run time of 4:23):
- Disc 1: 35.9 GB
- Disc 2: 38.7 GB
- Total size: 74.6 GB

*Unlike the *.VOB (DVD) file structure, the *.m2ts video file in a BD-ROM does not have to be broken up into 1 GB chunks.