DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/584544-lord-rings-extended-edition-out-2011-a.html)

Solid Snake 06-16-11 03:41 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

See? It's not crazy to worry about colortiming..it's a big damn deal.

Giles 06-16-11 03:45 PM

I remember on one of the EE discs the featurettes documenting the color grading, that alot of time and attention was given in the DI process to the look of 'Fellowship' - here though the bluray's color altering pretty much negates that - this all seems like another freak out to the supposed 'mess up' on the Ten Commandment's bluray release (which was grossly overreacted to).

lizard 06-16-11 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10819860)
See? It's not crazy to worry about colortiming..it's a big damn deal.

Not necessarily. Anyone who has used tinted ski goggles is likely aware that the brain adjusts to the color tint in short order. Seeing differences side-by-side may show differences that are much less perceptible when viewing the movie as a whole. That's one of the problems with screen captures.

Gizmo 06-16-11 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k (Post 10819511)
So, does this mean there is still time to fix any isses prior to the release date of 6/28?? I would think all of the discs are already pressed, packaged, and ready to go. Recall, maybe???

They are all pressed. Reviewers should be getting it tomorrow. Bill, as usual, is "special" as he's on studios payroll. That's why some people don't trust his reviewers, as he gets paid by the studios for advertisement. Journalistic integrity is thrown at the window (i.e. his BDA Party during the format war most of us talk about).

Gizmo 06-16-11 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10819583)
I hope you're not trying to suggest I took Bill's review as gospel. I'm not sure I've ever really thought much of TDB's technical reviews. They're good for certain news scoops.

Just laughing at the demonstrated instant vitriol when Hunt's name is mentioned., It's been over 3 years since HD DVD died - geez.

I guess I'll just stay in my house - don't want any blowback from the internet explosion. :)

No, no. I'm was commenting on your jest. And after all this, yeah, when you are on a studios payroll, it's questionable. HDD does not receive money directly from the studios to advertise. Nor do most websites. I don't believe DVDTalk does (at least, maybe not anymore since IB Brands owns them). I'm sure Supr could comment.

Gizmo 06-16-11 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10819841)
See that's my point. If they screwed the color timing because they needed to do a new master of FOTR and wound up messing with the color, then it needs to be fixed. If, however, the color timing was a creative decision, I would think the timing would have been adjusted for all three films. Unfortunately it sounds like the former may be true.

Which means Bill was wrong and either didn't review the disc properly (i.e. just skimmed through) or he was doing something else. I'll have to check out that B-R-.com thread. Should be great.

Gizmo 06-16-11 07:52 PM

And FYI - Warner does not allow screencaps to be posted. If they find out, they go bonkers. If you buy your own discs, you can do what you want (i.e. DVDBeaver). Of course, some times get away with it...

Arthur Dent 06-16-11 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10820126)
They are all pressed. Reviewers should be getting it tomorrow. Bill, as usual, is "special" as he's on studios payroll. That's why some people don't trust his reviewers, as he gets paid by the studios for advertisement. Journalistic integrity is thrown at the window (i.e. his BDA Party during the format war most of us talk about).

My beef with Bill Hunt is that he thinks his website is the shit and is the premiere destination for Blu-ray and DVD news but he treats it like a little side hobby. "Oh, sorry, guys; my dad's boss's neighbor's son's friend's dog delivered puppies today. Sadly, that means there will be no update."

Matthew Chmiel 06-16-11 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft (Post 10819614)

Good to see Warner apply the look of The Matrix for Lord of the Rings. :thumbsup:

I'm sorry, but Warner fucked this set up from day one with the announcement they were going to be using nine DVDs for all of the bonus materials rather than BDs. Even if everything is standard definition (8GB a disc max, 72GB maximum total of standard definition content in MPEG-2) they could've used 2-3 BDs instead. That's just cheap and fucking lazy.

slop101 06-16-11 09:34 PM

So what's the packaging on this cluster-fuck gonna be like?

DGibFen 06-16-11 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft (Post 10819614)
For those that havn't seen them yet, here are some examples from AVS forum. I think I read that the issue is only on Fellowship as well.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59846

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59855

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59621

Credit goes to Litlgi74 over at avsforum for posting

Well, crap. That's NOT what I saw Tuesday night in the theater.

musick 06-16-11 10:48 PM

http://blubrew.com/2011/06/16/the-fe...ended-edition/

Arthur Dent 06-16-11 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10820250)

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...dsglamshot.jpg

GreenMonkey 06-17-11 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by DGibFen (Post 10820310)
Well, crap. That's NOT what I saw Tuesday night in the theater.

agreed (I went too).

I distinctly remember the Council scene looking its normal warm, orangy color. I remember the white snow being very white.

From the screenshots at blubrew it seems like only the white snow scenes look really bad. Everything else seems either OK or sometimes better (the Saruman/top of Orthanc scene at the screenshot comparison site looked LESS blue / better IMO).

The white scenes look kinda terrible though.

Superdaddy 06-17-11 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 10820250)

I've seen pics of it somewhere, but don't have the time to try to find them now.

It's three five-disc BD cases in a box with a foldout cover that has a map of Middle-Earth.

The cases are black plastic rather than the usual blue.

mattysemo247 06-17-11 07:29 AM

Full review from Bluray.com. Sounds good to me. Glad I preordered this when B&N had their 50% sale

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo.../12237/#Review

Adam Tyner 06-17-11 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10820147)
And FYI - Warner does not allow screencaps to be posted. If they find out, they go bonkers. If you buy your own discs, you can do what you want (i.e. DVDBeaver). Of course, some times get away with it...

They've never complained about my screen caps, as far as I know. I'm not sure how many radars I'm on, though. :)

Solid Snake 06-17-11 08:42 AM

Damn...that is fucking dark....I don't remember it being that dark...

http://images3.blu-ray.com/reviews/4424_4.jpg

Gizmo 06-17-11 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 10820558)
They've never complained about my screen caps, as far as I know. I'm not sure how many radars I'm on, though. :)

You got lucky. We had to remove out Batman Anthology caps even though they looked awesome. Of course, we had to use their supplied crappy looking images....sigh.

bunkaroo 06-17-11 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10820127)
No, no. I'm was commenting on your jest. And after all this, yeah, when you are on a studios payroll, it's questionable. HDD does not receive money directly from the studios to advertise. Nor do most websites. I don't believe DVDTalk does (at least, maybe not anymore since IB Brands owns them). I'm sure Supr could comment.

I'll just ask for my own edification - you know for a fact TDB is on the WB payroll?

bunkaroo 06-17-11 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10820134)
Which means Bill was wrong and either didn't review the disc properly (i.e. just skimmed through) or he was doing something else. I'll have to check out that B-R-.com thread. Should be great.

I fully agree the timeline is not good for the review - it does show a glossing over. Which would be OK if the initial post had been something like "on a cursory glance detail looks great, etc. I will more fully review in the next few days." That's probably what should have happened.

Ahab 06-17-11 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 10820556)
Full review from Bluray.com. Sounds good to me. Glad I preordered this when B&N had their 50% sale

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lo.../12237/#Review

I'm going to wait and check it out with a rental first.

Haven't been happy with the screenshots I've seen so far. Why do they look so much darker?

Anubis2005X 06-17-11 11:00 AM

Personally, as a whole, I think the new transfer looks fantastic. The color looks just a tad wonky in a couple of the shots, but overall I think it looks great. I'm surprised by how bright and washed out the old transfer looks to me now. Guess we'll see once I see the actual disc for myself...

EDIT: Maybe it's just personal preference, but I think the EE version looks much improved in this shot. http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59855

Solid Snake 06-17-11 11:04 AM

TT and RoTK look solid. I can't tell much from the caps. it's FoTR where shit gets crazy...

Josh Z 06-17-11 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10819841)
See that's my point. If they screwed the color timing because they needed to do a new master of FOTR and wound up messing with the color, then it needs to be fixed. If, however, the color timing was a creative decision, I would think the timing would have been adjusted for all three films. Unfortunately it sounds like the former may be true.

From what I understand, only the first film has actually been remastered, which gave Jackson and the DP the opportunity to adjust the color timing on it. They've admitted to doing as much. The question is whether the Blu-rays accurately reflect their new color timing, or whether Warner somehow screwed it up during disc mastering. (People say the discs look different than the current theatrical re-release.)

I do not know the answer to this. But if it does turn out that the new colors are Jackson's doing, this wouldn't be the first time a filmmaker has made questionable decisions regarding the way his movie should be presented.