DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/584544-lord-rings-extended-edition-out-2011-a.html)

bunkaroo 06-15-11 01:10 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Edition out in 2011

I'll reserve my judgment until I see them for myself.

But you and I both know criticism is going to go into mega-overdrive because of the stature of these titles. It's going to be even worse when SW hits in September.

If PJ was involved with the timing changes, what then? Since the EE's were technically not theatrical films, should there be outrage over changing them from their original incarnation?

The shot I saw of the mountain pass is obviously much different. It makes me wonder if this could be a case where someone wanted this scene to seem like it was later in the day. I recall they finished a lot of FX specifically for the EE's. This could be considered a similar situation. A more important question for me would be, is this new look consistent with the TTT:EE and ROTK:EE BD's? FOTR is going to get the brunt of the scrutiny since the DVD and even TE BD was lacking in PQ.

I'm trying to be careful to not sound like an apologist here, because I have no allegiance to any review site or studio. I'm just poking some fun at the hysteria which is already emerging. The reality is, I will buy this set in two weeks, and I will watch it. Unless something makes me think "WTF!" while I'm watching it, I'll be happy to own it.

FinkPish 06-15-11 01:11 PM

Since the DP and Jackson were involved in these new transfers, I would think that what we are getting is what they wanted. If people are unhappy with what they've done, there are other versions to own, if color-timing is so high on one's list of dealbreakers.

Solid Snake 06-15-11 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by FinkPish (Post 10818075)
Since the DP and Jackson were involved in these new transfers, I would think that what we are getting is what they wanted. If people are unhappy with what they've done, there are other versions to own, if color-timing is so high on one's list of dealbreakers.

I'm not comparing..but what you said seems like something that would come from Lucas in some form.

For the most part...I prefer the film to look as it originally did. I'm really wondering how the color timing looks like....we need screen caps.

FinkPish 06-15-11 01:42 PM

We are talking about some color timing tweaks, not re-edits, new scenes, more creatures to clutter the screen, bad CGI additions, etc. If color timing changes is such a deal breaker, then don't buy the new ones and keep your old versions. It's really that simple.

RocShemp 06-15-11 02:45 PM

So basically they did what the Wachowski's did when The Matrix was released on HD DVD and BD. I don't recall much outrage there.

bunkaroo 06-15-11 03:02 PM

(Popular title with geeks + minor tweaks) * internet amplification = OUTRAGE!

Josh-da-man 06-15-11 07:13 PM

Screen caps can be found in the AVS and blu-ray.com threads, though you'll have to do some digging to find them. Here's a post that compares a lot of screen caps from the EE DVD with the EE Blu.

E Unit 06-15-11 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10818252)
(Popular title with geeks + minor tweaks) * internet amplification = OUTRAGE!

You forgot one part of that equation:

(Popular title with geeks + minor tweaks) * internet amplification + ANYTHING BILL HUNT TALKS ABOUT CAUSE HE'S ON THE TAKE = OUTRAGE!

Solid Snake 06-15-11 07:19 PM

damn...some of the caps for the BD take some of warmth from the shots, which I liked...and the green tint kind of ruins other shots. While In some shots the changes actually benefit (toning some of that heavy orange at the council thing)....especially the whole ring backstory scenes. :(

DVD Polizei 06-15-11 08:10 PM

If the greens are that bad...I'm just gonna use those features on my 50" Panny Plasma that I've always wanted a reason to use them for.

Josh-da-man 06-15-11 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10818612)
damn...some of the caps for the BD take some of warmth from the shots, which I liked...and the green tint kind of ruins other shots. While In some shots the changes actually benefit (toning some of that heavy orange at the council thing)....especially the whole ring backstory scenes. :(

Yeah, I really don't know what to think. There are a lot more caps out there on both blu-ray.com and AVS, some of them with green-tinted snow and aquamarine skies. There are even claims that the white out when Frodo goes unconscious and wakes up in Rivendell are now green instead of white. (The final set of images on the first page of caps above shows the green-tinted sky; likewise the final image on page two of Gandalf arriving at Isengard also looks like it was too heavily pushed green; it sort of makes me queasy, like I'm looking through green tinted glasses. Note that the snow on the mountains has a faint green tint to it.)

The orange/gold hue from the Fellowship being formed at the Council of Elrond scene I always liked because -- where I live, anyway -- certain atmospheric conditions will make the world appear that way, particularly if there's a big storm on the way. (Sometimes sunsets will produce a similar effect.)

DGibFen 06-15-11 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 10818728)
Yeah, I really don't know what to think. There are a lot more caps out there on both blu-ray.com and AVS, some of them with green-tinted snow and aquamarine skies. There are even claims that the white out when Frodo goes unconscious and wakes up in Rivendell are now green instead of white. (The final set of images on the first page of caps above shows the green-tinted sky; likewise the final image on page two of Gandalf arriving at Isengard also looks like it was too heavily pushed green; it sort of makes me queasy, like I'm looking through green tinted glasses. Note that the snow on the mountains has a faint green tint to it.)

The orange/gold hue from the Fellowship being formed at the Council of Elrond scene I always liked because -- where I live, anyway -- certain atmospheric conditions will make the world appear that way, particularly if there's a big storm on the way. (Sometimes sunsets will produce a similar effect.)

What I saw at the theatrical presentation of the "Remastered" EE of Fellowship last night wasn't as heavily tinted as the original DVD version of the EE. It looked more natural in tone, but with just enough coloring to retain the "fantasy" aspect of the work. I didn't see the "green tint" issue that some are seeing over at AVS.

As far as any other work (CGI fixing, edits, etc), I'm pretty sure that nothing has changed. Some of the green screen shots look a bit dated, and the shot of the CGI-enhanced ruins (this is the scene right before the Fellowship "tracking hero shot", as I call it) still looks like obvious CGI. I don't think Gollum's appearance was even fixed, although Jackson talked about doing so to match his appearance in the later films on the EE commentary track.

I will say that this is the best picture/print/transfer (whatever you refer to digital projection) I've seen of FOTR:EE to date, and I've seen the movie in theaters 3-4 times (including the FOTR:EE showing right before ROTK was released).

Gizmo 06-16-11 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10818045)
Ahh yes, AVS, the bastion of rationality.

People are going to find something not to like about these. Or, to put it in a more modern vernacular, "haters gonna hate".

The past 24 hours have exploded:
You can start here:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/-gen...ml#post2195034

I hope you guys are this efficient when you get your copy. Bill Hunt posted today that his review copy showed up at his door this morning -

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

And later in the day posts his review heaping lavish praise on them, having watched all 12+ hours of the EE in just a few hours -

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...ews061411.html
with a special appearance by BILL HUNT himself trying to defend himself!

@headgeek666 Harry Knowles
Ok folks, Peter Jackson is contacting Andrew Lesnie re: the Green tint issues allegedly with the FOTR:EE Blu... Hopefully this is fixed.
You guys can judge for yourselves. Looks we got Hunt doing another "this is awesome bla bla bla" for the studios. Gotta keep those checks rolling in I guess. Looks like he just sampled a few scenes here and there and called it a day. Ahh well, you guys have fun with this. I'll stick with the Theatricals I got for $15 or so after selling the Digital Copies.

islandclaws 06-16-11 10:43 AM

That forum link almost made my head explode.

Giles 06-16-11 10:52 AM

I'm really not a fan of Bill Hunt's critical eye to audio and video - am quite anxious to read some more online reviews when they begin to materalize.

GoldenJCJ 06-16-11 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 10818612)

Just judging from some of those shots even the Shire has a green tint! So the original bright greens and blues now have a darker greenish tint. So much for the contrasting of the depressing, gray Middle Earth with the beautiful serenity of the Shire.

BuckNaked2k 06-16-11 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10819248)
...with a special appearance by BILL HUNT himself trying to defend himself!

@headgeek666 Harry KnowlesOk folks, Peter Jackson is contacting Andrew Lesnie re: the Green tint issues allegedly with the FOTR:EE Blu... Hopefully this is fixed.

So, does this mean there is still time to fix any isses prior to the release date of 6/28?? I would think all of the discs are already pressed, packaged, and ready to go. Recall, maybe???

bunkaroo 06-16-11 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 10819248)
The past 24 hours have exploded:
You can start here:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/-gen...ml#post2195034

with a special appearance by BILL HUNT himself trying to defend himself!

You guys can judge for yourselves. Looks we got Hunt doing another "this is awesome bla bla bla" for the studios. Gotta keep those checks rolling in I guess. Looks like he just sampled a few scenes here and there and called it a day. Ahh well, you guys have fun with this. I'll stick with the Theatricals I got for $15 or so after selling the Digital Copies.

I hope you're not trying to suggest I took Bill's review as gospel. I'm not sure I've ever really thought much of TDB's technical reviews. They're good for certain news scoops.

Just laughing at the demonstrated instant vitriol when Hunt's name is mentioned., It's been over 3 years since HD DVD died - geez.

I guess I'll just stay in my house - don't want any blowback from the internet explosion. :)

bunkaroo 06-16-11 12:54 PM

Oh and I still have yet to see anything on whether this look is consistent across all three movies. If it isn't then of course it needs to be fixed. If it is, then we have two options - either PJ and crew agree this is good and it's what we get, or they redo them all and we wait for that.

MrStayPuft 06-16-11 01:15 PM

For those that havn't seen them yet, here are some examples from AVS forum. I think I read that the issue is only on Fellowship as well.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59846

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59855

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/59621

Credit goes to Litlgi74 over at avsforum for posting

TheMovieman 06-16-11 02:16 PM

Wow, that's bad... What is it with Warner and the transfers for FOTR?

Jay G. 06-16-11 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 10819708)
Wow, that's bad... What is it with Warner and the transfers for FOTR?

Fellowship was the only one that wasn't 100% digitally graded on its initial release, which meant some of it was on film only. Previous transfers had to transfer from film, which was probably the cause of some issues. I think the TE also took from an older HD transfer.

After ROTK, John Leslie was able to go back and digitally transfer and grade all of the rest of FOTR, and this Blu-ray was supposed to be taken from that newly complete DI. It's possible that at least some of the color changes are due to that later digital grading, but some if it could possibly be some sort of mistake.

Giles 06-16-11 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 10819590)
Oh and I still have yet to see anything on whether this look is consistent across all three movies. If it isn't then of course it needs to be fixed. If it is, then we have two options - either PJ and crew agree this is good and it's what we get, or they redo them all and we wait for that.

not to reiterate what MrStayPuff has stated but jumping between AVS and blu-ray.com it sounds like 'Fellowship' is the film with the color adjustments - the folk over at blu-ray.com are going ballistic - which in of itself is an amusing read.

bunkaroo 06-16-11 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 10819793)
not to reiterate what MrStayPuff has stated but jumping between AVS and blu-ray.com it sounds like 'Fellowship' is the film with the color adjustments - the folk over at blu-ray.com are going ballistic - which in of itself is an amusing read.

See that's my point. If they screwed the color timing because they needed to do a new master of FOTR and wound up messing with the color, then it needs to be fixed. If, however, the color timing was a creative decision, I would think the timing would have been adjusted for all three films. Unfortunately it sounds like the former may be true.

Artman 06-16-11 03:32 PM

There's so many possible scenarios right now it's hard to keep track.... a mass production error made after PJ gave approval (explaining the current theatrical screenings rave reviews), an error only on certain copies, incorrect screenshots to begin with... or the screens are correct and people who have viewed the discs don't notice or mind. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out...

You'd think the studios would try not to mess up their big releases, but they manage to keep finding ways to do it. (packaging, audio, video, etc)