Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Knight&Day BR Extended Cut? Where?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I keep reading about an Extended Cut for Knight & Day, adding about 10 mins to the film, with more action, some more dialogue, and an alternate opening.

The only place I can find this Extended Cut is the On Demand PPV on amazon.com

I recently purchased the 3-disc Blu-Ray combo pack and was dissapointed to find it only contained the theatrical version....what the eff gives with that?

Is this longer cut not available in the US on Blu-Ray??

BTW, I found this movie to be a guilty pleasure - its full of plot holes and illogical action, but if viewed as a spoof or a parody, with the right frame of mind, this movie is very entertaining. Diaz is getting quite unattractive lately, her face has turned monstrous and is hard to view in close-ups, but her comedic timing is still spot on, and she is still full of energy; but has unfortunately lost her looks, probably from all that botox in her face. Cruise is very funny in this, and actually looks alot like early 90's Cruise, the reverse of Diaz. The plot is generic, but the laughs and the silly insane action are rife in the movie. A good distraction with many flaws, hardly a masterpiece of cinema lol.

anyways.....I liked it enough to get the BR and am now quite upset that the Extended Cut is not available to US consumers. This movie is not good enough to warrant a double-dip if they do a re-release!!!
And considering the paltry box-office, you think they would want to cash in on the home market with a truly fully-loaded BR release.

Last edited by IstvanTheHun; 12-20-10 at 02:39 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-20-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Knight&Day BR Extended Cut? Where?

It's not available in the US because the film was an underperformer in the US. It was a huge hit internationally, so those other regions got the Extended Cut.
Old 12-20-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
It's not available in the US because the film was an underperformer in the US. It was a huge hit internationally, so those other regions got the Extended Cut.
If that were the case, then why did Fox (same studio) release an extended cut of The A-Team? They both made around the same domestically ($77.2m for AT, $76.4m for K&D) and both cost about the same ($110m for AT, $117m for K&D). So while yes K&D made far more overseas ($85m) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they left off an extended cut in the States (yet that cut is available to watch On Demand with Comcast).

But for whatever reason, still sucks. Will be watching to see if an extended cut overseas goes for a low price (the one on Amazon.co.uk is $29.xx, far too much).
Old 12-20-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Will be watching to see if an extended cut overseas goes for a low price (the one on Amazon.co.uk is $29.xx, far too much).
It's $23.67 after VAT is removed for shipping to the U.S.
Old 12-20-10, 03:55 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

if you can wait, gve it a few months Amazon.co.uk has some great sales.
Old 12-20-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It's $23.67 after VAT is removed for shipping to the U.S.
Originally Posted by Giles
if you can wait, gve it a few months Amazon.co.uk has some great sales.
Ah, ok. Thanks guys. Will probably just wait.
Old 12-20-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IstvanTheHun
So I keep reading about an Extended Cut for Knight & Day, adding about 10 mins to the film, with more action, some more dialogue, and an alternate opening.

The only place I can find this Extended Cut is the On Demand PPV on amazon.com

I recently purchased the 3-disc Blu-Ray combo pack and was dissapointed to find it only contained the theatrical version....what the eff gives with that?

Is this longer cut not available in the US on Blu-Ray??

BTW, I found this movie to be a guilty pleasure - its full of plot holes and illogical action, but if viewed as a spoof or a parody, with the right frame of mind, this movie is very entertaining. Diaz is getting quite unattractive lately, her face has turned monstrous and is hard to view in close-ups, but her comedic timing is still spot on, and she is still full of energy; but has unfortunately lost her looks, probably from all that botox in her face. Cruise is very funny in this, and actually looks alot like early 90's Cruise, the reverse of Diaz. The plot is generic, but the laughs and the silly insane action are rife in the movie. A good distraction with many flaws, hardly a masterpiece of cinema lol.

anyways.....I liked it enough to get the BR and am now quite upset that the Extended Cut is not available to US consumers. This movie is not good enough to warrant a double-dip if they do a re-release!!!
And considering the paltry box-office, you think they would want to cash in on the home market with a truly fully-loaded BR release.
before you continue complaining, have you even researched the extended
cut differences on the internet??
the extended cut is useless, adds nothing significant and is another example
why these deleted scenes were deleted in the first place.
just because you hear the word extended doesn't mean there is extra action
if i can give you a tip: you can look up the title on movie-censorship.com
and see that you're complaining over nothing
Old 12-20-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

^ Posting a direct link would have been a nice touch.

Knight & Day: Extended Version/Theatrical Version Comparison

But, yeah, it's a useless extended cut. About the only thing that looks amusing enough is the matador bit from the trailer.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-20-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-20-10, 08:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Whether or not the added footage adds value, you would think the studio would make the extended cut accessible in a country where the movie underperformed -- at least in an effort to further entice people to watch it (when they may have ignored the theatrical version).
Old 12-20-10, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
If that were the case, then why did Fox (same studio) release an extended cut of The A-Team? They both made around the same domestically ($77.2m for AT, $76.4m for K&D) and both cost about the same ($110m for AT, $117m for K&D). So while yes K&D made far more overseas ($85m) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they left off an extended cut in the States (yet that cut is available to watch On Demand with Comcast).

But for whatever reason, still sucks. Will be watching to see if an extended cut overseas goes for a low price (the one on Amazon.co.uk is $29.xx, far too much).
I'm guessing $85m is a typo as it made $185m overseas.
Old 12-20-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing $85m is a typo as it made $185m overseas.
Oh, I meant it made $85 million more overseas compared to A-Team, sorry should've been more clear on that.
Old 12-21-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They did the same thing with The Cooler. The Director's Cut aired on PPV and I think sundance or ifc but was never released on DVD.

I will wait for the extended cut of Knight & Day to drop in price and find a good region free version of it and buy it in a year or so
Old 12-21-10, 02:02 AM

Even if the extended cut is not great, I would like to have it anyway, especially when it's available in other countries. To me, more extras the better. I even hate it when studio release blurays without movie's own trailer. I want every extras available that pertains to the movie. So, if the extended cut/deleted scenes are available, I want it. Why should US get inferior/less extra edition of the movie when it's a US made movie.

It's actually sad to see popularity of stars like Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson fall in US because of their outside behavior. They are still capable of making good movies, but their movies probably will not be successful in US ever again.
Old 12-21-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's obvious that they're putting out the theatrical cut now, then they'll release an extended cut down the line. I'm sure this will happen.
Old 12-21-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I think it's obvious that they're putting out the theatrical cut now, then they'll release an extended cut down the line. I'm sure this will happen.
Yup. And I for one will not be buying it. It'd be a worthless expense.

I'd get all the fuming if the extended cut was this vastly superior cut of the movie. It seems to be nothing of the sort.
Old 12-27-10, 10:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Comcast is showing the extended cut as part of their OnDemand library, for those interested. Not sure about the satellite providers.
Old 12-27-10, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by philip74
before you continue complaining, have you even researched the extended
cut differences on the internet??
the extended cut is useless, adds nothing significant and is another example
why these deleted scenes were deleted in the first place.
just because you hear the word extended doesn't mean there is extra action
if i can give you a tip: you can look up the title on movie-censorship.com
and see that you're complaining over nothing
Yes as a matter of fact, I did do the research, that's how I found out - I saw the frame-by-frame comparison. So my complaint is quite valid thank you very much.
Old 12-28-10, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

vudu.com is also streaming the extended cut for a "rental" fee.
Old 12-28-10, 08:11 AM

There isn't any correlation between box office performance and DVD/Blu-Ray features. In fact, wouldn't studios be more interested in giving consumers a bigger incentive to purchase underperformers?

I mean, there are two cuts of Jennifer's Body on it's disc...
Old 12-28-10, 10:23 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I just purchased the blu-ray, and it came with a free Amazon video on demand of the Extended Edition.