Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

John Woo's REIGN OF ASSASSINS (starring Michelle Yeoh) blu-ray available this week!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

John Woo's REIGN OF ASSASSINS (starring Michelle Yeoh) blu-ray available this week!

Old 11-24-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hong Kong Region A blu-ray for REIGN OF ASSASSINS is available to buy this week!

And it's finally a Hong Kong action film that's getting good reviews out of all the other stinkers that came out of Hong Kong this year. I'm always happy to see my favorite Chinese actress, Michelle Yeoh, get blu-rayed as well.... It certainly looks awesome:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqhkBNNCEvM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qqhkBNNCEvM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by toddly6666; 11-29-10 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: John Woo's REIGN OF ASSASSINS (starring Michelle Yeoh) blu-ray available this wee

Looks cool. Can i get it in the states.. or do I have to order overseas?
Old 11-24-10, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: John Woo's REIGN OF ASSASSINS (starring Michelle Yeoh) blu-ray available this wee

He says HONG KONG Region A BD in his post..so....HK.
Old 11-24-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
He says HONG KONG Region A BD in his post..so....HK.
Yeah i caught that.. but i didn't know if it was available from Hong Kong, or imported already.
Old 11-24-10, 07:12 PM
Banned

...ah...
Old 11-24-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for pointing this one out. I'm in Macau so I'll be able to grab this this weekend.

Michelle Yeoh....
Old 11-24-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
Looks cool. Can i get it in the states.. or do I have to order overseas?
I have heard of a Chinatown in Madison, Wisconsin. If there are no DVD shops there, then the quickest way of getting the blu-ray is from:

http://www.yesasia.com/global/reign-...0-en/info.html
Old 11-24-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet. def gonna check this out
Old 11-24-10, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer claims to be John Woo's first martial arts movie, but he made Hand of Death which was a martial arts movie.
Old 11-24-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
The trailer claims to be John Woo's first martial arts movie, but he made Hand of Death which was a martial arts movie.
Since John Woo went back to China to do good films again, he's been rebooted so everything in the past doesn't count!
Old 11-25-10, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by godzilla rules
He also made another martial arts swordplay flick, Last Hurrah for Chivalry, which is actually pretty good.

I pre-ordered this from dddhouse. Hopefully it delivers. Red Cliff was a nice return to form for Woo, so hopefully can can keep the momentum.
Old 11-25-10, 10:03 AM

Some reveiws of this film have pointed out that John Woo was not all that involved in the direction of the movie - his role was actually closer to that of a producer. But he is getting the billing because of name recognition.
Not sure how accurate this info is.

In any case, what I have read about this film has been very positive. Am goiing to buy this online.
Old 11-25-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahab
Some reveiws of this film have pointed out that John Woo was not all that involved in the direction of the movie - his role was actually closer to that of a producer. But he is getting the billing because of name recognition.

In any case, what I have read about this film has been very positive. Am goiing to buy this online.
Perhaps he directed the dramating scenes and someone else served as action director. That happens a lot.
Old 11-25-10, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Perhaps he directed the dramating scenes and someone else served as action director. That happens a lot.
That could be.
In any case I located the review that claims Woo only produced it.
Old 11-25-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahab

In another trailer for this film that I saw it lists:

Producer: Terrance Chang and John Woo

Directed by: Su Chao-Pin

Co-Directed by: John Woo
Old 11-25-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He started as producer, but was present for the entire shoot and gave a lot of advice to Su -- so the final English credits list him as co-director as well (the Chinese credits are different).

I liked this a lot and wrote a little about it here, if anyone cares. Looking forward to seeing it again on Blu.
Old 11-26-10, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got my blu-ray today!

I'll watch it this weekend and give my thoughts on the movie and the blu-ray! I'm psyched even more because if the English subtitles are as well-written/translated as the English summary on the back cover, I'm gonna be happy!
Old 11-26-10, 05:37 PM

Nice! Howd u get yours so soon? Ive blindly ordered myself a copy based purely on your excitement so if it sucks u owe me $26 LMAO!
Old 11-26-10, 06:15 PM
Banned

oh the bastard will pay you. He's a man to pay up if you don't enjoy your product.
Old 11-26-10, 06:43 PM

woa woa woa...take ur solid snake out ur bunghole. i was only joking...LOL.
Old 11-26-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
oh the bastard will pay you. He's a man to pay up if you don't enjoy your product.
How much have I paid u back already - i think ive paid u $345 for all those movies i recommended u to buy that u didnt like!

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee
Nice! Howd u get yours so soon? Ive blindly ordered myself a copy based purely on your excitement so if it sucks u owe me $26 LMAO!
I got mine in NYC Chinatown. The best thing about NYC is being able to buy HK and Indian movies on day of release. The bad thing is that thr majority of those blurays are stinkers (well, more so with India).

It's a crime that Gaillants isnt coming out on Blu.
Old 11-26-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

DDDhouse has it for $28 with shipping to the U.S.

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...roductID=11386
Old 11-26-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

The store I frequent in Macau won't get this in until next week. I had to settle for "Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen" instead.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-26-10 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-28-10, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan
DDDhouse has it for $28 with shipping to the U.S.

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_detai...roductID=11386
Yup. That's where I ordered mine. It shipped on the 27th, so hopefully it will arrive soon.

Toddly...you have to watch this soon, and report back

Anyone know who did the fight choreography ?? I can't see it on imdb.
Old 11-28-10, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The store I frequent in Macau won't get this in until next week. I had to settle for "Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen" instead.
Ouch! That hurts...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.