Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Old 11-29-18, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

I believe the only disc I purchased this year was the complete series of Early Edition...because I can't stream it anywhere.
Old 11-29-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

These days, while my purchases are few and far in between, what little I have been buying are big multi-disc sets, like the Bergman one, or the new blu-ray sets for Community and Shield.
Old 12-11-18, 03:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I sold or got rid of almost all of my DVDs and BDs. This was surprisingly hard to do and, although it took more than 6 months, it’s just about finally done. I’m down to just one: the Criterion release of Chungking Express. I will put it on eBay when I have some time.

For the curious, the BD that netted me the most cash was the Criterion version of The Third Man which I still had sealed for some reason. Sold for more than $200. But most of discs were utterly worthless and were thrown out in the trash because the effort the sell them wasn’t worth the $1 or less I would have received from a pawn shop or whatever. This was the worst part but it’s either get rid of them or hoard them forever. I wish I bought these movies in thrift stores for real cheap rather then spending decent money on something that becomes almost immediately worthless. The best part for me was getting rid of the shelving. It was annoying to do but once it was out the door it felt like a breath of fresh air. Living space feels so open now.

I’m 100% digital for movies, music, videogames, and news/magazines.

I still have physical books but they are all stuff you can’t get digital.

Last edited by WeeBey; 12-11-18 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think posts like this are inspiring, great job

I told my wife at the beginning of the year that I had planned on getting rid of 100 physical items. Between video games, blu rays, and DVDs. I have about 80 stacked up, so I'm hoping I can still make it. Now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to get rid of them. I might try to piece a few out on Ebay but I bet most of them end up at the library or goodwill.
Old 12-11-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

This thread helped me.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...eanliness.html
Old 12-11-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not much opportunity on eBay. Go for Goodwill or library.

I've been buying but have been very good about cleaning out. My total numbers have gone down while at the same time have picked up 48 UHD and swapped out many HD DVD for BR.
Old 12-11-18, 03:37 PM

I used eBay for boutique label discs and boxsets. My strategy was a 10 day auction, 99 cent start, no reserve. I felt I got exactly what each disc was worth.

The rest of it, wouldn't work on eBay due to selling prices vs shipping. The library wouldn't accept them because of some kind of IP issue. I went to a local pawn shop and they wouldn't take everything and only offered pocketchange for those they would. So I ended up throwing those away.

I had something like 400 DVDs and Blu-rays. I sold maybe 150 of them over 6 months or so, gave a handful away to people I know, and threw everything else in the garbage. Brutal, but what are you going to do.
Old 12-13-18, 09:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Hahaha. I always laugh when I see that. Guy must have a title like Die Hard on a dozen formats
Old 12-30-18, 02:00 PM

Just sold my last Blu-Ray, Criterion’s Chungking Express, for $100. To give you an idea on how much this is going for, mine was unsealed and had minor damage on the spine. My auction was also mostly limited to Canadians.

If you own this one I urge you to sell it now before criterion announces a new 4K master.
Old 12-30-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

In the last week, I actually donated about 11-12 BDs and DVDs to my local library. Some of it was junk, but I got rid of some good stuff like Avengers 1 and 2 and the Dark Knight trilogy.

++Note: I actually upgraded Avengers 1 and 2 and The Dark Knight trilogy with 4Ks recently during Black Friday.

I figured it was best to just donate them and let someone else in my community be able to watch and enjoy them than attempting to try to sell them to only get a few measly bucks.
Old 12-30-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WeeBey
Just sold my last Blu-Ray, Criterion’s Chungking Express, for $100. To give you an idea on how much this is going for, mine was unsealed and had minor damage on the spine. My auction was also mostly limited to Canadians.

If you own this one I urge you to sell it now before criterion announces a new 4K master.

I sold my Chungking Express for about that much and it had a cracked case, which is how I received it all those years ago. No regrets selling it. I only have Bottle Rocket, El Norte left out of that first wave CC's in those cases.
Old 12-30-18, 02:56 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I sold my Chungking Express for about that much and it had a cracked case, which is how I received it all those years ago. No regrets selling it. I only have Bottle Rocket, El Norte left out of that first wave CC's in those cases.
I forgot the first wave of CC discs had those weird cases. Do those versions have a higher value?
Old 12-30-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I forgot the first wave of CC discs had those weird cases. Do those versions have a higher value?

Yeah, just because they're all OOP.

El Norte, Bottle Rocket, and Last Metro are still in print, though.
Old 12-30-18, 03:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

i still have a sealed The Third Man CC Blu, with keepcase, i believe. i wouldn't sell it, but how much that worth?
Old 12-30-18, 03:31 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by oldboy
i still have a sealed the third man cc blu, with keepcase, i believe. I wouldn't sell it, but how much that worth?
Since it’s sealed, probably around $200.
Old 12-30-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
In the last week, I actually donated about 11-12 BDs and DVDs to my local library. Some of it was junk, but I got rid of some good stuff like Avengers 1 and 2 and the Dark Knight trilogy.

++Note: I actually upgraded Avengers 1 and 2 and The Dark Knight trilogy with 4Ks recently during Black Friday.

I figured it was best to just donate them and let someone else in my community be able to watch and enjoy them than attempting to try to sell them to only get a few measly bucks.
I've dropped off dozens to the library. I let my son and father-in-law see or keep what they want, then to the library. They can either put them out or sell them at the community garage sales.

Even with the purchase of 48 4K discs, my total numbers are down quite a bit. I just picked up a few for Christmas so time to go through and do another purge. My initial goal was to remove 2 for every new one I bought. That is getting tougher. So I try to get rid of one or two more than I add. I got two for Christmas plus a couple GC's I'll use for titles so I have to find at least 5 or 6 to offset the 4 I'm adding.
Old 12-30-18, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i still have a sealed The Third Man CC Blu, with keepcase, i believe. i wouldn't sell it, but how much that worth?
Mine sold for $210. Sealed.
Old 12-30-18, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Since it’s sealed, probably around $200.
fuck. really? i mean i actually have just the CC disc with all content and stuff, but this is one of my favorite movies and i don't know...
Old 12-30-18, 05:54 PM

probably my favorite piece in my favorite drawer...

Old 12-30-18, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy
fuck. really? i mean i actually have just the CC disc with all content and stuff, but this is one of my favorite movies and i don't know...
Sell the Criterion and get the region-free BFI release of the movie. It’s based on a 4K restoration and looks better than the Criterion. You can can get on Amazon UK for about $13 USD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Third-Man-Blu-ray-Orson-Welles/dp/B00X7RHT5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546213944&sr=8-2&keywords=The+third+man https://www.amazon.co.uk/Third-Man-Blu-ray-Orson-Welles/dp/B00X7RHT5C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546213944&sr=8-2&keywords=The+third+man
Old 12-30-18, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by WeeBey
Sell the Criterion and get the region-free BFI release of the movie. It’s based on a 4K restoration and looks better than the Criterion. You can can get on Amazon UK for about $13 USD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Third-Man-B...=The+third+man
well, as i said, i have that standalone CC blu disc and don't watch it all the time, but thanks, will still consider for the vid quality...
Old 12-30-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

I have cut down on blind buys probably because there are not a lot of movies I like and the actors or actresses I like are not doing that many movies these days.

Also all the movies I like have been released on blu-ray except a few like True Lies and Just Like Heaven to name a few.
Old 01-06-19, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just pulled another 10 off the shelf. I picked up a few for Christmas plus have a few BB GC so I need to make sure I'm keeping things clean. I'm really taking aim at the HD DVD's and the DVD's especially the old snapper cases. I found a few I hadn't watched in years, maybe more than 10. See Ya.
Old 01-06-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thrill is gone. I miss the weekly Tuesday visits to BB to check out the latest releases. It used to be you grabbed the movie during the first week of release for the cheapest price. It would be years before it would drop. Now some stuff bottoms out a month or two after if not sooner.

You get burned several times and you react. Those weekly visits transformed to preorders at Amazon to be sure to lock in the lowest price as it fluctated before release day. And they used to guarantee a price for 30 days after release. Then Amazon changed that policy and started to drop the price on release day or the day after for many titles and ding you the higher day-before price. You had to call and sometimes argue to get the difference. That got old. Now they have added random coupons you need to click on to get an additional 5-10% so if you preorder I suspect you don't automatically get the coupon discounts that pop up in the waiting game of release day.

Again, you react to the burn:
You stop buying stuff on release day.
You stop preordering.
You wait. . .and maybe lose interest or a title goes OOP.

I feel stores burned their own bridges. They used to get instant purchases and preorders on their stock. They got greedy and lost as did the medium.

I still buy discs. I love the meduim. But I have greatly slowed down because of all sorts of factors. And I only have a couple of 4K discs as I fear the day we may need to register our discs to a specific player. And when that happens I'm out.
Old 01-06-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The Tuesday trip to BB was a fun ritual that lasted for many years, but I can't even pinpoint when that exactly started to come to an end. I know for me it had ceased being a weekly thing by the time that the HD formats showed up because I remember that those purchases had gotten me back into these stores more often than I'd been for a while. Even though worthwhile HD releases were pretty spread out for many years at the beginning.

This year I'm gong to be forced to cut back because of finances. For any titles from labels known for regular sales (Twilight Time, Criterion, Warner Archive, Kino, non LE Arrow releases, etc) I'm just gonna wait till they become sale eligible.
That used to be SOP back in the days of the DDD twice yearly sales, and it was something to look forward to months in advance. It'll be fun to channel that experience again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.