Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 11-06-17, 01:43 PM   #201
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
A lot of movies are disappearing off Netflix, it's a great time to load on your faves while they are still out there. Just make sure you have multiple players working for 20-30 years from now who knows what kind of players will be backwards compatible with the good old fashioned dvd format...
C'mon dude, because films cycle in and out of rotation on Netflix we should all become Alan Smithees? 30 years from now you will not be able to see The Matrix on Netflix so we should all become hoarders...yeesh, thanks but I think I will pass.

Edited to add: Also silly talking about media consumption 30 years down the line as a good chunk of dvd talkers will be dead or well into their 70s (I would be 76 in 30 years) and will have other priorities other than stressing about watching a nearly 40 year old action film.

I get that we are having fun in this thread with the how will we cope this far into the future scenario, but still.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 11-06-17 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-06-17, 05:29 PM   #202
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
VHS was never about quality. It was the first time a consumer could own Star Wars or Snow White or whatever favorite film at a reasonable cost. That was huge.
Exactly, there wasn't much choice. Most Americans watched VHS tapes on their family 20" CRT TV with the quality being as good or better than their cable feed.

In fact, most people used the SLP recording speed so they could maximize their blank tape to 6 hours. The picture quality was horrendous, but hey, you got 6 hours of recording!
Old 11-06-17, 05:46 PM   #203
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm still a physical media guy but have slowed way down on purchases. Mostly just prioritizing the budget. I don't need to buy a half dozen movies/shows a month. It's a huge drain on the income.

I've probably only bought a handful of titles this year. In fact the only ones that come to mind are Kubo, Wonder Woman, Quantum Leap, Friday Night Lights, Lost: s6, and Stranger Things. Of course, I have my eye on a few for Black Friday, but even then I'm only looking at a dozen over the course of the year. That's really low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
C'mon dude, because films cycle in and out of rotation on Netflix we should all become Alan Smithees?
"C'mon dude" he said "favorites" not every film known to mankind.

And yeah, a few different services with rotating libraries is exactly why I prefer physical media. If I want to Watch Chuck, 24, Fringe, Game of Thrones, The Fifth Element, The Red Violin or Run Lola Run, I don't have to rely on some company letting me have access to it. I walk over to the shelf and grab it.

Streaming is a nice compliment to fill in the gaps and to check out things I wouldn't normally buy. It's also great to avoid blind buys.
Old 11-07-17, 03:57 PM   #204
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Curious what the correlation, if any, that exists between collecting physical media and having home theaters with all the hardware.

Do people with no interest in physical media stream and watch digital copies in home theaters through sound systems, etc?

Do physical media collectors see home theater setups primarily as a way to view their collections?

I'm talking about dedicated home theaters, separate room or basement with no other purpose.
Old 11-07-17, 04:22 PM   #205
DVD Talk Godfather

I bet there's a correlation. I had a basement theater before moving 2 years ago. I now have an unfinished basement and movie watching has dropped off a cliff. I'm planning on finishing the basement next year so movies will be good again. The kids have been asking to see Lord of the Rings (and a few others) and I just can't bring myself to show them for the first time on a lowly 46" tv with a sound bar.

The only time I stream anything is either 1) when I'm on the treadmill, and even then I stick to tv shows 99% of the time. Or 2) the TiVo didn't pick up a show because of a conflict or weather.
Old 11-08-17, 12:11 AM   #206
DVD Talk Reviewer

Of course there's some people who have home theaters just because they can afford them and want to say they have them, yet have zero appreciation for film itself. The same at least used to be true for audio equipment, people with too much money would buy fancy stuff but not really like music.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 11-08-17, 12:28 AM   #207
DVD Talk Godfather

I've cut back drastically in the last year, selling off a big chunk of movies and now only purchasing major releases that I really enjoy. I'll probably sell or get rid of more movies by the end of year. My wife and I used to watch a lot of movies together, but our lives have gotten more busy and we usually relax by just watching TV shows or throwing on something on Netflix. There's just less reason to buy a lot of movies that i'll only watch once and then never again, and the collector aspect that I used to enjoy has also since passed.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 11-08-17, 06:15 AM   #208
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Of course there's some people who have home theaters just because they can afford them and want to say they have them, yet have zero appreciation for film itself. The same at least used to be true for audio equipment, people with too much money would buy fancy stuff but not really like music.
Last year we went to Homearama. It's a showcase of new homes where different homebuilders all put up house in a tract for the public to peruse. Naturally these are some pretty nice places. They all had these high end media or home theater rooms. Of course the local audio stores are going to show their premier stuff. I got to thinking that all these places had superior HT rooms, but the houses themselves are really geared towards well-to-do yet much older target audience. Big houses but small bedrooms and small yards means no growing families.

I think people with money often times have these elaborate set-ups because it comes with the house or it's what people expect. Of the seniors in my circle; My uncle has a SONY 4K TV but is still on his DD 5.1 sound he's been using for 10 years. My aunt has a small TV. My in-laws still use cave paintings. The only reason they have anything remotely modern is that kids buy it for them.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 236 DVD's, 393 BR titles, Samsung K8500 UHD player, 40 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 25 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 11-08-17, 06:26 AM   #209
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Like in ground swimming pools.

What I'm getting at is a link in mentality between collecting physical media and hardware. They are both materialistic behaviors. Is the hardware an extension of the collecting.
If interest in movies is equal, would a person who prefers streaming over physical media be less likely to invest in home theater hardware and vice verse.
Old 11-08-17, 09:33 AM   #210
DVD Talk Legend

Wherever we've lived, I've always tried to make my viewing experience as nice as possible.

This dates back to my youth when I hooked my NES (the original 8-bit machine mind you) to some spare components like a computer monitor using the video outputs and then running the sound through a tuner and some big German speakers. Sure it was still 8-bit graphics and mono sound, but it was still a more intense experience.

Even now, we're in a small condo, but we have a 60" 1080 display in the living room with 5.0 sound, and then we have a 4K tv and an Xbox One S in the bedroom.

And at this point we stream about almost 95% of everything. My wife would like if she didn't have to own any physical media at all. She streams movies, TV and music, books on the kindle and games on Steam or Virtual Console.

But I can't give up my DVD collection just yet. I've put too much effort into finding some of these titles to just dump them. I do plan on going through and re-watching stuff to see if A. the program itself holds up and B. the image quality holds up. We've played some older DVDs on that new 60" screen and some look like VHS and others look kinda okay.

I can't quit yet. I don't feel like it's materialism, to me it feels more like being a curator of a collection.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 11-08-17, 10:00 AM   #211
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Like in ground swimming pools.

What I'm getting at is a link in mentality between collecting physical media and hardware. They are both materialistic behaviors. Is the hardware an extension of the collecting.
If interest in movies is equal, would a person who prefers streaming over physical media be less likely to invest in home theater hardware and vice verse.
Probably those with a do-it-yourself home theatre room would most likely be physical media types.

My preference of physical media over streaming is still the packaging, the extras and menus to easily navigate everything. The disc format is more akin to a reel of film rather than just some convenient zeroes and ones that stream through the air.
Old 04-15-18, 07:33 AM   #212
DVD Talk Legend

Just went through another round of reducing clutter. Pulled a few more off the shelf and found a few more still showing in my collection but I had gotten rid of the discs. Down to fewer than half of my HD DVD's. I've been either replacing them with BR or 4K, or just plain tossing them in the trash. Probably down 50 or so DVD's. I have added 32 UHD and a bunch of BR so my numbers aren't dropping all that fast but they are going down. I just don't need to own a bunch of dust collectors any more.

I also just went through my closet and drawers and got rid of 2 large garbage bags full of clothes. I'm in a cleaning out mood lately.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 236 DVD's, 393 BR titles, Samsung K8500 UHD player, 40 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 25 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 04-15-18, 08:36 AM   #213

I'm currently in a self-imposed period of no physical media purchases for a couple of reasons.

First, I have way too many sealed BDs and DVDs, ones that I was sure I just had to have, but then later can see no real reason to open them.

Second, the last few times I felt inspired to actually watch something that I own I came to find there was a better looking version available to stream for free on YouTube or Amazon or somewhere else.

After these 2 realizations I decided it was time to at least take somewhat of a break. It must be working, recently I was in a B&M store that had some decent used DVDs for 2 for $1 yet I was able to resist. In the past I would have filled a basket with those.

Also, I'm currently seeing no reason to get rid of or downsize my collection as I realize that streaming options come and go, so at the moment it's just "nothing in, nothing out".
Old 04-15-18, 08:37 AM   #214
DVD Talk Hero

I've been going through my 1K+ collection (while watching TV), and pulling out about one title per day, or every other day, to sell or give away. This is easier to do than a drastic purge, and within a year, I should have a tighter, more manageable collection that takes up less space.
Old 04-15-18, 08:55 AM   #215
DVD Talk Legend

We are having a subdivision garage sale in a few weeks and I have about 75 blu rays I'm going to try and sell. Figured I would try that first and whatever I end up left with I'm going to trade in at a local media store.
Old 04-15-18, 09:32 PM   #216
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
We are having a subdivision garage sale in a few weeks and I have about 75 blu rays I'm going to try and sell. Figured I would try that first and whatever I end up left with I'm going to trade in at a local media store.
Are you in the Chicago burbs? Cause I love picking up movies at garage sales.

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 04-15-18, 09:55 PM   #217
Inane Thread Master

I still buy both (physical and digital). I can’t stop. It’s a sickness...
Old 04-15-18, 11:17 PM   #218
DVD Talk Legend

Now is a better time than ever if you want CDs. The used market has come down a great deal in the past year or so. It's a similar market to vinyl in the 1990s, when the masses collectively decided to get out at the same time and supply outstripped demand.

I do think the era of outrageously priced DVDs and Blu-rays when they go out of print is nearing its end.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 04-16-18, 05:00 AM   #219
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I've been going through my 1K+ collection (while watching TV), and pulling out about one title per day, or every other day, to sell or give away. This is easier to do than a drastic purge, and within a year, I should have a tighter, more manageable collection that takes up less space.
I call it a purge but it is really more of an ongoing cleaning house. I pull a few out every time. Yesterday I pulled 6 DVD's/Br to donate and 1 HD DVD that I tossed out. I also found a couple titles still showing on my list that I had previously disposed of. I don't stream but I don't need all those titles I'll never get to again. I had 4 or 5 full books of DVD-r's I had ripped. Hundreds and hundreds. Those I just threw out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I still buy both (physical and digital). I can’t stop. It’s a sickness...
I still buy new releases I'll rewatch and some must-owns that are on HD DVD or DVD I'll upgrade, but for me the collector mentality has disappeared. I still "collect" most war and Marvel pictures. Other than that, I gotta love it.
Old 04-16-18, 07:50 AM   #220
DVD Talk Legend

I sold my 1K plus collection and went all digital to save space. I did hundreds of D2D and still buy plenty of movies. Those 2 for $10 on VUDU get me.

-Office Space
Old 04-16-18, 09:27 AM   #221
DVD Talk Hero

There was one blu I was about to toss (an obscure Korean flick), but found out that it's going for over $100! Definitely gonna check prices before I toss or give away stuff!
Old 04-16-18, 02:09 PM   #222
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
I sold my 1K plus collection and went all digital to save space. I did hundreds of D2D and still buy plenty of movies. Those 2 for $10 on VUDU get me.
Wow, you dumped your entire collection to go 100% streaming/digital?

I recall in the other thread you organized your discs in binders to help save space, so even then you decided to get rid of everything?

That's a huge financial hit for all the money you put in. So did you just dump everything in a fire sale and not care what you got?

I just can't do a massive fire sale for the good stuff I bought even if I was desperate to clear out space. Some of the TV on BD I bought cost around $30 a piece and I would awful dumping them for $2-3 like they're trash considering how much of my hard earned money I put in.

Granted I dumped and donated hundreds of dollars of junk over the last year+ that I knew I shouldn't have bought in the first place or would never watch again. But, I just can't part with the good stuff only to re-buy it again digitally.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-16-18 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 02:33 PM   #223
DVD Talk Legend

People are going to wish they had their physical collections when the streaming providers start charging monthly access fees to use their personal digital collections. There is nothing stopping them once physical media has been eliminated.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 04-16-18, 02:45 PM   #224
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what to say about the whole "buy-it-and-dump-it" approach.

Let's take my history with Star Wars on Home Video.

VHS (1986) $29.95 used

VHS (1997) THX Full Screen $24.95

VHS widescreen (1999) $24.95

DVD $25 (based on the 3 -pack)

DVD Limited edition $25 (based on the three-pack)

Blu-ray $6 (used, based on the 3-pack)

It cost me $136 (not including inflation) to own Star Wars over the past 30 years. How many times have a I actually sat down and watched it over that time period? Maybe 5 or 6 times, not including the times I re-watched it in the theatre. That's about $22 per viewing.

That's one title.
Old 04-16-18, 02:56 PM   #225
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Wow, you dumped your entire collection to go 100% streaming/digital?

I recall in the other thread you organized your discs in binders to help save space, so even then you decided to get rid of everything?

That's a huge financial hit for all the money you put in. So did you just dump everything in a fire sale and not care what you got?
Yup.

I didnt put all my movies in binders. Just certain ones. I still had shelves from floor to ceiling full of movies.

I sold them in lots of 50 to 100, sold complete series sets for good value, and OOP stuff. 4K disc still had value. Did lots of D2Dfor $2 each so either broke even or came out ahead on those movies.

I dont feel like I lost too much money. For a decade I was getting movies free or very cheap at Moviestop. I had been putting my digital codes into Vudu for years, so I already had a lot of my stuff there. And now I have 1000+ movies on Vudu, and gained so much space, and no hassle with collections anymore.

-Office Space

Last edited by stingermck; 04-16-18 at 03:29 PM.