Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Old 02-03-17, 10:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

I forgot, I have sold some of my DVDs. Last year I sold all my Phantasms for $75 (and just picked up the first one in BD and the only one I want) and my sealed/undented Disney Treasures for $2500.
Old 02-24-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I think I got 3 for Christmas. Star Trek Beyond I had asked for, Sully and Blindspot S1 my son got me. Although I an enjoying watching them, I didn't need to own either one. I feel guilty because he keeps buying them but I don't know how to tell him not to without hurting his feelings.

About all I really plan on getting are the Marvel movies and any war genre pictures. Those I still enjoy repeat viewings and want to own them.
This past Christmas was the first Christmas in a long time where I didn’t ask for any movies. For the past couple years, whether I purchase a movie or not has depended on whether I thought said movie had replay value for me. And I’m finding the older I get, the less interest I have in revisiting stuff I check out now (especially if it’s a longer movie or multi-season TV show). The best way I can describe this is, movies are beginning to have diminishing returns for me, i.e., I’m finding a lot less replay value in stuff I watch now. Then again, my TV watching has been increasing for the last couple years, so maybe my focus has just shifted.
Old 02-24-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
This past Christmas was the first Christmas in a long time where I didn’t ask for any movies. For the past couple years, whether I purchase a movie or not has depended on whether I thought said movie had replay value for me. And I’m finding the older I get, the less interest I have in revisiting stuff I check out now (especially if it’s a longer movie or multi-season TV show). The best way I can describe this is, movies are beginning to have diminishing returns for me, i.e., I’m finding a lot less replay value in stuff I watch now. Then again, my TV watching has been increasing for the last couple years, so maybe my focus has just shifted.
I think I ask for 1 or 2 titles and each year my son ends up getting me a couple more. He's gotten me hooked on The Americans and Blacklist. I like TV series because they are great to take with me on a business trip and watch on the laptop. Movies are just no fun with the small picture and limited sound.

I've cleared some room recently by getting a couple dozen off the shelf. I just dropped off another dozen or so to the library today. I picked up Hacksaw Ridge and John Wick this week. I'll pick up Dr. Strange next week. As long as I have at least two go out for every one to come in, I won't feel bad picking some up here and there.
Old 02-24-17, 08:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

The only reason I've cut back is that I already have most everything I ever wanted, except for any new releases that catch my fancy. Still looking for Rawhead Rex though...

Last edited by kd5; 02-25-17 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-24-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm still going to collect for now, but the fact that Netflix doesn't release most things on physical media is gonna force me to make a tough choice in the next couple years. If Scorsese's The Irishman doesn't get a physical release, I might have to stop collecting.
Old 10-28-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just pulled 5 more off the shelf. Every couple weeks I pull a few off and either give them to my in-laws or to the library. I am buying some. I just upgraded several HD DVD's to 4K so I now have 23 4K movies total. But every time I look on the shelf I see movies I haven't watched in a decade or more and wonder why I own this thing? I still buy and will continue to buy, but my goal is to have only "must have" movies.

I will go back and take back one thing I said last year. My son bought me Sully for Christmas last year and I didn't think I needed to own it. Now I probably would not have bought it, but it is a fantastic movie and one I don't mind owning. Blindspot I started again and never got through it. So that one I'll give away at some point.
Old 10-28-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Streaming continues to take precedence. There’s so many neat things on Hulu and Netflix anymore.

The last two times I’ve gone into the used DVD place by work, I’ve walked out with Magic the Gathering cards instead. They’ve started carrying “geek” related stuff like that, probably because disc sales are down, and their prices on the cards are better than Target and the like.
Old 10-28-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

The last movie I bought was about 3 years ago - a Blu-Ray of "The Master". And that was only because I came across it in the bargain bin of a Giant Tiger for $4. That's hard to pass up.
Old 10-28-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

For me a lot of the reason is space and sitting back and looking at my unwatched pile. Trying to get through some of what I have before adding more. Also I tend to wait more on buying anything new unless it’s something I really want and will watch right away. I’ve come to realize it’s stupid buying something for $20 or more right away when I can wait a few months and probably get it for half price or so.
Old 10-28-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’ve come to realize it’s stupid buying something for $20 or more right away when I can wait a few months and probably get it for half price or so.
Especially when you have a backlog of stuff to watch in the meantime.

My brother has about 200 books the he hasn't read yet, but he'll continue to buy new books on their release. The books get marked down from $30 to $10 or less 3-6 months later - which means he spends an extra $20 per book just to have it sitting on his shelf 3-6 months sooner. Books take longer to read, so it'll sit on the shelf for years while he tackles the backlog.

Nowadays, there's just so much content available for streaming (shows and movies), that even if you're the type to want to own a physical copy - there's really no point in buying it at the release price. Stream it all you want until the price drops. Who knows, by then you may decide that you don't need to own it and thus saving you money.
Old 10-30-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The real problem for me is time. There are only so many hours in the day and I have enough entertainment content already to last me decades.
Old 10-30-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Biggest waste of money which I finally realized was buying TV shows on DVD or Blu-Ray that I already watch week to week during the season.

I loaded up on so much of this over the years and finally realized what the fuck was I doing? I've bought a lot of the CW DC shows on Blu-Ray when they've dropped below $20, but even then, will I ever re-watch them again? I'm leaning towards no.

I will rarely buy a TV show on physical media now. Maybe a complete series if it's something I love. Even with Black Friday coming up, I'm leaning towards not buying anymore cheap CW shows no matter how cheap they are. I'll never re-watch them. I'd rather save that money.

TV on physical media in it's hey day wasn't cheap. Even now when it comes out on release week. I cringe at how much money I could have saved not buying practically every fucking show I liked on physical media just for the sake of owning it even though I already saw it.

Weekly serialized TV (newer shows especially) just doesn't have good replay value IMO.
Old 10-30-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Biggest waste of money which I finally realized was buying TV shows on DVD or Blu-Ray that I already watch week to week during the season.

I loaded up on so much of this over the years and finally realized what the fuck was I doing? I've bought a lot of the CW DC shows on Blu-Ray when they've dropped below $20, but even then, will I ever re-watch them again? I'm leaning towards no.

I will rarely buy a TV show on physical media now. Maybe a complete series if it's something I love. Even with Black Friday coming up, I'm leaning towards not buying anymore cheap CW shows no matter how cheap they are. I'll never re-watch them. I'd rather save that money.

TV on physical media in it's hey day wasn't cheap. Even now when it comes out on release week. I cringe at how much money I could have saved not buying practically every fucking show I liked on physical media just for the sake of owning it even though I already saw it.

Weekly serialized TV (newer shows especially) just doesn't have good replay value IMO.
How will you feel 15-20 years from now? Here it is 2030 and it's been years since you've seen the show. Over on a shelf is the complete series of a show that is airing now in 2017. You can just pop it in and watch it. After all those years you'll be so removed from the money spent it will feel like you're watching it free.
Don't forget about retirement and old age. You may be glad you have them. Don't dwell on instant gratification. Think of it as saving for the future.
Do you feel differently about shows from the 80s and 90s? If so, don't you think that in the future you will feel about current shows the way you feel about older shows now?

Last edited by rw2516; 10-30-17 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-30-17, 05:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
How will you feel 15-20 years from now? Here it is 2030 and it's been years since you've seen the show. Over on a shelf is the complete series of a show that is airing now in 2017. You can just pop it in and watch it. After all those years you'll be so removed from the money spent it will feel like you're watching it free.
Don't forget about retirement and old age. You may be glad you have them. Don't dwell on instant gratification. Think of it as saving for the future.
Do you feel differently about shows from the 80s and 90s? If so, don't you think that in the future you will feel about current shows the way you feel about older shows now?
Alan, you need to contact the mods about multiple accounts.
Old 10-30-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I would hope when I'm 57 years old, I would be doing something more productive with my life than sitting on my couch watching a probably long gone physical media format of the long-cancelled Arrow or The Flash.
Old 10-30-17, 06:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i pick and choose now with tv. i basically only get the ones that will have replay value. GoT and TWD are the two that do that for me. i really just need the digital copy, but sometimes the extras are great. with most tv streaming on one of the big 3, i can't always justify buying the more expensive physical copy. i do of course have my long since ended favorites like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, West Wing (digital), er (digital), Orange is the New Black (which i really don't know why i would when i get Netflix), few others. but currently, frankly, i would rather just stream...
Old 10-31-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The real problem for me is time. There are only so many hours in the day and I have enough entertainment content already to last me decades.
Time has always been my issue as well. Working 40 hours a week plus other hobbies I have (video games, comic books, TV) doesn’t leave a lot of time for movies anymore. It’s not like 10 years ago, where I was working a part time job and had extra time on my hands. Honestly, and this may sound weird coming from someone on an Internet movie forum, but I’m just not getting the same enjoyment out of movies that I did back when I was a teenager or in my early twenties. I seriously think I’m going through some kind of a burnout because of the amount of TV shows I’m watching now.

On the flipside, I’m finding when I do have free time I want to do something other than sitting on my butt, watching movies. So, the “time” issue may actually be a moot point.
Old 10-31-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Money, space and unwatched pile.
Old 10-31-17, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think time is certainly an issue with all of us. But at the height of my collecting I was picking up at least 5, up to 10 titles a week. Come the weekend I would watch 4 max. That means every week I was falling behind. During the week, we rarely put in a movie since the kids were small with their activities and we would just watch regular TV. When I was on Blockbuster online I was ripping 10 or 12 movies a week and watching a fraction of them. I was acquiring far faster than I ever could have hoped to watch. So yes I'm low on time but the only way I ever could have had time to watch everything was if I won the lottery or became permanently disabled.
Old 10-31-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Alan, you need to contact the mods about multiple accounts.

Old 11-06-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

20 years from now, there will be a far superior technology and all that old media will feel like worthless junk. I certainly wouldn't feel like a proud owner of a Disney VHS collection right now especially knowing I dropped hundreds of bucks for it.
Old 11-06-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
20 years from now, there will be a far superior technology and all that old media will feel like worthless junk. I certainly wouldn't feel like a proud owner of a Disney VHS collection right now especially knowing I dropped hundreds of bucks for it.
During the VHS era I think people knew the videotape tape technology wasn't very good and would be improved upon.

Given the visual and audio quality of DVD, Blu-ray and 4K, I don't think these formats will be "worthless junk" as far as being an accurate representation of the film.

Discs may become worthless in a monetary sense (most of them already are) but they will still hold their ground as far as giving the viewer a perfectly acceptable audio/visual experience.

I suppose they could transform Raiders of the Lost Ark into a mind-blowing 3D hologram version played-out in your living room but it wouldn't be an honest, accurate version of what was seen in 1981.

The delivery methods of content will continue to evolve and grow but I think the quality has peaked with 4K for any film produced up to this point. DVD and Blu-ray will still be very acceptable quality for most folks in the future.

Last edited by orangerunner; 11-06-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

VHS was never about quality. It was the first time a consumer could own Star Wars or Snow White or whatever favorite film at a reasonable cost. That was huge.
Old 11-06-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
There is a good chance that many cult and niche films will never ever look better than their Blu-ray editions.

I also foresee a lot of special features getting dropped in the streaming era that will remain locked to DVD and media forever.
Old 11-06-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A lot of movies are disappearing off Netflix, it's a great time to load on your faves while they are still out there. Just make sure you have multiple players working for 20-30 years from now who knows what kind of players will be backwards compatible with the good old fashioned dvd format...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.