Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I say if it's something you enjoy, go for it. There's always lots of ways to justify sending on almost anything.

"My buddy spends $2500 per year on smokes!"

"My other buddy drops $350 per month at the bar!"

Going out to a movie is $20 per couple minimum. You watch the movie and maybe it's good, maybe not. At the end there's nothing to show for it but it's a night out which, to me, is more special than plugging another movie into the disc player.

It's a matter of your own personal preference and priorities.

My learning curve was with VHS, where I had bought too many titles for the wrong reasons (ie. it was cheap, it was the hot new release etc.). With DVD I became much more selective.
About 5 years ago I started to add up what I spent going to Dunkin Donuts every morning before work.
A coffee and a muffin/bagel every morning cost me $870.00 for the year !
I stopped that in a hurry ....made coffee at home instead.
Old 10-13-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The main reason I stopped buying DVDs was money related. In August of 2008, I began going to a 2 year college and had to quit my day job, so I had no money coming in and therefore only bought what I absolutely needed. I would still buy a movie here and there, but it was no where near the spending I had done when I had a job. Over the next two years, I came to the realization that over the course of 8 years, I had acquired lot of stuff in my collection that I really didn't care for, so I started dumping DVDs left right, starting with a bulk of my anime collection. I didn't get jack shit for them, but then again I never expected to get anything from them. I didn't buy the movies as investments; I bought them because I wanted them (at the time).

Another reason I've cut back on buying DVDs is because after not really buying any movies for two years, the thrill of collecting just isn't there anymore. I still have an active interest in seeing new films, but as far as buying most of those movies, I'm just very indifferent to it now. Not to say I will cease buying altogether, I just ordered two DVDs off Amazon last night, but I no longer feel the need to own every single movie I have ever seen and liked.
Old 10-13-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Great thread. It's interesting to see how many of you have "given up" the addiction of buying DVDs.

For those of you who have: Do you find your time/money going into any other similar pursuit?

I've been a collector as long as I can remember. If it wasn't DVDs, I'd be collecting books or cars or something. I enjoy the whole process of tracking things down, completing sets, organizing things, etc. Since I love film as well, DVDs were perfect for me. I've pretty much given up all of my past collections and just do DVDs now. While I understand the logic and reasons many of you have given for not needing to own tons of movies, I don't think I'll ever get to a similar point. Collecting is who I am.

I could ramble on for several more paragraphs, but will stop for now.
I have no problem with collecting. People collect all sorts of things. I for one am making less money than I have in my entire 30 year career. Also with so many I ended up not watching it bacame silly to continue to own. I would rather own 20 I love to watch over and over than 200 I may never watch again just because it is part of a set or was a bargain.
Old 10-13-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've slowed down as well. I try to only buy my absolute favorites nowadays and wait for them to drop in price. $15 or less for catalogs and $20 or less for new stuff as a general rule. There's only so many hours in the day and Netflix has tons of tv shows via streaming that always keeps me occupied. And all it takes is one look at my dvd collection to quickly remind me that owning everything isn't a good idea. I have plenty of stuff, like everyone else, that was bought years ago and still hasn't been watched. That's a bad, expensive habit.
Old 10-13-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have been more selective in buying Blu-rays now compared to the impulse buying I did with DVDs. Basically amassed a huge DVD collection and realizing the cost of it kind of put me off from collecting. I've basically sold over 90% of the DVDs and considering the older I get, the less stuff I really need, I think Blu-rays will be the last physical video format I'll be buying films for.
Old 10-13-10, 04:41 PM

With one 2 year old and a new baby on the way, it's just gotten to the point where I can keep up anymore, nor do I want to. It's gotten tiring to do so.

Netflix has helped. But ultimately, I just don't need that many movies anymore. For me, the theater and digital copies off of iTunes have been the biggest help. I still love going to a theater to watch a film and have the whole experience with discovering a film with a good to great audience.

As for digital copies off of iTunes, it allows me to amass a collection without physically owning them...which has weirdly enough, curbed my spending.

As of right now, I have 184 titles on Blu Ray and maybe 95 titles on DVD. Somehow, I have to dwindle that down to 50. It'll be hard, but again, if I'm really jonesing for something, Netflix (for however long they continue to ship discs in the mail) will be my salvation.

I think I've moved on with life and watching films will always be a very, very important aspect of that, but not the collection part.

It's time to get down to the absolute favorite films in my collection. I will add cautiously from here on out.
Old 10-13-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
What i am saying is that I have around 3,000 CDs, there is no way I can listen to them in a year, But sometimes I love looking through my shelving and picking out an album to listen to.
With music they don't play albums on the radio ,there is no rental system ,you can go to the library but I doubt they would have Nick Lowes "Labour Of Lust" or Duke Ellingtons "Far East Suite". My point being it's nice to own something of an acquired taste,what makes you you so to speak.
You shouldn't have to feel guilty that you have a thousand of anything books,movies,music sitting on your shelves.
I think it's different with CDs than it is with movies. With CDs listening to the average album will take less time than watching the average movie, and you can do other things while you're listening. You can listen to a song from one CD, two more from another CD, etc. Anything goes. Not many people pop in a DVD to watch a scene, then another DVD to watch another scene. Movies normally reguire you to sit and concentrate for the entire length of it. And with CDs you can listen to the same one back-to-back-to-back - many people do, especially with new releases.

I think the average music collector gets more usage out of his/her CDs than does the average movie collector from his/her DVDs.

The guilt factor is definitely higher with DVDs than with CDs in my opinion.
Old 10-13-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
I think it's different with CDs than it is with movies. With CDs listening to the average album will take less time than watching the average movie, and you can do other things while you're listening. You can listen to a song from one CD, two more from another CD, etc. Anything goes. Not many people pop in a DVD to watch a scene, then another DVD to watch another scene. Movies normally reguire you to sit and concentrate for the entire length of it. And with CDs you can listen to the same one back-to-back-to-back - many people do, especially with new releases.

I think the average music collector gets more usage out of his/her CDs than does the average movie collector from his/her DVDs.

The guilt factor is definitely higher with DVDs than with CDs in my opinion.
This is true...but still I have CDs deep in my collection that haven't seen a Cd player in like 10 years.
Old 10-13-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
This is true...but still I have CDs deep in my collection that haven't seen a Cd player in like 10 years.
Yeah, that'll happen when you have 3,000 of them.

Imagine if you had 3,000 movies instead. If you're dedicated enough to watch 2 movies every day, it would take around 4 years to cycle through your collection once. In the real world, you'd have movies you probably wouldn't have touched in over 20 years.
Old 10-13-10, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't have even half that number of CDs, but plenty of mine haven't seen a laser in over 10 years either!
Old 10-14-10, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
I now have 3 criteria that all need to be met for buying a BD movie (assuming Audio/Video are up to snuff):

1. I have to LOVE the film
2. It has to have good replay value (loving the movie doesn't automatically give it good replay value)
3. Has to be $15 or less
Same here, except I have a 4th criteria;
it has to be either an action film or visually gorgeous. A comedy doesn't get any funnier because it's in HD.

Otherwise, I just netflix it.
Old 10-14-10, 03:09 AM

The most I've had at once was around 200 items. I sold off around 50 or so due to needing money, and then water damaged all of my dvd movies, that also caused me to sell about 40 of my wrestling/dvr dvds...So now I only buy movies on blu ray, and Tv shows I REALLY want on dvd.
Old 10-14-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I've been a collector as long as I can remember. If it wasn't DVDs, I'd be collecting books or cars or something. I enjoy the whole process of tracking things down, completing sets, organizing things, etc. Since I love film as well, DVDs were perfect for me. I've pretty much given up all of my past collections and just do DVDs now. While I understand the logic and reasons many of you have given for not needing to own tons of movies, I don't think I'll ever get to a similar point. Collecting is who I am.
I have a collector mentality as well, but I tend to think of movies/music differently than sports cards, action figures, etc since they are something you use to enjoy, rather than just looking at them.
Old 10-14-10, 10:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I have a collector mentality as well, but I tend to think of movies/music differently than sports cards, action figures, etc since they are something you use to enjoy, rather than just looking at them.
Exactly. While I would never criticize collectors, being one, I understand the arguments of those who don't understand the mentality of collecting stamps you'll never mail, coins you'll never spend, or anything else without a practical purpose. I purposely chose a collectible with a very practical purpose, watching film. I never buy a DVD I don't plan to watch, and I am a personal Blockbuster for my family and friends.
Old 10-14-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I think the thing that is difficult to swallow when collecting DVDs is how worthless they become after a few years. The DVD you bought for $24.95 is now worth $1 at a garage sale.

Not only are they worth nothing monetarily-speaking, they become worthless to yourself as technology moves on. I'm sure many Blu-ray owners who once cherished their DVD collection now find it hard to watch a DVD without a critical eye for every spot of grain or minor pixelation.

Other collectables such as stamps, coins, vintage cars, toys etc. generally hold their value or increase. Even if they don't, they still have value in that they haven't been replaced by something "better". A Wayne Gretzky rookie card may not be worth the $500 you paid for it but it doesn't cause you to like it any less. It's still the one and only rookie card.

Last edited by orangerunner; 10-14-10 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the thing that is difficult to swallow when collecting DVDs is how worthless they become after a few years. The DVD you bought for $24.95 is now worth $1 at a garage sale.

Not only are they worth nothing monetarily-speaking, they become worthless to yourself as technology moves on. I'm sure many Blu-ray owners who onced cherished their DVD collection now find it hard to watch DVD without a critical eye for every spot of grain or minor pixelation.

Other collectables such as stamps, coins, vintage cars, toys etc. generally hold their value or increase. Even if they don't, they still have value in that they haven't been replaced by something "better". A Wayne Gretzky rookie card may not be worth the $500 you paid for it but it hasn't been replaced by something better. It's still the one and only rookie card.
Amen Brother. Also the collectors of books or CD's can flip through the book while in the can, or take some CD's in the car. Although they can also get to the point of impossible to fully enjoy, other media is easier to catch in small doses.
Old 10-14-10, 06:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

mmmm, I don't have a job.... that seems like a suitable answer to the question
Old 10-14-10, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, but I don't think people collect DVDs in the same way as they collect stamps, coins, etc. DVDs are made to be used, not just sit on a shelf. Except for a few rare titles, I doubt that most people were expecting it to be an "investment." Even for titles with collectors' packaging, the appeal seems to be how good it will look in your home, not how much you might be able to sell it for later.

And as far as not being able to use DVDs on the go, tell that to people who have made digital copies (and not just the titles that come with legitimate DCs) and watch them in their cars, on the phone, whatever. Personally I feel they aren't worth watching that way, but others seem to love it.
Old 10-14-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This past year I went through my DVDs as I've been jumping into Blu Ray. Of the 600 DVDs I had at the time, I only truly would consider upgrading 100 of them.

I cut down alot because some movies I bought but never watched. Also seeing how I would spend X amount on a release only to see it nosedive in price within a year has put me off to buying releases like I used to. Also realized some titles were watched once, and probably weren't worth owning in the first place.

My biggest reason is no longer working for Best Buy. Being in the company of frivolous spenders makes it feel completely normal to buy tons of DVDs.
Old 10-14-10, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Yeah, but I don't think people collect DVDs in the same way as they collect stamps, coins, etc. DVDs are made to be used, not just sit on a shelf. Except for a few rare titles, I doubt that most people were expecting it to be an "investment." Even for titles with collectors' packaging, the appeal seems to be how good it will look in your home, not how much you might be able to sell it for later..
Yeah, DVDs are meant to be used but when a collector reaches 500 or more titles, they generally just sit on the shelf and look cool - much like coins, stamps etc. but without the investment part.

Not that there's anything wrong with that ... just be prepared for the "loss, re-purchase, loss, re-purchase" cycle.
Old 10-14-10, 08:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Not only are they worth nothing monetarily-speaking, they become worthless to yourself as technology moves on. I'm sure many Blu-ray owners who once cherished their DVD collection now find it hard to watch a DVD without a critical eye for every spot of grain or minor pixelation.
Not that there's anything wrong with that ... just be prepared for the "loss, re-purchase, loss, re-purchase" cycle.
Totally disagree with this part of your argument.

There is absolutely no need for film lovers/collectors to ever upgrade from DVD. My DVDs will play fine for decades. Many of us buy our films for the story, and while HD is nice, it is not at all necessary.
Old 10-14-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

So? I'm a movie collector not an investor.
Old 10-14-10, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Totally disagree with this part of your argument.

There is absolutely no need for film lovers/collectors to ever upgrade from DVD. My DVDs will play fine for decades. Many of us buy our films for the story, and while HD is nice, it is not at all necessary.
That's a bold statement, especially in the HD Forum! I don't have a need to upgrade personally and there's some that may make the same statement regarding Laserdisc and VHS. It's all in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

When someone states they're happy with DVD, it's generally met with scoffs, disbelief and several blunt recommendations for a trip to an optometrist.

It is fair to say that many will continue with the cycle of discontent to achieve the best looking and sounding format available. All the power to them.

Last edited by orangerunner; 10-14-10 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-14-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

For me, it was the startling realization the most new movies suck horribly. Remakes, superheros, test marketed tweaks, by the numbers Rom-coms, lazy CGI..... there are maybe 6 or 7 really good studio movies released in a year. I simply have no need to buy every piece of pablum that gets released like I used to.

And really movies like The Bounty Hunter, etc work much better as a nothing-else-in-my-queue rental than if were sitting there fuming that I wasted $20 on it.
Old 10-15-10, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Unemployed

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.