Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: To those that have cut back on collecting DVD/Blu-ray, what's the reason?

Originally Posted by asianxcore
1) Time
2) Space
3) Have most of what I want
4) Money

x2
Old 10-12-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Time and netflix. I don't impulse/blind buy as much as I used to.
Old 10-12-10, 10:06 AM

Lack of $$$ is what holds me back. Although I do try and spurge every now and then
Old 10-12-10, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

The "2006 DVD Spending Tab" thread made me reassess how much I was spending on DVDs. Given the fact that at the time, I had over 1200 DVDs and about 400 were still in shrinkwrap, and I was still spending over $100/week on movies, I knew it was time to consolidate the collection. It was actually great timing as I sold all but 75 DVDs prior to the DVD bubble bursting. I was still able to pull in $7-$10 for most DVDs. I put about $8500 into my retirement accounts and didn't look back. I've had Netflix ever since and am just now starting to build up my Blu Ray collection but am much, much more selective about what I purchase now. I have about 60 Blu Rays and between Netflix mailings, netflix streaming, and Red Box, I don't see the need to own more than that.
Old 10-12-10, 10:46 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I watched an episode of Horders
Old 10-12-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Have about 200 DVDs and realized I haven't rewatched most of them.

I stopped buying DVDs about 3 years before BD hit the market, and have taught myself to be VERY picky with what I purchase on BD.

I now have 3 criteria that all need to be met for buying a BD movie (assuming Audio/Video are up to snuff):

1. I have to LOVE the film
2. It has to have good replay value (loving the movie doesn't automatically give it good replay value)
3. Has to be $15 or less ($30 or less for Criterions)

I'm saving a buttload of money following this and I don't find myself missing out on anything.
Old 10-12-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just more selective of what I buy. I've been burned to much with crap I don't like, shitty releases, double dips all that kind of stuff. I also try to wait for sales so I'm not buying nearly as often as before.
Old 10-12-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
1. I have to LOVE the film
2. It has to have good replay value (loving the movie doesn't automatically give it good replay value)
3. Has to be $15 or less ($30 or less for Criterions)
I like number 2. I got caught in this trap during the VHS days. I bought quite a few movies I felt I should have in my collection rather than titles I would actually watch again and again.

The Sixth Sense, Schindler's List, Dances With Wolves and JFK are all great films but I don't really care to see them again and again.
Old 10-12-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
netflix and it's instant streaming have caused me to buy wayyyyyyyy less.
Same here. I scoffed at the idea of instant streaming a few years ago, but the quality of Netflix's HD feeds have impressed me. I pretty much save my Blu buying for major releases I know I'll watch a ton.

And I'm much poorer now than when I first came here, too. Coincidence?
Old 10-12-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Already have most of the movies I want, save for an occasional new release. But I do plan to upgrade any of my movie DVDs that gets released on BD if I can get it for $10 or less.

2) Netflix has reduced my blind buys somewhat, although I still do quite a few "watch and sells" since I am set up for selling DVDs and BDs at Half.com and Amazon Marketplace.

3) Like others here, I've learned to be more selective about the "rewatchability" of the movies and TV shows I buy. Never had the "collector" mentality in the first place. My DVD/BD library is an entertainment tool: I live alone in a remote area with only two channels of TV.
Old 10-12-10, 05:33 PM

BD is simply upgrading films I enjoy to take advantage and enjoyment of the home theater I put effort into.

After 12 years of DVD, I've seen what I want see and have what want at this point. I trimmed by DVD stock down to about 125 titles about three years ago and still largely using the proceeds from what I sold to fund my BD purchases.

Extras are moot at this point. I stopped enjoying them about four years ago when they became very formulaic and templated. I can't recall a time, outside a Criterion commentary, where I sat thinking, boy I'd like to watch that featurette again.

I rarely buy DVDs -- an occasional TV season of the three or four I still collect, or long-awaited set, like The Larry Sanders Show. MOD programs don't instill hate in me like some folks, but there's only been four or five to date that I've been interested in.

There are very few "new" films released each year that interest me to watch them over and over. Looking at my purchased/wishlist for this year, I'll end up with about five or six "new" films this year (Inglorious Basterds, Toy Story 3, Inception, Iron Man 2, Fantastic Mr. Fox and maybe, Scott Pilgrim).

Yeah Netflix is a contributor too, but largely for TV seasons as I ditched the cable this year and only watch OTA HD for sports.

If next year's buying habits trend like did in 2010, I'll likely only buy a handful of BD -- or DVD -- titles between December 2010 and May 2011.

Last edited by Adboy151; 10-12-10 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With regular DVD's I had great access to used titles for $10. I bought on average 5 per week. With Blu-rays I probably buy 5 per year. Instead of buying a ton of titles that end up sitting on the shelf unwatched now I rent online from Blockbuster. I only buy some critical titles and add a few to my birthday and Christmas lists.
Old 10-12-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts

$$$$$$$
Old 10-12-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm more selective buying Blu's than I was at buying DVDs, as i've realized what movies are worth owning, and which ones are worth renting.
Old 10-12-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've cut back. You probably wouldn't know it -- but I have. Mostly due to money concerns. I'm no longer earning as much (or working as much for that matter) and I have my limits like anyone does.
Old 10-13-10, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

Saturation point. I've got about 1,500 discs and sometimes I stand among them and think "when the heck am I gonna watch all of these??".

In between work, watching current TV, playing a few video games and, not necessarily in last place, getting outside once in a while to ride my bike or mow the yard, it's lucky if I get an hour a night set aside for videos.

Only during the winter can I work in that extra weekend time because it's snowing or -32° out...
Old 10-13-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

The turning point for me was several months ago. I caught myself watching a movie on broadcast tv that I had purchased and was still shrinkwrapped on my shelf. I just realized I was buying these things for some OCD reason.

I stepped back and looked at the hundreds of dvds, many still unopened and decided right then to prune. Sold 90% of them and didn't get SHIT but I'm actually happier.

Like others have said, I VERY selectively buy blu-rays that I love and some TV on DVD but that's it.
Old 10-13-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kids. We just never have the time to watch non-kid flicks anymore. I hate it. I have a stash of Blu-rays I haven't gotten to yet. Even with some of the recent sales of discs as low as $7.00 it just doesn't make sense for me to purchase. We also have Netflix and I'll stream something on the computer when I want to watch something alone. I'm also the kind of person who usually would rather watch something I've never seen before than go back again.
Old 10-13-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far this year i have spent around $2,133.48 for 427 movies,I think that's the most I have ever spent and to me it's a hobby and once we put our child to bed my wife and I will watch one movie a night. Which she enjoys because it eliminates mindless surfing of channels.

It's a lot of money BUT, I have offset at least 95% of the cost with selling CDs ,Books and some Movies from my collection that I did not like. So all in all It takes up a lot of my time and I enjoy it as a fun diversion from regular mundane (but important!) tasks like changing diapers.

I met a guy the other day and he was complaining about the costs of his Cable bill and he told me they made him a deal(which I thought was not a very good deal..) and the deal was $180 a month for every channel imaginable.
That comes out to $2,160 for the year still more than I have spent on owning the movies,I'd rather own something than let it slip right thru my hands and disappear for ever.
Old 10-13-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mh4268
I can only watch so many movies. I have gotten to the point where I have things sitting on my shelf unopened going on like 5 years, not much point in buying more unless I KNOW I will watch it soon and repeatedly.
This is partially true for me. I don't have very many unopened ones but I could watch a different movie every day for 2 straight years and still not watch the same one twice. I just don't have time to watch them. I will never rewatch my whole collection again either. Problem is they basically have no value either so instead of getting a $1.00 or two I just keep them. I have not purchased very many Blu rays either for the same reason if I know I will rewatch it again soon I may purchase it. I have had a PS3 for almost 2 years now and have purchased only 14 blu rays for it and all of them were $10 or less.
Old 10-13-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would everyone feel differently about their collections if that was the only way you could view/own them?...I mean if there was No Rentals,Streaming and such.
Cable can exist because they don't show good movies anyway (except TCM).

What i am saying is that I have around 3,000 CDs, there is no way I can listen to them in a year, But sometimes I love looking through my shelving and picking out an album to listen to.
With music they don't play albums on the radio ,there is no rental system ,you can go to the library but I doubt they would have Nick Lowes "Labour Of Lust" or Duke Ellingtons "Far East Suite". My point being it's nice to own something of an acquired taste,what makes you you so to speak.
You shouldn't have to feel guilty that you have a thousand of anything books,movies,music sitting on your shelves.
Old 10-13-10, 12:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Great thread. It's interesting to see how many of you have "given up" the addiction of buying DVDs.

For those of you who have: Do you find your time/money going into any other similar pursuit?

I've been a collector as long as I can remember. If it wasn't DVDs, I'd be collecting books or cars or something. I enjoy the whole process of tracking things down, completing sets, organizing things, etc. Since I love film as well, DVDs were perfect for me. I've pretty much given up all of my past collections and just do DVDs now. While I understand the logic and reasons many of you have given for not needing to own tons of movies, I don't think I'll ever get to a similar point. Collecting is who I am.

I could ramble on for several more paragraphs, but will stop for now.
Old 10-13-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
Would everyone feel differently about their collections if that was the only way you could view/own them?...I mean if there was No Rentals,Streaming and such.
Cable can exist because they don't show good movies anyway (except TCM).

What i am saying is that I have around 3,000 CDs, there is no way I can listen to them in a year, But sometimes I love looking through my shelving and picking out an album to listen to.
With music they don't play albums on the radio ,there is no rental system ,you can go to the library but I doubt they would have Nick Lowes "Labour Of Lust" or Duke Ellingtons "Far East Suite". My point being it's nice to own something of an acquired taste,what makes you you so to speak.
You shouldn't have to feel guilty that you have a thousand of anything books,movies,music sitting on your shelves.
I say if it's something you enjoy, go for it. There's always lots of ways to justify sending on almost anything.

"My buddy spends $2500 per year on smokes!"

"My other buddy drops $350 per month at the bar!"

Going out to a movie is $20 per couple minimum. You watch the movie and maybe it's good, maybe not. At the end there's nothing to show for it but it's a night out which, to me, is more special than plugging another movie into the disc player.

It's a matter of your own personal preference and priorities.

My learning curve was with VHS, where I had bought too many titles for the wrong reasons (ie. it was cheap, it was the hot new release etc.). With DVD I became much more selective.
Old 10-13-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My reason? I have come to the realization that I have so much unwatched stuff on my shelves (especially TV series) that to add to it in unreasonable amounts isn't worth it. Also, noticing newer pricing trends where release day is no longer the best day for many titles to pick them up.

Case in point: when new seasons of Fox and WB shows come out, there's usually a sale on prior seasons. I decided this year to wait on Big Bang Theory, Fringe, and Smallville's latest season releases until next fall.
Old 10-13-10, 01:19 PM

I usually catch a movie at the theater once a week. Yet there are few movies that make me want to own them after seeing them, so rewatchable is a reason. I did more blind buying and now have many titles to watch. I don't blind buy as much since I think of all the movie/tv that remain still unwatch and what was I thinking buying them. Am working on being more selective with Blu. I now try to redbox or stream titles that interest me to view once. Most of what I still get is contining tv series but I wait until there are between $10-15/season usually around black friday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.