Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

New wave of Universal catalog releases

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

New wave of Universal catalog releases

Old 10-07-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New wave of Universal catalog releases

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
last DVD, the 25th Anniversary with the white cover and double-sided disc, is the only time the TC has been available on DVD (maybe on home video ever...?). If you've ever watched the movie on DVD, odds are extremely high you saw the longer version.
It's funny how wrong people can be.

The theatrical cut was all that was available between 1980 and 1998. In '98 the extended cut was released on DVD and the theatrical cut was re-released on VHS to tie in with "Blues Brothers 2000". Considering that was during DVD's infancy I'd be surprised if the DVD outsold the VHS for a few years. About a year later the extended edition was released on VHS too.

There was only 7 years ('98-'05) in which the theatrical cut was unavailable on DVD and again, that '98 VHS tape was pretty widely available at that time. I'd be surprised if 10% of people who have seen the movie have seen the extended version.
Old 10-07-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

For Love of the Game would have been so fitting after last night. I'm still excited for To Kill a Mockingbird, Dazed and Confused, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Eternal Sunshine (really want to revisit this after watching Inception).

Last edited by John Galt; 10-07-10 at 03:42 PM. Reason: because I can
Old 10-07-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I've seen the extended edition of Blues Brothers, and the only difference I can remember was a scene when Aykroyd goes to resign from his day job or something, and get a can of cheeze whiz....weird.
Old 10-07-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In regards to Criterion and Universal titles, David Prior has confirmed Criterion is working on a Blu-ray edition of The Game.
Old 10-07-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

So in for most of these.
Old 10-07-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Not really. Criterion wants to put the effort in on every title, and it's not like you see Criterion Blu-Rays of all their big releases, just a select few. So far we have Charade and Videodrome, I'm sure more will follow.I thought I heard the HD-DVD was good. And the extras are pretty good, in my book. At least 3.5, but this is in reference to the 2-disc set, not the 1-disc. The HD-DVD had all the extras from the 2-disc set.The last DVD, the 25th Anniversary with the white cover and double-sided disc, is the only time the TC has been available on DVD (maybe on home video ever...?). If you've ever watched the movie on DVD, odds are extremely high you saw the longer version.
I might meet you half way at 3 stars. But, for me, it was still a disappointing set of extras. I know we all have our own standards, but, for example, MOST of the time I deduct points if one of the primary stars isn't involved in a commentary. And, again, I look at the amount of time we get with the cast in a movie like this during and after production more than I do deleted scenes unless those scenes are really interesting or when they're alternate endings. I guess that I was bummed that they made the time to get Jim and Kate to sit down and talk and we only get 15 minutes each and they're not even talking half the time.

That said, it's all about transfer. I asked Gizmo about this one. It's one of my top 10. Video and audio is where it's going to matter. If this only gets 3 to 3 1/2 stars in video and probably 4 in audio, that probably means I'll pick it up when it's cheap because the one I have is at least 3 1/2 to 4 video.
Old 10-07-10, 08:36 PM

Billy Madison looks outstanding on HD DVD. Animal House looks really great, as well.
Old 10-07-10, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by The Reaper
Billy Madison looks outstanding on HD DVD. Animal House looks really great, as well.
It might have in 2006. Not sure about now...
Old 10-07-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I recall some comparisons of the HD DVD of Eternal Sunshine and the Japanese BD at AVS showed the Japanase disc was better. I'll stick with my import on this one unless the BD is revealed to have better PQ.
Old 10-07-10, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It might have in 2006. Not sure about now...
It's hasn't been too long since I watched Madison. I think people will be impressed. Animal House, I know some sites gave it average reviews, but I think the picture underneath all that grain, just looks fantastic.

Now, Fast Times, that's not going to blow anyone away.

I haven't checked out my HD DVDs of Eternal Sunshine or Ray yet.
Old 10-07-10, 10:00 PM

Wow, great list of releases. Will be wish-listing four or five on that list. I hope they keep them coming...
Old 10-07-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

American Graffiti
The Birds
The Blues Brothers
Dazed and Confused
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
National Lampoon's Animal House
Out of Sight
To Kill a Mockingbird

Those will be mine. Admittedly, I'm disappointed that Criterion's not doing Dazed And Confused, but oh well. Perhaps Universal will go the Do The Right Thing and Spartacus route as far as the extras are concerned (NOT the picture quality).

I am also surprised that titles such as Mallrats and The Big Lebowski aren't being released as well. I'd think they'd fit right in with that wave...

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
The fact that no Universal titles (or very little, I'm not sure) have been released on Blu-ray by Criterion certainly means something though.
Well, Videodrome is getting released in December on Blu by Criterion, and supposedly, the newest newsletter clue is for a Blu-Ray of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (which was already released on Blu by Universal, interestingly enough).
Old 10-07-10, 10:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
I am probably the only one who cares, but I hope they get some damn consistency and put the "swoosh" thing back on the bottom of their front covers. Their most recent releases have been very random as to which ones have it, and some haven't had it at all. I really like the uniformity between Universal titles in that respect, and I really hope they go back to it.
I have a feeling these will be exactly what Universal prepared back in 2008 - so the cover art they did will be the same as those early releases. I'm very interested to pop in Billy Madison and see the 'created' date on the disc.
Old 10-08-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's funny how wrong people can be.

The theatrical cut was all that was available between 1980 and 1998. In '98 the extended cut was released on DVD and the theatrical cut was re-released on VHS to tie in with "Blues Brothers 2000". Considering that was during DVD's infancy I'd be surprised if the DVD outsold the VHS for a few years. About a year later the extended edition was released on VHS too.

There was only 7 years ('98-'05) in which the theatrical cut was unavailable on DVD and again, that '98 VHS tape was pretty widely available at that time. I'd be surprised if 10% of people who have seen the movie have seen the extended version.
Well, for the record, I saw The Blues Brothers for the first time on VHS tape before I saw it on DVD. It came in a hard plastic clamshell, and it was the extended version (EDIT: this one; listing says release date was 1999 http://cgi.ebay.com/Blues-Brothers-V...#ht_2193wt_905). I believe there were interviews after the movie, but it wasn't the full doc that's on the DVD. It wasn't until I went to a Fathom Event screening of the movie in 2005 (to promote that 25th anniversary DVD, which I went to a 24-hour Wal-Mart afterward and purchased) that I saw the theatrical version. I think that's the only time I've ever watched it that way (it was never mentioned it'd be the TC, but I guess since I was seeing in theaters I might've figured that out) and I personally missed most of the extensions.

Still, I don't think that makes me all that wrong: the theatrical cut, on the flipper, was the first time the TC was made available on DVD. I did add the all-important question mark indicating that I wasn't sure.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 10-08-10 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-11-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Digital Bits confirmed with Universal that all of those titles will be released in 2010 and into 2011 (by Summer, supposedly). Hopefully Rear Window will follow The Birds later next year.
Old 10-11-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty excited for Out of Sight and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I always thought Out of Sight had a great transfer, even for 2010 standards.
Old 01-16-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To Kill a Mockingbird - 4/5
Old 01-16-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
To Kill a Mockingbird - 4/5
Old 01-16-11, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The fact that no Universal titles (or very little, I'm not sure) have been released on Blu-ray by Criterion certainly means something though.
Well, as I commented on my previous post, Criterion plans on releasing their own version of Fear And Loathing on Blu-Ray, even though Universal has released it already. That could mean that Dazed And Confused may get a Criterion Blu-Ray eventually, too.
Old 01-16-11, 11:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Blue Crush - awesome, a guilty pleasure for me, the cinematography is incredible

up for:

Babe
The Birds
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

what no Casper - the 5.1 soundmix might be a tad dated, but still it's really impressive
Old 01-16-11, 11:37 AM

Hooray for The Birds! There's definitely an under representation of Hitch on Blu. Hopefully Universal doesn't screw it up.
Old 01-16-11, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Universal France mentioned in an interview that Scarface, The Jurassic Park Trilogy, more Hitchcock, Winchester 73, Shenandoah and High Plains Drifter are all planned for this year. Which means they should show up here as well around the same time.
Old 01-16-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There is a separate thread for those titles.
Old 01-16-11, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Well, as I commented on my previous post, Criterion plans on releasing their own version of Fear And Loathing on Blu-Ray, even though Universal has released it already. That could mean that Dazed And Confused may get a Criterion Blu-Ray eventually, too.
And hopefully Spartacus.
Old 01-16-11, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And lets not forget Traffic

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.