DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   New shows shot in HD but not being released on Blu-ray - why? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/579486-new-shows-shot-hd-but-not-being-released-blu-ray-why.html)

calhoun07 09-19-10 11:22 PM

Re: New shows shot in HD but not being released on Blu-ray - why?

Universal is showing House on Universal HDTV. So they already have invested in doing the first five seasons in HD.

There will be a complete series set of this. Universal did it with Battlestar Galactica and I am willing to bet they will do it with House. I don't know for sure...but it's looking like they will. I refuse to buy the series on DVD mainly because season six is in Blu, the series is done in HD for their TV channel, and the first season on DVD wasn't even anamorphic. I wager that Universal knows this and realizes there's money to be made in a complete series set on Blu-Ray down the road.

DJariya 09-19-10 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 10381178)
Universal is showing House on Universal HDTV. So they already have invested in doing the first five seasons in HD.

There will be a complete series set of this. Universal did it with Battlestar Galactica and I am willing to bet they will do it with House. I don't know for sure...but it's looking like they will. I refuse to buy the series on DVD mainly because season six is in Blu, the series is done in HD for their TV channel, and the first season on DVD wasn't even anamorphic. I wager that Universal knows this and realizes there's money to be made in a complete series set on Blu-Ray down the road.

Well, Hugh Laurie is only under contract to do House through season 8 and that's only if the ratings are still good and FOX keeps it. So your wait might not be too long.

Evan Meadow 09-20-10 01:19 AM

Part of the situation is also dependent upon if any special features are exclusive to Blu or not.

I'll eventually get Spartacus because of the exclusive cuts (as well as the fact it'll look really good in HD of course) but if they just kept everything the same on both versions I would probably just get the regular DVD version.

phrekyos 09-20-10 06:05 AM

Re: Community (S1) --> $17.99 --> Target.com

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner (Post 10380970)
That's what he's saying.

There are a number of shows that had started to be released on Blu-ray but stopped midstream, including C.S.I, Prison Break, Damages, Nip/Tuck, Justice League, Burn Notice... I mean, just because something has come out on Blu-ray doesn't mean future volumes are gonna keep coming.

I was holding out for a Blu-ray release of Community, but at $17.99...? I'd have to be kinda nuts not to bite.

Prison Break was actually all released on Blu-ray, just not in the USA. I had to go to Amazon France to buy Seasons 2 and 4.

Anyway, if a show is HD and only released on DVD and not Blu-ray, I won't buy it. It's that simple. Why would I want to spend money for something inferior to what I saw on TV? (No, the extras aren't enough to overcome that.)

Eric D. 09-20-10 06:35 AM

I'll never understand the people that think that some shows/movies are not worth watching in HD based on their content. It usually the same type who thinks old B&W films will not look any different in HD either. Just curious, are there things that are only worth watching on VHS? Regardless of what the show or film is about, it will look better in HD. For those of us who have invested a lot of money in our home theaters, I would like to see as much HD content as possible.

As for Community, I would have purchased it on Blu for $45 in a second.

kstublen 09-20-10 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Eric D. (Post 10381396)
I'll never understand the people that think that some shows/movies are not worth watching in HD based on their content. It usually the same type who thinks old B&W films will not look any different in HD either. Just curious, are there things that are only worth watching on VHS? Regardless of what the show or film is about, it will look better in HD. For those of us who have invested a lot of money in our home theaters, I would like to see as much HD content as possible.

I understand that everything benefits from Blu-ray, but there comes a point when the slight improvement in picture quality is outweighed by the premium cost. The fact of the matter is, for me, that I'd rather watch Battlestar Galactica on Blu-ray and Community on DVD than the other way around because the benefits of Blu-ray are more obvious.

For what it's worth, I'd rather watch The Twilight Zone (something I want to get but it is too expensive at the moment) or an old black-and-white movie on Blu-ray than Community or [insert generic romantic comedy movie] on Blu-ray because I think older stuff benefits more from the HD treatment; more goes into the restoration process, there are significant improvements to be made, and they really go to town on special features.

Sure, your modern day show or movie will also benefit from the improved picture quality, but since it was shot in the present it's obviously already got the advantage of a cleaner, crisper image and a lack of damage to the prints.

You bring up watching things on VHS, but that's pretty different. The benefit of DVD to VHS wasn't just improved picture quality, but watching things on a disc. Blu-ray only has the advantage of improved picture and sound and certain types of special features unavailable to DVD; there isn't the convenience-in-viewing upgrade that DVD had over VHS.

At the end of the day, just because I have a Blu-ray Player doesn't mean I'm going to buy something on Blu-ray over DVD, especially if there is a greater price disparity or if I've already got the entire series on DVD and only the last few seasons are released on Blu-ray.

Gizmo 09-20-10 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10381047)
So just to be clear, there hasn't been any legitimate chatter about Breaking Bad season 3 not appearing on Blu-Ray - it's 100% speculation based on Sony's history?

Correct. Well, aside from Season 3 DVD Artwork appearing on TVShowsonDVD and no Blu-ray to go with it. Or an Amazon pre-order listing for the DVD only. Things can change though.

JimRochester 09-20-10 04:18 PM

I don't buy much TV on DVD however for the Chuck season releases I ended up buying the SD instead of the BR. I rented the BR first and was very disappointed in the quality. I hate buying SD but the extra $$ wasn't worth it.

doctorthodt 09-20-10 04:32 PM

Chuck season 1 is notoriously terrible on BD, but the latter two seasons are a sizable improvement.

b2net 09-20-10 05:18 PM

I was not impressed with the PQ of Chuck S1 on Blu. It didn't seem much better than the 480p DVD w/o upconvert.

JohnnyDaBull 09-20-10 06:06 PM

It also bothers me the lack of tv bd releases. I would love to get Sarah Silverman Program, Tim and Eric, or The Boondocks on BD...but it looks like that will never happen.

Blu Man 09-20-10 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by b2net (Post 10382568)
I was not impressed with the PQ of Chuck S1 on Blu. It didn't seem much better than the 480p DVD w/o upconvert.

That's the source format, not the Blu ray.

calhoun07 09-20-10 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eric D. (Post 10381396)

I also agree that just about everything looks better on Blu-Ray...just about. There are some movies I've seen that really look no better than an upconverted DVD. There are a few scenes here and there where you can see more definition but not enough to make me buy the title all over again. The same would be for TV programs, so I can understand the thought behind this. Perhaps upconverted Castle is fine for most folks and maybe a Blu-Ray wouldn't look much better? Just for example...I don't know.

fitprod 09-20-10 06:42 PM

You know, I can rationalize some of the show being abandoned, such as Damages, Rescue Me and the sitcoms, but Prison Break is the most infuriating.

It not like the show has been releases in full on Blu-ray... Oh wait, it has...
http://www.amazon.com/Prison-Complet...5025932&sr=8-5

Why the hell release it in France (of all places) and not release Season 2 & 4 in the states.

This is the stupidity, that makes no sense.

fitprod

Mike86 09-20-10 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by fitprod (Post 10382722)
You know, I can rationalize some of the show being abandoned, such as Damages, Rescue Me and the sitcoms, but Prison Break is the most infuriating.

It not like the show has been releases in full on Blu-ray... Oh wait, it has...
http://www.amazon.com/Prison-Complet...5025932&sr=8-5

Why the hell release it in France (of all places) and not release Season 2 & 4 in the states.

This is the stupidity, that makes no sense.

fitprod

What I never understood about Prison Break since I wasn't really into Blu-rays when this was being released. How did it end up where seasons 1 and 3 came out but not 2 and 4. I mean what they released 1 it didn't sell well enough to continue with season 2 but they tried again on season 3 or what? It makes no sense to me.

Moopher 09-20-10 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 10382755)
What I never understood about Prison Break since I wasn't really into Blu-rays when this was being released. How did it end up where seasons 1 and 3 came out but not 2 and 4. I mean what they released 1 it didn't sell well enough to continue with season 2 but they tried again on season 3 or what? It makes no sense to me.

I could be wrong, but I believe they sold season three on blu as one of the first shows on blu. Later down the road they included season one, it probably sold horribly, so no more PB on BD. Though I know they had that one seperate release on BD as well.

doctorthodt 09-20-10 07:12 PM

Also, fans of The Tudors can import the (region free) Blu-Rays from the UK. Wish I could say the same for the rest of Damages.

E Unit 09-20-10 07:38 PM

I'm still hoping the entire series of Alias hits BD. I believe every season was shot in HD.

Gizmo 09-20-10 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies (Post 10382815)
I'm still hoping the entire series of Alias hits BD. I believe every season was shot in HD.

That chance passed when Lost hit Blu-ray.

Maybe if it gets remade?

AmityBoatTours 09-21-10 12:15 AM

As long as 24 season 8 still comes on blu this december when the DVD is released i will be happy. i Have had it on pre order with amazon since the first day they have had it availble for pre order.

would be nice to see them get to work on giving us seasons 1 through 6 as well not to mention Redemption. though i have a feeling most of those might not happen till the eventual theatrical release of 24 the movie.

The Reaper 09-21-10 12:27 AM

I'm still bummed there's no How I Met Your Mother Season 5.

Kevin M. Dean 09-21-10 12:37 AM

Re: Community (S1) --> $17.99 --> Target.com

Originally Posted by phrekyos (Post 10381391)
Prison Break was actually all released on Blu-ray, just not in the USA. I had to go to Amazon France to buy Seasons 2 and 4.

I recommend this to anyone that wants to finish Prison Break. I just got season 2 & 4 for about $39 each including shipping and it only took a little over a week to get here. Menus and audio defaults are English so it's only the packaging that's French.

Kevin M. Dean 09-21-10 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Moopher (Post 10382769)
I could be wrong, but I believe they sold season three on blu as one of the first shows on blu. Later down the road they included season one, it probably sold horribly, so no more PB on BD. Though I know they had that one seperate release on BD as well.

Basically Season 1 was released first as a back-catalog release. Season 3 was released with the Season 3 dvd was release as a new item. Then when season 4 was released they didn't release the BD, but they did release the BD of the Final Break movie that came out almost 2 months later.

phrekyos 09-21-10 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean (Post 10383433)
Basically Season 1 was released first as a back-catalog release. Season 3 was released with the Season 3 dvd was release as a new item. Then when season 4 was released they didn't release the BD, but they did release the BD of the Final Break movie that came out almost 2 months later.

Yep, that's what happened. I have to wonder if PB would have sold better here if it was priced like the French versions, rather than $70 for Season 1 and like $60 for Season 3.