Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chances of Voyager and DS9 coming out on Blu?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I ask this because I already own Next Gen on DVD and noticed both Voyager and DS9 complete DVD collections (legit sets) can be had for ~$130 now. I figure that's about as cheap as they're going to get and if I want to pick them up, now's the time. It would be pointless if they were coming out on Blu though.

I guess there might be some hope that Next Gen might come out on Blu but we've heard nothing as far as these other two series go. Safe to pick them up on DVD?
Old 09-13-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chances of Voyager and DS9 coming out on Blu?

Your Blu-ray wish list / "When will _______ be on Blu-ray?"
Old 09-13-10, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As of right now, I'd say chances for those two series are currently well under 1%.....
Old 09-13-10, 01:25 AM
Banned

Well, yes, I knew about that thread, but that really doesn't answer the question does it? I'm asking if there's a chance at all if those series will come out, not when.

There has been occasional rumors about TNG coming out, but that would require extensive restoration and totally redoing the effects (ala TOS). I would think the same applies to the other two series as well.
Old 09-13-10, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Well, yes, I knew about that thread, but that really doesn't answer the question does it? I'm asking if there's a chance at all if those series will come out, not when.

There has been occasional rumors about TNG coming out, but that would require extensive restoration and totally redoing the effects (ala TOS). I would think the same applies to the other two series as well.
Anything could happen. So I'm sure there's a chance since it's Star Trek. Just depends how long you want to wait.
Old 09-13-10, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First The Next Generation (which is FAR more popular than DS9 or Voy) has to come out and KILL on blu-ray. I'm confident that we'll see that in the next 5 years. I'd expect it sometime in the future. Star Trek is the ULTIMATE cash cow for Paramount... so it'll happen. How soon is the question.

Supposedly test episodes of TNG and DS9 have been done. It's just the cost that's holding it back. Since they were cut on video originally... they need to go back to the original film negatives and totally re-edit the episodes AND re-do the special effects. It's harder than the original Trek, which was edited on film.
Old 09-13-10, 04:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They CAN remaster the effects, but it's not neccessary. They could just put on blu-ray, after maybe a little noise cleanup.
Old 09-13-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
They CAN remaster the effects, but it's not neccessary. They could just put on blu-ray, after maybe a little noise cleanup.
Right. I mean eventually when DVD is a retired format like VHS...
Old 09-13-10, 08:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

...both Voyager and DS9 complete DVD collections (legit sets) can be had for ~$130 now.
Wow, I was assuming you were referring to a PAL version from a different region or something until I looked at eBay. Anyone know why so many of these sets are flooding eBay? Even on Amazon market place DS9 is over $250 new.
Old 09-13-10, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

We got Dr. Horrible on Blu-ray - anything is possible.
Old 09-13-10, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by josepotato
Wow, I was assuming you were referring to a PAL version from a different region or something until I looked at eBay. Anyone know why so many of these sets are flooding eBay? Even on Amazon market place DS9 is over $250 new.
I assume that like anything else they've been out for a long time and those who really want it already have it.
Old 09-13-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently needed some cash and sold my (kinda junky... very used) DS9 sets for $189 on Amazon Marketplace.

The newer slim sets are quite cheap on Amazon UK if you can play Region 2 discs... and from what I understand there's no speedup on those discs (they were converted to PAL for broadcast)
Old 09-13-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WMAangel
As of right now, I'd say chances for those two series are currently well under 1%.....
I agree. The two series just weren't popular enough to justify the enormous effort and cost to rework them in high def. (BTW, DS9 is my favorite Star Trek series by far, so I'd like to be wrong about this.)

Just doing a simple upscaled transfer from SD video to HD would draw howls of protest I think; we can do that already with our BD players.
Old 09-13-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm hoping for a Blu release of Ds9 as well, since a lot of the visual effects were real models I think the effects will hold up pretty well. Last year my wife and I ran through Ds9 again and it was just as good if not better than when I first watched it on DVD a couple years back.
Old 09-13-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
We got Dr. Horrible on Blu-ray - anything is possible.
Dr. Horrible was produced in HD and was a "flavor of the month". When it's as old as DS9 is now, don't look for it to be available on an emerging format.

I'd like to see Enterprise of BD. I'm one of the few who seemed to like it. Would love to see HD versions of the mirror universe episodes.
Old 09-13-10, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lizard
I agree. The two series just weren't popular enough to justify the enormous effort and cost to rework them in high def. (BTW, DS9 is my favorite Star Trek series by far, so I'd like to be wrong about this.)

Just doing a simple upscaled transfer from SD video to HD would draw howls of protest I think; we can do that already with our BD players.
Agreed. Even if they did re-release these on Blu I would not buy them, regardless of the price. Upconversion does me just fine.
Old 09-13-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just watched the tribble episode of DS9 the other night for the first on on the TOS S2 blu and it looked iffy. It wasnt bad for 1080i and not being cleaned up but definitely needs work if DS9 is to be released.
Old 09-13-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I'd like to see Enterprise of BD.
Enterprise is the highest potential of seeing a BD release. If I remember correctly, the episodes were actually filmed with the expectation they were ready for HD. You just might get your wish... but that depends on demand and if they want to release these in order of the series airing...
Old 09-14-10, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by b2net
Enterprise is the highest potential of seeing a BD release. If I remember correctly, the episodes were actually filmed with the expectation they were ready for HD. You just might get your wish... but that depends on demand and if they want to release these in order of the series airing...
Enterprise was shot completely in HD and was shown on HDNet (until recently) for quite a while. I don't see any reason for it not to be released on BD. That said I've seen it so many times I don't need to buy it (HDNet was running it 3 episodes in a row, every day, for almost a year).
Old 09-14-10, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Based on what I saw of Enterprise on HDnet, those expecting a super-sharp picture would be disappointed. It seemed pretty soft in broadcast. Maybe the BD would be better.
Old 09-14-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
I just watched the tribble episode of DS9 the other night for the first on on the TOS S2 blu and it looked iffy. It wasnt bad for 1080i and not being cleaned up but definitely needs work if DS9 is to be released.
That was a simple upconvert from the SD master (though it was done with professional equipment, and not just a customer grade playback device).

I really don't have a lot of hope for DS9 or VOY to be redone for HD, but I think TNG will eventually get it.

I wouldn't mind having DS9 and VOY on Bluray though, even if they're just SD transfers. At the very least they won't be as compressed and you could fit a ton of episodes on each disc.
Old 09-14-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I wouldn't mind having DS9 and VOY on Bluray though, even if they're just SD transfers. At the very least they won't be as compressed and you could fit a ton of episodes on each disc.
Depending on the codec involved, theoretically an entire season's worth of episodes would fit onto one dual-layer 50GB Blu-ray disc for any SD television show running 20+ episodes.
Old 09-14-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Don't you just love the smart answer of a link to a thread that sort of but not really addresses the original question?
I personally dont hold out much hope for TNG or the other Trek series to come to blue. My undestanding of the situation with TNG, as has been already stated here, is that it is a pretty involved process for the series. Maybe we will see a resurgence in Trek when the new film comes out, whenever that will be. Until then, I will do whatever I can to get the series' to come out on blue ray. Meaning I just finished my acquisition fo the seasons of TNG, and just got the DS9 set on ebay for $100, with the intention fo getting the rest of the series as well.
Old 09-14-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whats really kind of funny was a few years ago Michael Dorn complained about seeing sttng and DS9 in HD on TNN (SPIKE) and how it was really noticeable how sometimes the make up mistakes from rush jobs on certain days were really visable. And that back durring the filming of those shows no one ever thought one day they would look clearer than they did in the original broadcasts.

If he thinks its really noticeable on the upconverted HD tv broadcasts, i wonder what he would think if they ever do invest the money to do a full 1080p upgrade for a bluray release.

Personally if it were priced right i wouldnt mind having a upconverted set (better than nothing) but it would have to be priced really affordable.

On a side note on the season 2 tos set the more troubles with tribbles episode was in full 1080P HD. So i would think that it could be possible that we could eventually see a TOS animated series bluray release along with a potential Enterprise bluray release.
Old 09-14-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also think that if CBS wanted to test the waters on how well a TNG Bluray set would sell. They could take a release a best of TNG remasterd bluray set with maybe like 5 or 10 classic episodes.
such as
Best of Both Worlds parts 1 and 2
Yesterdays Enterprise
Relic
Unification Parts 1 and 2
All Good Things parts 1 and 2
Q who

I would imagine this would be much cheaper to do than attempting to do a whole season or seasons and would give them a idea if it was worth the investment of money to do.

or maybe a set with a mixture of episodes from TNG DS9, VOY

Or they could do what they did with tos and partner up with a manufacture who would help pay a chunk of the cost.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.