Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Chances of Voyager and DS9 coming out on Blu?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Chances of Voyager and DS9 coming out on Blu?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Chances of Voyager and DS9 coming out on Blu?

Dang, son....you must really love this stuff. I'm just hear to see the discussion and details for the hell of it.
Old 09-15-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

The problem with TNG, DS9, and VOY on blu-ray is that these shows were edited on videotape, so this is as good as they're ever going to look.

The original Star Trek series was easy to upgrade since it was shot on film and edited that way, so they only had to restore the original film elements and replace a few special effects shots with CGI.

In order to do this with the 80s/90s Trek material, they would have to go back to the original film elements/dailies for the live action shots, restore them, and re-edit them back into complete episodes. These elements might or might not still exist in usable condition. And then they would have to go back and recreate the special effects shots with CGI.

Also take into consideration that while TOS had only about eighty episodes, while TNG, DS9, and VOY have a combined total of over 500 episodes.

I could see Paramount maybe restoring a few TNG episodes as a test, maybe enough to do a couple of "Best of" compilations, but I doubt they will ever go back and restore the whole series, let alone DS9 and VOY.
Old 09-16-10, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The problem with TNG, DS9, and VOY on blu-ray is that these shows were edited on videotape, so this is as good as they're ever going to look.

The original Star Trek series was easy to upgrade since it was shot on film and edited that way, so they only had to restore the original film elements and replace a few special effects shots with CGI.

In order to do this with the 80s/90s Trek material, they would have to go back to the original film elements/dailies for the live action shots, restore them, and re-edit them back into complete episodes. These elements might or might not still exist in usable condition. And then they would have to go back and recreate the special effects shots with CGI.

Also take into consideration that while TOS had only about eighty episodes, while TNG, DS9, and VOY have a combined total of over 500 episodes.

I could see Paramount maybe restoring a few TNG episodes as a test, maybe enough to do a couple of "Best of" compilations, but I doubt they will ever go back and restore the whole series, let alone DS9 and VOY.
umm your just repeating everything that many many others have been saying for a long time. Everyone realizes that while they were shot on film they were edited and the special effects were rendered on standard defintion video.

But to say that it will probably never happen isnt entirely 100 percent.
Old 09-16-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I really like the idea of a selected set of episodes to test the waters.
Old 09-16-10, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

But the fans don't like "best of" sets, and don't usually sell well in lieu of a full season set coming out.

In the meantime I'll just take them out of my public library. Cheaper that way.
Old 09-16-10, 11:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah but you're also talking about people who are just buying them because it's Star Trek as opposed to fans of the show. That's how Columbia House used to sell the TOS and TNG episodes VHS by popular episodes.
Old 09-17-10, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

And I think a lot of fans would understand that a full season set might not be on the horizon. I'm sure a fair number of them would be willing to plunk down 20 bucks to support the cause.
Old 09-17-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
But the fans don't like "best of" sets, and don't usually sell well in lieu of a full season set coming out.

In the meantime I'll just take them out of my public library. Cheaper that way.
Paramount released several "themed" sets on DVD, checking DVDAficionado shows: Alternate Realities (the Mirror universe and such), Borg, Captain's Log, Q, Jean-Luc Picard and Time Travel. And even though the episodes were all on the season sets, *and* there was even some overlap on within these best of sets, the first couple apparently sold well enough for them to keep releasing the next few.
Old 09-17-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be interested in a remastered "Best of TNG" set on blu in full HD... to be blunt, I can live out the rest of my days without seeing a good half of the TNG episodes ever again.

Paramount could just go through all seven years of TNG and pick out the fifty or sixty episodes that are particularly good, noteworthy, award-winning, fan favorites, sfx-heavy, or where something significant happens, remaster those in 1080p, and I would satisfied to have only those on blu-ray in HD. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of other Trek fans felt the same way. "Shades of Gray" will always be available in SD on the DVD sets for those who need to see it again.

DS9 is a bit more problematic due to the serialized nature of that show and the complex character arcs. VOY, I don't care about, though it would probably also be a good candidate for a "best of" set as well.
Old 09-19-10, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, but no one ever needs to see Shades of Gray again.
Old 09-26-10, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not interested to be honest if they come out on Blu, as I'm still buing them on DVD. I'm VERY happy with watching them in better quality on the Blu Ray player, but I won't buy them all over again. It still brakes my heart all the money I wasted on the VHS' of them, and then throwing them away recently.
Old 02-05-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting article.

Why Deep Space Nine and Voyager May Never Get the HD Remaster They Deserve
http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/w...on-blu-ray-hd/

Last edited by Match; 02-05-17 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Match
Interesting article.

Why Deep Space Nine and Voyager May Never Get the HD Remaster They Deserve
http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/w...on-blu-ray-hd/
That article is so disheartening. All they care about is short term return on investment. The remastered TOS & TNG episodes are beautiful and worth it to anybody who has ever loved them to see in all their splendor. As much as I love DS9 or Babylon 5 they're getting hard for me too watch with how bad they look compared to the stuff we get today.
Old 05-22-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Star Trek fans are supposed to be rabid and buy everything in sight but when TNG was released on Blu, many fans didn't​. If it had sold beyond expectations, Paramount would of put in the effort to release the rest of the Trek shows on Bluray.
Old 05-22-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
That article is so disheartening. All they care about is short term return on investment. The remastered TOS & TNG episodes are beautiful and worth it to anybody who has ever loved them to see in all their splendor. As much as I love DS9 or Babylon 5 they're getting hard for me too watch with how bad they look compared to the stuff we get today.
20-25 million for DS9 and Voyager would be a drop in the bucket compared to the return those properties could bring in decades from now. I am confident they will be done eventually. Paramount moves slow with anything regarding ST.
Old 05-22-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just bought the complete DS9 DVD set from Amazon, so it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll remaster it for blu-ray.

It was only $66, but still...
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-02-22)
Old 05-22-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I just bought the complete DS9 DVD set from Amazon, so it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll remaster it for blu-ray.

It was only $66, but still...
The same thing that happened to me with TNG. I bought that set with the green cases and a week or so later they announced the show was being worked on for BD.

I don't think we will see them for a while but eventually it will happen.
Old 05-22-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the green set, then sold it when the remaster project was announced, but we have yet to buy the Bluray sets because they're pricey and it's on streaming.

Paramount just needs to accept that they need a quality product to sell going forward and have these other shows remastered.

Maybe Discovery will bring enough attention to the franchise that something will change.
John Pannozzi (04-02-22)
Old 03-29-22, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the difference between the 2017 and the 2020 Star Trek Voyager Complete Series DVD box sets? I've checked and can find nothing that explains the difference between the two sets. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-29-22, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Bummer I was hoping the bump was news. I totally would buy both VOY and DS9 on Blu-ray.
John Pannozzi (04-02-22)
Old 03-29-22, 10:24 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by brucehf
What is the difference between the 2017 and the 2020 Star Trek Voyager Complete Series DVD box sets? I've checked and can find nothing that explains the difference between the two sets. Thanks for your reply.
Most likely just the packaging.

The 2017 version likely uses the older 24-disc cases.

More recently in 2020 and later, Paramount/CBS/Viacom have been using 36-discs cases.
Old 04-03-22, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I suspect even if both shows were remastered for HD, they'd be streaming exclusives.
Old 04-04-22, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I wouldn't count on disc releases, especially for DS9. Voyager has a slightly bigger appeal in that regard, but at this point it's about Paramount wanting a high definition product to have for their network.
I'm really starting to wonder why they're not taking advantage of all the improvements in upscaling at least.
Old 04-04-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah, truthfully we’re probably lucky to have gotten TNG when we did. I think if Paramount had only recently recently remastered it they likely would have put it on Paramount+ and no physical releases. Ah well, I have my two favorites on Blu-ray at least.