Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
I dont want to heat this all up again but as i said Don Hahn said it was the original version prior to the start of the screening

I Primarily mentioned morning report because that was the most obvious change to the film made back then. yes what you are talking about with the cloud formation animation with mufasa along wtih the aligators in I just cant wait to be king are as they were in the original theatrical release (aside from it being in 3D of course)and laser disc release. aside from some additional score music being placed over the end credits to accomidate for the added "3D special release" crew members.

anyways getting back to what i said no one is forecing you to watch it in 3D, you can watch it in 2D, you get both options so to me complaining about it in 3D is unnecessary, you have the choice not to watch it that way.

do you really want to go here buddy boy! i mean really?
Not only have i seen the movie in theatres durring its original theatrical run, I saw it at the El cap at the world premiere. The changes in animation that were done for dvd special edition have been undone for the 3D bluray release, it is the true theatrical cut. I like how YOU who havent seen the 3D version of the movie yet have the gull to tell me that ive never seen the original theatrical cut in theatres. Not only have i seen it but i owned the vhs, the laser disc, the dvd as well. and and i stand by what i said the movie looked great last monday night in 3D. I trust my own eyes more than i trust you or josh.

And dont tell me i dont care about presentation, I was a union projectionist at the most famous theatre in the world for over a decade. Presentation is very important to me.

I am not going to apaologize for what I know I saw in July at the test screening, and was even mentioned by the speaker (Don Han, whom I think would be one to know what they changed) prior to the start of the screening that animation that had been changed to accomidate the IMAX release of Lion King (which is what the DVD release was made from) had been reverted back in the 3D edition.

I stand by what i said, i know what i saw and heard that day.
Have you even ventured out to a theatre to check out the rerelease for yourself to see?
Old 10-13-11, 11:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ ugh... you gave me a headache.
Old 10-14-11, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Either what was screened for you was not what ended up on the Blu-Ray, or he lied/was misinformed.
Undoubtedly, what he was referring to was the fact that the extraneous "Morning Report" scene had been removed. It's very possible that he considers the rest of the artwork changes inconsequential, and may even be unaware that anyone considers them controversial.

There is zero chance that Disney prepared two separate 3D conversions for the film, one with the original artwork which was only screened once, and one with the newer artwork that was released to theaters and video. That would require far too much time, effort and money. If they had converted both versions, the Blu-ray would certainly contain both.
Old 10-14-11, 11:19 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been as nice as I can be about it, but Amity really set me up for a fall. He repeatedly reassured me that we were at last getting the original version, he rattled his credentials and said he was certain, he argued with me and vehemently insisted that we were getting the original version. Boy was I bummed when the truth came out. I'm glad I held off on buying it. Had I preordered on his recommendation I would have REALLY been bummed.

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-14-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-14-11, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Undoubtedly, what he was referring to was the fact that the extraneous "Morning Report" scene had been removed. It's very possible that he considers the rest of the artwork changes inconsequential, and may even be unaware that anyone considers them controversial.

There is zero chance that Disney prepared two separate 3D conversions for the film, one with the original artwork which was only screened once, and one with the newer artwork that was released to theaters and video. That would require far too much time, effort and money. If they had converted both versions, the Blu-ray would certainly contain both.
Yeah, I know there was no way Disney converted both versions to 3D.

I was just trying to point out that if Amity did see the original version at the screening, that would be the only possible way. Obviously that didn't happen.

It just bugs me that Amity has repeatedly assured people that the original version is what was being released, even after we all have the discs and we can see that isn't the case.
Old 10-15-11, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I've been as nice as I can be about it, but Amity really set me up for a fall. He repeatedly reassured me that we were at last getting the original version, he rattled his credentials and said he was certain, he argued with me and vehemently insisted that we were getting the original version. Boy was I bummed when the truth came out. I'm glad I held off on buying it. Had I preordered on his recommendation I would have REALLY been bummed.
You know what man, Drop it allready,I didnt set you up for anything, get over it allready.
geesh. Ive said what i have to say on the matter, if you honestly have to keep this going I feel sorry for you.

You still never even answerd my question on if you even ventured out to the theatre to see for yourself, and from the way its sounds you havent bought it to even see for yourself.

Don Hahn who worked on the film and the restoration and the 3Dconversion said it was the original theatrical version (only converted into 3D) prior to the start of the test screening.

I love how you totally gloss over the fact that the 3D conversion was excellent and the picture and sound were also great as i mentioned in my post about that test screening. But your to caught up over some blink and youll miss it stuff.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 10-15-11 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-18-11, 02:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Of course I haven't gone to see it or buy the blu ray, it's the altered version of the film. I already own that on DVD. Instead of paying money for something I don't want I read the reviews and skipped it entirely. More than just "blink and you'll miss it" stuff has been changed. The entire films has been altered. Detail not present in the original film has been added to nearly every sequence. Drag out that LD you claim to own and look at it again sometime.
Old 10-18-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Of course I haven't gone to see it or buy the blu ray, it's the altered version of the film. I already own that on DVD. Instead of paying money for something I don't want I read the reviews and skipped it entirely. More than just "blink and you'll miss it" stuff has been changed. The entire films has been altered. Detail not present in the original film has been added to nearly every sequence. Drag out that LD you claim to own and look at it again sometime.
And still you keep going,enough with it allready, so now your saying its not just 1 or 2 scenes your saying its nearly the entire film geesh! whatever man whatever. I am done with this conversation, if you wanna keep it going have at it, but whatever.
And re read my post I said I ownED (as in past tense)the Laser disc, not that I still own it all these years latter, I have a tendency to not have more than 1 copy of the same movie in my Libarary of movies.

Finished discussing this with you as its obvious were both opposite on the matter.
Old 10-18-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moving Back on track, I am excited we have TWO animated classics being released on Bluray in the same month.
Disneys 51st animated classic Winnie Pooh should look absolutely stunning when it comes out on BD next week.
Old 10-18-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you know if it's the original theatrical release?
Old 10-18-11, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

hahaha
Old 10-18-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I wish they had taken the opportunity to release The Many Adventures on Blu-ray.
Old 10-18-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I wish they had taken the opportunity to release The Many Adventures on Blu-ray.
I agree, but there is a lot of speculation that since next year is the 35th anniversary, they will release it then. not to mention Disney has been posting edited pooh interstitals of the pooh stories told in Many adventures, on youtube in 1080p that look absolutely stunning.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4ycRnLo5HQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the only thing that does actually raise an eye brow is that the narration has been re recorded by John Cleese, and Pooh is voiced by Jim Cummings, though thats probably just because these are such short little segments of each story. they post a new one each week though.
Old 10-25-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still amazed at how perfectly Jim Cummings has copied Sterling Holloway's Pooh; it's truly impressive voice acting on the part of Cummings.

That said, I hope Disney doesn't go back and re-record everything for the Blu-ray release of The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh. I don't see why they would do it, but you never know with Disney.
Old 10-26-11, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
I'm still amazed at how perfectly Jim Cummings has copied Sterling Holloway's Pooh; it's truly impressive voice acting on the part of Cummings.

That said, I hope Disney doesn't go back and re-record everything for the Blu-ray release of The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh. I don't see why they would do it, but you never know with Disney.
He is an incredibly talented voice over actor, Cummings goes way beyond simply immitating Stering Holloway, One of the many reasons he has been one of my favorite voice over artists for years.

i think they are simply doing these new vo tracks for the shorts though,to accomidate changes made to incorperate the stories as interstitals.
crossing my fingers they arent planing anything other than that.
Old 10-26-11, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Cummings does a very good job on the new Pooh movie. The same can't be said for some of the other voice actors in it. I was unhappy with every voice not done by Cummings in the new movie.