Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-11, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated classics 2011 Bluray plans

The Little Mermaid and Aladdin need to be released asap.
Old 01-02-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kthnxbai
The Little Mermaid and Aladdin need to be released asap.
Little mermaid is part of the Diamond collection, but since the launch of the diamond collection the schedule has changed somewhat, with there not being a spring 2010 diamond release and then Fantasia being dropped from Diamond status. Its hard to say what year LM might hit now, until disney announces.
but as of now the diamond collection is back on schedule with a spring release for bambi and fall release for Lion King.

Though I would like to note that El capitan is playing a newley restored HD presentation of LM at the theatre latter this month for a 2 week limited engagement so perhaps, we will see a bd release of LM sooner than it would have been anticipated before.

As for aladdin, no one is quite sure as it was dropped from the Platinum/Diamond Line.
But I agree it definately needs to come sooner rather than latter,still my favorite of the 90s disney films.
Old 01-03-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Swiss Family Robinson is being remade featuring Will Smith's family.
Your joking right?
Old 01-03-11, 01:54 PM

I would love to see The Jungle Book on blu-ray. Any chances that it will show up on blu!
Old 01-03-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by a/v Junkie
I would love to see The Jungle Book on blu-ray. Any chances that it will show up on blu!
I'm positive it will. I don't think it's been dropped from Diamond status like Fantasia was...
Old 01-03-11, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I'm positive it will. I don't think it's been dropped from Diamond status like Fantasia was...
Cool! Sounds great.

Now the real question. When will Disney release it?
Old 01-04-11, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Your joking right?
At one point, that was the rumor but that was when it was going to be a contemperary retelling now that they have ultimately decided to set it in the 18th century though the rumor of smiths involvement disapeard, there was also a rumor that Lindsey lohan would be involved before her latest ordeal started. Now its kind of up in the air whos in this.

in anycase this doesnt really pertain to disney animated classics comming to bluray in 2011
Old 01-04-11, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
WHY MUST 3D TAKE EVERYTHING OVER! THE MOVIE WASN'T SHOT IN 3D NOR WAS IT INTENDED FOR 3D!!!!

Making films that weren't in 3D in theaters on DVD/BD is POINTLESS, it's just like taking a widescreen film and making it full screen or colorizing a movie.

That being said, I wish they were just having a limited re-release of the movie in 2D, I would go see that, but I'm not wasting my money on 3D (since I'd have to pay an extra $2-$3 for nothing). I remember seeing the movie in the theater in the summer of 1994 and then again in the winter of 1995 at the dollar theater. Good times.
Making a movie in 3D isn't necessarily pointless. It's all in how it's converted. Lion King would be one that would be interesting to see in 3D. I read a review for Beauty and the Beast in 3D (as it got released overseas even though the US release got cancelled) and they said it was pretty amazing. I'm sure Lion King would be the same way. I trust Disney with their 3D conversion, unlike other studios.

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I do realize that the 2D version is included, however, I personally would rather not buy and own a disc that I will end up getting no milage out of (in this case, the 3D disc, since aside from my PS3, my setup doesn't have any 3D-ready equipment, nor am I interested in going in that direction in the future). I'd imagine that it would probably get the coupons that Disney puts out, like Artman said, but I'd still feel weird about buying a disc I'd never use.
This is the problem with this release. With A Christmas Carol the coupon was only good for the 3D version, which was highly expensive in the first place. There was no great deal to be had for it. At most, you could get the 3D version for the same price as the non 3D version, which was still high. More than likely, the coupon released for Lion King will be for the same thing. Though I'd be more willing to spend more money on Lion King than I was Christmas Carol.

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
[Toy Story 3] had to have some sort of gimmick to get people to come to see it. It was horrible.
Seriously? I wouldn't doubt that it will win the Best Animated Picture Oscar. It was the best of the three by far.
Old 01-05-11, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Making a movie in 3D isn't necessarily pointless. It's all in how it's converted. Lion King would be one that would be interesting to see in 3D. I read a review for Beauty and the Beast in 3D (as it got released overseas even though the US release got cancelled) and they said it was pretty amazing. I'm sure Lion King would be the same way. I trust Disney with their 3D conversion, unlike other studios.

This is the problem with this release. With A Christmas Carol the coupon was only good for the 3D version, which was highly expensive in the first place. There was no great deal to be had for it. At most, you could get the 3D version for the same price as the non 3D version, which was still high. More than likely, the coupon released for Lion King will be for the same thing. Though I'd be more willing to spend more money on Lion King than I was Christmas Carol.

Seriously? I wouldn't doubt that it will win the Best Animated Picture Oscar. It was the best of the three by far.

Wasnt canceled only delayed till this year, the 20th anniversary of the original release. Its currently penciled in for a april limited theatrical release ala the toy story & Toy story 2 3D releases done in October 2009.

Lion King 3D is also getting a limited theatrical release this year as well before the BD is released.
Old 01-20-11, 03:04 PM

Those great $10 Disney coupons through Disney Rewards may be a thing of the past. I just received an email with an offer to pre-order Tangled directly through Disney Rewards for $24.95. I can't imagine they'd presell it but then offer a discount coupon (through Disney Rewards) for other retailers closer to the release – they'd have a bunch of really ticked off customers if they did.

I hope I'm wrong. Those coupons were awesome.
Old 01-20-11, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
Those great $10 Disney coupons through Disney Rewards may be a thing of the past....
They are not. Both Bambi and Tangled will get them (Tangled will be the 3D edition, though).

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
... I can't imagine they'd presell it but then offer a discount coupon (through Disney Rewards) for other retailers closer to the release – they'd have a bunch of really ticked off customers if they did.
Sure they do. They did it with Santa Paws. They really know how to annoy their customers. Not only did the pre-ordering crowd not get to use the coupon but they also got the disc two or three weeks after release date and thereby missing out on the Santa Paws charm offer.
Old 01-20-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Holy crap! Look how great the blu-ray looks!!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Alice-...9/#Screenshots
Old 02-16-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

we can now add Fox and the hound double feature to this years disney animated classics releases.
according to Bluray.com the bambi insert has a ad indicating that Fox and the hound and Fox and the hound 2 are getting a double feature bluray release in sept this year!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5897
Old 02-16-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Ewwwwww.
Old 02-16-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news about Lady And The Tramp. I love Fox And The Hound, but really wish they wouldn't include the sequel. Still, that isn't enough to keep me from buying it, lol.
Old 02-16-11, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Fox and the hound and Fox and the hound 2 are getting a double feature bluray release in sept this year!
This really sucks. Fox and the Hound is one of my favorite Disney film that I got to have. The sequel however... (can't really write what I'm thinking)
Fantasia 2000 was ok but no direct-to-video should be forced to be packaged together. I loved that I could get Alice for $10, but this unwanted sequel now almost guarantees that we won't get it at that price for Fox.
Old 02-17-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't care if they includ eteh shitty DTV sequels as long as I get the original classic on Bu. Now bring on Hunchback, Pocahontas and Hercules
Old 02-17-11, 12:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hercules isn't even anamorphic on DVD - sheesh that comes across as sort of gay doesn't it?
Old 02-17-11, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Least they are starting to put out more I want to own.

And the wait for Brother Bear could be long.
Old 02-17-11, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Wow, that Fox and the Hound release is surprising, especially since it will be paired up with its sequel. I would have expected to see one of the bigger DTVs released on BD first, like the Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella or Bambi sequels.
Old 02-17-11, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I don't care if they includ eteh shitty DTV sequels as long as I get the original classic on Bu.

I lost my F&tH and have debated picking it up again for at least a year, so this is good news.
Old 02-17-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
we can now add Fox and the hound double feature to this years disney animated classics releases.
according to Bluray.com the bambi insert has a ad indicating that Fox and the hound and Fox and the hound 2 are getting a double feature bluray release in sept this year!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5897

First movie I distinctly remember watching in theaters.
Old 02-17-11, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I would love a "Rescuers Down Under" blu-ray - it has some of the best late-period Disney hand-drawn animation ever, and a good blu-ray of it would look fantastic.
Old 02-17-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Rescuers/Rescuers Down Under Double-Feature on Blu-ray would be nice.
Old 02-17-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Meh - the first Rescuers actually kinda sucks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.