Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Lolita and Barry Lyndon coming in 2011

I saw Lolita in HD on Turner Classics earlier this year and it looked great. Cannot wait for the blu-ray.
Old 08-25-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw Barry Lyndon on HD Net a couple of years ago. I was wondering what was taking so long. (Which I had TCM HD)

It's a shame Warners gives the Kubrick blu-rays the discount bin treatment. Not complaining about the low price but it seems they are some of their crown jewels and deserve better treatment. Some of the covers are horrendous.

At least Paths of Glory will be getting the proper respect from Criterion.
Old 08-25-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
It's a shame Warners gives the Kubrick blu-rays the discount bin treatment. Not complaining about the low price but it seems they are some of their crown jewels and deserve better treatment. Some of the covers are horrendous.
The only real option aside from the "discount" treatment is the gift set and/or Digibook treatment, and if they'd done that, half the thread would be bitching about waiting for it in a standard Blu case.

YOU CAN'T WIN WITH YOU GUYS
Old 08-25-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Better cover art and a booklet of some type would be nice.

Does 2001 belong in the $9 bin with Weekend at Bernies? It's arguably one of the greatest movies of all time. I actually kind of like the cover art but would prefer something more traditional.
Old 08-25-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CRM114
Better cover art and a booklet of some type would be nice.

Does 2001 belong in the $9 bin with Weekend at Bernies? It's arguably one of the greatest movies of all time. I actually kind of like the cover art but would prefer something more traditional.
Weekend at Bernie's isn't on Blu-Ray! And what's a $9 bin? I think you just shop at weird stores that stick their entire inventory into a single bin.
Old 02-14-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.u...us-in-may.html

Originally Posted by Home Cinema
A Clockwork Orange 40th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray ($34.99 SRP) is a two-disc release that includes new and old extras packaged in a 40-page Blu-ray Book with rare photos, production notes and more. Featuress are outlined below…

Disc 1:
Feature Film

- (New): Malcolm McDowell Looks Back: Malcolm McDowell reflects on his experience working with legendary director Stanley Kubrick on one of the seminal films of the 1970s
- (New) Turning like Clockwork: Considers the Film’s Ultra-violence and its Cultural Impact
- Commentary by Malcolm McDowell and historian Nick Redman
- Documentary Still Tickin’: The Return of Clockwork Orange
- Great Bolshy Yarblockos!: Making A Clockwork Orange
- Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2:
- Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures (Produced and directed by Jan Harlan, the brother of Christiane Kubrick, Stanley Kubrick's widow). Kubrick’s career comes into sharp focus in this compelling documentary narrated by Tom Cruise. Fascinating footage glimpses Kubrick in his early years, at work on film sets and at home, augmented by candid commentary from collaborators, colleagues and family
- O Lucky Malcolm! Documentary about the life and career of actor Malcolm McDowell produced and directed by Jan Harlan
And...

Originally Posted by Home Cinema
Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection on Blu-ray ($148.95 SRP) is a 9-film, 10-disc collection, which contains every film the director made since 1960. The collection features the film and bonus content from A Clockwork Orange - 40th Anniversary Edition, the Blu-ray debuts of Lolita and Barry Lyndon, as well as the feature films Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut. The Blu-ray collection will be elegantly boxed in new book-style premium packaging and will include a 40-page hard-cover book that explores the breadth of genres and themes in Kubrick’s work. The same group of films will be available on DVD in Stanley Kubrick: The Essential Collection ($74.92 SRP), which includes a 40-page soft-cover book.

The Blu-ray debuts of Lolita and Barry Lyndon in this 9-film collection have no listed extras. Spartacus and Dr. Strangelove will presumably be the discs already available from Universal and Sony respectively, while the rest of the titles are already available from Warner.
Old 02-14-11, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy shit i am in. In in in in in.
Old 02-14-11, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

holy shit...
Old 02-14-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We better get Barry Lyndon and Lolita as stand-alone releases at the same time, as was initially reported. I've already got most of Kubrick's films on Blu-ray and I don't want to double-dip.
Old 02-14-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a pity neither Lolita nor Barry Lyndon will include any extras. Now where's that Killing/Killer's Kiss announcement from Criterion...
Old 02-14-11, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a pity they couldn't have waited to use the new remaster of Clockwork Orange, just a few months more and they could have.
Old 02-14-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Its a pity they couldn't have waited to use the new remaster of Clockwork Orange, just a few months more and they could have.
They did.

The actual pity is that the included versions of every other already-released film are as already released.
Old 02-14-11, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
They did.

The actual pity is that the included versions of every other already-released film are as already released.
Pretty sure Clockwork Orange is as well. No where has it been claimed that the new restoration (due for 'premiere' at Cannes) will be the one used in the new Blu-ray release.

The existing transfer / encode was used with a couple of extra docos.
Old 02-14-11, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Art, from The Bits:

Old 02-14-11, 07:29 PM

Do want
Old 02-14-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Already have all the Kubricks on blu. No thanks. Just Lolita and Barry Lyndon for me.
Old 02-14-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks neat. However, Warner Bros. is kidding themselves if they plan on getting most Kubrick fans to re-buy titles that many loyal fans already have in High Definition. A Clockwork Orange is an exception to that rule with a full restoration and A Life in Pictures.

I'll wait for the announcements of individually available editions of Lolita and Barry Lyndon. If it is true that they won't have any extras that is certainly disappointing but it won't stop me from considering them as essential upgrades.

As for the included book -- that's a good exclusive extra for them to include. However, I already have The Stanley Kubrick Archives and Stanley Kubrick, Director: A Visual Analysis so I'm not going to view my inability to read it as a major loss.
Old 02-14-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shit. I already have all the Kubricks in release except for Spartacus. Waiting for a Criterion upgrade there. I'd really like to have that set, but I'll probably just upgrade my Clockwork Orange and buy Lolita & Barry separately.

Really happy to hear about A Life In Pictures. Hope it's an upgrade to HD.
Old 02-14-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Pretty sure Clockwork Orange is as well. No where has it been claimed that the new restoration (due for 'premiere' at Cannes) will be the one used in the new Blu-ray release.

The existing transfer / encode was used with a couple of extra docos.
Nah, it says right in there that they're using the new 40th Anniversary edition. It's been confirmed elsewhere that that's going to be the new transfer, I'm 99% sure of it.
Old 02-14-11, 08:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm assuming Spartacus is still going to be fucked up?
Old 02-14-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm assuming Spartacus is still going to be fucked up?
That's the safe bet, or else they would advertise the new transfer like ACO. What a wasted opportunity.
Old 02-14-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
Looks neat. However, Warner Bros. is kidding themselves if they plan on getting most Kubrick fans to re-buy titles that many loyal fans already have in High Definition. A Clockwork Orange is an exception to that rule with a full restoration and A Life in Pictures.

I'll wait for the announcements of individually available editions of Lolita and Barry Lyndon. If it is true that they won't have any extras that is certainly disappointing but it won't stop me from considering them as essential upgrades.

As for the included book -- that's a good exclusive extra for them to include. However, I already have The Stanley Kubrick Archives and Stanley Kubrick, Director: A Visual Analysis so I'm not going to view my inability to read it as a major loss.
Agree with this... I've been triple dipped (at least) to death already. Looks nice and all but I'll pass. What could possibly be in that book that I don't already know?

Just give me Barry Lyndon / Lolita... and fix Spartacus.
Old 02-14-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In for Lolita and Barry Lyndon, but I already have all the other discs. There will be hell to pay, or at least some netflixing to be done, if they don't release them separately because I do not have the cash to go re-buying all these movies just for two new discs.
Old 02-14-11, 08:49 PM

Why would it be fucked up? This set looks amazing, and will probably be (I hope) one of the best birthday presents in recent memory.
Old 02-14-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I'm in for individual releases of Lyndon and Lolita.

...and I guess a double dip on A Clockwork Orange. I pretty much have to, it's one of my favorite movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.