Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 10-30-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my 9th annual admitting I was WRONG...DVD have not died yet, to my surprise.

Not sure when DVD will 100% die, I have only bought 2 DVDs over the past 10 years or so...now, 4K is the only way I will go.
Old 10-30-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Target is always stocked with tons of DVDs. As long as places like that are stocking them then they’re gonna sell.
Moat folks are either fine with DVD or moved on to streaming.
Old 10-30-19, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Not sure when DVD will 100% die...
When physical media 100% dies.
Old 10-31-19, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,886 Posts

DVD will probably outlast blu-ray and UHD. It's more ubiquitous than either blu-ray or UHD, and backward compatible with both formats.

What I suspect we will see is a slow death for DVD/BR/UHD. We're already seeing blu-ray releases being scaled back with certain releases going DVD only. Blu-ray will still exist as a premium format for collectors and boutique labels like Shout/Scream, Arrow, and Criterion. UHD will be reserved mostly for new releases of big budget event films like superheroes, sci-fi, and action flicks.

Eventually there will be a big blockbuster movie that won't get a physical release and will only be available digitally. At which point, new releases will begin to transition away from physical media and become digital exclusives. Once the first domino falls, most likely Disney making something like Frozen 3 a Disney+ exclusive, it will probably take about two years for new releases to completely transition to digital (either sales or subscription streaming).

UHD will probably be the first casualty format, being the domain of new releases and select catalog titles. I'm not sure if the player base will be able to support the format as new releases transition to digital.

Blu-ray will continue to soldier on for catalog titles sold via boutique labels; we might even start to see some of the big budget digital exclusives start to get Shout/Criterion SEs a few years after they've been released digitally and made the rounds on cable. Collectors only. UHD might eventually take up the collectors torch, but I doubt it. Most UHD discs don't have any SE features, instead housing those on the included blu-ray disc.

DVD will become the new bargain bin filler. It will be, essentially, a disposable format that sells for cheap. At this point, all physical media will be dinosaurs. Blu-ray will be the choice for a dwindling number of film collectors, and DVD will be a junk format that sells crap for under $5. Effectively rentals you don't need to return for people without a decent internet connection.
Old 10-31-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
When physical media 100% dies.
.... or when hell freezes over.

Whichever comes first.
Old 10-31-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I will watch older movies on VHS before watching a new movie on DVD.
Old 11-03-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
DVD will probably outlast blu-ray and UHD. It's more ubiquitous than either blu-ray or UHD, and backward compatible with both formats.

What I suspect we will see is a slow death for DVD/BR/UHD. We're already seeing blu-ray releases being scaled back with certain releases going DVD only. Blu-ray will still exist as a premium format for collectors and boutique labels like Shout/Scream, Arrow, and Criterion. UHD will be reserved mostly for new releases of big budget event films like superheroes, sci-fi, and action flicks.

Eventually there will be a big blockbuster movie that won't get a physical release and will only be available digitally. At which point, new releases will begin to transition away from physical media and become digital exclusives. Once the first domino falls, most likely Disney making something like Frozen 3 a Disney+ exclusive, it will probably take about two years for new releases to completely transition to digital (either sales or subscription streaming).

UHD will probably be the first casualty format, being the domain of new releases and select catalog titles. I'm not sure if the player base will be able to support the format as new releases transition to digital.

Blu-ray will continue to soldier on for catalog titles sold via boutique labels; we might even start to see some of the big budget digital exclusives start to get Shout/Criterion SEs a few years after they've been released digitally and made the rounds on cable. Collectors only. UHD might eventually take up the collectors torch, but I doubt it. Most UHD discs don't have any SE features, instead housing those on the included blu-ray disc.

DVD will become the new bargain bin filler. It will be, essentially, a disposable format that sells for cheap. At this point, all physical media will be dinosaurs. Blu-ray will be the choice for a dwindling number of film collectors, and DVD will be a junk format that sells crap for under $5. Effectively rentals you don't need to return for people without a decent internet connection.
Studios plan to outsource the remaining physical media market to niche labels like Shout Factory and Kino Lorber.

Old 11-04-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Studios plan to outsource the remaining physical media market to niche labels like Shout Factory and Kino Lorber.
... and Mill Creek for all the remaining dross
Old 11-06-19, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 11-07-19, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

DVD sales continue to drop.
Old 11-18-19, 12:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some more data:

- Peak DVD in the US was 2005 with $16.3 billion of revenue, in 2018 it was down to $2.2 billion.
- DVD sales declined more than 86% in the last 13 years.
- Peak Blu-ray was 2013 with $2.37 billion of revenue, in 2018 it was down to $1.8 billion.

The decade is almost up. It will be interesting to see what the next 10 years bring.

Last edited by WeeBey; 11-18-19 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-18-19, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

1983?
Old 11-18-19, 10:19 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
1983?
and the scale in the graph is in billions, so 15,000 would be 15 Trillion dollars of business, about the same as the entire GDP of the US.
Old 11-18-19, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD
and the scale in the graph is in billions, so 15,000 would be 15 Trillion dollars of business, about the same as the entire GDP of the US.
Hmm, 1983 should be 1996 but maybe the comma in the figures is European. Probably just sloppy.
Old 11-18-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Looking at that graph you can really see where the economy tanked between 2007 and 2009. After that it was a fairly gradual reduction year after year.

This time-frame was also the introduction of Blu-ray (post early-adopter phase), streaming and cheap HDTVs all of which probably contributed to consumers putting the pause on their standard-def DVD buying habits.
Old 11-18-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

- Peak DVD in the US was 2005 with $16.3 billion of revenue, in 2018 it was down to $2.2 billion.
- DVD sales declined more than 86% in the last 13 years.
- Peak Blu-ray was 2013 with $2.37 billion of revenue, in 2018 it was down to $1.8 billion.
It's actually surprising that DVD declined as slowly as it did, given all the forces that came against it after it peaked. Most people with an opinion back then assumed DVD would have been long gone by now.

Blu-ray itself I'm sure did not live up to sales projections. $2.37B peak is a small fraction of DVD's peak and still hasn't surpassed DVD in sales. Who could have predicted that?
Old 11-18-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Blu-ray itself I'm sure did not live up to sales projections. $2.37B peak is a small fraction of DVD's peak and still hasn't surpassed DVD in sales. Who could have predicted that?

A few of us actually predicted that - which wasn't really that hard to do. Of course, you're probably just making a joke since you've seen (and responded to) the posts in this threading predicting this.
Old 11-18-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Disney + will cause Disney physical media sales to fall like a rock.
Old 11-19-19, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wouldn't necessarily say that. There are still plenty of people that want physical copies of the Marvel and Star Wars movies. I'm more curious about the animated movies though, because I could see those taking a hit.
Old 11-20-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral

A few of us actually predicted that - which wasn't really that hard to do. Of course, you're probably just making a joke since you've seen (and responded to) the posts in this threading predicting this.
Yes, would have been easy to predict back in 2010 or 2011 when this thread started, as Blu-ray's market share was growing at an anemic rate. I was referring to predictions back in 2008, after the format war ended. There was a lot of optimism back then. Anyway, nice prediction.
Old 11-21-19, 02:47 AM

I wonder what peak UHD Blu-ray will look like and when we can expect it.
Old 11-21-19, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I was just thinking I'm not going to buy the Star Wars movies in Ultra 4K now. It's also going to greatly curb my digital purchases on Vudu, which may be why Walmart is shopping it around, looking to sell.

If Warners follows suit with a bunch of UHD versions on HBO Max, I may just retire from physical media and use that $$$ for these streaming services.

We all talked about Disney + being the "Netflix killer", but it's going to kill physical media first.
Old 11-21-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WeeBey
I wonder what peak UHD Blu-ray will look like and when we can expect it.
I wonder as well. Probably peak at well under $1 billion and within the next 2-3 years is my guess. I thought it would overtake Blu-ray within 10 years (which I said over 3 years ago), as Blu-ray continues to decline, but I'm not so optimistic now. A lot of content is coming out as far as catalogs are concerned, which is a good sign. But new release market share isn't increasing as much as I thought it would.
Old 11-21-19, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was just thinking I'm not going to buy the Star Wars movies in Ultra 4K now. It's also going to greatly curb my digital purchases on Vudu, which may be why Walmart is shopping it around, looking to sell.

If Warners follows suit with a bunch of UHD versions on HBO Max, I may just retire from physical media and use that $$$ for these streaming services.

We all talked about Disney + being the "Netflix killer", but it's going to kill physical media first.
Certainly not going to help. Physical media will always be around for the collectors and video/audiophiles, or just people who don't want to depend on movies being on servers or having an internet connection.

Furthermore, assuming Disney waits a few months for their physical titles to sell before putting them on their streaming service, that will ensure more sales to people who don't want to wait. I don't think Disney wants to undermine physical sales any more than necessary either, as their movies are easily the best sellers over the other studios.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.