Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 04-15-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but Samsung is going to stop making Blu-ray and 4K players. https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-to...s-report-says/
Old 04-15-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but Samsung is going to stop making Blu-ray and 4K players. https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-to...s-report-says/
Meathead started a thread about that.
Old 04-15-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I should have searched further than the first page....
Old 05-15-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 05-16-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing for those weeks, Bumblebee and Glass sold well?
Old 05-20-19, 03:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Alien and all the Captain America movies releasing on UHD on the week of the 27th didn't seem to make much of a difference to overall sales. Therefore, I assume Glass and Bumblebee on regular ol' Blu-ray and DVD made the difference for the up weeks.

Overall, a terrible month. The year isn't looking too hot for overall disc sales.

Last edited by WeeBey; 05-20-19 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-23-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

So if you decide to quit buying blu-rays and pass on 4K discs you are missing out on what the movie actually is intended to look as shown in the theaters?
Old 05-25-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
So if you decide to quit buying blu-rays and pass on 4K discs you are missing out on what the movie actually is intended to look as shown in the theaters?
This is the rainbow-chasing mentality many of us suffer from. No matter what cutting-edge 4K UHD system we have in our homes, the professional-grade theatrical experience will always be several steps ahead of consumer-grade tech. The theatrical DCP (Digital Cinema Package) dishes-out 250mbps with 12-bit. Don't get me wrong 4K looks amazing but then again so did Blu-ray and DVD in their respective eras.

I can understand why many people have stopped themselves and decided that DVD or Blu-ray is good enough. It's highly subjective but how much added-value and enjoyment do you really get from 4K? Yet you still have the knowledge that you don't have the "perfect" version. In five years you upgrade to 8K and it's still not the the best... repeat...repeat...

Last edited by orangerunner; 05-25-19 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-25-19, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Agree and the cycle never ends

I thought maybe it ends at 4K since streaming has taken over
Old 05-26-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
This is the rainbow-chasing mentality many of us suffer from. No matter what cutting-edge 4K UHD system we have in our homes, the professional-grade theatrical experience will always be several steps ahead of consumer-grade tech. The theatrical DCP (Digital Cinema Package) dishes-out 250mbps with 12-bit. Don't get me wrong 4K looks amazing but then again so did Blu-ray and DVD in their respective eras.

I can understand why many people have stopped themselves and decided that DVD or Blu-ray is good enough. It's highly subjective but how much added-value and enjoyment do you really get from 4K? Yet you still have the knowledge that you don't have the "perfect" version. In five years you upgrade to 8K and it's still not the the best... repeat...repeat...
For me, no joke, it's my declining eyesight. I don't notice the details I once did.
Old 05-26-19, 09:38 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I really can't notice the resolution bump with 4K, it's the increased color depth that makes the upgrade worth it for me.
Old 05-28-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
This rainbow chasing mentality will continue on forever and ever. Even when holodecks are commonplace in the future.

Old 06-04-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 06-05-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Continues to sink like a stone... tied to an anchor.

13 years after its release and it's still rare for BD revenue to top DVD - even though BD revenue also includes UHD and both BD/UHD sell at higher price points.
Old 06-05-19, 11:47 PM

How to Train Your Dragon came out on UHD and Blu-ray on the 21st. I thought it would at least make the decline smaller that week but, no, almost like it left no mark. The first week of June has the Batman movies on UHD. It will be interesting to see how they do. Regardless, we will see the green arrow again on the week of June 11 with Captain Marvel.

Just as an aside, I was looking at the report and the box office total for the top releases on the week ended May 25 was $318.85M, last year it was $164.45M. Despite this, total revenue was down nearly 18% year over year on disc.

Last edited by WeeBey; 06-06-19 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Is there a chart that tracks digital sales? I'd love to see the numbers in comparison to these.
Old 06-06-19, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Is there a chart that tracks digital sales? I'd love to see the numbers in comparison to these.
It would be too difficult to track because of the myriad of services. We only have reports that come out a few times a year.

This report covering 2018 was released about two months ago:

Global physical sales, which includes DVD, Blu-ray, and UltraHD Blu-ray, came in at $13.1 billion in 2018, according to the THEME report, which acquired the data from IHS Markit and the Digital Entertainment Group. The figure is down 48% since 2014, when sales were $25.2 billion.

Despite the downward trend in physical media sales, global home entertainment consumer spending reached $55.7 billion, up 16% compared to $48.1 billion in 2017 and up 36% from $40.9 billion in 2014.

The growth in global home entertainment sales was due to the continuous growth of streaming service subscriptions, which surpassed cable subscriptions for the first time in 2018. While cable subscriptions declined by 2% in 2018 to 556 million, subscriptions to services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime went up by 27% to 613.3 million.

Cable, however, remained the video platform with the highest revenue in 2018 at $118 billion, up by $6.2 billion from 2017 despite the drop in number of subscriptions. Streaming services are actually ranked third in terms of revenue at almost $40 billion, as satellite was in close second at nearly $100 billion.
Old 06-11-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Continues to sink like a stone... tied to an anchor.

13 years after its release and it's still rare for BD revenue to top DVD - even though BD revenue also includes UHD and both BD/UHD sell at higher price points.
It appears a segment of the market was never going to buy into Blu-ray for any reason. I don't think the transition from SD to HD displays properly educated the masses enough to sell the benefits.
Old 06-11-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It appears a segment of the market was never going to buy into Blu-ray for any reason. I don't think the transition from SD to HD displays properly educated the masses enough to sell the benefits.
https://www.statista.com/chart/15894...united-states/
Physical movie sales peaked in 2004, but the decline started in earnest in 2009. Blu-ray never had a chance to become the majority format in the face of DVD's long tail and rapidly declining interest in physical media.

This chart has a detailed breakdown of the digital and physical revenues:
https://www.statista.com/chart/15894...united-states/
Digital sell-through is a little over half of physical (DVD/Blu-ray). I haven't found historical numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if digital sell-through is declining along with physical sell-through, the way the music industry has gone. Streaming subscription revenue is still growing and eating up everything else.
Old 06-12-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I think you are right. Digital sell-through is basically dying in the music industry and movies will soon follow, as streaming services keep ballooning.
Old 06-13-19, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Even if the unwashed masses were highly educated on the benefits of hd bluray, would it have made much of a difference for bluray?

Is there a possibility that the masses simply didn't give a damn to begin with all along?
Old 06-13-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Even if the unwashed masses were highly educated on the benefits of hd bluray, would it have made much of a difference for bluray?

Is there a possibility that the masses simply didn't give a damn to begin with all along?
For the most part, yes.

It's almost like what happened in the audio world. We've gotten to a point a while back where people are happy with the sound quality of MP3 that CD and Hi-Res audio is overkill.
A good chunk of people consider DVD-quality video good enough. Most of those who want better quality are more than happy with the video from their streaming services - especially when convenience is also factored into the equation.
Old 06-13-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy

I'm not an expert on calibration but I often have a difficult time discerning image quality. What looks really good on my Toshiba 32" 720p HDTV looks pixelated on my Dynex 46" 1080p HDTV. What looks like crap on the 46" Dynex HDTV looks better on my low-budget 480p RCA projector on a 100" screen from 10 feet away. The 720p feed from my local cable provider often looks sharper than many Blu-rays I own.

Much of this is attempting to compare native high-def images such as the local news or reality shows to a feature film transferred from a film source.

The marketing for Blu-ray tried to mathematically explain the difference (6X time the quality of DVD!) but ultimately there are too many combinations and variables concerning screen size, quality of the HDTV, connections, viewing distance from the screen etc to really bring the benefits of Blu-ray into a clear focus for average Joe-SixPack.

High-def was desirable because the screens were sleek and thin.
Old 06-13-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

For the first 3 monhs of this year, disc sales were down 22% according to the DEG Report. However the box office power of the releases itself was down 20%, so that more than anything is probably behind the dismal Blu-ray sales so far this year.
Old 06-13-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

My interest has been more in older movies than newer ones for a while anyways. There still are good new movies being made though, but I've given up on theaters- the ones in my area are awful.

And I'll say it again- people would buy more Blu-Rays if they stopped putting out regular DVDs, or at least just included them in the same package with no other option. It's really time to put DVD out to pasture- they did it with VHS already.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.