Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I recall the early days of the "Ma & Pa" video stores before the corporate giants took over and how quaint their business model was at the time. A hit movie like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" might have three copies available at the local store. You either had to reserve the title for which there was usually a two-week waiting list or if the store didn't take reservations, you just had to time it right that someone was returning the title you wanted.

When you rented a hit title within the first couple of weeks of release, that was bragging rights among your friends. It was something you really had to work hard at or luck-out on.

I guess DVDs have real sense of value to me because I remember those days so well. Renting a new release was difficult and unless you were willing to plunk down $100 (equivalent to five months of allowance at $5/week), owning a pre-recorded tape was completely out-of-the-question.

Now everything is plentiful and just seen as disposable pieces of amusement.
The home video market had such a different mentality in the early days of Beta and VHS, I remember everything you described. Hollywood had such a completely different approach to releasing movies. They weren't the disposable commodities they've become today.
Old 04-06-19, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The home video market had such a different mentality in the early days of Beta and VHS, I remember everything you described. Hollywood had such a completely different approach to releasing movies. They weren't the disposable commodities they've become today.
This sounds very much like "supply and demand" at work. (At least a psychological perception of it).

The only time I remember tv shows and movies ever being "high valued" subjectively to me, was before my family purchased a vhs machine.

When my family purchased a vhs machine in the early-mid 1980s, I remember the subjective "value" changed somewhat. For tv shows and movies on non-premium cable channels, it felt like they no longer had a subjective "high value" to me. The one thing which still had a "high value" subjectively, were then-current or recent movies which were not on played any non-premium cable channels. Basically anything which was only available as vhs tape rentals still had a high subjective value to me.

This completely changed when my family purchased a second vhs machine. Excluding macrovison encoded vhs movies, it was easy to dub stuff from tape to tape (such as vhs movie rentals). Then completely overnight, most movies didn't have a "high value" subjectively to me anymore.

IIRC prerecorded VHS movies became a disposable commodity sometime in the late 1980s, when the local rental outlets were selling former rental copies of recent movies for $10 a pop or less. Also record stores and some department stores, were carrying new copies of older vhs movies for $20 a pop or less.

The final "knockout blow" for movies becoming completely devalued, was when dvd became ubiquitous and the css encryption being completely cracked in 1999.
Old 04-06-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
My digital MP3s beg to differ. The ones I got from amazon and iTunes are all safely tucked away on a thumb-drive, and many are burned to disc. And (unless I get disc rot, or the drives go bad), I'll still have the digital purchases is amazon or apple to out of business - which is actually far less likely than my drive going bad.
Your purchases are not safe on Amazon's servers.

I, too, dl everything I obtain via Amazon (notice I did not say "purchase" as I use those free digital credits for slow shipping to "purchase" digital from Amazon). I've had at least 2 titles become unavailable. Both were on backup drives that went bad. When I went to Amazon to dl replacement copies I discovered the loss, contacted support, they said "sorry... no longer available" and refunded my purchase cost plus a couple of $$ credit for my trouble.

In spite of preaching to others "Make multiple backups as you can't trust any media" I failed to do so myself for those files thinking I could just dl them again from Amazon should the media fail. That has been remedied following that incident.
Old 04-06-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Your purchases are not safe on Amazon's servers.

I, too, dl everything I obtain via Amazon (notice I did not say "purchase" as I use those free digital credits for slow shipping to "purchase" digital from Amazon). I've had at least 2 titles become unavailable. Both were on backup drives that went bad. When I went to Amazon to dl replacement copies I discovered the loss, contacted support, they said "sorry... no longer available" and refunded my purchase cost plus a couple of $$ credit for my trouble.

In spite of preaching to others "Make multiple backups as you can't trust any media" I failed to do so myself for those files thinking I could just dl them again from Amazon should the media fail. That has been remedied following that incident.
They're safe as fuck after I've downloaded them on to my hard-drive, copied onto a separate thumb-drive, imported on my iPod and also burned onto a disc.

Old 04-11-19, 02:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

DVD+BD Market in 2007: $15.9 billion (includes rental market, I believe)
DVD+BD Market in 2018: $4.03 billion (+$1.785 billion for rental market)

The decline is accelerating. In 2017 the decline was 14.10%, in 2018 it was 14.56%. In the best case scenario, by 2025 sales will be less than $2 billion. Less than $1 billion is possible, though, if the decline doesn't slow down. The physical home video market peaked in 2004 at $24.9 billion (includes rental market). (FYI: rentals declining faster than sales, down 15.59% in 2018.)

For context: CD sales peaked in 2000 and fell below $1 billion for the first time in 2018. That year sales were $698 million (vs. $1.057 billion in 2017).

Last edited by WeeBey; 04-11-19 at 02:41 AM.
Old 04-11-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 04-11-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch
Old 04-12-19, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is sad to look at. But even without streaming services, people just can't continue to buy the way they did even 5 years ago. People have large collections. They have most of the catalog titles they want. In the early days we were so hungry for titles we would buy anything. I don't even stream and still only buy a couple a month now compared to the 5 or more a week I used to. I just DVD Netflix most of them.

On a side note to plug physical media; I have been binging Castle. I don't own the later seasons so I was just going to jump into the 21st century and watch them on Amazon Prime. The seasons were double what I could buy the DVD sets for brand new. So for the first time in a while I actually bought some DVD's
Old 04-12-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Ooof those numbers. My wife is selling antiques on the side, so we go to a lot of yard sales, flea markets etc. Seems like each person/vendor is selling hundreds of DVD's and Blu's. I would be cleaning up if I still got physical media. But its interesting to see just how quickly the average person is dumping their collections.
Old 04-12-19, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

You can barely give them away at this point.
Old 04-12-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, if someone like me is down to buying only one title every 2 or 3 months, then you know shit's bad!
Old 04-12-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Not surprising in the least. We all saw this coming - or at least most of us.

The industry will try to spin any positive gain they can, but physical media will continue to decline. UHD-BD won't save it, nor will any other future physical format.

I'm just looking forward to seeing more BDs hit the bargain bin. I've recently passed on a few BDs because I couldn't bring myself to spend $6.99 on them. Gotta be $4.99 or under - and even then it has to be something I really love and has a lot of replay value.
Old 04-12-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Yeah, I've topped out too. There's but a handful of discs I'm looking for, and I rarely ever find them in the used DVD stores. I should just buy them on eBay and be done with it.

Sometimes I read blogs like CineSavant for ideas of DVDs to add to my list just so I'm more likely to find something (like when I found When Worlds Collide at Disc Replay last weekend just after reading about it somewhere).

But the streaming is really where it's at. Even my wife will use streaming to watch something we have on our shelf just because it's so easy.
Old 04-13-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The industry wants physical media killed off as soon as possible. Once the big music labels hit upon streaming services as a viable business model, they quickly moved to deemphasize CD and gut its retail presence. The same thing is now happening for movies in Hollywood.

A digital future is coming where it will be almost impossible to "own" a movie or album like we are used to as DVD consumers.
Old 04-13-19, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Our collections will seem so quaint someday....like an old man with a room full of 78 records.
Old 04-14-19, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Will"? They already do feel quaint, and have for a while now! I get mocked whenever someone comes over, and my collections tidy and doesn't take up that much space.
Old 04-14-19, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by WeeBey
DVD+BD Market in 2007: $15.9 billion (includes rental market, I believe)
DVD+BD Market in 2018: $4.03 billion (+$1.785 billion for rental market)

The decline is accelerating. In 2017 the decline was 14.10%, in 2018 it was 14.56%. In the best case scenario, by 2025 sales will be less than $2 billion. Less than $1 billion is possible, though, if the decline doesn't slow down. The physical home video market peaked in 2004 at $24.9 billion (includes rental market). (FYI: rentals declining faster than sales, down 15.59% in 2018.)

For context: CD sales peaked in 2000 and fell below $1 billion for the first time in 2018. That year sales were $698 million (vs. $1.057 billion in 2017).
Coincidentally, we recently received worldwide numbers.

Global market for physical media in 2014: $25.9 billion
Global market for physical media in 2018: $13.1 billion

Just about cut in half in five years. Globally, the physical media market is declining by 13-19% per year.

As for global digital spending:

$15.7 billion (2014)
$42.6 billion (2018)

170% growth.

Total video entertainment market:

$40.9 billion (2014)
$55.7 billion (2018)

Growth driven by subscription streaming.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1554952970

EDIT: Just found this chart and found it interesting.

USA went down from $9.7B in 2015 to about $5.8B in 2018. Also, look at how small the physical media market is after Japan. And these are the top markets!

Last edited by WeeBey; 04-14-19 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-14-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you adjust those figures for population, they wouldn't be much lower than the US, and Japan would be the same as US, maybe even a little higher.
Old 04-14-19, 09:37 AM

It’s the absolute numbers that are interesting to me. In 2015, Canada only generated $600M for the industry in physical media. That was being split between 6 studios (more really). It’s even lower today. In Canada, physical media revenue is a rounding error for these companies but it was their 7th largest market.
Old 04-14-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

For what it's worth, the decline is primarily oriented around DVD. Blu-ray (combined with Ultra HD Blu-ray since it launched) has been more or less flat in the U.S. since at least 2011.

Swiping hariseldon's numbers from another forum:

2011 2.0B
2012 2.1B
2013 2.25B
2014 2.1B
2015 and 2016 2.0B
2017 and 2018 1.9B
Old 04-14-19, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, if someone like me is down to buying only one title every 2 or 3 months, then you know shit's bad!
At this point, I'm only buying TV on DVD that is unavailable anywhere else (like Early Edition complete series). I just don't see a point when I can stream it.
Old 04-14-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

In line with people bailing on physical media (DVD, BD and UHD-BD), the "All Digital" XBOX One S we knew was coming was leaked:

https://www.slashgear.com/xbox-one-s...sole-14573206/
Old 04-14-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Our collections will seem so quaint someday....like an old man with a room full of 78 records.
78RPM was abandoned over 60 years ago yet people never stopped being able to play them. As long as there is a need for 5 inch disc drives players will be available. Only when the 5 inch disc is completely abandoned for all it's multiple uses will drives/players become scarce.

Last edited by rw2516; 04-14-19 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
For what it's worth, the decline is primarily oriented around DVD. Blu-ray (combined with Ultra HD Blu-ray since it launched) has been more or less flat in the U.S. since at least 2011.

Hari Seldon, eh? Wonder why he didn't also have the numbers for the next 5 years...

Anyways, we have to face facts that we're going to be "those" people. The people that collect vinyl, laserdisc, and now DVD/Blu/UHD. Heck, even CDs are becoming a niche collectible.

One thing we can hope for is better and better upscaling players for all the stuff that never made it past DVD to hi def formats. Some of these DVDs hold up better than others, and we're going to need something to be able to watch them or it will be no better than watching on VHS (yeah, I know there's people who collect that too).
Old 04-15-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

My gut feel of the market is that BD likely will see revenue declines over the course of 2019. Retail support is beginning to collapse at notable chains and Disney's streaming service will become a real inflection point for certain physical media consumers.

The Blu-ray market isn't going to collapse overnight. We should have 2 to 3 decent years left, as much to prop up more expensive UHD sales than anything else.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.