Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Gizmo
You could spend the time (a lot of time...) and rip them all to a server and simply stream them. Might not be doable for 4k and such, but I've done it for all my DVDs and TV on DVD. Its nice to watch them anywhere with an internet connection as quality is already meh on DVDs. Space isn't really an issue for DVDs. Blu-rays I can get around 4-5GB and they look pretty good to me. I don't care about audio so that might be a concern.
Oh, I know, though I'd have to buy a ton of new hardware (my PC and hard-drives are way outdated and small/slow). But I couldn't even get through uploading all my CDs (going alphabetically, I stopped at "E"), just not enough time! I can't even keep my ipod up to date. I can't imagine the time/patience I'd need to do that with my blu-rays.
Old 11-06-18, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 11-07-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The vanishing retail support for media is starting to impact even Blu-ray's numbers.
Old 11-07-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

And the amount of time I spend at said retailers. I haven't been to Best Buy in ages.
Old 11-08-18, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The vanishing retail support for media is starting to impact even Blu-ray's numbers.
I seriously doubt retail availability has much impact on Blu-ray sales. Blu-ray is far from a casual interest, given the options available today. Those who are in, are all in.
Those with an interest will seek them out and buy them where they can.
Old 11-08-18, 03:47 PM

I’ve been getting a LOT more in the mail lately (mostly 3D imports that studios refuse to release here) but still prefer going to the stores when I can. No waiting for them to get here!
Old 11-09-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rw2516
I seriously doubt retail availability has much impact on Blu-ray sales. Blu-ray is far from a casual interest, given the options available today. Those who are in, are all in.
Those with an interest will seek them out and buy them where they can.
No retail support absolutely kills impulse and casual purchases, even by big Blu-ray spenders. Out of sight, out of mind.

I saw the same thing happen to CD over the past decade as retail support dwindled for that format.
Old 11-09-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No retail support absolutely kills impulse and casual purchases, even by big Blu-ray spenders. Out of sight, out of mind.

I saw the same thing happen to CD over the past decade as retail support dwindled for that format.
I agree that once titles leave the retail landscape they will be mostly forgotten.

The internet is great source if you have a specific title in mind and you can search it out to the nth degree but I find that so many titles are purchased when you aren't looking for a particular title.

I also find the speed of looking through titles is much more efficient in a store than browsing through the internet. With titles placed with the spines facing out, your eyes can scroll across a thousand different titles in about five minutes or so. How many titles can you really scroll though in the same five minutes on a website?
Old 11-10-18, 12:11 AM

Just read that Vinegar Syndrome will be stopping DVD-only releases, but will still include them with their Blu-Rays.
Old 11-10-18, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Everything in that article seemed accurate to me, as it just states that streaming has reduced the demand for physical media in both the home video and music industry. What was misinformation? Or is it just more of your bullshit because you don't care for streaming yourself?
Our friend here Alan Smithee is the absolute best source of entertainment on here.

Alan Smithee is even MORE entertaining, than watching any actual show/movie on dvd/bluray/4Kbluray disc or streaming/vod.

(This is the primary reason I still frequent this forum).
Old 11-12-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I got an ad in the mail from Best Buy that mostly promotes toys as well- very strange. Several Best Buys here are right next to (former) Toys R Us stores.

Incidentally, a store in the UK has said they're going to STOP selling DVD players, but will keep selling Blu-Ray players so no big loss:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...D-players.html (typical misinformation in this article including how streaming has made any type of physical media player obsolete)
I'm not a fan of streaming but I have to disagree with your assessment of that article. It essentially states that streaming has impacted sales.

The author has somewhat erroneously stated:
Demand for DVD players plummeted by 40 per cent and condemned the archaic form of entertainment to the history books...
while in the prior paragraph said:
The high-street outlet will continue to sell Blue-ray players - the DVD's successor - which can still be used to play regular DVDs.
He then went on to state:
However, the reign atop the home entertainment world was abruptly ended when Blu-rays emerged at the end of the '00s.
Which is also inaccurate as BR media sales only rarely equal those of DVD.

His main source for the conclusion above seems to be *one* upscale retailer who has dropped DVD players out of simple economics:
Gill Hind, director of TV at Enders Analysis, told the BBC that the profit margins for DVD player sales is now too small to make it worthwhile for the upmarket retailer.
That retailer will continue to sell BR players as there's still profit to be made. Plus a BR player will play DVDs (something many people just don't "get").

And then brings it home with this:
Matt King, category director for technology and media research at Mintel, told The Guardian that streaming killed the DVD.

He said: 'Rising subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and other streaming services mean that people have instant access to a huge range of content without worrying about delivery times for DVDs or storage space.

'There is still demand for physical media and there will be for some time, but it will focus on the Blu-ray market, as DVDs are widely seen as outdated.'
What I get from that article is simply that the majority of people would rather stream than:

1. Rent a DVD from Redbox or any rental store still in business.
2. Listen to the radio
3. Own shelves full of media they'll only watch or listen to a few times at best.

I fully understand those reasons. Most of people I know have never liked the trek to the rental store, dislike all the ads on over-the-air TV and radio, and have no desire to own a library of discs. At best they'll own a few favorites and are quite content to have them as digital copies. They like the streaming model as it's easy, fairly inexpensive, has tons of content (never mind that it's a relatively shallow catalog - they don't care as many don't want to listen to or watch "old" music or movies), and mostly reliable enough.

BR sales, both players and media, are still relatively healthy considering the market. CD/Record sales have somewhat rebounded (I feel this is because people finally discovered how crappy MP3's really sound but it could be simple nostalgia).
Old 11-12-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

John Lewis will not stock DVD players but will continue to sell Blu-ray players

Didn't know he sold DVD players.
All good though, as blu-ray players and Playstations still play DVDs just fine.
Old 11-20-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

None of my local stores put out new titles today except Best Buy had Kin out. This happen to anyone else?
Old 12-11-18, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last edited by BuckNaked2k; 12-11-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-12-18, 12:59 AM

Each recent Black Friday has been my weakest one yet. I expect there'll be one where I buy absolutely nothing.
Old 01-16-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 01-17-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

What were the releases on the last 2 weeks of December that got the percentage up?
Old 01-17-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Venom and Predator?
Old 01-17-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
What were the releases on the last 2 weeks of December that got the percentage up?
The week ending December 22nd included Venom, The Predator, The House with a Clock in Its Walls, and A Simple Favor.

There weren't any new releases the following week (the week of Christmas), unless you count White Boy Rick. Venom was still the top title.

Also, three weeks up in a row:

Old 01-17-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will this be the year Blu-ray takes the sales lead over DVD? bruceames thinks so. I'm still not convinced.
Old 01-17-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Will this be the year Blu-ray takes the sales lead over DVD? bruceames thinks so. I'm still not convinced.
I don’t think it will happen with any kind of consistency, just the weeks when you have a major sci-fi release. Seems like it has been stuck at just under 50% for years now, and I don’t see what would change that in the next year.
Old 01-17-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don’t see what would change that in the next year.
I don't know when it'll happen, but DVD is declining at a significantly higher rate than Blu-ray, so it'll overtake DVD at some point for sure.
Old 01-17-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It appears the typical DVD consumer is abandoning physical media for streaming. Blu-ray owners are hanging in there with all the hardware investments they've already made in their systems.
Old 01-18-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't know when it'll happen, but DVD is declining at a significantly higher rate than Blu-ray, so it'll overtake DVD at some point for sure.
By the time that happens, the overall physical media sales will have shrunk considerably - making BDs win bittersweet.
Old 01-18-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Better to win while both are climbing than to win simply because your drop is slower than the other guy's

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.