Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 06-03-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

It's true that a lot of marketing is designed to make you feel unworthy with what you already have so you'll run out and buy the next thing. Apple is notorious for this with their phones. Thousands of people will line-up for the new iPhone because it comes in a new color or it has some finger-print password feature.

Selling fear that you'll somehow be left behind in the tech world is a powerful marketing tool.

In most cases the quality of Blu-ray is better than the DVD, especially on the larger TVs but exactly how much that extra quality is "worth" to someone is subjective.

Sometimes with tech, you have to stop, step back and ask yourself "How much is this really worth to me?". It's very easy to get caught-up in the hype of the industry telling you to stay ahead and stay relevant.
Old 06-03-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
It's true that a lot of marketing is designed to make you feel unworthy with what you already have so you'll run out and buy the next thing. Apple is notorious for this with their phones. Thousands of people will line-up for the new iPhone because it comes in a new color or it has some finger-print password feature.

Selling fear that you'll somehow be left behind in the tech world is a powerful marketing tool.

Sometimes with tech, you have to stop, step back and ask yourself "How much is this really worth to me?". It's very easy to get caught-up in the hype of the industry telling you to stay ahead and stay relevant.
(On a tangential aside).

The worst for me was back in the 1990s, when I use to upgrade computers somewhat frequently.

What was really jarring at the time, was coming to the realization that microsoft windows was a huge resource hog on then-current computers. After getting a new computer, one time on a whim I installed linux on an older machine and noticed it wasn't a resource hog running slow like ms windows. Even running a statically linked netscape linux binary wasn't a slow hog.

After that, I didn't bother upgrading my computers as often anymore. I only got a new machine once the hard drive died.
Old 06-03-17, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In most cases the quality of Blu-ray is better than the DVD, especially on the larger TVs but exactly how much that extra quality is "worth" to someone is subjective.

The thing that bugs me is that it's not so much the industry but the people who bought into this trying to make everybody else feel that Blu-ray is somehow inferior to what they've decided to pay three times as much for… it's kind of like the old saying, "...nobody likes to drink alone," or the way I see it, "...misery likes company." I'm speaking only from my own experience and I see a difference greater between DVD and Blu-ray than Blu-ray and UHD. Beyond image and sound, blu-ray offers more functionality than a DVD. In some cases,UHD merely offers an incremental improvement over Blu-ray at best.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-03-17 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I'm amazed how gullible people can be. Other than inflated cost and black keepcases, most of these releases are no different in image and sound quality than their Blu-ray counterparts. That's just the truth. And those discs that have improved image and sound are really only apparent in ideal viewing and listening environments...I don't know about you, but I have no need to plant my nose 2 feet away from my flat screen. For the most part, this is but a scam to sell the same stuff yet once again to an unsuspecting public. If you wanna buy into UHD go right ahead but don't try to tell people that DVDs are obsolete when they still represent over 60% of packaged media sales. This is all so silly.

The automobile industry has done it for decades. Do we really need a new design change every year? No. Sometimes true features or safety devices are added but for the most part it's the same car with a new grill and new tail lights. Once the market gets saturated the only thing a manufacturer can do is try and replace.

I enjoy new tech but don't get caught up in it, at least not any more. I buy a new phone when mine is crapping out. I buy a new computer when I have to.

For the 4K TV, I was holding off. I did start to notice my 9 year old Panasonic wasn't nearly as vivid as it once was. Finally I just decided that I wanted a new TV and got the OLED. I wasn't planning on getting a 4K player but had some RZ dollars so it almost free which allowed me to move my BR player to the bedroom.

For the discs, the 4K discs are $5 more than the BR alone and they include the BR disc too. For the few I buy, it's worth $5. I sit about 10' from a 65" screen and can absolutely see a difference between the BR and 4K discs. Passengers was minimal if any, Jack Reacher was small but noticeable, Hacksaw Ridge even more, Oblivion I was shocked to see the difference. Would I be disappointed watching just the BR? Not at all, they look great. Is it worth $5 to have an extra disc and a smidge more quality? Hell yeah.

Last edited by JimRochester; 06-03-17 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-03-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still waiting for my 6 year old Samsung 3D TV to die, so I can upgrade to 4K.

Maybe if I trip and poor water down the back of the TV?

Can't see paying the $$$ to upgrade right now, my wife see us paying for upgrade now either.

Maybe when I turn 60, then I will tell my wife I need it because my eyes need the extra sharpens/clarity.
Old 06-03-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Maybe when I turn 60, then I will tell my wife I need it because my eyes need the extra sharpens/clarity.
Have to admit, 58 this year and have been adopting the "why wait?" attitude.
Old 06-04-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For a new, even a niche format, I'm disappointed in the slow releases for 4K. Not that I buy that much but it would be nice to see the format gain some footing. Not one title in this weeks Best Buy ad.
Old 06-04-17, 11:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I certainly wouldn't use the weekly Best Buy ad to take a pulse on 4K releases. Sure, they are coming out slow overall, but they are coming out at a steady pace.
Old 06-04-17, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JimRochester
...Is it worth $5 to have an extra disc and a smidge more quality? Hell yeah.
Yeah, that's where we differ. The operative word here is "smidge." The difference is $5 on NEW releases. But if I own a catalog title on Blu-ray, There is no way I would ever replace that title for its UHD counterpart. I have replaced some Blu-rays with remastered versions but it is a very rare occurrence. There has to be more than just a "smidge" in improvement and there has to be more offered as with the "Creepshow 2" and "Donnie Darko" limited editions released by Arrow. I traded in the original releases to help defray the cost of the new versions. In both cases, I am thrilled with more than just the image quality. These are comprehensive packages that I just don't see happening with UHD anytime in the next few years. I'd rather use my dough to add more titles rather than replacing equipment and gaining an incremental improvement in PQ that hardly anyone would notice.
Old 06-04-17, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would not upgrade a Blu-ray I already owned either. The only thing I buy these days are new releases on release week. I also use my Reward Zone CC for business expenses so I am an Elite member by March and have plenty of RZ $$. Most of my purchases are either free or just a few bucks OOP. In A/B comparisons there is a definite difference. Quite a bit on Oblivion and Logan. Passengers surprised me as having the least difference so far. The others were somewhere in between. For me it's well worth the $5 especially when it's just monopoly money anyway.
Old 06-05-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Oblivion I was shocked to see the difference.
I thought the consensus opinion was that the Oblivion Blu-ray looks better than the UHD.
Old 06-05-17, 09:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

That's the majority of the responses I've heard, that the 1080p picture looks more natural than the 4K UHD. I remember a user saying this about UHD, "This is a flat, soft presentation, and not in any sort of natural "the movie's just supposed to look like this," way. Switching from the 4K disc to the included 1080p disc gets the opposite of the effect you'd expect, as the 1080p disc reveals a far sharper, more naturally detailed presentation than the 4K disc. Again the 4K has better color and contrast, but it's overall a pretty poor presentation"

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Oblivi...1/#UserReviews
Old 06-05-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm happy with my Blu-ray collection and currently have no intention to upgrade either equipment or discs.

I have most of what I want already, and new movies are largely disposable, IMO. Those I watch on a Kodi stick where the majority are consumed and quickly forgotten.
Old 06-05-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure why, but I did an A/B comparison and found the UHD to be much sharper with noticeably greater detail.
Old 06-06-17, 03:53 PM

Old 06-10-17, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing with the release of Beauty and the Beast, this week's numbers should be pretty good. Big budget family films are usually off the chart for purchases and this movie I found very entertaining plus it is freaking gorgeous.

AaronSch you will be happy to know I found the BATB disc so stunning I can't imagine a 4K presentation looking any better. Now with my position in life; kids grown, house paid off, both of us still working good jobs, I will continue to spend the extra $5 (especially RZ $$) when 4K discs are available but will concede the improvement is limited. Call it my little contribution to keeping the economy moving.

VHS -> DVD revolutionary. DVD -> BR evolutionary, BR -> 4K a tweak, 4K -> 8K is there a visible difference? 8K -> 12K too old and too blind to see or care about any difference.
Old 06-10-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

4K -> 8K is there a visible difference? 8K -> 12K too old and too blind to see or care about any difference.
Hopefully in the near future, there will be a 4K/8K/12K/666K/etc ... -> holodeck

Old 06-10-17, 08:58 AM
Banned

I'm guessing with the release of Beauty and the Beast, this week's numbers should be pretty good. Big budget family films are usually off the chart for purchases and this movie I found very entertaining plus it is freaking gorgeous.

AaronSch you will be happy to know I found the BATB disc so stunning I can't imagine a 4K presentation looking any better...
Yeah, I agree! I picked up a Best Buy steelbook even though I pre-ordered the Zavvi edition with 3D. I shared it with my Mom and her husband last night. Sometimes it's frustrating watching films with them because they will chat during the film or get up and go to the kitchen. However, they were mesmerized watching "Beauty and the Beast," just as they were watching "The Jungle Book" in 3D! LOL ...I never thought I'd get them to wear those glasses!

I can't wait till Zavvi ships my 2D/3D steelbook next month!
Old 06-13-17, 04:18 PM

Old 06-20-17, 04:45 PM

Old 06-20-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When GotG2 and WW get released those should be some pretty big weeks. I know those will be must have purchases for me.
Old 06-20-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by arbogast777
Have not seen BR outsell DVD in a long time.
Old 06-20-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by bruceames
No record, but after nearly 10 years Blu-ray finally broke the 50% barrier for a week. Considering all the hoopla and massive all time box office and the fact that the movie targets the maximum Blu-ray demographic, I expected it to do better than it did. Frozen only did $400 million box office and had only a 50% BD share and that week was over $100 million. Maybe it's the fact that OD has declined quite a bit the last few years, or that quite a few were content with getting the movie on Digital HD.

But speaking of disappointing, DVD did only $64 million. It's almost like the movie wasn't even available on DVD, you would never know it looking at that number. That's just an ordinary week for DVD. So because of that Blu-ray still did (almost) the 60% share I predicted.

I believe this is the last time BR outsold DVD...you guessed it, Star Wars The Force Awakens.
Old 06-20-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Have not seen BR outsell DVD in a long time.
It didn't outsell - it made more revenue.
Old 06-27-17, 04:42 PM

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.