Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD

Some scary numbers.

This week had Sex and the City 2 releases. BTTF Trilogy. Aliens Anthology. Two very expensive releases.

It was lower then any other week in Q4 2009.

This is the 13th, out of 44 weeks (so far) where Blu-ray has been down compared to 2009.

Q3 2010 was lower then Q3 2009 in revenue
Hardly surprising the numbers were down with such a weak slate of releases. Sex and the City 2 wasn't exactly a huge success and isn't targeted at the Blu-ray Disc demographic anyway (as is shown by the 18% BD share). The Back to Future and Alien sets may have a subset of DVDTalkers hyperventilating but they are older—and very expensive—catalog titles that most fans probably have on DVD already (the Alien set didn't even crack the top 20 in BD sales).

Given the slate of new releases, I'd have been shocked if it had been a good week for BD (and DVD) sales.
Old 11-06-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Some scary numbers.

This week had Sex and the City 2 releases. BTTF Trilogy. Aliens Anthology. Two very expensive releases.
I've been in two Wal-Marts, both with strong blu-ray presences, and neither carried the Alien Anthology. I was in one Super Target, and didn't see the Alien release for sale, either.

Not having shelf space at Wal-Mart and Target is going to cut into sales big-time. The only options for the typical consumers are online or Best Buy (the one I went to apparently sold out, as I couldn't find any copies in the store).

The Ultimate Electronics I visited had about a dozen on sale for $79.99... and wrapped up in spiders. Though I don't believe UE has anywhere near the market penetration of Best Buy.
Old 11-07-10, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Walmart is not counted in the above numbers, simply estimated. Target carries it as I saw 3 copies today. Best Buy is the #1 Blu-Ray seller followed by Amazon. So unless you live in the middle of no here, there were options to buy it.
Old 11-07-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just read through the thread and agree with the main points: Not enough incentive for people to upgrade, confusion over the format (need a good TV, need to upgrade firmware to play the movies), too many other things to do and other ways to watch, people saturated on their collections. I just bought Kick-Ass last week because it was 12.99. I bought Toy Story for the kids and the fact that I could stack it with Beauty and the Beast and save like $18 more. I just don't need to buy like I used to.

I'll offer one more point about BD and home media. One big factor in DVD growth was the TV on DVD market. BD hasn't been able to pick up on that for some of the same reasons already discussed here but also because of the price difference. Even if people watch their shows in HD, they don't need to pay extra to rewatch them. How much better will Two and a Half Men be on BD? Plus the scripted market has already been losing ground to reality/real-life shows, and no one will buy those. Even the top ratings of Survivor couldn't translate to DVD sales during the format's peak. Shows that translate best to BD like Lost are probably the most expensive to produce.
Old 11-07-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I'll offer one more point about BD and home media. One big factor in DVD growth was the TV on DVD market. BD hasn't been able to pick up on that for some of the same reasons already discussed here but also because of the price difference. Even if people watch their shows in HD, they don't need to pay extra to rewatch them. How much better will Two and a Half Men be on BD? Plus the scripted market has already been losing ground to reality/real-life shows, and no one will buy those. Even the top ratings of Survivor couldn't translate to DVD sales during the format's peak. Shows that translate best to BD like Lost are probably the most expensive to produce.

I've always been surprised at the sales success of TV shows on DVD/Blu-ray. Traditionally people hated watching re-runs on network TV when it was free and yet many will run out and buy a whole season's worth of re-runs for $30.

Shows like Seinfeld, That 70's Show, Friends etc. literally play every day in syndication. Personally I've never had the impulse to get up and pop in a certain episode of an old TV show.

I think this is where Netflix is especially handy where you can get endless amounts of TV shows, commercial-free for $7.99/month.

Don't get me wrong, old shows can be fun to watch but I would rather channel surf and come upon them accidently and have that element of surprise as to which episode it is.

As for Blu-ray, yeah, I can't see too many people paying $30/season to upgrade 10 seasons of Friends to Blu-ray.

Trying to recapture the theatrical experience with HD films is one thing, but HD versions of TV shows that you originally saw on standard-def is somewhat pointless.
Old 11-07-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I like TV on DVD, but I also primarily buy shows that aren't in wide syndication anymore, if they ever were [notable exception: the Simpsons]. But yes, I also don't see the purpose in buying Friends, Seinfeld, etc, but I also was never a huge fan of those shows in the first place.

Backlog.

Upgrade - I haven't upgraded yet, and now due to financial it'll be a while before I do.

Content - relatively few gotta-have titles for me

Other media - Netflix streaming or on disk rental is great

Rewatching - I don't rewatch much, so I have to take that into account.

Pricing - Most of the cheap titles I want, I've gotten, or I'll catch them on a sale. I actually said something the other day that previously didn't make sense: "Let's to the theater [to see Toy Story 3], it's cheaper than buying the DVD [BD]." [Although we ended up seeing Despicable Me].
Upgrade - with all the disks I have, many purchased cheaply, viewable pretty much anyway, I personally would only upgrade a very select few titles to BD, if/when I got BD.

I'm coming more and more around to streaming. I would never pay full price to "own" a streamed title, but when it comes buffet style like Netflix or Hulu, or even couple bucks VOD through a cable box, it's a valid option. I also agree that I don't really see the purpose in things like original Twilight Zone in HD. I'll admit I haven't seen it yet, but when I think HD, I think visually or aurally impressive titles.
Old 11-16-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Week ending 11/7:

Old 11-16-10, 05:40 PM
Suspended

Yay for $8 coupons and including every possible media format in New Releases!
Old 11-16-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Yay for $8 coupons and including every possible media format in New Releases!
And it still only takes 20% of the market after all that.
Old 11-16-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Every possible media format? You mean I can get new releases on CED videodisc now?
Old 11-17-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess we can call the gains for the week of 11/7 the "Toy Story 3 effect". In BD sales the next highest selling title was The Pacific at 8% of TS3 sales:

Top 20 Sellers for the Week Ended 11/07/10
Old 11-19-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Week ending 11/14:

Old 11-19-10, 06:04 PM
Suspended

Oh vey!
Old 11-20-10, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Couldn't POSSIBLY be because of those Eco-Cases, could it? Nah, it's cuz nobody wants to buy media anymore. Let's discontinue everything and just sell movies on iTunes from now on.
Old 11-29-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Week ended 11/21/10:

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 11/14/10 [Toy Story 3]

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 11/21/10 [Avatar: EE]

I'll be interested to see the chart for Black Friday week. The word is that BD/DVD sales were up, albeit at very low prices:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tho...ld/disc-deluge
Old 12-04-10, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Week ending 11/28/10:

Old 12-05-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 11/28/10 [The Expendables]
Old 12-05-10, 03:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Week ending 11/28/10:

BD hardware has grown 100%+ since last year and software only jumped 20% (or about $16 Million).

As a whole, OD is down $60 million from last BF. Blu-ray is not making up the losses, which was the whole point of BD (and HD DVD).

Stores gave away BD discs essentially at $5, $8 and $10, and they only jumped 20% from last year.
Old 12-05-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, Blu-ray is not making up the losses in the overall packaged media market. It remains heavily release-driven with impressive spikes around certain HD-friendly titles, and I fully expect Inception to continue this trend.

One thing I will say, it seems the "new norm" has become 15%-20% per week, while the "old norm" was 10%-15% per week.
Old 12-05-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I think consumers(including me) learned their lesson years ago when everyone was buying dvds for the sake of buying dvds. People aren't doing that with blu-rays and have become more selective. The time element also comes into play. Where do people find time to watch a new system when they don't have the time too watch the old system(consumers are still happy w/dvds)? I watch one new blu-ray per week and in the dvd hay-day ,I was watching 4-5 new discs each week.
Old 12-05-10, 03:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
No, Blu-ray is not making up the losses in the overall packaged media market. It remains heavily release-driven with impressive spikes around certain HD-friendly titles, and I fully expect Inception to continue this trend.

One thing I will say, it seems the "new norm" has become 15%-20% per week, while the "old norm" was 10%-15% per week.
At $18 for a BD/DVD/DC set, yeah, it'll do well. The DVD people only have to spend a dollar or two more and they get so much more value.
Old 12-06-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I think consumers(including me) learned their lesson years ago when everyone was buying dvds for the sake of buying dvds. People aren't doing that with blu-rays and have become more selective. The time element also comes into play. Where do people find time to watch a new system when they don't have the time too watch the old system(consumers are still happy w/dvds)? I watch one new blu-ray per week and in the dvd hay-day ,I was watching 4-5 new discs each week.
This is my view also.

At $18 for a BD/DVD/DC set, yeah, it'll do well. The DVD people only have to spend a dollar or two more and they get so much more value.
I wonder about that. Those well-priced combo titles aren't doing as well as I would have expected. I don't think consumers are as rational (or educated) as you seem to think. They have to realize that a Blu-ray/DVD offers more value and is more "future-proof" than just a DVD. That doesn't seem to be the case thus far. Perhaps that will change over time.
Old 12-06-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I think consumers(including me) learned their lesson years ago when everyone was buying dvds for the sake of buying dvds. People aren't doing that with blu-rays and have become more selective.
I'm in the same boat.

I remember buying a shitload of DVDs back in the late 90s and early 00s when companies were burning through investment capital and practically giving them away. (Remember Reel.com and 800.com?)

I also went through a period where I was collecting things like Hammer Horror films, Eurohorror (Argento, Fulci, etc.), and "arthouse films" but now that I've bought everything in those genres that I want, I have no desire to upgrade any of them to blu-ray. And, to be blunt, a lot of this stuff doesn't have a lot of replay value. I'll watch horror movies with my finger on the FF button, and I don't know that I'll ever feel the need to watch The Opposite of Sex, Welcome to the Dollhouse, or Sex Lies and Videotape again in my lifetime.

There are only three kinds of movies I buy on blu-ray:

1. New releases, and those are few and far between.

2. Upgrades of classic movies and personal favorites.

3. The things I never got around to picking up on DVD.

And even then, I usually wait until I can pick these up at bargain prices.
Old 12-09-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Week ending 12/05/10:

Old 12-10-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^Interesting that sales were up substantially from the week last year.

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 12/5/10 [Eclipse]

Top 20 Selling Blu-ray Discs for the Week Ended 12/6/09 [Terminator: Salvation]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.