Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

I would've bought the 3D Iron Man 3 if the price were lower, but I'll just wait for it to drop. Target doesn't even seem to be carrying it.
Old 09-25-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many Walmarts are selling the 3D Iron Man for $24.96. I'd check there.
Old 09-25-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
They're pushing the envelope though with a rather high release week price. I was going to pick it up, then I saw the $25 price tag. I'll wait. There's no doubt it will be a huge seller but does anyone think the price will lower the numbers?
Are you talking about Iron Man 3? The 2D version is ringing up $19.96 at Walmart. YMMV, but there are plenty of reports of this being a common price. They had released a small ad in the Parade magazine last week with the lower prices. My store changed them yesterday afternoon.
Old 09-25-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Are you talking about Iron Man 3? The 2D version is ringing up $19.96 at Walmart. YMMV, but there are plenty of reports of this being a common price. They had released a small ad in the Parade magazine last week with the lower prices. My store changed them yesterday afternoon.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I would've bought the 3D Iron Man 3 if the price were lower, but I'll just wait for it to drop. Target doesn't even seem to be carrying it.
You are correct. Wal Mart was ringing up for $19.96 for the BR + DVD + DC so I grabbed one when I went in to grab something for lunch today. The 3D was $24.96
Old 09-25-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Just wait until this week with IM3
IM3 week will not be the next reported week, but the one after. Since IM3 will be going up against Avengers (released the same week last year), the YoY metric for that week is not going to be pretty. Blu-ray did $88 million on Avengers week. IM3 also suffers from a promotional disadvantage. No store exclusives and, with the exception of Walmart, is being priced very meh everywhere (and even Walmart's price I think is just ringing up low and not really being widely advertised)

Originally Posted by Coral
BD has become a format for comic-book and Star Trek geeks.
This is true, as Blu-ray really only has a big when a movie like that gets released. DVD has a bigger week as well, but it's selling base is so wide that strong new releases don't affect the weekly metrics so much. Also, Blu-ray has much bigger market shares on these kinds of movies so it "steals" sales from DVD, so to speak.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Yup. Clearly the boycotting fans who cancelled their preorders didn't make any dent at all. As we knew they wouldn't.
Star Trek was available on Blu-ray everywhere for less than $20, so even the boycotters caved, lol.
Old 09-25-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same here. I can wait for the price drop. Why should I pay $25 for this when I paid $20 for the 3D version of Avengers last year? And the nearest Walmart from me is 20 miles.

Hopefully Amazon will get around to matching Walmart's price, but they may decide to not bother since Walmart's price isn't widely advertised anyway and limited to in-store purchases.
Old 09-29-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Owning movies is getting hit by a double whammy: 1) owners realizing how underutilized their collection is and 2) competition from streaming and other forms of digital entertainment that eats up people available time to watch their collection.

I look at my collection now and think, "wow, what a waste of money". I don't regret buying the Criterion movies though because those I do watch more than the others and I love to watch the special features on them. For for the others, I just see number of unwatched movies growing as I get sucked in by the Xmas sales, and with price erosion being what it is, it's kinda dumb to buy movies that you're not going to watch anytime soon.
The thing with me is, I just don't rewatch movies that often. Out of all the movies I own, I've only watched maybe a few dozen more than once. Someone else in this thread had mentioned they would rather spend two hours watching something they had never seen before then something they'd seen three or four times. That’s the way I feel. Right now I have a stack of movies to watch (not that many, maybe four) but they’re all movies I’ve seen previously and I just don’t really have the desire to sit down and throw one of them in. I’ll get around to watching them at some point, just not right now. I get a lot of my movies from Netflix and 9 times out of 10 if I want to watch something, it’s usually what came from Netflix and almost never anything from my own collection. Unless it’s around Halloween, then I’ll start pulling out the horror movies.

A lot of the movies I watch, I just don't feel the need or desire to see them a second time. I've been with Netflix since mid 2009 (I think I joined in August), and out of all the movies I’ve rented from them, there’s only a very small handful that I’ve actually gone out and bought. I just don’t have that desired to rewatch a movie once I’ve seen it. Now, there are movies I own that I consider favorites and I do watch these multiple times, but for the most part I’m completely satisfied with that initial viewing.
Old 09-29-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Stuff like that has always sold well on any format. Star Trek II was one of the first lower-priced VHS releases after all. Glad to see the early 'digital' release of Star Trek Into Darkness didn't hurt disc sales of it too much, which was probably what it was intended to do.
I don't think the intention was to hurt disc sales but to convert renters into buyers (or "licensors"--whatever you want to call it).

IM3 week will not be the next reported week, but the one after. Since IM3 will be going up against Avengers (released the same week last year), the YoY metric for that week is not going to be pretty. Blu-ray did $88 million on Avengers week. IM3 also suffers from a promotional disadvantage. No store exclusives and, with the exception of Walmart, is being priced very meh everywhere (and even Walmart's price I think is just ringing up
I just didn't enjoy IM3 as much as The Avengers. I hear the ads for IM3 at $20ish and see the promo pics of RDJ sitting on the couch next to the suit and realize I have no desire to spend that much to revisit that movie. I bought The Avengers day 1, but held out on IM2 till it hit $3.99 a year or two later.

I kept getting tempted by STID in the $18 range, but had such mixed feelings about the movie, and I never did end up getting the first movie (which I really enjoyed) in any format. I liked the itunes deal of the two STs in HD for $25 but don't have my home theater set up to play itunes files.

I think the only new releases I buy any more are family, premium TV (HBO/Cinemax), and gifts. Physical media has lost its appeal for me.
Old 09-30-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Star Trek was available on Blu-ray everywhere for less than $20, so even the boycotters caved, lol.
And I'm sure I will too.

Owning movies is getting hit by a double whammy: 1) owners realizing how underutilized their collection is and 2) competition from streaming and other forms of digital entertainment that eats up people available time to watch their collection.
I just feel uncomfortable paying for things which I don't actually own. I don't mind buying single songs off of iTunes, but when it comes to full albums, even when I mostly listen to them on my iPod, I prefer to have the corresponding CD, I just don't like stuff floating in "the cloud."

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think the only new releases I buy any more are family, premium TV (HBO/Cinemax), and gifts. Physical media has lost its appeal for me.
You're probably just indicative of the way things are eventually going to go. I don't deny the huge convenience of streaming, and I think eventually, it's where most people will end up. The future is a-coming, whether I like it or not.
Old 10-01-13, 07:31 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

September 21:

Old 10-09-13, 12:46 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

September 28:

Old 10-09-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

BD accounts for 37%. Iron Man 3 was released that week? (ie. geek factor again).

BD is down 47% from the same time last year, so either last year had a bigger geek factor... or more people are streaming.
Old 10-09-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last year was Avengers week. Also I think IM3 sales were throttled by the lack of aggressive retailer pricing which is typical on these types of movies. I believe Disney wanted to keep the price high (by selling it at a higher wholesale price to retailers, the days of "loss leader" DVD pricing is long gone) as one of there many "experiments" and obviously it backfired.
Old 10-09-13, 10:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

BD accounts for 37%. Iron Man 3 was released that week? (ie. geek factor again).

BD is down 47% from the same time last year, so either last year had a bigger geek factor... or more people are streaming.
Is there any data that would show % of households that are streaming? I'd be curious to know if that's really on the increase or if we just say it is when DVD/Blu sales drop.
Old 10-09-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last year was Avengers week. Also I think IM3 sales were throttled by the lack of aggressive retailer pricing which is typical on these types of movies. I believe Disney wanted to keep the price high (by selling it at a higher wholesale price to retailers, the days of "loss leader" DVD pricing is long gone) as one of there many "experiments" and obviously it backfired.
No surprise that Avenger's sold a ton more BR's than IM3, so the drop is hugh but not that surprising.

That "Avenger's BR" sales week had $68 Million just for the Avenger's BR all by itself, that is going to be hard to compete with no matter what BR tittle it is.

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 10-09-13 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The Avengers was a lot more popular movie than Iron Man 3, which many view as a disappointment.
Old 10-09-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Avengers was a lot more popular movie than Iron Man 3, which many view as a disappointment.
Yeah, cause 1 billion dollars in box office sales is a disappointment.
Old 10-09-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Yes, but blu-ray generated $46.5m this week, $35.5m last week, but was down from the week last year.

Comparing sales to the same week last year doesn't provide a very strong yard stick since sales are skewed by major releases. I would suspect that book sales and music sales follow a similar pattern where sales spike when big sellers are released, then drop during slow weeks.
Old 10-09-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yes, but blu-ray generated $46.5m this week, $35.5m last week, but was down from the week last year.

Comparing sales to the same week last year doesn't provide a very strong yard stick since sales are skewed by major releases.
Right, but you can say the same thing about a week-to-week comparison. The only reason why the sales increased over the previous week was due to IM3 being released. At least with this particular year-over-year comparison, it was more apples-to-apples as the geek factor was high for both weeks.
Old 10-09-13, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
No surprise that Avenger's sold a ton more BR's than IM3, so the drop is hugh but not that surprising.

That "Avenger's BR" sales week had $68 Million just for the Avenger's BR all by itself, that is going to be hard to compete with no matter what BR tittle it is.
$68 million is about 3.4 million units in sales (assuming $20 per sale).

If we take out $20 million from the $47 million in IM3 week and apply it to "base sales", then IM3 generated about $27 million, or, figuring an average sales price of $23.00, about 1.2 million in sales.

1.2 million units in sales for a comic book movie with a $409 million domestic box office gross is pathetic. It should have been closer to 2 million units. This is the biggest release of the year by far on Blu-ray, so that's why I think the higher than normal retail pricing really hurt sales. It should be rather obvious.
Old 10-09-13, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1.2 million units in sales for a comic book movie with a $409 domestic gross is pathetic. It should have been closer to 2 million units. This is the biggest release of the year by far on Blu-ray, so that's why I think the higher than normal retail pricing really hurt sales. It should be rather obvious.
Exactly, the reason why IM3 didn't move more sales was the ridiculous buy in price. I don't even have my copy yet because I would rather wait for something more reasonable. Disney needs to understand that they can't price everything at Vault Diamond Collection type pricing.
Old 10-09-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Comparing sales to the same week last year doesn't provide a very strong yard stick since sales are skewed by major releases. I would suspect that book sales and music sales follow a similar pattern where sales spike when big sellers are released, then drop during slow weeks.
I compare YoY sales on a particular sales week when there is something interesting. The comparison here is Iron Man 3 vs. Avengers. IM3 can't be expected to match Avengers, so I use box office power to get a sense of how it perhaps "should" have done. IM3 grossed $409 million domestically and Avengers did $683 million. Also, Avengers was a better movie so that has to be factored in. All in all, IM3 definitely underperformed for the reasons I gave above.
Old 10-09-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kedrix
Exactly, the reason why IM3 didn't move more sales was the ridiculous buy in price. I don't even have my copy yet because I would rather wait for something more reasonable. Disney needs to understand that they can't price everything at Vault Diamond Collection type pricing.
Right, I think quite a few people have that mentality that anything over $20 is a no-buy. Also, Avengers was below $20 everywhere and people remembered that. They thought it was a rip off to pay more for a lesser movie. And nobody believes that DVD/BD prices are going up, if anything they think they're going down. So you got lots of people (including myself) deciding to wait, or forget about it altogether.
Old 10-10-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Target's blowout pricing of the Avengers 3-D set at $20 was a great loss leader and elevated its sales.
Old 10-10-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Target's blowout pricing of the Avengers 3-D set at $20 was a great loss leader and elevated its sales.
I agree. It certainly helped the 3D share as well, getting 23% of OD sales (BD + DVD). Iron Man 3 got only 7% of sales from the 3D SKU

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.