Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 03-28-13, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Texan26
I don't mind best buy reducing space but they need to find a way to keep it organized. It's a complete mess at all the locations I have visited. I probably own about 90% of the catalog titles I want so I'm only usually interested in new releases.
That is now how Best Buy organizes it's movies. They have to mix the DVD and Blu-ray to justify keeping so much of it around (some of the space was nixed as well). Face it, in the coming months that space will probably get reduced again and given over to departments that are actually making sales, like Cell phones and tablets. Why keep devoting space to a dying medium (DVD) and one that can't even muster a 10% YoY increase (Blu-ray).

Best Buy is not long for this world. They will push whatever helps them make money. It's not Blu-ray and DVDs. It hasn't been for years.
Old 03-28-13, 10:28 AM
Suspended

For Bunkaroo:
http://www.startribune.com/business/...1.html?refer=y
Joly also outlined a plan to shift valuable square footage in stores away from low-margin items like CDs and DVDs toward more profitable categories such as smartphones, tablets, accessories and appliances. Joly recently told investors that Best Buy plans to open 18 to 25 Pacific Kitchen stores, a store-within-a-store concept, that sell mid- to high-end refrigerators, stoves and washing machines.

“While not a terribly complicated strategy, Best Buy is initially reducing space in declining businesses and increasing space in growth businesses,” wrote Daniel Binder, an analyst with Jefferies & Co., in a recent research report.
Oh gee, look at that. Does that sting? Exactly what I was saying.

But its cool. You can live in your bubble.
Old 03-28-13, 10:31 AM
Suspended

How about another?
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1242...ce=google_news

Best Buy will be cutting down on its CD/DVD business. If you have been to a Best Buy, then you know the CD/DVDs section takes up a massive amount of square feet. This is not good considering these products have low margins and are often not in high demand. The company will then use the extra space from the reductions to focus on mobile and accessories. This has much higher demand and the margins are better than the CD/DVD business.
Old 03-28-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think anyone denied that Best Buy was reducing the amount of media they carry, did they?
Old 03-28-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
For Bunkaroo:
http://www.startribune.com/business/...1.html?refer=y

Oh gee, look at that. Does that sting? Exactly what I was saying.

But its cool. You can live in your bubble.
really that's the best you got?

This just in - Best Buy is in trouble! Thanks for that news flash!
Old 03-28-13, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't think anyone denied that Best Buy was reducing the amount of media they carry, did they?
Nope sure didn't. But obviously our resident tr......bad news bringer has been smarting over being called out over zero credibility, so here we are.

Here's what I know: yes there is a decline in consumer interest in packaged media. Is it as severe as some would make it out to be based on personal issues they might have with some formats? No.

I will repeat for something like the 18th time, I don't care if Blu-ray is gone from all retail stores. As long as I can obtain them through some online channel that's fine with me. Let the masses like our friend here enjoy their lower-rez convenient streaming. It doesn't affect me and what I buy.
Old 03-28-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I will repeat for something like the 18th time, I don't care if Blu-ray is gone from all retail stores. As long as I can obtain them through some online channel that's fine with me. Let the masses like our friend here enjoy their lower-rez convenient streaming. It doesn't affect me and what I buy.
It doesn't affect you...until it does. With fewer choices of where to buy, there will be less competition in the marketplace, and the 800lb gorilla (Amazon) will set the market. Gone will be the days of $5 and $10 Blu-rays, and we'll be forced to pay Amazon's price, or alternately, on-demand pricing like the frozen-at-$20 Hudsucker Proxy.
Old 03-28-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
It doesn't affect you...until it does. With fewer choices of where to buy, there will be less competition in the marketplace, and the 800lb gorilla (Amazon) will set the market. Gone will be the days of $5 and $10 Blu-rays, and we'll be forced to pay Amazon's price, or alternately, on-demand pricing like the frozen-at-$20 Hudsucker Proxy.
As I mentioned in the Hudsucker thread, I'm fine with that price. I know a lot of people aren't, but I'm not really a bargain hunter when it comes to movies I love. I mean I don't want to pay through the nose, but $20 for a movie I love like Hudsucker Proxy in HD is well worth it to me considering I used to pay $28 for catalog DVD titles in 2000. $28 by today's inflation is over $35 I believe. I make it a point to by catalog titles on week 1 to help show studios there's at least a little interest in the titles. I pay a little more for that, but I'm OK with that. And maybe it doesn't matter, but it's how I do it.

I know people are accustomed to cheap movies due to dump bins and such, and they can continue to get their cheap movies through rental streaming. I prefer to have my movies available on packaged media, and if I have to pay a premium for it, so be it. Outside of new releases, there might be 40-50 titles left in my collection that are DVD's and I would like to have in HD. Even if I had to pay $20 for every one of them, that's maybe a grand at most. And I'd have them in HD on a disc where it doesn't have compromised video and audio quality due to streaming and is available whether my internet connection is up, slow or down. I'll take that any day of the week.
Old 03-28-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 770 Likes on 645 Posts

The only reason that Target and Walmart keep any media around is because it drives certain demographic traffic to their stores, in the hopes you'll buy higher margin goods while at the store. Media was never a great way to make profit and its presence in retail will continue to dwindle down as the Millennials forsake all forms of physical media.
Old 03-28-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

bunkaroo will stay Blu!
Old 03-28-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

bunkaroo will stay Blu!
No I'm just not a cheap bastard!
Old 03-28-13, 04:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Exactly. I thought we were discussing Target's Blu-ray's retail space which most people agree that it has not gone down. We all knew about Best Buy reducing space.
Old 03-28-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Here in Vancouver Best Buy and Future Shop (electronic giant owned by Best Buy) are introducing smaller retail shops as the new model rather than the typical 30,000 square foot megastores.

These small retails shops have been modeled similar to the Apple store which features only a handful of top-selling and high mark-up items in a store that is spacious and has lots of "hands-on" displays.

I think they're hoping to push their website and have more merchandise sold through their central warehouse operation rather than the more expensive huge retail stores with thousands of employees.

They have already closed two or three Best Buy locations here in the last few months.
Old 03-29-13, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't believe Target is reducing space but it never really devoted that much space to begin with.
Old 04-02-13, 09:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

March 23:

Old 04-03-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013 - First 12 weeks of reporting numbers
BR = $559.37 Million

2012 - First 12 weeks of reporting numbers
BR = $450.12 Million

Increase of 24.27% for the year so far.

***Numbers may be a day or two off because of the reporting dates, but totals and % should be very close. And, as the year goes on, the day or two becomes a very small difference.***
Old 04-03-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the 2013 Year:
-BR total sales (dollar) has been UP 9 out of the 12 weeks

-DVD + BR total sales (dollar) has been DOWN 7 out of the 12 weeks
Old 04-09-13, 06:15 PM

March 30:

Old 04-09-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2013 - First 13 weeks of reporting numbers
BR = $628.26 Million

2012 - First 13 weeks of reporting numbers
BR = $485.10 Million

Increase of 29.51% for the year so far.

***Numbers may be a day or two off because of the reporting dates, but totals and % should be very close. And, as the year goes on, the day or two becomes a very small difference.***
Old 04-09-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the 2013 Year:
-BR total sales (dollar) has been UP 10 out of the 13 weeks

-DVD + BR total sales (dollar) has been DOWN 7 out of the 13 weeks
Old 04-12-13, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 422 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Increase of only 29.51% for the year so far.
Fixed
Old 04-13-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 288 Likes on 213 Posts

This is great news. In 1936, the estimated increase was 0%.
Old 04-13-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 283 Posts

I really don't. I could post examples that you will dismiss. There is no point having much of a discussion with you because all you see is Blu-ray is the best thing in the world.

Which makes even less sense.

I am saying there is less space devoted to Blu-ray. You are saying there is more. If Blu-ray is gaining YoY (currently at a pathetic 17%, which will no doubt go down in the coming weeks), that would mean Blu-ray is seller so well that stores are stupid for reducing space. What you are saying is Blu-ray space is growing, while sales are growing. So in essense, Blu-ray has become flat. You should be championing my posts.

17% of 2.3 Billion isn't that much. Not when DVD is losing far more. Forget the % and look at the $. We are in year 8, not 2.
Have never looked or cared about the the numbers, but if shelf space increases while sales increase, that does not mean sales are flat. Let's say they have twice the space, and also restock twice as much. Are you going to tell me sales are flat? Not saying that is the case here, but to say that because shelf space and sales are increasing that Bluray sales are flat makes zero logical sense to me.
Old 04-16-13, 05:40 PM

April 6:

Old 04-16-13, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2013 - First 14 weeks of reporting numbers
BR = $664.85 Million

2012 - First 14 weeks of reporting numbers
BR = $530.72 Million

Increase of 25.27% for the year so far.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.