Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 03-26-13, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Texan26
You must have a shitty small Target. Is it a Super Target? All my Targets near me are the Super Targets variety and i have noticed more blu-ray space since one year ago. All of them now have a $5 and $7.50 four foot sections. More endcaps dedicated to blu-rays and the space in the Action, comedy, drama, tv shows etc.. blu-ray sections have increased.
I have several Targets around me. All reduced space to DVD, Blu-ray and CD.

Originally Posted by slop101
See, now I think you're lying just to be contrary. I'm in So.Cal. as well (OC) and all the Targets around me have more blu-rays than ever and just as many CDs as they've ever had (which was never all that much).
I'm in LA County - reduced space.
Old 03-26-13, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Even Sony, chief pom-pom waver and inventor of Blu-ray, has farmed out several of their catalogue titles to Mill Creek.
Thanks for proving my point?

Sony has been bad at releasing catalog titles since the format war ended. They farmed out their releases, like many other studios, since there is little profit in them. Not to mention *gasp* retailers are being more selective of what they stock with their reduced space.

BTW, here is a thread from Blu-ray.com, the biggest Blu-ray fan site #1 ever. They discuss the shrink in space:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=204554
Old 03-26-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Not to mention *gasp* retailers are being more selective of what they stock with their reduced space.
It makes sense. I haven't bought a movie in store in years.
Old 03-26-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

So it seems several other posters have called Gizmo on his bullshit again. I have said time and again I am fine with having to buy them online if/when it comes to that.

I don't have a stake in Blu-ray - I already have the vast majority of films I want on the format. I just make it a point to speak up when you're spouting your bullshit again.

If you think you have any credibility in here at this point, especially after a couple people in your area have directly contradicted what you claim to see, well...
Old 03-26-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Many Walmarts, including mine, have recently re-designed their media section. At one of my stores, there is now a huge wall of catalog/newer release titles, maybe 20-24' in length. Combine this with their usual mini-sections/end caps/special cardboard displays featuring new release/catalog BDs, the $7.88 bin, and you have plenty of titles to choose from. Great to see the world's #1 retailer expanding their selection.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 03-26-13 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-26-13, 11:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for proving my point?

Sony has been bad at releasing catalog titles since the format war ended. They farmed out their releases, like many other studios, since there is little profit in them. Not to mention *gasp* retailers are being more selective of what they stock with their reduced space.

BTW, here is a thread from Blu-ray.com, the biggest Blu-ray fan site #1 ever. They discuss the shrink in space:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=204554
Sony can keep giving mill creek more titles. They are much cheaper like the double packs at Walmart for $5 each.

That thread is about best buy reducing space not target like we were discussing.

It's amazing that space has been reduced but sales have gone up this year.
Old 03-26-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I think whether or not we are seeing a reduction of physical media in retail stores largely depends on where you live.
This.

Every area is different, depending on population density, demographics, income levels, etc. Chains like Walmart and Target are simply adjusting the shelf allocation based on demand at their particular store. For the most part, that change in allocation is based on sales overall. DVD + Blu-ray shelf space is decreasing while Blu-ray space is increasing.

At the two Walmarts nearest me, the space dedicated to Blu-ray has not increased and on the contrary at one of them some existing Blu-ray shelf space has been replaced by DVDs! At both Walmarts Blu-ray is only about 10-15% of shelf space (including endcaps).

At the Target near me, the story is much different. Blu-ray takes almost half of the shelf space and DVD the other half. Part of it could be because I live in a more affluent area (where Blu-ray adoption will be higher) and another part is that Unlike Walmart, Target stores in general seem to be more aggressive in adding Blu-ray space (at the expense of DVD) whenever possible. Again, it could be because Target stores attract a more affluent clientele than Walmart.
Old 03-26-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I haven't noticed a reduction at any of the Target stores near here either. Perhaps the "media" section is smaller, with space dedicated to tablets and the such, but I'd say that Target's space has been fairly consistent for quite a while.
At my Super Target, the "media" section is the same size it always was, though they've reduced the CD section quite a bit over the years. They still carry a lot of movies and television shows on DVD and blu-ray. The video game section seems to have shrunk some, and they also seem to be carrying more books and magazines than they did before.
Old 03-26-13, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
So it seems several other posters have called Gizmo on his bullshit again. I have said time and again I am fine with having to buy them online if/when it comes to that.

I don't have a stake in Blu-ray - I already have the vast majority of films I want on the format. I just make it a point to speak up when you're spouting your bullshit again.

If you think you have any credibility in here at this point, especially after a couple people in your area have directly contradicted what you claim to see, well...
I don't really care about credibility . I could give you plenty of examples but you would just dismiss them like you always have. We've already seen major studios farm out catalog to low-level studios which should be proof enough that Blu-ray isn't making that much revenue for the studios otherwise they would release it themselves.

Blu-ray couldn't even muster a 10% YoY increase. That alone is proof enough.
Old 03-26-13, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
At my Super Target, the "media" section is the same size it always was, though they've reduced the CD section quite a bit over the years. They still carry a lot of movies and television shows on DVD and blu-ray. The video game section seems to have shrunk some, and they also seem to be carrying more books and magazines than they did before.
Mine is less. They now have a mini-Apple store inside of it so OD was reduced.
Old 03-26-13, 09:44 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

March 16:

Old 03-27-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't really care about credibility . I could give you plenty of examples but you would just dismiss them like you always have. We've already seen major studios farm out catalog to low-level studios which should be proof enough that Blu-ray isn't making that much revenue for the studios otherwise they would release it themselves.

Blu-ray couldn't even muster a 10% YoY increase. That alone is proof enough.
That much is readily apparent.
Old 03-27-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2013 - First 11 weeks of reporting numbers
BR = $480.74 Million

2012 - First 11 weeks of reporting numbers
BR = $409.76 Million

Increase of 17.33% for the year so far. (My % was off in my past posts, I went back and corrected the errors. Increased the percentages a point or so.)

***Numbers may be a day or two off because of the reporting dates, but totals and % should be very close. And, as the year goes on, the day or two becomes a very small difference.***

Last edited by Iron_Giant; 03-27-13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-27-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the 2013 Year:
-BR total sales (dollar) has been UP 8 out of the 11 weeks

-DVD + BR total sales (dollar) has been DOWN 7 out of the 11 weeks
Old 03-27-13, 06:56 PM

So blu-ray revenue is up 17% even though there is less retail space dedicated to blu-ray?
Old 03-27-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

... even though there is less retail space dedicated to blu-ray?
Only around Gizmo, as it seems everyone else has noticed an increase of retail space for blu-ray in the past couple years.
Old 03-27-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Only around Gizmo, as it seems everyone else has noticed an increase of retail space for blu-ray in the past couple years.
It's really hard to tell.

Target - Seems to have about the same amount of blu-ray/DVD mix for the past three or so years.

Wal-Mart - Indeterminate. Their home video section is kind of a mess, and it varies from store to store. Though it seems like Wal-Mart has a better, if not bigger, selectionof blu-rays than they do DVDs. Most of Wal-Mart's non-new release DVDs are budget titles and combo packs. Six b-movies one disc for $5!

Best Buy - While their home video section has been shrinking, blu-ray has been eating into the DVD space steadily. Now that they've started mixing the DVDs and blu-rays together, it's going to be nearly impossible to gauge how retail space blu-ray has there.
Old 03-27-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's up 17% largely because the new releases are much stronger this year than last. The box office power for the last five weeks has averaged $287 million per week and next week the box office power will be an amazing $615 million (led by The Hobbit).

So Blu-ray is getting plenty of fuel for it's YoY gains. That said, I'm starting to wonder if the inclusion of HD Ultraviolet codes in most titles is starting to have a positive effect on sales. After all, that's what UV is being used for right, to stimulate OD sales? I think as UV becomes more popular then we may see studios start to depend more on UV rather than DVD to stimulate Blu-ray sales.
Old 03-27-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most stores have seen an increase, but some haven't. For the most part the increases have been rather modest. There's only so much floor space a $2.3 billion per year sell-through format deserves to lay claim on. DVD in year seven was doing over four times that much and still does around $6 billion a year.
Old 03-28-13, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the BR titles below coming out on Next Weeks numbers, the 17% should grow even higher...

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Les MisÚrables
Zero Dark Thirty

-All 3 have over 54% BR sold.
Old 03-28-13, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll stay away from the core argument and the personal attacks, however I have stated many times the Best Buys around here are greatly reducing the space for media. They'd rather have end-caps and bargain bins ala Wal Mart than shelves. During the last U&S sale there were entire shelves with 2 or 3 discs sitting there. After not restocking I realized they were letting it dwindle to reclaim the space. Now Gizmo can sometimes be a glass half empty kind of guy but that doesn't make him wrong. It boils down to a medium that is growing but at a slow pace, much like the overall economy. But long term I just don't see stores devoting bigger spaces to what will be loss-leaders.
Old 03-28-13, 08:29 AM

I don't mind best buy reducing space but they need to find a way to keep it organized. It's a complete mess at all the locations I have visited. I probably own about 90% of the catalog titles I want so I'm only usually interested in new releases.
Old 03-28-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I'll stay away from the core argument and the personal attacks, however I have stated many times the Best Buys around here are greatly reducing the space for media. They'd rather have end-caps and bargain bins ala Wal Mart than shelves. During the last U&S sale there were entire shelves with 2 or 3 discs sitting there. After not restocking I realized they were letting it dwindle to reclaim the space. Now Gizmo can sometimes be a glass half empty kind of guy but that doesn't make him wrong. It boils down to a medium that is growing but at a slow pace, much like the overall economy. But long term I just don't see stores devoting bigger spaces to what will be loss-leaders.
I agree that Gizmo is getting dogpiled here. It may vary from area to area, but it seems one common factor that seems to show up is Best Buy reducing their Bluray/DVD space. I'm in the Chicago suburbs which has BB's all over the place, and not only have most of them reduced space for physical media, but they've even closed a few stores.

Target has remained about the same, but frankly I've never thought their prices were that great for most titles. Last Bluray I bought from them was The Hobbit, and that was just to get the Lego Bilbo Baggins.
Old 03-28-13, 09:19 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
That much is readily apparent.
I really don't. I could post examples that you will dismiss. There is no point having much of a discussion with you because all you see is Blu-ray is the best thing in the world.

So blu-ray revenue is up 17% even though there is less retail space dedicated to blu-ray?
Which makes even less sense.

I am saying there is less space devoted to Blu-ray. You are saying there is more. If Blu-ray is gaining YoY (currently at a pathetic 17%, which will no doubt go down in the coming weeks), that would mean Blu-ray is seller so well that stores are stupid for reducing space. What you are saying is Blu-ray space is growing, while sales are growing. So in essense, Blu-ray has become flat. You should be championing my posts.

17% of 2.3 Billion isn't that much. Not when DVD is losing far more. Forget the % and look at the $. We are in year 8, not 2.
Old 03-28-13, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Except several people have already stated they have seen a reduced amount of space. But let's ignore them as they don't fit into your agenda.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.