Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 03-25-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Consumer expectations for Blu-ray pricing is driving it down into the $10 range. People wait, knowing that prices will fall, and fall rather quickly. We got spoiled by DVD sell-thru pricing. Contrast that with the cost of taking a family of 4 to the big 3D extravaganzas and you get a sense of the value of buying a Blu-ray disc.
My wife and I loved Argo in the theater and we both said we wanted to buy it on BR after the show was over.

Argo was 1st priced at $24.99 about a month ago, so I thought I will wait a few weeks to pick it up.

Now, I am going to pick it up for $14.99 tomorrow, it will be on sale at BestBuy.

Wish I could have the same self-control for "Les Misérables and The Hobbit". But, I paid $19.99 for LM and $24.99 for the BestBuy special for The Hobbit.

We had about 8 people over last night to watch "Les Misérables" and had a great time watching. The music/acting/filming was fantastic. We paused it to have an old time Intermission, then started it up again. We had food and drinks, everyone had a great time.

We have yet to watch The Hobbit, there was a debate on which movie to watch, but since my daughter is trying out for the "Les Misérables" play this week, her vote won out.

***As I was walking out of Fred Myers over the weekend, I saw "The Social Network" priced for only $4.99 on BR and I had to pick it up.
-When prices drop to a super deal for movies I wanted to watch, but did not get around to it, then I will pick them up.
Old 03-25-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Wouldn't one expect a bump in Blu-ray/DVD sales to lag a bump in box office by 3-4 months, assuming the latter is coming from movies that are reaching larger audiences? Just curious, not being argumentative. I enjoy tracking the data in this thread, but think all the back-and-forth pissing matches are rather silly, so I'm not intending to contribute to that.
I meant box office lead-in as in box office power of the titles that were actually released on Blu-ray during the period in question (1st 10 weeks of this year and last).

There is a strong correlation in box office power and Blu-ray revenue, since most (70-80% at least) is derived from sales of new and recent releases. I might post a line chart illustrating that correlation later. By contrast, most of DVD's revenue is from non-new releases since the format releases so much (over 5x of Blu-ray still) and the available library of titles is so deep.
Old 03-25-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Part of the rise in box office is higher ticket prices where media prices are flat at best but realistically going down in the sub $10 range
Total box office receipts only go up a few percent a year on average, while the new release titles on Blu-ray/DVD remain relatively constant. The box office power affects new releases only and by the time they get under $10 they are no longer new release but theatrical catalog.
Old 03-25-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
My local Costco's Blu-ray selection has been dwindling steadily over the past couple of years. These days, on any given week they'll carry about 2 or 3 of the biggest new releases and a handful of Disney animation, and that's it.
Interesting - the ones here are still carrying everything that's being mentioned in the Costco thread in the Bargains forum.
Old 03-25-13, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Just curious - who besides Best Buy is reducing in store Blu-ray stock? Not Fry's - they just expanded their section again. Not Target, they have as much as they've had the past few years. Walmart? Maybe - I don't go there a lot. Who else? Costco? Nope they have the same amount they usually do.
Target. Wal-Mart.

All of this can even be found over at the Blu-ray.com forums
Every retailer has reduced stock. If you don't see it...well....
Old 03-25-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Target. Wal-Mart.

All of this can even be found over at the Blu-ray.com forums
Every retailer has reduced stock. If you don't see it...well....
I'm not seeing it at my Targets....so just because you are...well....

And no not EVERY retailer has. Yet more hyperbole from you, but what else is new.
Old 03-25-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Barnes & Noble: Many stores have eliminated their optical media departments outright.

Borders: I used to get lost in their DVD stacks for hours back in the day. Deep, deeeep catalog to search through, with many rare gems to be found. These days, not so much.

Circuitous City: well....
Old 03-25-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah Borders was great in its heyday. I don't think Best Buy should be used as a barometer for physical media sales since their business model is failing for a number of reasons.

The Targets around here still have a full aisle dedicated to Blu-rays in addition to the endcap stuff. And Target is notoriously stingy with their shelf space and have little patience for stuff that isn't moving.
Old 03-25-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

I haven't seen reductions at my local stores either (Best Buy, Target, Fry's). While they've certainly cut down their DVDs from about 6 years ago - they ALL have WAY more blu-rays on hand from 1 or 2 years ago. My local Best Buy has actually UPPED their BD quite a bit, especially with Criterions.
Old 03-25-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consumers not being interested in discs anymore is driving the price down. All of those sealed DVDs probably haunt them.
I've said it many times. The joy of collecting just vanished one day when I looked on the shelf and saw how much unopened crap I had sitting there. Stuff that I thought I got a great deal on was now worth 25˘
Old 03-25-13, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

I think whether or not we are seeing a reduction of physical media in retail stores largely depends on where you live.

I live in the greater Vancouver area and there are no more stand-alone CD stores just electronic giants that carry DVDs, Blu-ray and CDs. Even in these stores, movie sections have certainly been downsized in the last few years.

If you travel an hour out of town to smaller cities and you'll notice larger sections for physical media. I guess the larger cities are downsizing physical media because;

a) the price per square foot for stores in large cities is expensive so they only want to fill it with highly profitable items.

b) occupants of larger cities tend to be more tech savvy for downloading and streaming. Some really small towns still rent VHS!

c) occupants in large cities tend to live in tiny spaces with no room for collecting movies, books, CDs etc.
Old 03-25-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Barnes & Noble: Many stores have eliminated their optical media departments outright.

Borders: I used to get lost in their DVD stacks for hours back in the day. Deep, deeeep catalog to search through, with many rare gems to be found. These days, not so much.

Circuitous City: well....
Your B&N and Borders sound the opposite of mine. The B&Ns here still have the same amount of floorspace for optical media and the percentage of it dedicated to Blu-Ray has consistently gone up. When they were still around, the Borders here always sucked with DVDs & Blu-rays, but had extensive and diverse CD sections.

And that's the thing. As orangerunner pointed out, this stuff varies tremendously by market. There may well be an overall trend of less aggregate retail floorspace in the country dedicated to optical media, but locally observed examples hardly constitute proof. Around Indianapolis, Best Buy carries more BDs total, but less variety of titles than they used to. DVD & CD have both shrunk enough to notice, but not crazily. Walmarts here have mostly slightly increased BD sections, with the same total areas for optical media. Targets seem to have left their sections exactly the same for 2-3 years in terms of size and allocation of space. Fry's has the same overall optical media section, with BDs taking up a steadily increasing amount of it. My hunch would be that the overall trend is downward in terms of retail space allocated to optical media, including BDs. Around here, though, I can see only some small evidence of the former, and none of the latter.
Old 03-25-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know maxfisher, you're not helping with your even-handed and logical post. Blu-ray is teh suck and it's dying because I say it is!!!!11!1!!!1!
Old 03-25-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't noticed a reduction at the Targets in my city.
Old 03-25-13, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And no not EVERY retailer has. Yet more hyperbole from you, but what else is new.
I know my Target has more BR now than in the years past.
Old 03-25-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just some curious numbers on DVD sales below...

2011 - Only one DVD title that was sold in 2011 has sold over $100 Million
-Tangled $102,607,712 (6,684,772 DVD Sold)

2012 - 3 DVD Titles that started in 2012 has sold over the $100 million mark
-The Hunger Games $125,519,250 (7,570,431 DVD Sold) Amazing numbers considering current markets
-Brave $104,206,311 (6,175,260 DVD Sold)
-The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1 $100,440,259 (5,544,310 DVD Sold)

Pixar and "Romantic Teen Adventures" (Lionsgate/Summit) seem to sell well on DVD
Old 03-25-13, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Pixar and "Romantic Teen Adventures" (Lionsgate/Summit) seem to sell well on DVD
Annoying correction! Tangled wasn't Pixar. ...but your point remains.
Old 03-25-13, 09:49 PM
Suspended

You won't see it if you are wearing blue blockers.

No, really.

Target has reduced the space dedicated to Optical media (movies) while increasing Videogames/cellphones/tablets/Apple. Most stores had a redesign over the past 24 months. It's been well discussed on various forums - including Blu-ray.com, the #1 Blu-ray fansite in the world.

So yes, EVERY retailer has reduced space. Why would any retailer increase space to a medium that is losing billions each year (DVD), while the other "new" medium (Blu-ray) is increasing a little bit (mainly because of forced SKU's and/or bundle deals). It's stupid. Blu-ray couldn't even garner a 10% increase YoY. That's not something retailers will want. It would be like Target suddenly increasing shelf space to the Vita and shrinking the 3DS. They go with what sells.

Wal-Mart = REDUCED
Target = REDUCED
Best Buy = REDUCED (even saying so a few weeks ago). Oh, they don't even manage their movies anymore, the Anderson group does.
Costco = REDUCED. Mine now has a few of the new titles and whatever junk they can get cheap from MGM/Sony.

You should be excited for my posting. That means Blu-ray isn't selling so well because people just can't find anything! Instead, you are saying retailers are stocking more Blu-rays yet sales can't even increase double digits YoY.

I mean, gees, most studios can't even be bothered to release their own catalog anymore. Even Paramount has farmed out most of it to Warner. You think that's good news for Blu-ray? That Paramount won't even bother?
Old 03-25-13, 09:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Target has drastically reduced the space of CDs and increased the space of blu-rays. The media department as a whole has stayed the same size. I'm not wearing blu blockers. My source: Me. I shop there every week.
Old 03-25-13, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Texan26
Target has drastically reduced the space of CDs and increased the space of blu-rays. The media department as a whole has stayed the same size. I'm not wearing blu blockers. My source: Me. I shop there every week.
Mine reduced from three sections to two. Source: Me

CDs have been all but gone for years. People still buy those things?
Old 03-25-13, 10:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You must have a shitty small Target. Is it a Super Target? All my Targets near me are the Super Targets variety and i have noticed more blu-ray space since one year ago. All of them now have a $5 and $7.50 four foot sections. More endcaps dedicated to blu-rays and the space in the Action, comedy, drama, tv shows etc.. blu-ray sections have increased.
Old 03-26-13, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

See, now I think you're lying just to be contrary. I'm in So.Cal. as well (OC) and all the Targets around me have more blu-rays than ever and just as many CDs as they've ever had (which was never all that much).
Old 03-26-13, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

I mean, gees, most studios can't even be bothered to release their own catalog anymore. Even Paramount has farmed out most of it to Warner. You think that's good news for Blu-ray? That Paramount won't even bother?
Even Sony, chief pom-pom waver and inventor of Blu-ray, has farmed out several of their catalogue titles to Mill Creek.
Old 03-26-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
See, now I think you're lying just to be contrary. I'm in So.Cal. as well (OC) and all the Targets around me have more blu-rays than ever and just as many CDs as they've ever had (which was never all that much).
Agreed, there's 4 Targets in my area and all of them have not reduced the size of the Blu-ray section, and in fact probably added some displays on end caps as well as a small family section within the last year.
Old 03-26-13, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't noticed a reduction at any of the Target stores near here either. Perhaps the "media" section is smaller, with space dedicated to tablets and the such, but I'd say that Target's space has been fairly consistent for quite a while.

Walmart ebbs and flows. That $7.88 bin is new in the past year though, so that is hardly floorspace contraction.

Best Buy just stinks. They are a leader in this marketspace though, so anything they do needs to be paid attention to. But as has been pointed out, they are not managing this themselves anymore.

I think that BD isn't the cash cow DVD was because consumers have been conditioned to value media less than before due to all those great prices on DVD. I definitely fall into this category. Aside from my most favorite of favorites, I can wait on most things until I find them at $10 or less.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.