Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 06-09-24, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 352 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

You gotta be f’in kidding.
Old 06-09-24, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,316 Posts

It’s a factor of what just came out. The Beekeeper is at #2 and selling mostly on DVD at this point. Bluey, Paw Patrol, and No Way Up were DVD-only (right?). Kung Fu Panda did better than I would’ve thought on BD/UHD, Arthur the King (?) was mostly DVD, the Bob Marley bio-pic was half DVD, and the Beetlejuice reissue was almost entirely DVD.

The numbers are so small that it probably doesn’t take a lot for a really wild swing.
The following users liked this post:
Tom Pennock (06-16-24)
Old 06-09-24, 03:23 PM

Beetlejuice reissue? So a 30+ year old movie was reissued and people chose to buy it on the lowest quality format available? I already have the old DVD, if I were to buy this movie again I’d obviously want the 4k.
Old 06-09-24, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,280 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Beetlejuice reissue? So a 30+ year old movie was reissued and people chose to buy it on the lowest quality format available? I already have the old DVD, if I were to buy this movie again I’d obviously want the 4k.
And you keep missing the point that the majority of the population are not film enthusiasts that care about having it in the best possible format. DVD is good enough for 98% of the population.
Tom Pennock (06-16-24)
Old 06-09-24, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Beetlejuice reissue? So a 30+ year old movie was reissued and people chose to buy it on the lowest quality format available?
The DVD looks to be $5 at Walmart right now, so that could’ve tipped the scales.

Another note; while Kung-Fu Panda 4 did about 40% of its business on DVD, the 4-movie collection (also in the top 10 for the week) was 95% DVD.
Old 06-16-24, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 06-16-24, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
We're nearing sales levels when it won't be profitable for a Hollywood studio to release anything on UHD other than the biggest blockbusters in select genres.
You would think, but I continue to be amazed at the depth of catalog announced every day on the other forum.
Old 06-16-24, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 942 Likes on 655 Posts

DVD's making a comeback. DVD is the new vinyl.
Old 06-26-24, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 06-26-24, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Unsurprisingly, Godzilla x Kong led the week, with a split of 38% BD, 37% DVD, and 25% UHD. Dune: Part 2 and The Beekeeper continue to hold near the top of the charts, bumped down one spot each.

At #4, the week’s next highest new release is Immaculate, outsold around 18:1 by Godzilla x Kong.
Old 06-27-24, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
At #4, the week’s next highest new release is Immaculate, outsold around 18:1 by Godzilla x Kong.
#4 outsold by #1 by 18:1. Man, that is a steep drop and shows the lack of depth in the current optical disc Universe.
Old 06-27-24, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

It's tough because new theatrical releases are basically always at the top of the charts, and there are just so few blockbuster-types of note recently.

We should see some movement in the report the week after next with Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. But it'll probably be pretty quiet afterwards until IF and Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes in August. (Civil War and The Boy and the Heron could make a splash in July, but probably to a lesser extent.)

I wouldn't say the problem is lack of depth. But I could imagine that the people taking most advantage of the depth aren't ordering from retailers tracked by VideoScan. The mass retail market, such as it is, gravitates towards blockbusters, horror, and kid/family-friendly fare. The only boutique I quasi-regularly see in these reports is Shout (Digimon in the most recent report; Killer Klowns on the week of 5/18; Darkman on the week of 2/24). Other charting boutique labels year-to-date are Kino Lorber (Nostalghia on the week of 4/27), Discotek (Berserk on the week of 3/30), Crunchyroll (Suzume on the week of 3/16), and Arrow (the Conan double feature on the week of 2/24). Shout's the only one to show up more than once.
Old 06-27-24, 03:38 PM

Is there any ranking of top retailers these days? I know Walmart sells the most now, just because they’re still everywhere. Their selection still sucks compared to what it used to be, but other stores suck even more.
Old 06-27-24, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Is there any ranking of top retailers these days?
The split as of around October 2023 was 45% Walmart, 18% Amazon, 6% Target, and 4% Best Buy, but that has obviously changed.
PhantomStranger (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 894 Likes on 755 Posts

Is there any ranking of top retailers these days? I know Walmart sells the most now, just because they’re still everywhere. Their selection still sucks compared to what it used to be, but other stores suck even more.
And we really don't know the numbers for labels selling directly to consumers à la Shout Factory, Vinegar Syndrome and Kino-Lorber. Wouldn't surprise me if they are doing 40-50% of their sales outside traditional retailers.
Old 06-28-24, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My disc spending is a shadow of what it once was, but when I do buy I buy mostly from Bull Moose, Hamilton Book, Diabolik, and B&N.
Old 06-29-24, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 856 Likes on 628 Posts

This isn't good. Sony is cutting 250 jobs from its recordable media hub and will gradually stop producing physical media. https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0bu/018000c
Old 06-29-24, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Though that’s about BD-R and DVD-R media rather than pressed physical media. I know there’s that one sentence at the bottom about all optical media from unnamed sources, but I’m not sure how much credence to give it. Sony’s shifted a lot of production to third parties anyway, and it’s hard to imagine this having a meaningful impact on their deals with Disney, Lionsgate, etc.
Old 06-29-24, 04:21 PM

Wondering how hard blank discs will be to find eventually? I panic-ordered a stack of 2-sided blank DVD-Rs from the United Arab Emerates last year since that was the only one in the world I could find.
Old 06-29-24, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hollywood never liked writeable DVD and BD tech anyway. Didn't give them enough control over their content. Not surprising they are quietly gutting support.
Old 06-29-24, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,954 Likes on 2,019 Posts

Recordable blu-ray never caught on for whatever reason. Some people might see a conspiracy by Hollywood, but the simple fact is that CD-R, DVD-R, and recordable blu-ray aren't very good storage mediums with limited appeal to the public.

Hard to believe, but there was a time when a single CD-ROM held more data than a typical hard drive. This day and age, with hard drive capacities in the terabytes, there's little use for recordable optical media. It's even kind of pointless burning music CDs or video DVDs since it's easier to just play .mp3, .mp4, or .mkv files from a server or USB stick plugged directly into your tv, player, or stereo. You can burn a few hours of video to a DVD-R to play in your DVD player, or you can store hundreds of hours of video on a single inexpensive USB-drive. Recordable optical discs have gone the way of the floppy disk, simply because there are better storage options.

New computers don't even come with optical drives anymore. (I do sort of wish they did, because they're good to have if you need them.)

I haven't burned a DVD in ages; I've burned a few audio CDs for people to play in portable CD players, and I've burned a couple of boot/repair CDs for my old laptop. But that's about it for the past fifteen or twenty years.
BuckNaked2k (06-30-24)
Old 06-30-24, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Recordable blu-ray never caught on for whatever reason. Some people might see a conspiracy by Hollywood, but the simple fact is that CD-R, DVD-R, and recordable blu-ray aren't very good storage mediums with limited appeal to the public.
The big issue was neither Microsoft nor Apple officially supported the format which limited it right out of the gate.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
. Hard to believe, but there was a time when a single CD-ROM held more data than a typical hard drive. This day and age, with hard drive capacities in the terabytes, there's little use for recordable optical media. It's even kind of pointless burning music CDs or video DVDs since it's easier to just play .mp3, .mp4, or .mkv files from a server or USB stick plugged directly into your tv, player, or stereo. You can burn a few hours of video to a DVD-R to play in your DVD player, or you can store hundreds of hours of video on a single inexpensive USB-drive. Recordable optical discs have gone the way of the floppy disk, simply because there are better storage options.
For the longest time smaller amounts of data on DVD-Rs were the cheapest option: 4.7GB = $.50 / disc. Even today a cheap 64GB USB stick is roughly the same cost-per-GB and it's still debatable how long USB sticks last and how fragile they are when it comes to data corruption.

Legal entities often use physical discs because the content cannot be erased, changed or altered making them more reputable as evidence in court or as a permanent record. Content on discs are much less likely to be hacked or compromised unlike cloud services or hard drives.

But for the casual user, I agree USBs and hard drives are more user-friendly and convenient.
PhantomStranger (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24, 06:22 AM

I’ve been keeping all my old TV recordings digitized on hard drives and playing them through my Oppo player, but I still want to put them on DVD in order to properly chapter them. All I can do with the hard drives is scan to the points I want to see or enter the time if I know it.
Old 07-01-24, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 327 Posts

I’ve been keeping all my old TV recordings digitized on hard drives and playing them through my Oppo player, but I still want to put them on DVD in order to properly chapter them. All I can do with the hard drives is scan to the points I want to see or enter the time if I know it.
Both MP4 and MKV support adding chapter markers, and many software players support using them.
Old 07-01-24, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't use it anymore but I still have a fabulous standalone Pioneer DVD writer which worked wonderfully for me. I burned a ton of stuff you legally can't find on DVD, including a ton of vintage games from ESPN Classic which rarely circulate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.