Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 08-25-23, 11:24 PM
  #6501  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,398
Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Just saw that Vinegar Syndrome is discontinuing standard DVDs (most of their releases have been Blu-ray anyways) and all existing ones will be going out of print. And this is a company that puts out mostly “sleazy” titles that one could argue “don’t need” higher quality, yet as these are bought more by enthusiasts than the Walmart crowd it seems they have spoken.
Old 08-26-23, 03:14 AM
  #6502  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 137
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Just poked around the vinegar syndrome website and, unless I’m just not finding them, it looks like they got rid of all their adult releases.
Old 08-26-23, 04:04 AM
  #6503  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,107
Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Just saw that Vinegar Syndrome is discontinuing standard DVDs (most of their releases have been Blu-ray anyways) and all existing ones will be going out of print. And this is a company that puts out mostly “sleazy” titles that one could argue “don’t need” higher quality, yet as these are bought more by enthusiasts than the Walmart crowd it seems they have spoken.
How often do Vinegar Syndrome titles show up at Wallmart in the first place? As far as I can remember, I have never seen any at the local wallymarts. (Not even the locations with a larger sized selection).

So if it is the hardcore crowd mostly buying Vinegar Syndrome and very few (or zero) casual folks, then eliminating the dvd version likely wouldn't make much of a difference to Vinegar Syndrome's bottom line.

Old 08-26-23, 09:16 AM
  #6504  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,658
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by WeeBey
Just poked around the vinegar syndrome website and, unless I’m just not finding them, it looks like they got rid of all their adult releases.
They recently split those off onto a sister label: Mélusine.
The following users liked this post:
WeeBey (08-27-23)
Old 09-02-23, 03:00 PM
  #6505  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,658
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts


By comparison, the biggest box office performers the week covered here are Asteroid City and The Machine, versus Jurassic World: Dominion and The Black Phone the same week last year. Box office power is down literally 90.14% year-over-year.
Old 09-05-23, 10:00 AM
  #6506  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,144
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
By comparison, the biggest box office performers the week covered here are Asteroid City and The Machine, versus Jurassic World: Dominion and The Black Phone the same week last year. Box office power is down literally 90.14% year-over-year.
So how are things looking for the rest of the year? As someone who is only peripherally familiar with current movies, I'm only aware of Barbie and Oppenheimer as box office heavyweights. Anything else on the horizon coming out on disc before Xmas?
Old 09-05-23, 10:13 AM
  #6507  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,658
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
So how are things looking for the rest of the year? As someone who is only peripherally familiar with current movies, I'm only aware of Barbie and Oppenheimer as box office heavyweights. Anything else on the horizon coming out on disc before Xmas?
I'm in the same boat, but looking at upcoming releases, The Nun II (which hits theaters this weekend) looks like the biggest movie beyond Barbie and Oppenheimer that could hit home video before the holidays. Looking at upcoming theatrical releases, the other ones that strike me as surefire seismic hits aren't slated until November or December.

As far as movies that have come and gone in theaters but aren't reflected in these charts yet, we also have Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, which comes out today. The Little Mermaid comes out later this month. Transformers: Rise of the Beasts comes out next month. Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning should be out before the end of the year. Ditto for Elementals.

There are some contenders for a Black Phone-style success, but those are harder to predict. No shortage of horror over the next couple of months -- that's for sure -- and those movies have been doing really well at the box office.
Old 09-05-23, 10:17 AM
  #6508  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,144
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm in the same boat, but looking at upcoming releases, The Nun II (which hits theaters this weekend) looks like the biggest movie that could hit home video before the holidays. Looking at upcoming theatrical releases, the other ones that strike me as surefire seismic hits aren't slated until November or December.
Flower Moon to be released Oct 20. Probably still in theaters come Christmas.
Old 09-06-23, 03:00 PM
  #6509  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,658
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Old 09-07-23, 01:17 AM
  #6510  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,522
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,807 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Dippin' below $20M. Ouch.

If we're looking at the revenue hanging around $20M, then it's probably safe to assume that they're moving about one million units per week. Considering all of the titles available and the three formats that's spread across, those are some paltry numbers.
Old 09-07-23, 09:26 AM
  #6511  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,107
Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Dippin' below $20M. Ouch.

If we're looking at the revenue hanging around $20M, then it's probably safe to assume that they're moving about one million units per week. Considering all of the titles available and the three formats that's spread across, those are some paltry numbers.
They key word here is "revenue".

Do these $ figures take account of returns to the distributor or even the movie studio outright ?

I noticed even at wallyworld, quite a lot of "new releases" rarely stay on the shelves/racks for more than a few weeks to a month after the release date.
Old 09-07-23, 03:06 PM
  #6512  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 8,054
Received 422 Likes on 289 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by morriscroy
They key word here is "revenue".

Do these $ figures take account of returns to the distributor or even the movie studio outright ?

I noticed even at wallyworld, quite a lot of "new releases" rarely stay on the shelves/racks for more than a few weeks to a month after the release date.
The Media Play News charts are based on Nielsen VideoScan numbers, which tracks actual customer sales at the Points of Sale. So, I think returns of unsold inventory that you describe would not affect the numbers in the charts.
The following users liked this post:
morriscroy (09-07-23)
Old 09-07-23, 03:10 PM
  #6513  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 78,333
Received 3,467 Likes on 2,494 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/ingram...disc-business/

Ingram Entertainment is getting out of physical media. I never heard of this company. Did they distribute major studio product? Just glancing at the article is sounds like they were a wholesaler.

Old 09-07-23, 03:36 PM
  #6514  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 137
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Just realized The Numbers tracks home video sales. Interesting to see the figures pre Covid to now (2019 vs 2022).

This is DVD and BD combined.












Here’s 2023 so far:


Old 09-07-23, 03:44 PM
  #6515  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,658
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by DJariya
Ingram Entertainment is getting out of physical media. I never heard of this company. Did they distribute major studio product? Just glancing at the article is sounds like they were a wholesaler.
I just got a delivery via Ingram today! They do a lot of stuff on behalf of retailers; the Target order I got a few minutes ago (Sleepy Hollow and Across the Spider-Verse) was fulfilled by Ingram.

When you order a movie from a major retailer other than Amazon (Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, Target, Deep Discount, Movies Unlimited, GRUV, even Criterion), it's almost always Alliance or Ingram who's actually fulfilling the order.
Old 09-07-23, 04:00 PM
  #6516  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,107
Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by DJariya
Ingram Entertainment is getting out of physical media. I never heard of this company. Did they distribute major studio product? Just glancing at the article is sounds like they were a wholesaler.
I didn't know they were in the physical media distribution business.

Back in the 2000s decade, there was an Ingram that was a regional book distributor.
Old 09-07-23, 04:59 PM
  #6517  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,522
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,807 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by WeeBey


The 2023 list doesn't seem to have the same kind of big brands that the 2022 list does... Spiderman, Jurassic World, Dune, Batman, Ghostbusters...

Weird that Black Adam is sitting up there at #1, but there aren't any Marvel movies on the list. Surely one or two of them came out on disc this year?

But it's still crazy the the #1 title this year hasn't even sold half of the #10 title from last year.

Inflation has probably cut into sales a lot here. People are being more careful with their discretionary income, so when it comes to movies they're probably more likely to just wait until they can stream something for free than instead of buying a disc.




Old 09-07-23, 05:09 PM
  #6518  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,144
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

What a crapfest of films, lol.
The following users liked this post:
sleepyhead55 (09-09-23)
Old 09-07-23, 05:45 PM
  #6519  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,658
Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Weird that Black Adam is sitting up there at #1, but there aren't any Marvel movies on the list. Surely one or two of them came out on disc this year?
Who knows how reliable these numbers are? Maybe they’re estimates, maybe they’re incomplete…dunno how much stock to put in ‘em.

But as for Marvel movies, there have been two so far this year on home video: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
Old 09-07-23, 06:16 PM
  #6520  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,522
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,807 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
But as for Marvel movies, there have been two so far this year on home video: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
Yeah, I knew there had to be one or two, but I barely keep track of release dates these days. Wasn't sure if GOTG3 had come out yet or not since they get released digitally before discs these days.

Even if folks didn't like Quantumania, I have a hard time believing it's moved less than 15% of Black Adam.
Old 09-07-23, 07:30 PM
  #6521  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 137
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

I shouldn’t have posted the 2023 chart. I see now that it is a work in progress and not updated with regularity throughout the year. The 2019 and 2022 charts are more instructive.


Heres the methodology:

Our DVD and Blu-ray sales estimates are based on weekly retail surveys, which we use to build a weekly market share estimate for each title we are tracking. The market share is converted into a weekly sales estimate based on industry reports on the overall size of the market, including reports published in Media Play News.

For example, if our weekly retail survey estimates that a particular title sold 1% of all units that week, and the industry reports sales of 1,500,000 units in total, we will estimate 15,000 units were sold of that title. The consumer spending estimate is based on the average sales price for the title in the retailers we survey.

We refine our estimates from week to week as more data becomes available. In particular, we adjust weekly sales figures for the quarter once the total market estimates are published by the Digital Entertainment Group. Figures will therefore fluctuate each week, and totals for individual titles can go up or down as we update our estimates.

Because sales figures are estimated based on sampling, they will be more accurate for higher-selling titles.
Old 09-07-23, 07:42 PM
  #6522  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 17,096
Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

The drop from 2019 to 2022 is pretty alarming as it is.
Old 09-07-23, 08:38 PM
  #6523  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
lwhy?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nashville and Crossville, TN
Posts: 9,679
Received 794 Likes on 584 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Are people buying digital movies or just streaming on subscription services? I'm curious what the numbers for digital copies are compared to DVD and Blu-ray. I did a quick google search and could only find a list of the top sellers and not the actual dollar amounts.
Old 09-07-23, 08:55 PM
  #6524  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,269
Received 770 Likes on 645 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

With Ingram dropping out of physical media, expect Target's B2G1 sales to become even more mediocre in selection.

I think many are perfectly content subscribing to a couple movie services and calling it a day. The studios may also prefer that model over pure digital sales thanks to many onerous licensing and royalty deals they've signed over the years with talent.
Old 09-07-23, 09:27 PM
  #6525  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,107
Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think many are perfectly content subscribing to a couple movie services and calling it a day. The studios may also prefer that model over pure digital sales thanks to many onerous licensing and royalty deals they've signed over the years with talent.
What exactly is more onerous about disc media licensing + royalties?

(ie. Besides music licensing issues in region 1 or A).

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.