Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 08-04-23, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 770 Likes on 645 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Did all HD-DVDs eventually rot? Are they now all coasters?
Old 08-04-23, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 422 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Not all of them, but a disproportionately high percentage of them rotted.
Old 08-04-23, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I have a few DVDs from Mexico that are only coded for region 4, not 1.

A lot of recent US titles have been coded for both regions 1 and 4 though, mainly from Paramount.
If I had to guess, were these only-region4 dvd discs only had spanish and no english?

I only have one dvd which appears to be from Mexico, where the packaging was not in english. It was a movie released by Sony in 2006, where it was coded for region 1, region 4, and possibly another region (iirc region 3). (I would have to go through storage to find this dvd again).

In terms of other regions, I came across some region 2 and 3 dvd discs at thrift shops. Not surprisingly, the region2 discs' video appeared to be consistent with PAL specs and not NTSC.

The strange thing about the few region3 dvd discs I found, was that there was no encryption on them. (The latter had chinese looking writing on the packaging, which were largely forgettable movies). So the computer dvd player program could play them without any hacks.

When I went there a few years ago, it was the first time I’d been in a place outside region 1 since DVDs were invented so I made sure to check the players in stores for the region 4 symbols.
In practice, I found region symbols on the front bezel were not always reliable. Back in the day, I encountered some no-name made-in-china el-cheapo dvd players which did not have any region restrictions set at the factory. It was purchased at a then-local discount retailer, which carried $35 dvd players in those days.
Old 08-04-23, 11:04 AM

If Warner, Paramount, etc ... were manufacturing these hd-dvd discs at the now close down Cinram disc manufacturing plant at Olyphant, Pennsylvania, then this seems to be a consistent problem for discs manufactured there during the 2000s decade. Just take a look at various dvd disc rot threads where Warner dvd discs manufactured at Cinram are frequently mentioned as having this issue.

Discs manufactured at Cirnam's Olyphant plant, will have IFPI 2U** etched in the first transparent inner ring away from the center of the disc (where ** are alphanumeric wild cards).
Old 08-04-23, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

Paramount used Technicolor in Mexico for their HD-DVDs as did Universal, so most of their discs have been safe from rot. Cinram mainly did the Warner titles along with some from Magnolia, Rhino and some Eagle Vision music titles. I had every US title at one point before I knew about the rot problem, I replaced the discs that had rotted but most of those replacements ALSO rotted so I’ve just given up at this point.
Old 08-04-23, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy
If I had to guess, were these only-region4 dvd discs only had spanish and no english?
No, most English-language movies have their native language on every disc in all regions. I know I’ve got the DVD of Moonraker from Mexico which defaults to English when played.

A lot of Sony titles are coded for regions 1, 3 and 4 even if the cover just shows region 1, if they have Portuguese and Thai languages then they’re coded for these regions and will
show different copyright warnings before the movie depending on what region the player is set to. A lot of Blu-rays behave the same way.
The following users liked this post:
morriscroy (08-04-23)
Old 08-04-23, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Not all of them, but a disproportionately high percentage of them rotted.
There were around 500 releases in America and you think a high percent of them just rotted?
Old 08-04-23, 12:21 PM

No, most English-language movies have their native language on every disc in all regions. I know I’ve got the DVD of Moonraker from Mexico which defaults to English when played.
What type of dvd titles did you encounter, which was encoded for only region 4 and not region 1? Did this include american/uk english language films ?
Old 08-04-23, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

I owned about 310 HD-DVDs at one point which I purchased on the cheap well after they discontinued the format. Warner titles were the only consistent ones which rotted although I still have about thirty or so which seem to be fine (as of two years ago when I scrolled through the chapter stops on each disc). I think Troy (theatrical cut) is about the only Warner title not readily available on Blu-ray.

I bought them 13 years ago so I've resigned to the fact they may or may not play.
Old 08-07-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Old 08-09-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 08-18-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 08-19-23, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a story going around suggesting Walmart has made an offer to the studios taking over all of their physical media distribution. Not sure how it would work, indicates to me Walmart's primary competitors in the space like Target are about to drop out of physical media altogether.
Old 08-19-23, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,496 Posts

Guardians 3 helping BD sales?

Has anyone in this forum purchased Guardians 3 yet on 4K/BD? Or are you just watching on Disney + until the disc gets cheaper?

I know most in this forum don't want to pay new release week prices for big IP new releases, but there seems to be a good chunk that still does.

According to Media Play news, Fast X and Guardians 3 were the top selling 4Ks and BDs for the week ending the 12th.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/resear...ended-8-12-23/
Old 08-19-23, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

There's a story going around suggesting Walmart has made an offer to the studios taking over all of their physical media distribution. Not sure how it would work, indicates to me Walmart's primary competitors in the space like Target are about to drop out of physical media altogether.
I’ve read a version of the story on Cord Cutters News that said this, but I believe they’ve misinterpreted the situation.

Unless I’m misreading the reporting by Media Play News, it sounds like Walmart sought out Studio Distribution Services (the joint Universal/Warner venture) to help manage Walmart’s home video business — not that Walmart is taking over the studios’ home video business.
Old 08-21-23, 06:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

What? Walmart barely has physical media as-is besides new releases, some evergreen titles and “complete series”. It’s basically half an aisle, which I guess is decent in 2023, but why?
Old 08-21-23, 06:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
What? Walmart barely has physical media as-is besides new releases, some evergreen titles and “complete series”. It’s basically half an aisle, which I guess is decent in 2023, but why?
I think that’s precisely the point. Walmart reduced their disc footprint by 20% last year but they still make up 45% of disc sales in the US. They have all the leverage. They don’t want to spend resources managing that inventory anymore so they’re tossing it over to the disc manufacturers to manage, ship, and distribute. Walmart saves cash and SDS is left managing the decline of the disc business the best they can.

The reason to do this rather than discontinue discs altogether is that, although the business is in decline, 45% of the US market is still worth quite a bit today (nearly a billion dollars). This also explains why SDS doesn’t really have a choice. Without Walmart the disc business is decimated.

Last edited by WeeBey; 08-21-23 at 07:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 06:58 PM

That would be bad also as they probably wouldn’t handle any NC-17 rated titles, although there were a few on Vudu when Walmart owned them.
Old 08-21-23, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,163 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Guardians 3 helping BD sales?

Has anyone in this forum purchased Guardians 3 yet on 4K/BD? Or are you just watching on Disney + until the disc gets cheaper?

I know most in this forum don't want to pay new release week prices for big IP new releases, but there seems to be a good chunk that still does.

According to Media Play news, Fast X and Guardians 3 were the top selling 4Ks and BDs for the week ending the 12th.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/resear...ended-8-12-23/

That's what I'm doing, but I haven't even touched the D+ stream since I'm watching other stuff.
Old 08-21-23, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by DJariya
I pre-ordered it, but only because it was eligible for a B2G1F sale from Target. That’s more than I can say for Quantumania, which I only just got around to picking up.

Off the top of my head, I’m not sure the last fresh-out-of-theaters movie I bought on day one without some kind of coupon, B2G1F-style offer, or gift cards/reward points. That used to be standard practice for me, but I have a big enough backlog right now that there just isn’t much rush.
Old 08-23-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 08-23-23, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 920 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by WeeBey
I think that’s precisely the point. Walmart reduced their disc footprint by 20% last year but they still make up 45% of disc sales in the US. They have all the leverage. They don’t want to spend resources managing that inventory anymore so they’re tossing it over to the disc manufacturers to manage, ship, and distribute. Walmart saves cash and SDS is left managing the decline of the disc business the best they can.

The reason to do this rather than discontinue discs altogether is that, although the business is in decline, 45% of the US market is still worth quite a bit today (nearly a billion dollars). This also explains why SDS doesn’t really have a choice. Without Walmart the disc business is decimated.
Maybe Wal-Mart will have them keep the areas organized as well.

I don't go into many Wal-Marts very often but when I do, I usually check out the media area and they are always a complete and utter disorganized mess at every Wal-Mart I have ever been in. It used to not by that way in the glory years but now shit is just strewn and thrown everywhere. I don't know how anyone would actually find anything if they were looking for something specific.
Old 08-23-23, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

I really wish Wal-Mart would quit putting their media in the dump-bins. Especially when 95% of the media are placed in the flimsy and delicate eco-cases, the trap sheet covers and cases just take a beating. Dump bins just encourage customers to rough-house the goods and toss them around. Socks are fine for a dump bin, but not with media.
Old 08-23-23, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never particularly liked how Walmart arranged their media section. Best Buy always did that better.
Old 08-24-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Depends on the store.

At least as of last year, one Walmart near me had a huge selection of DVDs and blu-rays. Biggest one I've seen in years. At least ten twenty-foot shelving units in the middle of the electronics section. The Walmart nearest me, the one I usually shop at, is down to a small selection of new releases, bargain titles, and "complete series."

In a sheer coincidence, I'll be going to that other Walmart next week and see if anything has changed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.