Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 06-27-23, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 937 Likes on 653 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by PerryD
That's the same one from the previous post
Hey, when the arrow is finally pointing up and is green - it deserves to be posted twice.
The following 3 users liked this post by Coral:
Alan Smithee (06-29-23), BobO'Link (07-03-23), morriscroy (07-01-23)
Old 06-29-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,312 Posts
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (06-30-23)
Old 06-29-23, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
After so much decline, things had to bounce (dead cat-bounce it may be).
Was is Avatar, Mario Bros, John Wick 4?
Old 06-29-23, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
*faints*
Old 06-29-23, 08:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
*faints*

I bought the Mario Movie 4K so you are welcome!
Old 06-30-23, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Huh, goes to show that popular titles that people want to own will actually sell.

Disney needs to sell me Blu-ray sets of The Mandalorian, Kenobi and Andor and that'll get that arrow pointed up.
Old 06-30-23, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Huh, goes to show that popular titles that people want to own will actually sell.
Yes, but just because the arrow went up - it doesn't negate the fact that fewer and fewer people are buying physical media.

If anything, this latest chart shows how badly it's declined since when comparing to the low numbers the same time last year, these popular titles only managed a 9% bump in revenue. This was set up as favorably as it could be, so the results are alarming IMO.
Old 07-01-23, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 199 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes, but just because the arrow went up - it doesn't negate the fact that fewer and fewer people are buying physical media.

If anything, this latest chart shows how badly it's declined since when comparing to the low numbers the same time last year, these popular titles only managed a 9% bump in revenue. This was set up as favorably as it could be, so the results are alarming IMO.
The best case scenario is that there's still enough sales to keep the disc manufacturing plants open, such as Technicolor in Guadalajara, Mexico (Universal, Warner, Disney/Fox, Lionsgate, Sony, etc ...) and BMG/Arvato in Guetersloh, North Rhine-Westphalia Germany (Paramount, european music/movie companies, etc ...).
Old 07-01-23, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Twilight Time's business model.
(On a tangent).

From an historical perspective, did Twilight Time recall/replace any defective discs which were manufactured at the notorious now-closed Technicolor/Cinram plant in Olyphant, Pennsylvania ?
Old 07-01-23, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
(On a tangent).

From an historical perspective, did Twilight Time recall/replace any defective discs which were manufactured at the notorious now-closed Technicolor/Cinram plant in Olyphant, Pennsylvania ?

Never knew they had issues with defective discs. I only own a handful of their releases and they played fine. I have their Christine and Talk Radio BDs (off the top of my head).
Old 07-01-23, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,896 Likes on 2,782 Posts

Hey I bought John Wick Chapter 4 week 1 for $27 and change. And I did see it twice in the theater. It's one of the few newer movies that I thought was worth picking up now than waiting until November/December for a possible price drop.
Old 07-01-23, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
You can't gaze lovingly at a digital copy or hold it in your arms.
The same can be said about audio cds, cassettes, vhs tapes, etc ....

If I was still a hardcore collector, the ideal objects of interest would be laserdiscs and vinyl records.
Old 07-04-23, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 888 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
The best case scenario is that there's still enough sales to keep the disc manufacturing plants open, such as Technicolor in Guadalajara, Mexico (Universal, Warner, Disney/Fox, Lionsgate, Sony, etc ...) and BMG/Arvato in Guetersloh, North Rhine-Westphalia Germany (Paramount, european music/movie companies, etc ...).
Physical media is still relatively healthy overseas and the movie studios there aren't abandoning discs completely. I have the feeling in a few years we'll see physical releases still being continued overseas even as they are dropped in North America.
Old 07-04-23, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Physical media is still relatively healthy overseas and the movie studios there aren't abandoning discs completely. I have the feeling in a few years we'll see physical releases still being continued overseas even as they are dropped in North America.
If the Technicolor Mexico plant is closed down, there will be no more reliable dvd/bluray/4Kbluray disc manufacturer in the western hemisphere. American movie companies will have to outsource to plants in North-Rhine Westphalia, Germany (BMG/Arvato) or Saltzburg, Austria (Sony DADC Europe GmbH), like what Paramount is already doing. (The other european disc manufacturing plants are not reliable).

If smaller movie companies can't afford to outsource to Germany/Austria, there isn't much options left other than maybe disc manufacturing plants in China. Production and/or shipping costs would be absolutely killer with disc manufacturing plants in Japan (Sony) or Victoria, Australia (Technicolor).

Old 07-05-23, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

It will be the death of physical media when there is no longer any financial incentive due to a lack of volume. The plants take-up a large piece of real estate and the pressing machines/printers are expensive to run and maintain. Availability of parts and those skilled enough to fix them is also a concern.
Old 07-05-23, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Old 07-05-23, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Wow, neat to see Blu do well over DVD.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (07-05-23)
Old 07-05-23, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Wow, neat to see Blu do well over DVD.
DVD still generated more revenue, and that's with BD and UHD priced higher... which means DVD has an even bigger unit-sales percentage (probably close to 65-70%).

The kicker is this week includes the release of Avatar 2 - the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time. That only translated to a 6.8% increase in BD sales and less than 1% increase in overall physical media sales.
It's hard to spin that into anything positive.
Old 07-05-23, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts

Thatís because they intentionally crippled Avatar by releasing it on digital a LONG time before the discs were even announced.
Old 07-05-23, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Thatís because they intentionally crippled Avatar by releasing it on digital a LONG time before the discs were even announced.
You're severely overestimating the impact of digital sales. Other big box office movies didn't move the needle for physical media sales all that much either.

Demand for physical media is dwindling because people would rather stream than own. It's as simple as that.
Old 07-05-23, 11:16 PM

It was even on subscription streaming before it was on disc.
Old 07-05-23, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,942 Likes on 2,011 Posts

Demand for physical media is dwindling because people would rather stream than own. It's as simple as that.
I suspect that most of the people who were buying up all of those DVDs fifteen to twenty-five years ago looked at all those discs that were sitting around their homes, thought of all of the money they spent on them, and how many of them they only watched once, and switched over to streaming and never looked back.

Myself, when I was in my early twenties, I really liked the idea of putting together a library of movie and tv shows that I could watch any time. But as I grew older, I noticed that there was so much new stuff coming out that I rarely watched my old discs outside of a very small percentage of them that had "replay" value. I'd rather watch something like Fellowship of the Ring or Star Trek The Motion Picture or The Empire Strikes Back or Raiders of the Lost Ark for the twentieth time than Run Lola Run or Being John Malkovich or Traffic for a second time. With television programming, it's even worse.

So I've become very selective about what I'll buy. I never buy anything the week it comes out. I'll wait a couple of years and ask myself if it's something I'll ever watch again, or if I really need it in my collection. Usually, the answer is NO. I'm at an age where I probably have more days behind me than I do in front of me, so time management is an issue.
Old 07-06-23, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ That's exactly it. Those who think people will continue to buy physical movies like they did in the early 2000s are dreaming. It was a fad. People thought it was cool to own the movie and created a collection, but the reality sunk in that it was a mistake for the most part. The money spent and the storage it takes up - all for something you would only watch once. Add the fact that streaming is more convenient and cheaper - it's a no-brainer.

This is a forum dedicated to home theatre/physical movie media (at least originally) and even most members here have greatly reduced their movie purchases. Hell, the amount of posts in the DVD and HD forums is a fraction of what it used to be.

It's been said over and over, but most stopped giving a crap about physical media. Consumers have the choice to buy movies still and just aren't doing it. The studios aren't sabotaging it (otherwise they'd completely stop releasing movies on physical media) - they're just reacting to consumer demand.
Old 07-06-23, 11:00 AM

The studios aren't sabotaging it (otherwise they'd completely stop releasing movies on physical media) - they're just reacting to consumer demand.
What else would you call releasing an A-list title exclusively on digital over two months before a disc is even announced? If they had come out the same day then that would be different- those who actually preferred digital would still buy it that way, but because of this unfair advantage of being available 2 months early many probably just caved and bought it on digital because that was their only choice.

Yes, disc sales are declining anyways. If the studios wanted to actually try to help that though, they could still give people a good reason to buy them and promote their superiority, but they havenít, in fact theyíve mostly done the opposite. Itís like when music sales started going south and record stores closed, yet the record labels have done little to nothing to even try and turn that around.
Old 07-06-23, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

So what's the reason that dvd outsells blueray every other week?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.