Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-23, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by TheBang
Well, the good news for you is that almost everything is available for digital purchase in lossless. Both Qobuz and 7Digital have almost everything that is available for streaming (almost 100 million tracks) also available for purchase in lossless quality. For newer releases they're also often available in high-res lossless (better than CD quality).

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/shop
https://us.7digital.com/
I took a look. Almost without exception I can purchase a CD of anything they offer for the same price or less which makes the CD a better choice simply because it provides a physical backup that's easier and less expensive to manage than digital backups. Kind of like what I mentioned about a BR - once they discount the product to account for no physical product, no transportation, etc. it'll become the preferred choice. Until then... it's good for those things where there *is* no physical product *or* things that are OOP and stupidly expensive for physical.

In spite of my negatives - I'll keep them in mind for those exceptions. Thanks!
Old 02-24-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Old 02-24-23, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

WB Discovery said their media sales were down something like $211 million for the last year in their quarterly earnings report.
Old 02-24-23, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,735 Likes on 1,888 Posts

One thing that I notice -- and I don't know if it's true or not -- is that it seems like there aren't as many movies released now as there were pre-pandemic. Saturday Night Live recently did a game show skit where one the questions was to name three movies from the past five years, and it occurred to me that it's actually kind of difficult to do.

So either there are fewer movies... and if seems like we're mostly seeing a big tentpole kind of movie released every other month or so, where five or ten years ago there was at least one notable movie coming out at least every week... or there just isn't a lot of enthusiasm over movies like there once was. Maybe it's down to streaming. Or maybe the shortening window between theatrical and home release has been narrowing. But it seems like the movie experience is just completely muddled between an increase in viewing options and decreasing release windows.

I also think that the pandemic accelerated the natural consumes' migration away from physical media and toward non-physical viewing, and when movies stopped being released it got people out of the habit of picking up discs quicker than it normally would have.

Though if I am correct and there are fewer movies (or at least fewer commercially viable ones) being released, it shouldn't be surprising that the sales are bottoming out.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-25-23 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-24-23, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Movies hit streaming so quickly these days that I think it seems like nothing sticks in the theaters except Marvel movies and the biggest blockbusters like Avatar.
Old 02-24-23, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

This graphic is from a few weeks ago. Seems like 4K is slowly getting closer to Blu-ray

Old 02-25-23, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This graphic is from a few weeks ago. Seems like 4K is slowly getting closer to Blu-ray
No, that's just an anomaly due to the release of Black Panther 2. All you have to do is look at the week before and the week after to see a more typical picture:

4K is a niche of a niche. We're already 7 years into the format; it's not going to surpass anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheBang:
BuckNaked2k (02-25-23), DJariya (02-25-23), Tom Pennock (02-26-23)
Old 02-25-23, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Movies hit streaming so quickly these days that I think it seems like nothing sticks in the theaters except Marvel movies and the biggest blockbusters like Avatar.
Heh.

What would make this absolutely definitive, is if Disney tries to buy up a large theater chain and the antitrust division of the american department of justice allows such a merger to proceed.
Old 02-25-23, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
One thing that I notice -- and I don't know if it's true or not -- is that it seems like there aren't as many movies released now as there were pre-pandemic. Saturday Night Live recently did a game show skit where one the questions was to name three movies from the past five years, and it occurred to me that it's actually kind of difficult to do.

So either there are fewer movies... and if seems like we're mostly seeing a big tentpole kind of movie released every other month or so, where five or ten years ago there was at least one notable movie coming out at least every week... or there just isn't a lot of enthusiasm over movies like there once was. Maybe it's down to streaming. Or maybe the shortening window between theatrical and home release has been narrowing. But it seems like the movie experience is just completely muddled between an increase in viewing options and decreasing release windows.
I couldn't answer this three movies question either at first, excluding the superhero / tentpole stuff. I had to google to jog my memory of what short lived movies were released in recent years before the pandemic.
Old 02-25-23, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I'm sure inflation plays a factor as well in faster declining sales as well. Rents, food prices, etc. increasing makes buying movies even more unnecessary than it currently is.

And if UHD starts taking more market share away from BD, it'll only be because of BD sales dropping... not really due to UHD sales increase.
Old 02-25-23, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

A lot of people don't even know UHD exists, much less have an interest in buying any discs.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (02-26-23)
Old 02-26-23, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
A lot of people don't even know UHD exists, much less have an interest in buying any discs.
I'd say a good majority of friends and family would have no idea what that acronym even means or applies to. The branding should have incorporated 4K better.
Old 02-26-23, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'd say a good majority of friends and family would have no idea what that acronym even means or applies to. The branding should have incorporated 4K better.
The "holodeck" has better branding than UHD.

Old 02-27-23, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
And a lot of people aren’t sure if DVD still exists, yet they still sell the most.

I’ve felt less urgency to buy many recent movies, the industry is largely to blame for that though as they make them easier to see on streaming first. I normally would’ve bought Space Jam 2 just for completeness sake, but having seen it first for basically free on HBO Max and not even being able to stay awake through it, I’ve passed on it. I think In the Heights was the most recent non-sequel movie I’ve bought, and that was largely to get free shipping on something else. Saw that first on HBOMax also, I like musicals.
Old 03-02-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 03-02-23, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

The studios have made it easier for me to save money by not making movies or TV shows that I find interesting enough to watch once let enough need to own.
The following 3 users liked this post by stvn1974:
Alan Smithee (03-03-23), BobO'Link (03-04-23), BuckNaked2k (03-11-23)
Old 03-03-23, 12:46 AM

And the retailers have made it easier for me by either going under or not putting out many discs for sale. I made tons of impulse buys but consider mail orders much harder. I think I did all I could to support them but if that’s the way they want it…
Old 03-08-23, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Some studios like Disney really wanted DIVX to work out so they could charge for every viewing and lock out any title they saw fit
Besides wishful thinking and/or speculation, do you have any evidence for this assertion?
Old 03-08-23, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Wasn't that the whole point of DIVX? To be a rental format that you could pay a fee to rent for longer, or a larger fee to "own" forever? Of course, if the "company" had the ability to turn on the disc for another rental period, they also had the ability to turn the disc off.
Old 03-09-23, 02:28 PM

In those days Di$ney was really paranoid about piracy and also charged high prices for everything. They only got into regular DVDs reluctantly. Before then they wouldn’t even release some titles on laserdisc because it had no copy protection. DIVX was a dream come true for them- super encryption that nobody even now has broken, and ability to charge for every viewing and even lock out discs entirely if they decided to put something “in the vault” or if it was found to be politically incorrect.
Old 03-09-23, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Before then [Disney] wouldn’t even release some titles on laserdisc because it had no copy protection.
Are you sure? Like what? As I recall, Disney had quite an extensive laserdisc catalog.

DIVX was a dream come true for them- super encryption that nobody even now has broken
It's probably breakable now, but why would anyone bother? Every DIVX title is available in already-encryption-broken DVD format.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBang:
Josh Z (03-10-23), Why So Blu? (03-10-23)
Old 03-10-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 03-10-23, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

In those days Di$ney was really paranoid about piracy and also charged high prices for everything. They only got into regular DVDs reluctantly. Before then they wouldn’t even release some titles on laserdisc because it had no copy protection.
I don't recall Disney withholding anything from Laserdisc, aside from Song of the South (which actually did get a couple of LD releases in Asia).

DIVX was a dream come true for them- super encryption that nobody even now has broken, and ability to charge for every viewing and even lock out discs entirely if they decided to put something “in the vault” or if it was found to be politically incorrect.
As TheBang says, the only reason DIVX encryption was never cracked was that everyone knew from Day 1 the format was doomed to failure, and it did indeed fail with remarkable swiftness. Basically, nobody felt it was worth the effort.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (03-10-23)
Old 03-10-23, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
As TheBang says, the only reason DIVX encryption was never cracked was that everyone knew from Day 1 the format was doomed to failure, and it did indeed fail with remarkable swiftness. Basically, nobody felt it was worth the effort.
For the most part. Though I wouldn't be surprised if one day in the future, some hardcore enthusiasts / hobbyists will figure out an easy way to crack such discs.

As past precedent, undecrypted german U-Boat messages from world war 2 were eventually decrypted by hardcore enthusiasts in the mid 2000s.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Online amateurs crack Nazi codes
BBC NEWS | Technology | Enigma project cracks second code
Old 03-10-23, 04:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The 2022 numbers are out for the music industry and CD sales are in free fall again. Also, vinyl unit sales barely grew but revenue up 17% suggesting vinyl is getting more expensive.

Anyway, if you hoped growing CD sales might translate to growing BD sales in the future, it’s not happening.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.