Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 02-01-23, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 938 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

If physical media had a theme song, it would be Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'".

Looked back around this time 10 years ago, disc sales revenue was 237m. 5 years ago it was 73m.
We're at 20m now. Yowza.
Old 02-01-23, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts

Even 10 years ago I was running out of shelf space. I'm completely out now.

The stores cutting back on inventory is certainly not helping matters though. Can't make impulse purchases when there's nothing there. Anything I order has more thought put into it.
Old 02-02-23, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Yeah, I'm at capacity. I have several titles just sitting flat on top of the other stuff. I need to watch some unwatched discs and get them on eBay if I don't like them enough to keep them.
Old 02-02-23, 06:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Tomorrow is the day I list/sell 95% of my physical media collection. Just so much damn room at this point.
I never thought this day would ever come for you.
Old 02-02-23, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,313 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yeah, I'm at capacity.
Yeah, my current rule is that if I want to buy something, I have to get rid of something on the shelf. I sold a couple giant plastic bins' worth right before the pandemic started, and now I have I-don't-even-know-how-many-hundreds of titles in my office waiting for me to list 'em on eBay or something.
Old 02-02-23, 07:06 PM
Cool New Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's pretty clear physical media is done at mot mainstream stores. You'll get a handful of comic book and kids movies and that's it. Rides over.

Don't bother trying to sell them either, they are worthless. Literally worthless. Bundles of 10 QUALITY Disney blu-rays might get $30.
Not to capitalize on Adam Rich's death but I had an extra brand new sealed set of "Eight Is Enough" and it had zero interest on e-bay at a low price.. As a collector in many formats since a child I have come to the conclusion that if you buy software it remains with you. There is no interest in it anymore. Streaming has taken over. But I don't want streaming. I want a copy of a movie or tv show. The general public are NOT collectors. I collect film as well in 16mm and a couple of weeks ago decided to part with my Technicolor 16mm print of "Mary Poppins" on e-bay. It sold for $2,180.00. Super Rare. Most prints out there are either Kodak SP abridged airline prints or other non low fade stocks like Kodak SP.. My print went to an author who is on AMC and TCM and used to alternate with Robert Osborne. At this point I have zero interest in 4K. I am happy with Blu ray. Also with the early Connery Bond films they look sometimes better being up converted on DVD than on Blu Ray. On the film elements you can see tramlines even on the restorations. The regular DVD's don't show this. Namely element wear/damage. My biggest concerns are the future lack of players for the videos and also DVD rot. I had a major issue with rot on my laser discs. I realize my time in life is limited now. But I will continue to buy and i buy classics. Got some really good deals on classics years ago from Big Lot's . Others I would put up sealed on e-bay. Buy a box set for $6.00 and sell for about $125.00. Those days are over. But I have a lot of room and more storage cases yet un-assembled. for future DVD's and Blu Rays. I just can't see 4K at this point. How much resolution does one really need? Maybe someday I will get into it. But I have way too much stuff. Best, Tom Pennock P.S. Big Lot's here in my town no longer has DVD's or Blu Rays. One time I did see a UHD copy of a movie. I can't remember the title.

Last edited by Tom Pennock; 02-02-23 at 07:17 PM. Reason: left off information
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (02-06-23)
Old 02-02-23, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 938 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Yeah, my current rule is that if I want to buy something, I have to get rid of something on the shelf. I sold a couple giant plastic bins' worth right before the pandemic started, and now I have I-don't-even-know-how-many-hundreds of titles in my office waiting for me to list 'em on eBay or something.
But won't the disc you're buying now just wind up being something you'll have to get rid of down the road because you want to buy another disc?
It's like you're renting titles for a long period of time at a premium rental price.
Old 02-02-23, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Coral
But won't the disc you're buying now just wind up being something you'll have to get rid of down the road because you want to buy another disc?
In theory, no. The intention is to have a more curated collection, and finite space makes me think more about what I want to keep and what I want to acquire. I’m less likely to buy something now that I don’t see myself wanting to hold onto for a very long time. I won’t get it right 100% of the time, but the hope is that I won’t be far off.

That much more selective approach to what I buy has its downsides — being less adventurous means fewer exciting discoveries — but I can't think of a better way to reconcile the situation. I don't want to stop buying movies, I don't want to expand shelving/storage endlessly, and I don't want to repackage my discs in sleeves or whatever. More thoughtful curation seems like the obvious choice.

Originally Posted by Coral
It's like you're renting titles for a long period of time at a premium rental price.
Isn’t it all the same at the end of the day for anyone on a enthusiast forum like this? I would imagine most of us here are more likely to watch a movie once or maybe twice, and otherwise it just sits on a shelf. If I hoard movies and let them collect dust, or if I periodically trade them in or sell them, they’re getting about the same level of interaction.
Old 02-03-23, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 637 Likes on 388 Posts

I just purged a bunch of DVD/BD/UHDs and got a little over $800 for them. I sold them at the local trade in store over 6 trips. I then spent the money on CD box sets. I have really cut back on movie and TV purchases. I pretty much have all 15 of my favorite TV shows and after Inland Empire is released on BD next month my top 100 favorite films on disc. I am confident that Hollywood won't make anything worth wanting to own any time soon.
Old 02-03-23, 12:50 PM

I can’t get rid of anything, but it’s far easier to just not buy something on impulse if it’s something I’m not sure if I’ll actually watch. When I was buying tons of movies I sort of thought this time would come when they start disappearing from stores. I look at my shelves now and think “I actually walked into a store, that likely doesn’t even exist now, and bought that. I’d have to search online for it now.”

I still think the industry could do SOMETHING to reinvigorate the market if they really wanted to, but aside from the independent labels they’re doing the exact opposite. If they wanted to push 4k discs for example they could put new movies out on those a few weeks earlier than they’re on digital or any other format.
Tom Pennock (02-12-23)
Old 02-03-23, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 301 Likes on 247 Posts

You have your own thread to talk about the issues preventing you from removing clutter in your life, and I do not want to hijack this thread talking about your mental issues keeping you from removing clutter, but when you say things like " can’t get rid of anything," well, that is baloney and you know it.

There is no reason you cannot get rid of anything (a worn out bookcase, dvds, cds, old throw pillow, etc.) because no one but yourself is holding you back from doing so.

ETA: Also, how are studios licensing out a ton of their titles to boutique labels (of which there now seem to be a lot of) the opposite of trying to reinvigorate the interest in buying physical media? If the major stores like BB see no profit in bringing back the glory days of buying physical media in a store, than a lot of studios let Shout, Kino, etc., release their titles on physical media. Because of this we now have authentic North America releases of titles like Alligator, Real Genius, Young Sherlock Holmes (even though Blu Ray.com folks say the PG is barely above an upscaled DVD, but still better than a DVD image), and the upcoming 4K release of Dragonslayer.

If you want to keep thinking that any day now folks like BB are going to turn back the clock and generate aisles and aisles of physical media for you to sort through, go on ahead, in the meantime, I am loving how many beloved/fun to watch titles from when I was growing up are now able to become part of my collection.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 02-03-23 at 03:55 PM.
DeanoBKN (02-05-23)
Old 02-04-23, 12:08 AM

My point is that others were saying they were getting rid of discs to make room for new ones, and I would rather just keep what I have than get rid of any for new ones and then want to get rid of those later as well. And with space being an issue, it's easier for me to not pick up new ones than it is to get rid of old ones, though it is killing me to see news of sales declining in general. A lot of my purchases were to support the industry, not just pad my collection.

I am surprised at the number of catalog titles coming out lately even though most of them haven't been found in stores. As I said, it takes me a lot more determination to place an order for something than it is to impulsively grab it at a store when it's right there in front of me. I hope these titles are at least selling enough to break even, if it at least stays at the same level laserdisc sales were at in the 90s (which also had pretty bad retail support in general, though still better overall than what we've got now) then that's good enough for me.

But if the studios wanted to get sales up again, they could announce a big title on 4k disc only, at least for a month or so. No digital options and no crappy obsolete standard DVD til then, if you want it now you have to get it on 4K- but instead the situation is that you have to get digital if you want it now. Reason being that's what they want us all to use.
Old 02-04-23, 08:08 AM

Received 199 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No digital options and no crappy obsolete standard DVD til then, if you want it now you have to get it on 4K- but instead the situation is that you have to get digital if you want it now. Reason being that's what they want us all to use.
The only way to do this, is to legislate a ban into law with a death penalty for ANY violation.

Have you thought about running for public office, where you have the ability to make new laws of any type?
Old 02-04-23, 03:51 PM

Or just be a studio executive.
Old 02-04-23, 05:12 PM

Or just be a studio executive.
Not good enough if you're running Mill Creek, or any other company which does not own their own catalog.

You cannot release anything "not copyright expired" legally on 4Kbluray, holodeck, etc ..., if you have not licensed it from somebody else or do not own the rights.
Old 02-08-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Tom Pennock (02-12-23)
Old 02-09-23, 10:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

But if the studios wanted to get sales up again, they could announce a big title on 4k disc only, at least for a month or so. No digital options and no crappy obsolete standard DVD til then, if you want it now you have to get it on 4K- but instead the situation is that you have to get digital if you want it now. Reason being that's what they want us all to use.
It's the most profitable way for the studios to make money so...yeah. Physical media is running towards the grave and you need to accept that. It's not some massive conspiracy
Old 02-10-23, 11:12 AM

It is a conspiracy when they purposely give digital that unfair advantage. If digital sold well enough on its own, people would still choose that even if the discs were available the same day. What if a big title were available only on 4k the first month? Would we see an uptick in 4k disc player sales, or would most people just wait until it was on digital?
Old 02-10-23, 11:33 AM
Suspended

It is a conspiracy when they purposely give digital that unfair advantage. If digital sold well enough on its own, people would still choose that even if the discs were available the same day. What if a big title were available only on 4k the first month? Would we see an uptick in 4k disc player sales, or would most people just wait until it was on digital?
There is no conspiracy.
Old 02-10-23, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,946 Likes on 2,013 Posts

There is no conspiracy.
Yes, there is a conspiracy.

A massive number of consumers banded together and rejected disc-based media because they find it more convenient to buy digital content or stream it instead of having a bunch of discs stacked up in their ever-shrinking apartments.

It's just not the conspiracy Alan thinks it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
BobO'Link (02-13-23), Gizmo (02-10-23)
Old 02-10-23, 04:03 PM

Did those customers while banding together also demand that their preferred format be given an unfair advantage with early releases? Did they also forget about all the “what-ifs” that helped kill DIVX?
Old 02-10-23, 04:20 PM

Did those customers while banding together also demand that their preferred format be given an unfair advantage with early releases? Did they also forget about all the “what-ifs” that helped kill DIVX?
The only folks who knew anything about DIVX were the hardcore nerdy/geeky movie + technical types. Otherwise the general public didn't know anything about DIVX.
Old 02-10-23, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Putting a movie on digital release is literally a snap of a finger. With physical media you have to print, produce, ship etc. But here is the kicker - retailers don't want physical media because it isn't selling like it used to. The sections are greatly reduced or even removed now.

There is nothing unfair about going the route of most profitable.
Old 02-10-23, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 889 Likes on 750 Posts

I think conspiracy is the wrong word. Major Hollywood studios deliberately created the conditions necessary to put physical media in an early grave. Years of strategic and conscious planning by them going all the way back to the early 2010s. Happily coincides with a phased reduction in economic output across developed countries by the major multinationals.

They signaled to their major retail partners (Walmart, Target, etc) they were going all digital years in advance, which is why Walmart then bought out VUDU.

Consumers have less say over how they consume than they believe. Billions of dollars are at stake and Hollywood saw the painful digital transition made by their comrades in the music industry. MBAs in the entertainment industries are already forecasting the 2030s and beyond right now.
Old 02-10-23, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
MBAs in the entertainment industries are already forecasting the 2030s and beyond right now.
Holodecks ?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.