Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 12-16-22, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

I've personally never sold anything on Amazon Marketplace but I assume buyers from either platform would want as much information as possible to avoid disappointment, be it real photos or an extensive description.

If someone sells nothing but brand new or pristine used copies then I guess it doesn't leave too much room for a buyer to have anything complain about. As a buyer on eBay, I purchased a DVD of "The Last Action Hero" which had a stock photo showing it was "Widescreen + Full Screen". The copy that arrived to my door was "Full Screen" only. Although this is a bit of an oddity, RCA/Columbia uses the same bar code number for both versions, it resulted in the seller having to refund me.

Real pictures vs. stock photos, detailed written descriptions or not; it is all about levels of risk you want to take as a seller.

Last edited by orangerunner; 12-17-22 at 01:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DeanoBKN (12-20-22)
Old 12-16-22, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts

The few times an amazon listing was imprecise/non-informative, I'll ask the amazon marketplace retailer what the isbn or upc code numbers are.
Brian T (01-03-23)
Old 12-23-22, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,205 Posts
Old 12-23-22, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
But if you did, did you only buy from sellers who had personal images beside their listings, regardless of price? Because sellers who do that are virtually non-existent on Amazon's Marketplaces despite having the option to add pics. I made enough Amazon Marketplace purchases over the years (Canada, US and UK) that the experience was positive enough to convince me to try it when I decided to sell off a lot of the movies I purchase, even on as small a scale as I do. So far, smooth sailing.
As a buyer on any platform where the item has to be mailed to me, I tend to avoid ads that look too slick and polished. Many sellers might think this is counter-intuitive but when I see a photo of an item sitting on someone's arborite kitchen counter, I tend to have more trust in the item and the seller. When a seller uses hi-res, well-lit stock photos with fancy graphics or close-crop their photos in Photoshop with a vague "it's-all-good" written description, I tend to be more suspicious that what I see may not be exactly what I will receive.
Old 12-23-22, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,350 Likes on 997 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
As a buyer on any platform where the item has to be mailed to me, I tend to avoid ads that look too slick and polished. Many sellers might think this is counter-intuitive but when I see a photo of an item sitting on someone's arborite kitchen counter, I tend to have more trust in the item and the seller. When a seller uses hi-res, well-lit stock photos with fancy graphics or close-crop their photos in Photoshop with a vague "it's-all-good" written description, I tend to be more suspicious that what I see may not be exactly what I will receive.
You would probably like our stuff, we either put it on the windowsill for the light or laid out on the carpet.
Old 01-03-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 01-03-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would have expected a little bump for Xmas sales. Maybe the next week.
Old 01-04-23, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 01-04-23, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, nope.
Old 01-05-23, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,796 Posts

We'll probably see a bump when Avatar The Way of Water comes out. Maybe.

Movies coming out on DVD/blu-ray/UHD just isn't the event it was even a few years ago. They come out with little fanfare and just sort of show up at endcap at Walmart or Target with the other recent releases. These days all of the hype and promotion is about streaming or digital purchase.

Sometimes I'll just be strolling through a store and see the blu-ray for a newly released movie and think to myself I didn't know that was out yet. And I never buy them, because I can watch them elsewhere for free, and if I want to add the disc to my library I'll wait for a price drop at a later date.

Which probably isn't good for a healthy movies-on-disc market, but I've kind of soured on the format lately, with all of the discs that are rotting. (I've lost one DVD of Veronica Mars season three, two DVDs of Alias season two, one DVD of The Outer Limits season two, and the DVD of Eyes Wide Shut in my Kubrick boxed set.) Since discs are looking more and more like a disposable format and manufacturing qc has gone down the toilet, I really don't want to spend more than a few bucks on anything.
Old 01-05-23, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Tomorrow is the day I list/sell 95% of my physical media collection. Just so much damn room at this point.
Old 01-06-23, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 760 Likes on 635 Posts

Few media sales this holiday season, the weakest I can remember since the DVD format's early days. And casual retail purchases are all but dead. Chains carry nothing anymore beyond full-priced new releases of family flicks and the absolute biggest blockbusters.

The Blu-ray collapse is a bit shocking from just the perspective of three years ago. The studios are getting their way.
Old 01-06-23, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 809 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Blu-ray collapse is a bit shocking from just the perspective of three years ago. The studios are getting their way.
What is "their way" and how are they getting it?
Old 01-06-23, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 760 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Hollywood would love to end physical media, it cuts into their glorious profits now they've transitioned the average consumer to digital video.
Old 01-06-23, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
The studios prefer to keep consumers hooked to an ongoing monthly streaming subscription rather than a one-time point of sale purchase.
Old 01-06-23, 01:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Few media sales this holiday season, the weakest I can remember since the DVD format's early days. And casual retail purchases are all but dead. Chains carry nothing anymore beyond full-priced new releases of family flicks and the absolute biggest blockbusters.

It seems more like consumers are no longer interested in having a collection of plastic discs they might play once (if ever) sitting on a shelf with hardware they likely don't even have anymore.

Times are changing. Just look around here - it's pretty dead and you can see even some of the most hardcore buyers are ignoring movies now. I certainly am one of them and it appears I'm not alone.
Old 01-06-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,158 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Tomorrow is the day I list/sell 95% of my physical media collection. Just so much damn room at this point.

Where at?
Old 01-06-23, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

I used to be the one you could count on to receive movies or CDs from at Christmas- but I figured out they hardly got played and in recent years I havenít even been able to find much in stores.

Still have to wonder who the hell is still buying regular DVDs. That would be like getting a lump of coal.
Old 01-06-23, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Still have to wonder who the hell is still buying regular DVDs.
I wouldn't buy a DVD if a Blu-ray disc of the same film/TV show/whatever were available, but there's still a metric ton of stuff that's only available on DVD. Between gifts and things I've ordered for myself, I've gotten 4 DVDs / DVD collections in the past year or so -- 3 Super Sentai and Ultraman sets, plus a gray market import of Ramayana: The Legend of Prince Rama -- and I'll probably pick up a fair few more in the months to come.

I only bought two movies as Christmas gifts this year: Project A-KO for a former DVD Talk-er and Christmas in Connecticut for my wife. 2 more, if you count The Lost Boys and Real Genius -- both in UHD -- for my stepfather-in-law, but I didn't actually pay for those myself.

I bought my kid sister some movies a couple years back, and she didn't know she could play them on her Xbox One. As far as I know, she still hasn't, even after filling her in! It's really just my wife, one close friend, and a few older family members who still appreciate physical copies of movies.
Brian T (01-09-23)
Old 01-06-23, 02:55 PM

Still have to wonder who the hell is still buying regular DVDs. That would be like getting a lump of coal.
Hardcore B-movie (and lower) fans.

The bottom feeder movie companies gave up on bluray years ago and went dvd-only, such as The Asylum (famous for the Sharknado franchise) and junk released by Cinedigm.
The following 2 users liked this post by morriscroy:
Adam Tyner (01-06-23), Brian T (01-09-23)
Old 01-06-23, 03:08 PM

Hollywood would love to end physical media, it cuts into their glorious profits now they've transitioned the average consumer to digital video.
More likely reason is that the movie companies do not want to deal with real physical inventory anymore, and the headaches of dealing with the middlemen in the retail supply chain (such as wallymart, amazon, etc ... and eventually liquidation outlets).
Old 01-06-23, 03:11 PM

The only thing I still buy on regular DVD is old TV shows or music videos produced in standard-def, and maybe an occasional obscure movie that might not be released in any better format. Iíve stopped buying dollar-store B-movies on standard DVD as I can often find those for online viewing in better quality or at least for free.
Tom Pennock (01-08-23)
Old 01-06-23, 03:17 PM

Iíve stopped buying dollar-store B-movies on standard DVD as I can often find those for online viewing in better quality or at least for free.
The extreme hardcore B-movie (and lower) fans, are the ones who go on shopping trips buying several dozen or even over a hundred $1 dvds every time they scavenge through dump bins around town.
Old 01-06-23, 03:19 PM

You are not hardcore enough.

Old 01-06-23, 04:26 PM

I was but Iím out of shelf space, and as much as I love obsolete formats Iíve got more than enough DVDs. Maybe if they put them out on laserdisc or Quasar VX tape.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.