Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 11-19-22, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,289 Likes on 844 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 11-20-22, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,601 Likes on 1,148 Posts

What came out the week ending November 5 to account for the bump? Top Gun Maverick?
Old 11-20-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
What came out the week ending November 5 to account for the bump? Top Gun Maverick?
Yup. (source!)
Old 11-20-22, 10:45 AM
Cool New Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BuckNaked! I missed your postings for quite some time.

--Tom

Last edited by Tom Pennock; 11-20-22 at 10:48 AM. Reason: mistake
The following users liked this post:
BuckNaked2k (11-23-22)
Old 11-21-22, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts

Top Gun being intentionally crippled by releasing on digital a month before discs.
Old 11-21-22, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Top Gun being intentionally crippled by releasing on digital a month before discs.
Do you believe this was done deliberately as an easy way to destroy the market for discs?
Old 11-21-22, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts

Dude, give it up. No one is out to get your precious discs. The general population is moving against owning physical products - not just movies. Early digital release has been a thing for years now.,
Old 11-22-22, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Do you believe this was done deliberately as an easy way to destroy the market for discs?
Absolutely. Why else would they do that? They’re banking on people wanting a movie as soon as possible, so if digital is their only choice that’s what they’ll get, and soon enough they’ll just buy all their movies that way. I get that some people prefer that anyways which is fine, but the industry is giving digital an unfair advantage by putting that out early. If digital really sold well enough on its own they wouldn’t need to do that. It’s like when a few titles came out on DIVX before they were on regular DVD, they wanted to push people to that.
Old 11-22-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Absolutely. Why else would they do that?
Well, there's also borderline-zero lead time for digital, so they can just pick whatever date they want and make it happen, whereas discs require replication, distribution, giving retailers a window to place their orders, etc. I can't think of a reason that digital should be day-and-date with disc, with the possible exception of clarity in marketing.
Josh Z (11-22-22)
Old 11-22-22, 12:12 PM

True, but digital release dates are still announced a few weeks in advance, and ads often say “Own it NOW on digital!” with small print saying discs available later. They certainly aren’t implying that the discs are being prepared with great care and will be worth waiting for- they’re implying more “why would you bother waiting?”

Interestingly though most digital movies are only available to buy during that window, not for rent until the disc comes out though Top Gun was still available to rent earlier. So they also want to push people more towards buying which means spending more money upfront, a few years before it seemed like they wanted to push rentals more than sales. Redbox was blocked from renting some titles on disc for their first week or so also as to encourage sales.
Old 11-22-22, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

It’s like when a few titles came out on DIVX before they were on regular DVD, they wanted to push people to that.
How'd that work out for DIVX? Bottom line is that people are going to buy the format that they want, and the writing is already on the wall for physical media.
Old 11-22-22, 06:42 PM

Still they tried. If the studios didn’t want physical media to decline they wouldn’t be giving digital such an advantage with early releases, but it’s pretty clear that they do. I’ll be happy just to give my money to boutique labels in the future anyways, and thankfully I already stopped caring about getting things the moment they’re released. I rarely get excited about new movies anymore anyways, most of them are just good enough to watch one time and forget.
PhantomStranger (11-23-22)
Old 11-22-22, 06:54 PM

Incidentally it’s kind of strange how Paramount is putting out a lot of catalog titles lately, when a couple years ago they weren’t putting out many and a lot of older DVD titles had gone out of print. They lost my sale for Planes, Trains and Automobiles which they just released today on 4k. I heard the picture quality isn’t good anyways, but I just have the regular DVD which looks really bad and has no extras, the extras on this new release seemed reason enough to buy it.

NO stores near me seem to have it though. I didn’t go out and look, but I can usually check online if Target, Best Buy or Walmart have something in stock. Target’s website says “Not available in stores” and it’s not even listed for the other 2. It’s a Thanksgiving movie so if I order it now it won’t get here til afterwards, so I just won’t bother with it unless it turns up cheap sometime next year in stores or online. Certainly Tower would have it now if they were still around.

This is an old movie but is still fairly popular and from a major studio, so it’s pathetic that I can’t just go buy it on its release day. Might as well have been from Twilight Time. I guess I would’ve preordered it if I really wanted it, and I guess I will have to do that for any forthcoming title I do want.
Old 11-22-22, 07:20 PM

In the case of DIVX, I have to wonder if Circuit City paid a premium fee (ie. bribe) to get some titles released on DIVX first, before the dvd version was released.
Old 11-22-22, 07:35 PM

Disney and Fox liked the idea of DIVX much more than regular DVD, as they could control access and make people pay for every viewing if they wanted (some movies but not all could be unlocked for about $20, but of course you still can’t play those now as the computer that authorizes them is offline.) Warner and Sony were against DIVX and didn’t release movies on it, but they did use exclusivity to sell the format if customers didn’t like the idea of how it worked.
Old 11-22-22, 07:54 PM

Disney and Fox liked the idea of DIVX much more than regular DVD, as they could control access and make people pay for every viewing if they wanted

The only way this statement might possibly make any sense (however fleeting), is if the accounting/finance + legal departments at Fox and/or Disney actually signed off on taking such bribes from Circuit City, and the C-level suites at these three companies did not veto it.

Last edited by morriscroy; 11-22-22 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-22-22, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I can't think of a reason that digital should be day-and-date with disc, with the possible exception of clarity in marketing.
The way things are released these days... the shrinking window between theatrical release and home release, digital purchases, streaming, release on physical disc... it's really hard to keep track of things. In years past, I used to be much more in tune with these things. Now, not so much.

In the not-so-distant past a movie would be released theatrically, get a DVD/blu-ray release six months later, then show up on pay cable six months after that.
Old 11-23-22, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,042 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
The only way this statement might possibly make any sense (however fleeting), is if the accounting/finance + legal departments at Fox and/or Disney actually signed off on taking such bribes from Circuit City, and the C-level suites at these three companies did not veto it.
It's not a bribe if it's just part of the business.

Like the retailer exclusive releases for steelbooks and such we have now.
Old 11-23-22, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The way things are released these days... the shrinking window between theatrical release and home release, digital purchases, streaming, release on physical disc... it's really hard to keep track of things. In years past, I used to be much more in tune with these things. Now, not so much.

In the not-so-distant past a movie would be released theatrically, get a DVD/blu-ray release six months later, then show up on pay cable six months after that.
I agree the whole industry has been diversified to a point where it's just a fog of information and I think a lot of people have simply tuned-out. Maybe I'm just old but I have no interest in having multiple subscriptions I have to juggle - quit these services for a couple of months, start that service, checking my credit card statement to double-check if they are still billing me. Do I want to waste time having to call some head office to straighten-out a mistaken charge?

Perhaps it's not that complicated but the pre-streaming era just seemed more simple. The video store had a "new release" calendar on their wall so you could see what was coming soon. Local newspapers and store flyers kept you posted. "Entertainment Tonight" had a "what's new" video segment, TV Guide had a page dedicated to the latest rentals as well as magazines like Premiere etc.
Old 11-23-22, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
I agree the whole industry has been diversified to a point where it's just a fog of information and I think a lot of people have simply tuned-out.
I hate to admit this, but I'm sort of become one of those people who would walk into Blockbuster wanting to rent a movie before it even came out theatrically. I barely know when something is coming out at the theater, digital, streaming, or disc.

I'm pretty sure that the second Black Panther movie came out a week or two ago, and that the Avatar sequel is out this weekend or next month or something... I just can't keep track of stuff anymore.