Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 07-10-12, 04:22 PM

re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

June 30:

Old 07-23-12, 05:15 PM

July 7:

Old 07-23-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
-There was no format war with DVD.
ummm, Divx?
Old 07-24-12, 06:28 PM

July 14:

Old 07-26-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
ummm, Divx?
I think Divx was more of a minor battle, at least here in North America.

VCDs were a tough competitor in Asia.
Old 07-27-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Divx was thrown at me EVERY time I set foot in a circuit city store to buy dvds... One old guy in particular pissed me off laughing off my purchase of dvds because divx was going to be the future of disc media... Being backed by the second largest electronics store at the time doesn't constitute a minor battle, even though it was a battle resolved very early in the relative life span of dvds
Old 07-27-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lewisb73 View Post
Divx was thrown at me EVERY time I set foot in a circuit city store to buy dvds... One old guy in particular pissed me off laughing off my purchase of dvds because divx was going to be the future of disc media... Being backed by the second largest electronics store at the time doesn't constitute a minor battle, even though it was a battle resolved very early in the relative life span of dvds
I think it was pretty significant. With the backing of Circuit City they were pushing hard. One thing working against them was that at the time people did not have players hooked up to the internet like they do now and many people felt it was big brother watching them. But they were cheap and kind of a hybrid between an own it, rent it system.
Old 07-29-12, 04:49 PM

Not sure how early you were into the DVD scene, the demise of DIVX actually enticed most brick and mortar retailers to start selling DVDs in earnest. This drastically increased the installation base over the course of the next twelve months after the event. Online it was a different story, but the % of consumers who were comfortable back in late 90's of purchasing online was drastically different.

DIVX was a huge war and there was a huge sense of relief on this site when Circuit City pulled the proverbial plug on it.
Old 07-29-12, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Divx has exclusive studios and was around just as long as HD DVD was.

Infact, Divx had more exclusive studios than HD DVD so it would, infact, be a bigger "format war". Some studios didn't start releasing on DVD until 2+ years after it was launched.
Old 07-29-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tdoane78 View Post
Not sure how early you were into the DVD scene, the demise of DIVX actually enticed most brick and mortar retailers to start selling DVDs in earnest. This drastically increased the installation base over the course of the next twelve months after the event. Online it was a different story, but the % of consumers who were comfortable back in late 90's of purchasing online was drastically different.

DIVX was a huge war and there was a huge sense of relief on this site when Circuit City pulled the proverbial plug on it.
Divx was only sold at Circuit City (IIRC). I don't think it was ever at Best Buy, Good Guys (remember them?), Target, etc.

I ordered my first DVD player online (refurbished 5 disc carousel JVC) back in 1999. Man that was weird.
Old 07-29-12, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Divx was only sold at Circuit City (IIRC). I don't think it was ever at Best Buy, Good Guys (remember them?), Target, etc.
DIVX was indeed sold by Good Guys. As well as Future Shop and Ultimate Electronics.

It probably had little success getting itself in stores since it was owned by Circuit City and the big retailers like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Target wouldn't want to carry a product that directly profited a competitor.

TBH, I don't know why any electronics retailer would touch DIVX because of its connection to a competitor unless they got some cash incentive to carry the product.
Old 07-29-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered my first DVD player online (refurbished 5 disc carousel JVC) back in 1999. Man that was weird.
Perhaps I stand corrected about the impact Divx had on the market.

I live in Vancouver, Canada where there are no Circuit City stores. We have The Source, which is just a small re-branded Radio Shack in the mall outlets. In fact, in the late 1990s there was no Best Buy or Wal-Mart, either!

It sounds like Divx was much more aggressively marketed in the US than in Canada.
Old 07-29-12, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It sounds like Divx was much more aggressively marketed in the US than in Canada.
Eh. Some studios were just very concerned with privacy and liked what Divx offered (similar to Blu-ray with its BD++++ etc.).
Old 07-30-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

DIVX wasn't available in Canada, only the US. It was only on the market for 9 months (HD-DVD was out for about 2 years.) They had intended to get DIVX into more retailers but had little success- story was that they would have gotten them at Blockbuster, but only if Blockbuster had been allowed to buy the DIVX company. I heard near the end they had gotten the Helig-Meyers furniture store chain to carry it, but DIVX went under soon after with the store chain soon after that.

I'm surprised more retailers haven't objected to selling electronics with Vudu streaming included, since Wal-Mart owns that.
Old 07-30-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think BD/HD DVD was a bigger war. It had big proponents and exclusives on both sides. It had consumer acceptance on both sides (sometimes passionately), and it ran for two years (April 2006 - Feb 2008), stunting the adoption of HD on disc.

DIVX, not so much. It never had a lot of consumer acceptance and advocates. DVD was still nascent, and I don't think it was stunted too much by the war. I think getting the public to drop VHS and accept optical media was a bigger hurdle to adoption than choosing between DVD and DIVX. And it only lasted a tepid year (June 1998 - June 1999).
Old 07-30-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
DIVX wasn't available in Canada, only the US.
I guess that explains why I didn't give the format much thought.

The only thing I remember about Divx was buying a no-name brand DVD player around 2003 and it boasted that it was Divx compatible.
Old 07-30-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Todd B. View Post
I think BD/HD DVD was a bigger war. It had big proponents and exclusives on both sides. It had consumer acceptance on both sides (sometimes passionately), and it ran for two years (April 2006 - Feb 2008), stunting the adoption of HD on disc.

DIVX, not so much. It never had a lot of consumer acceptance and advocates. DVD was still nascent, and I don't think it was stunted too much by the war. I think getting the public to drop VHS and accept optical media was a bigger hurdle to adoption than choosing between DVD and DIVX. And it only lasted a tepid year (June 1998 - June 1999).
I would agree, but while were going through it, it seemed more dire at times. Maybe some of it was due to guys like Digitalbits spouting doom and gloom. I was one that felt HD and BR could co-exist and the war was once again the product of the online media who were quick to take sides
Old 07-31-12, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

The main thing with DIVX was had it succeeded, many movies might have been available ONLY in a pay-per-use model. As mentioned earlier, there were already many titles that were on DIVX but not regular DVD- Paramount and Fox even had DIVX titles out a couple months before their first DVDs. Most DIVX movies could be 'upgraded' for unlimited play, but even then they were tied only to one player and the rights holders could disable play of them at any time (in fact all of those are now disabled since the players can't call into the main computer to confirm anything now- refunds were given for these when the system went under.) This is the same reason I will never "buy" a movie through Vudu or any other online streaming service, though they have been good for rentals.

HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray was just sheer stupidity. With two incompatible formats, it was inevitable that one was going to make it and one fail- one standard should have been agreed on before any discs or players were put out. Having both I can at least say the better format won.
Old 07-31-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post

HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray was just sheer stupidity. With two incompatible formats, it was inevitable that one was going to make it and one fail- one standard should have been agreed on before any discs or players were put out. Having both I can at least say the better format won.
LG had 2 combo players and Samsung 1.

Blu-ray and HD DVD could have co-existed just fine. Samsung had another Combo player read to launch but was pulled a the last minute once Warner went blu (it turned into the 25xx model minus the HD DVD support).

Having both, I'd take the DRM, Region Free HD DVD over Blu-ray. But it is what it is I had both formats from nearly day 1.
Old 07-31-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I take from this discussion is that it just boggles the mind that after the Divx vs DVD war, the studios were stupid enough to try it again with the high def formats.

I sat out the hi-def war until it was settled, and even now I have a very small percentage of Blus in my collection. I only replace non 16x9 transfers and buy the occasional new release on Blu. How many sales to people like myself did the studios miss out on because of their pissing match?
Old 07-31-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
What I take from this discussion is that it just boggles the mind that after the Divx vs DVD war, the studios were stupid enough to try it again with the high def formats.

I sat out the hi-def war until it was settled, and even now I have a very small percentage of Blus in my collection. I only replace non 16x9 transfers and buy the occasional new release on Blu. How many sales to people like myself did the studios miss out on because of their pissing match?
Considering Blu-ray players are now $25....I think anyone "waiting" is just making up excuses.
Old 07-31-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering Blu-ray players are now $25.....
Ha! Remember the days of the format war, when some were saying we'd never see the day of the sub-$100 player or the sub-$10 disc. How quickly the floor fell out....
Old 07-31-12, 03:43 PM

July 21:

Old 08-03-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is the lowest DVD sales I think I have seen since this thread has been started.

But, there has not been a huge title release in awhile.

Last big title was "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" for the week of June 17th for over 18 million.

It will be interesting to see how many "Hunger Games" and "Avengers" sell on DVD.

-"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1" has sold $94,286,561, to my surprise, it could break $100 million this calendar year.
Old 08-04-12, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k View Post
Ha! Remember the days of the format war, when some were saying we'd never see the day of the sub-$100 player or the sub-$10 disc. How quickly the floor fell out....
Perhaps it was part of the game plan this time. It was said that Sony, Toshiba and other DVD makers were surprised by how quickly China was able to mass produce cheap DVD players so early in the DVD life cycle. It cost the Japan companies a lot of R & D dollars (or in this case, yen), because they expected to keep prices on DVD players much higher for a longer period of time (sort of like the VHS life cycle).
Maybe they were ready for the cheaper Blu-ray players earlier in the cycle this time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.