Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 09-14-21, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

There arenít many more places for me to buy discs anymore- everything upcoming in the next few months that I want (like The Sparks Brothers) Iíve had to order as likely no stores here will have them.
Old 09-14-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
There arenít many more places for me to buy discs anymore- everything upcoming in the next few months that I want (like The Sparks Brothers) Iíve had to order as likely no stores here will have them.
In a similar niche of audio cds, this is not a recent thing.

For over the past decade, ordering online has been standard for less popular music cds. Especially if the remaining local indie record store(s) do not carry such titles.
Old 09-14-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 571 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
There arenít many more places for me to buy discs anymore
Aside from Barnes and Nobleís 50% off Criterion sale, I could probably count the number of discs Iíve bought at a physical store in the past 5 years on one hand and have several fingers left over. (I think Aquaman at Target might be the last one? Not counting gifts or a Vinegar Syndrome pop-up.) The closest store with a deep selection of movies I like is Orbit DVD in Asheville, which is over an hour from my house.
Old 09-14-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
If consumers didn't like the idea of not being able to own their media, they would continue to buy physical discs.
The only thing stopping people from buying media is their own preference.
It's always in a company's financial best interest to convert their clients to buy the convenient, non-physical version of every product they can.
Old 09-14-21, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
It's always in a company's financial best interest to convert their clients to buy the convenient, non-physical version of every product they can.
Right, but the only thing stopping someone from buying the physical media is themselves.
It's not like consumers can't buy the discs - they just chose not to.

Even on a DVD forum we've seen a dramatic drop in how much physical media is bought. It's only logical that regular movie viewers would bail on physical media even more.
The studios are only following consumer demand.
Old 09-14-21, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 84 Posts

As a SteelBook collector, I still regularly shop at Best Buy, though I typically order online for curbside or in-store pickup. That's a better option than shipping, as Best Buy will ship SteelBooks in padded envelopes or thin cardboard mailers guaranteed to leave them dented or crushed.

I went into the store last week and took a peek around. The physical media section was down to one small, half-empty shelf and a standing display for new releases.

At the moment, Barnes & Noble has the best Blu-ray selection in the area, though I think that's mostly a factor of their terrible prices meaning that they still have lots of old, lingering stock that nobody bought. I only go there during Criterion sales.
Old 09-14-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 495 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
As a SteelBook collector, I still regularly shop at Best Buy, though I typically order online for curbside or in-store pickup. That's a better option than shipping, as Best Buy will ship SteelBooks in padded envelopes or thin cardboard mailers guaranteed to leave them dented or crushed.

I went into the store last week and took a peek around. The physical media section was down to one small, half-empty shelf and a standing display for new releases.

At the moment, Barnes & Noble has the best Blu-ray selection in the area, though I think that's mostly a factor of their terrible prices meaning that they still have lots of old, lingering stock that nobody bought. I only go there during Criterion sales.
Yeah, I wonder if they'd ever consider doing other sales for the rest of their stock. I always like going in there but walk out empty handed quite often.
Old 09-14-21, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 202 Likes on 140 Posts

I buy (mostly newly released) vinyl, and my tastes aren't particularly mainstream, so even though I have a few good local record shops around 99% of my vinyl has to be bought online - that's been the case for almost ten years now.