Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 10-08-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Yeah- the top seller will be some epic shot in 4K, high frame rate, Atmos and 3D with D-Box encoding, selling the most copies on standard DVD- unless they also put out a VHS then it’ll sell the most on that.
Old 10-09-20, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Yeah- the top seller will be some epic shot in 4K, high frame rate, Atmos and 3D with D-Box encoding, selling the most copies on standard DVD- unless they also put out a VHS then it’ll sell the most on that.
Even bigger and better selling than dvds, will be when a movie is written out in egyptian style hieroglyphs on stone tablets or the walls of the lincoln memorial.

Old 11-11-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 11-11-20, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Wow, that Oct. 17 week bump looks like it's due entirely to the Friday the 13th collection?
Old 11-11-20, 09:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Wow, that Oct. 17 week bump looks like it's due entirely to the Friday the 13th collection?
Looks like Harry Potter.

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekly-bluray-sales-chart

Edit: nvm, going by revenue looks like Friday the 13th was it.
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (11-13-20)
Old 11-12-20, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, it's also due to the fact that Prime Day was Oct. 13 and 14. I noticed a number of Prime Day deals in the top 20 list there, like Fast and Furious 8 Movie Collection and Jurassic World 5 movie collection
Old 12-10-20, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-12-20, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Looks like media took a tumble in revenue this Black Friday shopping week. Not hard to believe with Walmart basically punting on media deals and many shoppers scared of facing the crowds at retail.
Old 12-13-20, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, Black Friday media purchases were actually a couple weeks early this year, since both BB and Walmart put their media on sale before BF. Thats why the couple weeks prior were better year over year. Still not enough to offset the total drop in revenue, but not quite the “down 60%” disaster that week looks like at first glance.
Old 12-15-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

Now movies like Greyhound and Palm Springs are exclusive to Apple + and Hulu and no dvd release dates in sight for those movies and that could become another trend where streaming sites have these movies that will be exclusive to their site and never get a dvd release.
Old 12-15-20, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It will be interesting to see ifTenet moves the needle at all.
Old 12-18-20, 04:42 AM

Went to the store today and would've impulse-bought it but not at $30. It'll probably be on HBO Max soon- having that will likely slow down my blind buys which is good for me but bad for sales.
Old 01-06-21, 03:09 AM

All Family Video stores will start closing on January 6.

Before COVID there were 520 Family Video stores, by the end of the year they were down to 250. Now the rest are closing. Family Video was the biggest video rental franchise in America.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pandemi...aining-stores/
BackStJoe (01-06-21)
Old 01-06-21, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-01-21, 04:53 AM

COVID-19 FAST-FORWARDS DVD’S DECLINE

The pandemic may have increased audience for a myriad of streaming and VOD options by keeping consumers indoors, but not all forms of in-home entertainment apparently benefited.The rate at which DVD sales and rentals declined in 2020 versus the year prior saw a pronounced acceleration compared to the levels at which it had been dropping for the past decade, according to data released by the Digital Entertainment Group, a trade organization for the home entertainment industry.

Physical sales and rentals of discs each tanked by more than 25%, a staggering reality for those invested in selling and collecting physical media. The prior year rentals barely exceeded a 20% decline while sales were at an 18.29% dropoff.

Some were hoping this would not be the case after observed increases in DVD sales last spring as nationwide lockdowns were underway. However, DEG’s quarterly sales figures for physical discs show that the second quarter of 2020, as well as the first, were still down from their 2019 counterparts.

What prevented physical discs from seeing a rebound in revenue at a time when theaters were closed and people were stuck indoors?

Streaming has to be considered the main culprit behind the continued disintegration of physical media, as new services from WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal became available in May and July 2020, respectively. Plus, the November 2019 launch of Disney+ offered an all-in-one stop for brands like Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar that often top home entertainment charts.

The appeal of a service like Disney+ is that every Disney brand and release is gathered in one place. Every Disney title among the top 20 watched-at-home releases is available to stream on Disney+, and “Onward” even saw an expedited streaming debut after its theatrical run was cut short.

HBO Max operates on similar logic when it comes to the Warner Bros. catalog, as “Joker,” “Scoob!” and “Birds of Prey” are all available to stream there (whereas the “Harry Potter” films are still confined to a licensing deal with NBCUniversal).

Even before the pandemic began sweeping its way through the U.S., Universal and Warner Bros. launched a joint venture to continue distributing DVDs of their films, offsetting the extra cost of manufacturing titles for the format by themselves.

Physical discs were on the way out before the pandemic, but now more than ever they’ve lost relevance with the public, as the pandemic itself is a hurdle to purchasing discs in the wild.

Streaming will continue to upend traditional release and consumption models for content, so if physical discs couldn’t make any sort of comeback in 2020, this is it for the format. Better utilize the extra space in your TV stand’s cabinets for something else.

Physical media faced the perfect storm that pandemic hit right when everyone was ready to launch their streaming services.
Old 02-01-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

The future of DVD, blu-ray, and 4K UHD discs is going to be through boutique labels like Scream/Shout, Arrow, and Criterion. I suspect the format has quite a bit of life still left, but it will be aimed at collectors.

I've said that, eventually, we're going to have a major Hollywood release that doesn't get a disc release, and be available as a digital purchase only. I thought it might be Frozen III, but I could see it being something like Black Widow now, one of these pandemic-delayed movies that opens on a streaming service. (I know BW hasn't been announced as a D+ debut, but there is a lot of speculation.) It's probably not going to be one of the Warner titles that are debuting on HBO Max, as it seems like Warners is still invested in releasing discs.

I still think it will be Disney that crosses this Rubicon; they have so far, not announced a release for the first season of The Mandalorian on disc even though there would a strong demand for it.
Old 02-01-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

I've been watching the '80s G.I. Joe cartoon with my son. Until recently, all four seasons (the two from Sunbow and the two from DIC) were streaming free with ads on Tubi. Just as we finished the Sunbow run, Tubi removed seasons 3 and 4, and they are not streaming anywhere else. Looks like I'll have to buy the DVDs, which is frustrating, as the DIC seasons sucked and I'd rather not pay for them.

Old 02-01-21, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, I'm a guy who used to buy multiple titles a week, then it went to a few a month. Now, this last year I've bought TWO titles, total.
Old 02-01-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, I'm a guy who used to buy multiple titles a week, then it went to a few a month. Now, this last year I've bought TWO titles, total.
So it's your fault.
slop101 (02-01-21)
Old 02-01-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

It's hard even finding media these days at retail. Best Buy and Target severely downsized their retail inventory in 2020, while a chain like Family Video went bankrupt dealing with Covid-related declines.

The dirty secret is that Hollywood always wanted to kill off physical media and switch the average consumer over to digital streaming once they established enough of a VOD market. It looks like the events of 2020 accelerated the timeline by several years.

Most interesting to see is if Hollywood attempts to block what happened over in the music industry - once streaming became mainstream, digital purchases died out almost immediately. I suspect Hollywood will do everything in their power to stop that from happening.
Old 02-01-21, 06:14 PM

I try to support the market, but the reality is I'm out of shelf space so what can I do? I've gone to the dark side lately with more streaming subscriptions, but I'll still buy the movies I care about on disc. Streaming gives me a chance to see more movies without blind-buying them though, which is bad for the industry.
Old 02-02-21, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

During this entire pandemic, I hardly touched my collection. With the exception of watching some old sci-fi/horror stuff around Halloween and a small handful of random titles sprinkled throughout the year, my collection largely went unwatched. I actually dumped a lot of titles last year and don’t miss any of them. That desire to own and rewatch stuff just isn’t there for me anymore. I’ve been streaming WAY more during this pandemic and, honestly, I’m enjoying that a lot more than hunting down physical copies of some movie I might watch once.
Old 02-02-21, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

We have been streaming so much, but I've also been pushing myself to pull unwatched discs off the shelves and give them a spin. I still find myself checking the (always shrinking) media section at Target when we go in, but there's rarely anything I'm interested in.
Old 02-02-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
During this entire pandemic, I hardly touched my collection.
Same. But my excuse is that I had shoved my entire collection into an upstairs closet, with the intention of going through it to keep about a quarter of it and get rid of the rest. After almost a year, I've just now started going through it. But I have to check everyone one to see what something's worth. There are some OOP titles I can get a pretty penny for, but most of them I won't even be able to give away - it's really just those two extremes.
Old 02-02-21, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 839 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I can beat that. I bought a total of 2 titles in the last 4 years.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.