Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 05-26-20, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,212 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Sales increased with shelter in place laws in effect
For players, although not for media. There was some discussion about this article last month.
Old 05-27-20, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

This is from a few weeks ago, but I donít think itís come up here:

According to the most recent data from NPD, less densely populated regions in the U.S., often with lower numbers of COVID-19 cases and less stringent stay-at-home policies, drove up DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales growth. Since the middle of March 2020, video disc sales in the populous, and hardest hit, areas of New England and the Mid-Atlantic Census Divisions were down 2 percent and 3 percent, respectively, compared to the average weekly sales in January and February. Comparatively, disc unit sales in less populated areas with fewer than a million residents increased nearly two times faster than more densely populated areas. ďItís very encouraging to see so much DVD and Blu-ray Disc sales activity happening in these regions, demonstrating consumersí appetite for quality entertainment,Ē Buffone said.
Old 05-27-20, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 422 Likes on 289 Posts

The less densely populated areas also probably have less access to high speed broadband for streaming.
Old 05-27-20, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah, thatís one of the takeaways in the article. I just quoted the physical media bit.
Old 06-12-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 06-12-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 810 Likes on 565 Posts

So there was an increase in overall disc sales for 3 out of 5 weeks... and 4 of 5 weeks DVD sales have in increased.
The question I have is why now?
Old 06-12-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 602 Likes on 443 Posts

Because people stuck at home have have data caps on their internet, or it's gotten flaky, or they found several people trying to stream at once on limited bandwidth doesn't work well, or they can't stream (see prior reasons) due to a "work from home" person needing reliable/consistent internet, so they purchased discs to fill the gap.
Old 06-12-20, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 770 Likes on 645 Posts

Yep, it means people are starting to find out their "unlimited" internet package actually has data caps after streaming most waking hours of the day.
Old 06-12-20, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 422 Likes on 289 Posts

Maybe itís a ďrising tide lifts all boatsĒ kind of situation. Home entertainment consumption as a whole has been up during the pandemic, so physical home media benefits also. Iím sure it hasnít seen as large an uptick as steaming video has.
Old 06-12-20, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So people are spending 10+ dollars per movie to avoid spending extra money on going over their data cap?

The average movie is around 100 minutes - how many movies will they need to buy to fill their viewing time?
I guess TV series are longer, but they generally cost more to buy as well.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to pay the overage fees?

Last edited by Coral; 06-13-20 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-13-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Because people stuck at home have have data caps on their internet, or it's gotten flaky, or they found several people trying to stream at once on limited bandwidth doesn't work well, or they can't stream (see prior reasons) due to a "work from home" person needing reliable/consistent internet, so they purchased discs to fill the gap.
As a teacher, our campus has had to make the switch to Virtual Teaching (live classes) since March via Zoom.

I will say the amount of families that have contacted me about hitting their data limit/cap has been very high. Students (sometimes a few in the same house) as well as their parents all doing Zoom Meetings at the same time have obliterated their data limit/cap often.

On top of that, even if they haven't hit their limit/cap, since there are so many people on a single (home) network at once, the quality of some of my students Zoom Meetings is pretty bad.

The school is in a very affluent community, so money isn't an issue but I know there have been a lot of tech calls on their end.
Old 06-22-20, 10:02 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
So people are spending 10+ dollars per movie to avoid spending extra money on going over their data cap?

The average movie is around 100 minutes - how many movies will they need to buy to fill their viewing time?
I guess TV series are longer, but they generally cost more to buy as well.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper to pay the overage fees?
Not sure on streaming, but to download a 2 hour iTunes movie its about 4-5GB. Assuming it streams for free in 4K, that would probably be 14GBish?

Usually data caps get billed for every 100GB over your allotted cap - but most providers have been waiving it for the past several months. Ya know, for those that have a cap.

Spectrum has no cap, and I think ATT/Verizon don't either if you have a cell/other service with them.
Old 06-24-20, 10:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

COVID-19 Pandemic: U.S. Blu-ray Sales Falls to Almost 10 Year Low | News - Digital Digest

COVID-19 Pandemic: U.S. Blu-ray Sales Falls to Almost 10 Year Low

Several tough months awaits the home entertainment industry, as movie releases dry up and the economic pain starts to be felt

According to data provided by Media Play News and compiled by Digital Digest, weekly Blu-ray revenue for the week ending June 6, 2020, was only $16.35 million, the lowest mark since September 11, 2010 (when Blu-ray revenue was $14.65 million).

A combination of poor retail sales and a lack of high profile releases are thought to be responsible.

The writing was already on the wall when the usually busy Easter period saw sales stagnating. Blu-ray and DVD sales were down 33% compared to Easter 2019, despite many sales occurring online where activities for the purchase of other goods have surged since the lockdown.

Just two weeks prior to the week ending June 6, the release of 'Sonic the Hedgehog' on Blu-ray marked the last major film coming to home video for a while. 'Sonic' was the last major movie to be released theatrically before lockdown measures, designed to slow down the outbreak, forced theater doors to close in the U.S. and in many other places elsewhere. Since then, scores of movies have had their theatrical release delayed, or in some cases, cancelled completely in favor of premium on-demand or subscription based streaming.

The effects of the lockdown and economic downturn on Blu-ray sales have been small, but present, for 2020 so far. Blu-ray sales were down 18.52% compared to the same period in 2019, which in itself was down 17.40% compared to 2018. Physical media sales have been declining steadily due to the increasing popularity of streaming and digital rental/purchases, with Blu-ray revenue having peaked in 2013. So it is difficult to separate what is attributable to the format's gradual decline, and what is down to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Initially, there was some optimism that with people confined to homes, online sales of Blu-ray and DVDs would benefit as people seek to find ways to entertain themselves.

However, movie sales are very much seasonal and dependent on good quality new releases. With no major films coming to theaters until July, and therefore no major films ready to come onto Blu-ray for months, it suggests a dry spell of dry spells for home video releases. The ongoing economic pains could also dampen people's enthusiasm for buying and renting movies.

In other words, the worst may be yet to come.
Old 06-24-20, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,360 Likes on 1,004 Posts

On the one hand, you might think that without new releases, the studios would do more digging into their back catalog for titles that never got even a DVD release.

But on the other hand, why bother investing into physical releases at all?
Old 06-24-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
On the one hand, you might think that without new releases, the studios would do more digging into their back catalog for titles that never got even a DVD release.
I'm sure they looked at past catalog sales and ran the numbers in this covid-19 world and found out it wasn't worth it. They don't move much catalog product in normal times anyways.
Old 06-24-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 770 Likes on 645 Posts

Walmart is about the last physical retailer left standing nationally that cares to stock media. They just very recently reset the media department for more UHDs and BDs.
Old 07-11-20, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 07-11-20, 02:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at those DVD vs Blu-ray percentages. It goes to show how reliant Blu-ray is on the big blockbuster flicks of which we've run out of for now. I wonder how low 4K UHD sales will be for the year.
Old 07-11-20, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,469 Likes on 2,496 Posts

Way down due to severe lack of notable new releases. Just take a peak at The Digital Bits schedule of new releases over the past several weeks and really nothing new has come out.

I doubt many are spending money on $20-25 catalog titles right now.
Old 07-11-20, 03:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What's funny is that we live in the golden age of catalogue titles on disc but it's only the die hard enthusiasts who are purchasing them. Their sales are so small they hardly show up in the revenue numbers for disc media and they won't until those numbers are significantly smaller.
Old 07-11-20, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the thing - as much as BD are relying on bigger new releases, even when those were available they were still only account for around 50% of total disc sales.

Total disc sales continue to decline and it's just 2 formats (3 if you count UHD-BD) battling for scraps.

It's no wonder why Criterion still hasn't jumped on the 4K bandwagon.
Old 07-11-20, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Coral
It's no wonder why Criterion still hasn't jumped on the 4K bandwagon.
There's no chance that the market is there for Criterion to embrace Ultra HD Blu-ray as they have with Blu-ray, where literally everything they release winds up on BD. But no one expects that, and there's not a studio or label the world over that's gone all-in like that.

The right titles would undoubtedly be successful. Just look at how many Criterion titles have been released or announced for a release on UHD BD by other labels: It's a Wonderful Life, Blade Runner, The Wizard of Oz, 2001, Ghostbusters, Lawrence of Arabia, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Dr. Strangelove, Spartacus, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Halloween, Akira, Crash, Videodrome, Chungking Express, In the Mood for Love, Easy Rider, Don't Look Now, Pan's Labyrinth, The Princess Bride, Parasite, and The Elephant Man. (Okay, a bunch of those are Laserdisc-era, but still...) And that's not including the many films not released by Criterion but very much in that same vein, such as The Deer Hunter.

A market doesn't have to be large to be profitable. Even if it's not growing, you have a group of tech-savvy enthusiasts who clearly have money to spend, are hungry for content, and are willing to pay a premium. The barriers to entry have dropped, as evidenced by so many other boutiques experimenting with the format. At the start of last year, there literally wasn't a single boutique release on these shores. Since then, Kino Lorber Studio Classics, Arrow Video / Arrow Academy, Shout Select, Blue Underground, Synapse Films, Discotek, and Vinegar Syndrome (and perhaps others I'm forgetting) have released or announced their first titles. All but Synapse have indicated continued support. And that's in addition to boutique labels overseas like Second Sight, Turbine Media, Elephant Films, Camera Obscura, Le chat qui fume, etc.

Criterion's doing a lot of the necessary work already, with 4K remasters being a pretty regular part of their workflow and even grading for HDR at times even though they have no outlet for that at present.

I'm not blind to the fact that most Criterion films aren't viable on the format as things stand and likely won't ever be. I recognize the additional challenges posed by licensors who cap Criterion at Blu-ray, so potential UHD successes like War of the Worlds, The Elephant Man, and Parasite would never have been in the cards for them. And I realize that the labels listed above have released titles in very small numbers as yet, and the boutiques most directly comparable to Criterion haven't embraced the format to date at all. There have been a number of successes. There is no demonstrated scale.

But there are titles that I'm absolutely certain would succeed. Films with more mainstream appeal such as Silence of the Lambs and The Princess Bride would be obvious candidates. The filmmakers most associated with the Collection -- Tarkovsky, Truffaut, Kurosawa, Bergman, Fellini, the Coens, The Archers, Lynch, Hitchcock, Kubrick, Cronenberg, Anderson, etc. -- all have titles I believe would perform well. If Criterion were ever to revisit films like Beauty and the Beast, The Leopard, or Wages of Fear (each of which already have 4K masters ready to go), Ultra HD Blu-ray could make a reissue more alluring.

I'm not condemning Criterion for steering clear of the format. It hasn't affected my Criterion purchases on any meaningful scale. I'm watching more of their films on Blu-ray now than I have in several years, as I've been revisiting so many of my favorites with my wife. But it is a bit frustrating to see so many smaller boutiques experiment with the format while Criterion remains on the sidelines. Lee Kline's comments about UHD only being consequential when projected onto a very large screen and his near-dismissal of HDR leave me a bit puzzled as well. It'd be one thing to say that the market just isn't there yet, but it's another to suggest that there's not really a point when there are so many UHD BDs that clearly indicate otherwise.

I'm sure "the numbers aren't there" is part of the equation for Criterion, but I think a lot of it is just not wanting to deal with the hassle - how to package/price these, loudly complaining completists, etc. Whether or not an endeavor is worth it doesn't necessarily just come down to dollars and cents.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (07-12-20)
Old 07-11-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm sure "the numbers aren't there" is part of the equation for Criterion, but I think a lot of it is just not wanting to deal with the hassle - how to package/price these, loudly complaining completists, etc. Whether or not an endeavor is worth it doesn't necessarily just come down to dollars and cents.
I strongly suspect Criterion and other similar companies catering to the hardcore crowd, also pay close attention to what posters are saying on the high traffic bluray message boards. They probably know that all it takes is one too many complaints about a particular title, will likely sink the sales of that title.

For a wide general market release, I wouldn't be surprised if the movie companies aren't paying as close attention (ie. Marvel, Star Wars, Warner, Universal, etc ...).
Old 07-11-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Good point. Remember the debacle when they went to dual format releases? People were angered, confused, and complaining so much they quickly abandoned that idea. I'm sure the memory of that pain is weighing upon any decision to release a third format on a separate or combo SKU.

Originally Posted by morriscroy
I strongly suspect Criterion and other similar companies catering to the hardcore crowd, also pay close attention to what posters are saying on the high traffic Blu-ray message boards. They probably know that all it takes is one too many complaints about a particular title, will likely sink the sales of that title.
Ahem....Lost Highway....ahem.
Old 07-11-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by WeeBey
What's funny is that we live in the golden age of catalogue titles on disc but it's only the die hard enthusiasts who are purchasing them. Their sales are so small they hardly show up in the revenue numbers for disc media and they won't until those numbers are significantly smaller.
It's funny how many catalogue titles are coming out considering we're likely at an all-time low of places to buy them. The only way I can get them is ordering online. I guess they sell enough to at least break even or else they wouldn't keep coming out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.