Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It was still close to a $5 billion industry in the U.S. alone last year. The future for optical media is not exactly bright and sunny, but we've got a long way to go until it's niche.
That's why I said "becoming" - my "if it isn't already" comment was mostly sarcastic. But it's definitely headed towards niche.
And you can't just look at the money aspect, since niche really refers to the size of the market in terms of consumers. Luxury yachts bring in billions of dollars in revenue, but it's still a niche market.

Telling people that you're playing a movie or listening to music from a disc gets me the same reaction that you'd get 10 years ago when saying that you're using dial-up to get to the internet.
Old 05-28-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
And you can't just look at the money aspect, since niche really refers to the size of the market in terms of consumers. Luxury yachts bring in billions of dollars in revenue, but it's still a niche market.
Divide the $4.7 billion in revenue in the U.S. by the average price of a DVD/BD (which, I think you'll agree, is considerably less than a luxury yacht). You're still talking about significantly north of 100 million units, and, again, that's excluding the rest of the world. I just can't consider that to be a niche.
Old 05-28-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just can't consider that to be a niche.
... yet.
Old 05-28-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I saw retail forces conspire to more or less kill off CD sales over the past three years. The music industry let it happen because they like the easy money of streaming revenue. The intense corporate consolidation of the past two decades in music didn't help much, either.

Once Hollywood thinks streaming revenue is big enough, they will help finish off physical media themselves. The endgame is permanently finishing off the concept of "personal ownership" by consumers. You don't own that film or song when you buy it, you paid a monthly fee to license it. That is where all entertainment industries are headed.

This may not happen in the next five years but it's a strong possibility by 2030.
Old 05-28-18, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I saw retail forces conspire to more or less kill off CD sales over the past three years. The music industry let it happen because they like the easy money of streaming revenue. The intense corporate consolidation of the past two decades in music didn't help much, either.

Once Hollywood thinks streaming revenue is big enough, they will help finish off physical media themselves. The endgame is permanently finishing off the concept of "personal ownership" by consumers. You don't own that film or song when you buy it, you paid a monthly fee to license it. That is where all entertainment industries are headed.

This may not happen in the next five years but it's a strong possibility by 2030.
I don’t really care about “owning” a film physically or digitally. If I want to watch it I can stream it somewhere/rent it.

I know the “but what if its not available anywhere to stream?!?” Comments, but really, not every film is readily available on disc either.
Old 05-28-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
I don’t really care about “owning” a film physically or digitally. If I want to watch it I can stream it somewhere/rent it.

I know the “but what if its not available anywhere to stream?!?” Comments, but really, not every film is readily available on disc either.
That may be the case but if you bought it when it was available, you have it at your fingertips when you want it. And you don;t have to worry about bootlegs or streaming illegally.

I have many out of print movies and CDs that I hope never get hit by rot or broken because a ton of stuff is just not out there like the "just stream it" crowd claims it is.
Old 05-28-18, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Originally Posted by Gizmo

That may be the case but if you bought it when it was available, you have it at your fingertips when you want it. And you don;t have to worry about bootlegs or streaming illegally.

I have many out of print movies and CDs that I hope never get hit by rot or broken because a ton of stuff is just not out there like the "just stream it" crowd claims it is.
I'm pretty much at the point where I can live with not accessing a particular piece of music, video, movie, tv show, book, etc ... regardless of the circumstances.

I've come to the realization and accept fully that I am not a tv/movie person at heart. I now know that most of my interest in dvd/bluray, had more to do with OCD compulsive buying/collecting than any actual genuine interest in movies + tv shows.
Old 05-29-18, 08:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

I would have to be collecting discs for 20 years to be able to not worry about that. Movies come and go so fast sometimes. Want to see Dawn of the Dead 1978? Good luck!

I own my favorites on discs so I’m fine. Maybe I miss a few catalog titles, but the ones I’m primary interested in are likely expensive or limited anyway (if I don’t already own them)
Old 05-29-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Streaming is the big reason ownership isn't as important to most people as it once was, but not just because you can theoretically watch it whenever you want on a streaming service.

Streaming services give people access to so many movies and shows that why bother watching something you already saw (whether streaming or on physical disc) when you can watch something new you haven't seen before?

When I was buying DVDs I found myself skipping the supplements more and more because I had so many other movies to watch and was falling behind. Now with streaming, it's a lot harder for me to watch the same movie over again when there's just so many other movies/shows I haven't watched before. I think this is a becoming a big factor with ownership. Movies are disposable to most people... watch it and move on.
Old 05-29-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy
I'm pretty much at the point where I can live with not accessing a particular piece of music, video, movie, tv show, book, etc ... regardless of the circumstances.

I've come to the realization and accept fully that I am not a tv/movie person at heart. I now know that most of my interest in dvd/bluray, had more to do with OCD compulsive buying/collecting than any actual genuine interest in movies + tv shows.
I'm somewhat in the same boat. I liked the idea of having a great movie sitting on my shelf available to watch whenever I wanted - but realized that most would just sit there after one viewing only - so I figured what was the point of having it if I'm not going to watch it for many years?

Many were caught up in the OCD/collecting in the early DVD days. I remember during the early DVD years (when LaserDiscs still had some value), that someone wouldn't sell off a LD after the DVD came out simply because the DVD didn't come with the movies trailer in the supplements which the LD had. Even then I was amazed at someone turning down the money he would've gotten from selling the LD all because of a movie trailer. Who takes a movie from the shelf, pops it into their player just to watch the trailer?
Old 05-29-18, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Coral
Who takes a movie from the shelf, pops it into their player just to watch the trailer?
coughcough
Old 05-29-18, 09:51 AM
Suspended

He has Dark Man on 9 different movie formats. Ya know, just in case he really wants to watch it on Laserdisc or HD DVD.
Old 05-29-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't believe it, because he would have to first find the shelf... then the movie... then his DVD/BD player. No way he finds all three of those things in his apartment.
Old 05-29-18, 05:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Global numbers are in and physical media is continuing to shrink, this time down 50% year on year. Streaming media is up a whopping 161% which means it's likely to be the biggest source of revenue for Hollywood either this year or next year. Theatrical revenue has been growing outside of the US but is mostly flat overall.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1527584684
Old 05-29-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by WeeBey
Global numbers are in and physical media is continuing to shrink, this time down 50% year on year.
That's not year over year.

The graph shows a 15.5% decline for physical media between 2016 and 2017. Also, streaming media is up 30.9% from 2016, not 161%.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 05-29-18 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-29-18, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Dear Gawd!
Old 05-30-18, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Black Panther, I presume...
Old 05-30-18, 02:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's not year over year.

The graph shows a 15.5% decline for physical media between 2016 and 2017. Also, streaming media is up 30.9% from 2016, not 161%.
Yes, sorry, I misread.
Old 05-30-18, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Don't know if this article has been brought up, but it states the obvious- regardless of market trends, there are people who love this stuff and will continue to spend money on it as long as there's things worth buying.
https://www.mediaplaynews.com/super-...sc-dvd-market/
Old 05-30-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Heh.

A market which is highly dependent on hardcore fanatics and/or OCD compulsive completionist collectors?
Old 05-30-18, 09:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by WeeBey
Yes, sorry, I misread.
Ugh, quite a mis-read.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Don't know if this article has been brought up, but it states the obvious- regardless of market trends, there are people who love this stuff and will continue to spend money on it as long as there's things worth buying.
https://www.mediaplaynews.com/super-...sc-dvd-market/
And as long as money can be made via physical media, the studios will continue to release stuff this way. That’s why it will never fully go away. Just because we don’t see countless aisles at Target anymore carrying it, it still exists and can be purchased rather easily.
Old 05-30-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

But once a product space loses its mass market appeal, prices quickly go up and everything starts falling apart. It's much easier being a superconsumer when the market supports millions of others in it.

Studios may start licensing everything out to labels like Shout Factory. We are already seeing things like that happen.
Old 05-30-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Wow, those are some huge bumps in sales. it must be Black Panther. That was the biggest release in the last 2 weeks.
Old 05-30-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
But once a product space loses its mass market appeal, prices quickly go up and everything starts falling apart. It's much easier being a superconsumer when the market supports millions of others in it.

Studios may start licensing everything out to labels like Shout Factory. We are already seeing things like that happen.
I can't see new theatrical disc releases losing mass market appeal (especially with the digital code included), and catalog has been niche for many years now but the prices have not gone up.
Old 05-31-18, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Going forward the 4K may outsell the BD as the preferred among those who wish to own physical copy as the market settles further into final preferences.
That's never going to happen. It'll always have a price premium over BD, and never have the depth of titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.