Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Is it me, does it seem like the studios are more willing to license out their catalog titles to Criterion for a BD release?

It's always been thought that catalog titles on BD aren't selling well at all, and the fact that the studios are willing to license them out have to be some sort of indication I would think.
Old 08-28-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I miss Pro-B.
Old 08-28-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
There are several reasons why Blu-ray sales figures rise and DVDs fall.

Selling DVD SKU's that include a BD but having it counts towards BDs numbers (Toy Story 1/2, Disney Classics, many others).

Offering stores (big)rebates to order more BD/DVD/DC combos (and guaranteed refunds if they don't sell in x amount of time)

Cutting Special Features from DVDs and having them appear on BDs only

Avatar sucked. That's why it's numbers are in the crappier

Some other reasons, but there is no real point in discussing them here. We can even see how Blu-ray has failed studio expectations by the lack of catalog releases in 2010 by three major studios, packing in DVD copies with almost every new release, packing in DC with almost every new release, re-packaging catalog BD with DVDs etc.

But eh. I'm just a hater anyone
Avatar shows how much DVD sales has slumped, but it also shows how much Blu-Ray has grown for a great "Guy/Action" movie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...on-record.html

Twentieth Century Fox announced Sunday that James Cameron's sci-fi epic has sold 2.7 million Blu-rays and 4 million DVDs since April 22.

The first day/week Blu-ray sold about 65% of the DVD sales.

So, if the % stays true over the past 4 months, then it would have sold about 5 million copies of BR. That would bring the BR/DVD total to about 13 million, and this USA only.

Not bad.
Old 08-28-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I agree the average person is burned-out from buying every title on DVD. The thrill of purchasing is gone as people mull over their vast DVD collections and realize many titles have only been watched maybe once or twice, maybe never.

So many changes have occured since DVD really caught fire. The local cable providers now have the films on-demand the exact same day the DVD is released.

I think there is just much more competition for our free time nowadays; Games, surfing the net, e-mail, 150+ channels on TV, downloading music, uploading our iPods, watching YouTube, sorting digital photos and so on.
Not to mention, I now have Netflix and Hulu both on my PS3 and iPhone. And Netflix's instant library keeps getting better and better. With that kind of selection, I'm not in a hurry to buy new titles...
Old 08-28-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I miss Pro-B.
Whatever happened to him? He lose it one day, or what?
Old 08-28-10, 01:29 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Avatar shows how much DVD sales has slumped, but it also shows how much Blu-Ray has grown for a great "Guy/Action" movie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...on-record.html

Twentieth Century Fox announced Sunday that James Cameron's sci-fi epic has sold 2.7 million Blu-rays and 4 million DVDs since April 22.

The first day/week Blu-ray sold about 65% of the DVD sales.

So, if the % stays true over the past 4 months, then it would have sold about 5 million copies of BR. That would bring the BR/DVD total to about 13 million, and this USA only.

Not bad.
Avatar is (sadly) one of the biggest movies of all time. You can't really judge it's success on Blu-ray as the common denominator for what the format is or will become (plus the BD packed in a DVD and was only $3-$5 more dollars at retail). Avatar is the perfect film for the Blu-ray demographic (CGI, Sci-Fi).

As of right now, three studios are unhappy with catalog sales on Blu-ray (and DVD. But on DVD, they have released 80-85% of their entire catalog anyway so it's not going to be fresh). All you need to do is look at the release schedule and see which three they are. Hell, I'll spell it out - Paramount, Disney and Universal. Paramount has released maybe a dozen catalog, same with Disney (just as pitiful as last year) and Universal has slowed down/delayed/canceled a ton of releases. Until catalog sales pick up (which it looks like it never will), we will continue to see a slowdown. Not to mention studios cutting corners by not going all out in the Picture/Audio restoration, Special Features etc. Thankfully some studios are happy to release budget titles (Warner, Lionsgate, MGM) and they are enjoying sales. I think I've probably imported more catalog releases from the UK/Canada this year then titles purchased in America.
Old 08-28-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
.....not to mention studios cutting corners by not going all out in the Picture/Audio restoration, Special Features etc.
This really chaps my hide. There have been far too many poor transfers and/or bare-bones releases thus far on a format touted to be superior in every way.
Old 08-28-10, 02:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
This really chaps my hide. There have been far too many poor transfers and/or bare-bones releases thus far on a format touted to be superior in every way.
I'm at the point of not caring anymore unless it's Predator's bad. Studios will simply not spend the money anymore to make these lavish Collectors Editions when no one will buy them at 'normal' price (when it dips below $10 they will). It's why Warner keeps pumping out these Collectors Sets (Goonies, Oz), because the amount extra to make them is little and they get much more back in return. Double Feature discs will be Blu-rays future. It's a way to stock two movies in one case. It does not matter if it's Open Water 1/2 or Open Water BD + DVD Combo. Getting rid of a SKU means stores are more likely to stock it and they can charge a slighter higher price. We'll see in Q4 how things shake out (anyone notice the Media sections at Best Buy shrinking? You will). Blu-ray isn't going anywhere (i.e. death), but there may be a swing in how studios release titles (how, when, price). The recent Netflix deal with Epic for streaming rights is shaking up things (and Blockbuster now filing for bankruptcy..).
Old 08-28-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Take for instance the recent release of Escape from New York. It's a favorite of mine, but I'm torn as to what to do. On the one hand it seems to be a definite upgrade to both PQ and AQ. Yet on the other hand, MGM has elected to completely exclude all of the bonus features from the fantastic Special Edition DVD. What do we get instead? An effing flipper disc of the movie on DVD!

Much like the retailers, I too have only so much room upon my shelves, and don't wish to "stock" multiple SKUs. Add to this, the fact that while the Blu-ray is only $13, next year will be the film's 30th Anniversary, and one's trepidation over a possible triple dip begins to surface. That's enough to leave this prospective buyer on the sidelines for now.
Old 08-28-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

^ Much like the retailers, I too have only so much room upon my shelves, and don't wish to "stock" multiple SKUs. Add to this, the fact that while the Blu-ray is only $13, next year will be the film's 30th Anniversary, and one's trepidation over a possible triple dip begins to surface. That's enough to leave this prospective buyer on the sidelines for now.
Another good reason Blu-ray hasn't had an easy go. We've all played this game before of running out and buying the bare-bones version and then double and triple dipping for the next three or four years.

If you buy the 30th Anniversary Escape From New York on Blu, chances are it will probably just be the movie in 1080p with the same extras (or less) in 480i.
For an extra $8 they might put it in a cool Steelbook case too.

This is just movie-watching technology. When you start adding computers, cell phones, game consoles, iPods, GPS, satellite radio, PVR etc. there's a lot of gadgets out there to upgrade yourself into a financial pit.

Most of us have to prioritize what's really important and replacing the DVD collection with Blu just doesn't rank high on the list.

Last edited by orangerunner; 08-28-10 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

^ Take for instance the recent release of Escape from New York. It's a favorite of mine, but I'm torn as to what to do. On the one hand it seems to be a definite upgrade to both PQ and AQ. Yet on the other hand, MGM has elected to completely exclude all of the bonus features from the fantastic Special Edition DVD. What do we get instead? An effing flipper disc of the movie on DVD!

Much like the retailers, I too have only so much room upon my shelves, and don't wish to "stock" multiple SKUs.
I have around 200 DVDs in my collection (which I find is way too large) and I've never watched any of the bonus features more than once except for one title. I've realized that I would rather watch a film that I haven't seen or one that I have and absolutely loved, instead of watching bonus material of any movie for the 2nd time.

I don't think I'm the only one who's burnt out on bonus features. If a BD movie comes with them, fine... but I won't upgrade my barebone BDs to a SE just for bonus features like I did at times with DVD. I have to believe that'll play a factor with BD sales much like people looking back at their DVD collection wondering why they've bought so many titles they've only watched once.
Old 08-28-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Whatever happened to him? He lose it one day, or what?
I think the pretentiousness police called; they wanted their shtick back.
Old 08-28-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I miss Pro-B.
Fear not! He lurketh still.
Old 08-29-10, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think movies are turning back into a mostly rental format for people. The collecting of the early 2000s is over. Studies are just going to have to deal with it. Most of the people I know that used to buy large numbers of movies haven't moved to BD, they have just stopped buying movies. They would rather get everything from Netflix or Red Box.
Old 08-29-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking over my DVD collection at special edition packages like Fight Club, Boogie Nights, Escape from New York and thought it was kinda ashame that titles don't get the same treatment. Sure, Warner has been releasing some nice digibooks but overall the studios haven't really embraced Blu-ray the same way they did back in DVD's heyday.
Old 08-29-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I was looking over my DVD collection at special edition packages like Fight Club, Boogie Nights, Escape from New York and thought it was kinda ashame that titles don't get the same treatment. Sure, Warner has been releasing some nice digibooks but overall the studios haven't really embraced Blu-ray the same way they did back in DVD's heyday.
Yea, just look at Treasure of Sierra Madre and Maltese Falcon Special Edition DVDs vs. their upcoming Blu-ray counterparts.
Old 08-29-10, 04:42 PM

Yea, just look at Treasure of Sierra Madre and Maltese Falcon Special Edition DVDs vs. their upcoming Blu-ray counterparts.
There's also a chintziness (is that a word?) to a lot of titles I am holding out on purchasing. When Escape From New York is released with that cheap-ass looking artwork and marketing crap pasted everywhere on the cover (Look ! This is a Blu-Ray + DVD Edition!!!), it just reinforces the fact that I am about purchase a piece of consumer oriented junk. I know that's the case either way, but I just wish it wasn't so crass. Please let me feel like I am purchasing something classy

Last edited by Strevlac; 08-29-10 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

That to me is by far the biggest reason that Blu will not completely take over DVD and why sales are not the best either. I have way to may DVD's to replace and to me there are several Blu's that are not up to what we have been promised.

Pretty soon streaming will take over anyway...
Old 08-31-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by darkside
I think movies are turning back into a mostly rental format for people. The collecting of the early 2000s is over. Studies are just going to have to deal with it. Most of the people I know that used to buy large numbers of movies haven't moved to BD, they have just stopped buying movies. They would rather get everything from Netflix or Red Box.
That is me. I was a big fan of DVD collecting, and then one day I looked over my library, and I simply asked myself why. When I used to work at a job where I could watch these things multiple times, including commentaries, while I worked, it made perfect sense.

Now, I don't have the time to spend with it, and frankly I don't want to spend that money anymore. I am almost completely a Netflix/Hulu person now. I have a few BDs I bought, and I don't even know why I bought them. I will only now buy a BD for a movie I know I will rewatch multiple times, and I'm guessing that will be less than 10 releases a year.

I simply love streaming, even if the quality isn't close to BD. The one thing I do miss, is proper surround. Streaming video has improved, but still no 5.1 streaming on Netflix? Shameful.
Old 08-31-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Without reading the rest of the thread or providing reasons, I believe the title but those comparisons are very shunted.
Old 08-31-10, 03:37 PM

If the studios want joe sixpack to switch they should just stop making dvds and hand out free blu-ray players when you buy a BD... problem solved.
Old 08-31-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting read from Home Media Magazine. I particularly like the last sentance.
And Just Where, Exactly, Are We Headed?

By: Thomas K. Arnold | Posted: 31 Aug 2010

As we move toward yet another critical fourth quarter--which in this business tends to have a "soft opening" in September, with the first trickle of high-profile DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases--is there anyone out there with a firm grasp on where, exactly, this business is heading?

The national economy is certainly one factor, and here the prognosis is cloudier than ever. For months, we've been talking about "recovery," and yet with joblessness still at record highs and the recent news of an abrupt slowdown in the housing market, the latest jabber from Washington is about this being a "jobless recovery," whatever that's supposed to mean. Let's face it: if people don't have jobs, they aren't going to have money. And if they don't have money, they can't spend it. And anytime you have a slowdown in consumer spending, guess what? It's the "R" word again (as in "recession," for those with short attention spans).

So in short, the recovery is petering out--if there ever was a recovery. And there's a whole school of economic thought that believes once the Bush tax cuts expire at the end of the year, the economy will tank even further than it did the last time around. This could mean a robust fourth quarter for DVD and Blu-ray Disc sales, followed by another dramatic slowdown--for the third consecutive year.

Of course, that's the worst-case scenario--and, ultimately, we're not going to know what's going to happen until it happens. And if we're looking for clarification by studying some of our own industry's economic indicators, the outlook is just as murky. DVD and Blu-ray Disc software sales are still down from last year, and what's more frightening is that if you compare the box office strength of movies released in the first half of this year to that of movies released in the first half of 2009, you'll find the 2010 tally is significantly higher--which makes the gap in consumer spending even more disturbing.

Just in the last week, we have learned that 1) shipments of televisions in North American fell 3% in the second quarter; 2) sales of HDTVs with big screen sizes (40 to 65 inches) rose 26% in June; 3) Coinstar, parent of home entertainment wunderkind Redbox, made Fortune magazine's list of 2010's top 100 fastest-growing companies (on the eve of Redbox's upcoming announcement that it has just clocked its one-billionth rental, I'm told); 4) Blockbuster is on the verge of filing for prepackaged bankruptcy; 5) summer movie attendance, despite 3D, fell to a 13-year low; and 6) just as 3D software, on Blu-ray Disc, is gearing up to appear on the market, we're hearing talk that Toshiba is developing a 3D system that doesn't require glasses, creating further confusion--and, potential, consumer hesitancy.

So what to make of all this information? Your guess is as good as mine. I will say that I had an interesting conversation the other day with a manager at the local Best Buy, and he said that while Blu-ray Disc hardware sales had slowed--a fact he attributes to 1) some consumers wanting to wait for 3D players, and 2) other consumers still not knowing what Blu-ray is--Blu-ray software sales had picked up significantly. "It's the price," he said. "You can get Blu-ray Discs for 10 bucks, and that's making Blu-ray owners, who already are really into movies, buy like crazy."
Old 08-31-10, 11:24 PM
Suspended

We'll know tomorrow. Apple is readying an new AppleTV that may include Netflix and Amaxon is ready to launch a streaming service. Physical media is going to be saying bye-bye a hell of a lot faster.
Old 08-31-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a little over 400 DVD/BRs, most of the ones I have bought are the ones I will watch at sometime over a 2 year time frame. I love having movies around when a friend or another couple comes over to have a dinner and a movie, this way we can look through my titles and pick the correct on for the night.

In my collection are all the old classics I have wanted to pickup, now I only pick up an oldie if it is on BR and is $9.99 or less. Of coarse I pick up the great new BRs like TDK and IronMan, these I will watch several times a year and enjoy the heck out of them.

I have not bought a DVD in about 1 1/2 years, BRs are the only way for me. So I have added to the downfall of the DVD King, but I have also encouraged the future champ - Mr BR.

As more move to BR, they will be more selective and only pick up movies they will watch over and over again.

The next generation will be buying HDTV/BRs in the future, then they will also want to pick up some of the classics on BR - "What goes around, comes around".
Old 08-31-10, 11:53 PM
Cool New Member

I don't expect streaming HD video to replace physical media for at least another decade. It'll bite into sales, of course. But it won't replace physical media until high-speed connectivity with no or minimal transfer limits are available to 90%+ of the population at reasonable rates. Unless there is some miracle breakthrough in data capacity over existing infrastructure, those items are probably a minimum of 10+ years away in the US.

... Or until cable companies roll out their own non-Internet based streaming service built into their boxes. This could happen sooner. But the cable industry isn't known for moving quickly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.