Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 01-29-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by milo bloom
A lot of the streaming sites remind me of how Cartoon Network changed over the years. When they started out, they had access to a ton of old cartoons and played the hell out of them and we thought it was great. Then they started mixing in their own, and many of them were pretty good, but not all of them and then they started pushing more of the old stuff to another channel (Boomerang) which a lot of cable providers weirdly put on another price tier) and it lost what made it special.

We cut the cord about 8-9 years ago, and started doing streaming because they had a lot of old stuff, but then the studios started getting greedy and pulling stuff and making their own streaming services and ruined it for everybody. I'll tell you right now I'm not paying $7/month to watch that new Star Trek show and I guarantee I'm not alone.

Until these streaming sites get their heads straight, I'll be hanging on to a lot of my DVDs (like the Adult Swim stuff and the Looney Tunes), but I'm just not seeing the studios putting a lot more effort into classic cartoon and tv releases.
That's a good analogy, using Cartoon Network. Ironically, now Boomerang is loaded up with Cartoon Network's old junk. Hasn't the streaming selection always been iffy for older films? I can only speak for Netflix (never paid much attention to the movie selection on Hulu or Prime), but I don't recall their streaming catalog being anymore robust five years ago than it is now. Maybe it was for TV shows, but I'm not much of a classic TV watcher. That's why I still have their disc-by-mail service.
Old 01-29-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 840 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
That's my concern with the future of catalog Blu-ray is that all we'll see is low press-run/high price titles from Kino, Olive, Criterion and Shout!
It's apparent that is where the market for almost all media is going.

I believe the Hollywood studios will eventually get out of the catalog business altogether for physical media. Everything will be licensed to Shout Factory and other labels.

Consumer response to UHD will determine how soon the studios switch from their current business model.
Old 01-29-17, 02:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And prices will go way up. At least as high as laserdiscs were.
Old 01-29-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's apparent that is where the market for almost all media is going.

I believe the Hollywood studios will eventually get out of the catalog business altogether for physical media. Everything will be licensed to Shout Factory and other labels.

Consumer response to UHD will determine how soon the studios switch from their current business model.
It's already happening.

Catalog releases from the major studios are rare for anything outside of a-list material.

It will be interesting to see what Warners does; they seem to be steadfastly opposed to licensing their catalog out to other publishers.
Old 01-29-17, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,257 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It will be interesting to see what Warners does; they seem to be steadfastly opposed to licensing their catalog out to other publishers.
They don't need to license if they keep Warner Archive going.
Old 01-30-17, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
They don't need to license if they keep Warner Archive going.
Yeah. They've ramped up the pace to 3 or 4 BDs per month.
Old 01-30-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony corporate executives are blaming poor DVD sales after writing down nearly a billion dollars on its Hollywood business.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/son...ess-2017-01-30

I would call this spin by the Hollywood unit to cover for underperforming reboots like the Ghostbusters movie.
Old 01-30-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
HMV's Criterion prices were ridiculous though. I'd often see them going for $40 . Even their clearance prices when they close stores are priced higher than regular prices elsewhere. I say good riddance to them.
Originally Posted by orangerunner
I rarely shopped at HMV and I'm surprised they held-on for as long as they did. I was even more surprised when they opened up the new Vancouver store in 2014.

As far as prices go, I thought they were within market standards. They had quite a few regular Blu-ray titles that were were 3/$15 or 2/$15, which is reasonable and certainly not out-of-line with Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

A far as I know the only viable option for Criterions is Amazon.ca in which most titles are $35+.

That's my concern with the future of catalog Blu-ray is that all we'll see is low press-run/high price titles from Kino, Olive, Criterion and Shout!
Amazon.ca is not any better with the exception of their initial pre-order phase for Criterion. Canadian don't have much choice.
Old 01-30-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Sony corporate executives are blaming poor DVD sales after writing down nearly a billion dollars on its Hollywood business.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/son...ess-2017-01-30

I would call this spin by the Hollywood unit to cover for underperforming reboots like the Ghostbusters movie.
Hopefully that fiasco will keep them from producing shit like that in the future. Of course, past history indicates that it won't.
Old 01-30-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Amazon.ca is not any better with the exception of their initial pre-order phase for Criterion. Canadian don't have much choice.
Sure they do... they could order from BN when they have their Criterion sales... or just not buy at all.... or get them by other means .
Old 01-30-17, 06:35 PM

What's the shipping like to Canada from B&N? Do they charge an import fee?
Old 01-30-17, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The writing has been on the wall with Sony Pictures/Columbia for a long time now, and it had nothing to do with home media sales.

Piss poor direction of a company that crams Sony product placement into every single movie they make combined with creatively bankrupt minds that hotshot their casting to whoever they can get with a name. My friend and I have a running game of spot the Sony product every time we watch a Sony movie.
Old 01-31-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jjcool
Hopefully that fiasco will keep them from producing shit like that in the future. Of course, past history indicates that it won't.
Hollywood studios never learn from their mistakes because everyone gets fired the first time they make a turkey like Ghostbusters. So you get a new bunch of executives making the same mistakes.

Sony has actually been pretty good at making modestly budgeted movies over the past decade, they just have the worst instincts possible when it comes to big budget stuff. Successful blockbusters pay the bills in Hollywood for everything.
Old 01-31-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Sony has actually been pretty good at making modestly budgeted movies over the past decade, they just have the worst instincts possible when it comes to big budget stuff. Successful blockbusters pay the bills in Hollywood for everything.
Their seemingly endless contract with Adam Sandler hasn't been much help either.
Old 01-31-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 648 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Sure they do... they could order from BN when they have their Criterion sales... or just not buy at all.... or get them by other means .
Even better, if they're within a reasonable driving distance of the border (as many in Ontario are, in particular), or know someone who is, they can get a U.S. mailbox, or sign up with one of the absolutely jaw-dropping number of "parcel pickup" services available in places like Niagara Falls and Michigan, among others, and save a ton of cash by skipping the cross-border shipping and all it's related hassles. I'm sure entrepreneurs in states bordering the other provinces have figured this out. The places I use in NY and MI are packed to the literal rafters with stuff destined for Canada.

Aside from Amazon's occasionally decent sales, I rarely buy discs in Canada because of the general pricing, and my collection is massive.

Regarding the downward spiral, though, I have been buying a LOT of discs (and even a few tapes!) at fire sale prices lately thanks to the rapid-fire closings of a couple of legendary rental stores here in Toronto. It's been awesome finally filling in so many gaps in my "wanna see" list. There are a few more stores here that I suspect will be following suit in the next year or so. Because of the general scarcity of product up here in comparison with the U.S., I've noticed a LOT of the discs I've picked up for $1 - $5 have resale values on Amazon Canada's marketplace of MANY times that, and the stuff actually sells! Unless I end up keeping it, of course.

And now I'll be visiting the aforementioned HMV superstore a few times a week as April approaches to see what bargains I can get. Most of my previous visits there over the past few years have been solely to scour their rather small "clearance" rack, which has turned up some very nice (and very profitable) surprises over the years.

I must admit I've been stocking up a lot of wishlist-type stuff -- some would argue too much -- from all over the place during the past couple of years, precisely because I knew these days were on their way.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-31-17 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-01-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hollywood studios never learn from their mistakes because everyone gets fired the first time they make a turkey like Ghostbusters. So you get a new bunch of executives making the same mistakes.

And the cycle continues, unfortunately.
Old 02-01-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

Sounds like how the music and book business functions. For every big hit such as Michael Jackson, Madonna, N'Sync, New Kids On The Block, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter, The Thorn Birds, John Grisham, Salman Rushdie, etc ..., they subsidize all the flops we never hear about.
Old 02-02-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Sounds like how the music and book business functions. For every big hit such as Michael Jackson, Madonna, N'Sync, New Kids On The Block, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Da Vinci Code, Harry Potter, The Thorn Birds, John Grisham, Salman Rushdie, etc ..., they subsidize all the flops we never hear about.
But don't books and music have a bit of protection, in that they can press or print as many or as few copies as they think will sell. Then go back and print more if needed? In movies, they can release the movie to fewer theaters, but that doesnt save the producers money, rather limits the money they can make. The money for a movie is spent in the production and advertising before the public is even given the option to pay or not pay to see it. And they spend more on movies, dont they? I dont know of any authors that are paid hundreds of millions of dollars up front to write a book, ditto with recording acts. Sure they are paid a decent amount of money up front, and then make more on the back end, as some actors and directors do. But we dont see these book and music projects costing hundreds of millions of dollars.
Old 02-04-17, 12:15 AM

Study published by PayPal:

Consumers are increasingly watching video away from the television. A new study commissioned by PayPal found 58% of video consumers watch content on a mobile phone, followed by a tablet.

The self-serving study of 10,000 respondents (purchasing online via credit card or PayPal) in the United States, United Kingdom, Russia, Poland, Japan, Germany, United Arab Emigrants, France, Spain and Italy found more than 50% of American viewers prefer Netflix over other SVOD services; 75% pay for streaming channels versus 41% who purchase downloads.
Not great news for discs.

Some other not great news, global disc sales are plummeting.

Sales of DVD and Blu-ray Disc titles worldwide topped $18 billion in 2016, down 17% from $21.6 billion in 2015, and are expected to drop to $9.1 billion by 2020, according to new data from Futuresource Consulting.

In the United States, the decline was below double-digits with disc sales ($5.5 billion) down about 8% from $6 billion in 2015, according to DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group.

Packaged media sales softness continues as consumers increasingly opt for subscription streaming services – led by Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Hulu (in the U.S. only).
It's not like people aren't spending money on video, it's that their budget for video is being eaten up by streaming services:

Regardless, digital video spending worldwide grew 30%, reaching $22 billion, compared to $17.5 billion in 2015 with 60% spent on SVOD – a percentage that undoubtedly increased last year. Indeed, Futuresource said there continue to concerns about softness within digital transactions, with both rental and EST under performing.
EST is digital purchases. In other words, it's like what I was saying before about people going for streaming video on demand instead of owning video on any format, disc or digital. Exactly what happened to music.

Last edited by WeeBey; 02-04-17 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-04-17, 12:24 AM

BTW, they say UHD provided a minor boost for Blu0ray sales in 2016.
Old 02-04-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 483 Posts

^^And that's all because the majority of people would rather "rent" than own. Streaming has simply supplanted the corner video store/kiosk. Most people will own physical copies of a handful of favorites - both music and movies - but that's about it. They generally don't care about "owning" digital copies either. They are not collectors.
Old 02-04-17, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^^And that's all because the majority of people would rather "rent" than own. Streaming has simply supplanted the corner video store/kiosk. Most people will own physical copies of a handful of favorites - both music and movies - but that's about it. They generally don't care about "owning" digital copies either. They are not collectors.
It's not mearly trading corner store rentals for streaming because this new trend is being accompanied by sharp declines in disc sales. This means people who were buying movies are not anymore. It will be interesting to see where the floor is.

Already, there is a dearth of catalogue releases from the big studios because only new movies sell in any appreciable numbers. Will we get to point where this is reduced to only big blockbuster movies and everything else is digital only or left to boutique labels?

Just as an aside, It's interesting to note that SVOD is also supplanting digital rentals.
Old 02-05-17, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 457 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by WeeBey
Will we get to point where this is reduced to only big blockbuster movies and everything else is digital only or left to boutique labels?
I think new releases are still guaranteed to get physical releases for quite a while.
Old 02-06-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Every time sales numbers come up and are negative, we tend to look at them as “the general public/millennials/whoever aren’t buying discs because they’re minimalists/stream everything/don’t want to own stuff/some other bs.” I don’t think the general public were ever going to be big spenders on DVDs and BDs. Sure, there was a spike in buying during the early/mid part of the last decade, but was that due to average people wanting to build their own libraries or was it due to impulse buys because DVDs were becoming so cheap? Probably a bit of both, but if the general public were really interested in building their libraries, why aren’t we seeing more upticks in sales?

I stand by my theory that the general public never put much thought in owning movies and what we saw around 10-15 years ago was more an anomaly than the new normal. If it was a “new normal,” we would have seen a more significant uptick in sales by now.

On a more positive note, 2016 had sales up for most of the year, so maybe we’ve already hit bottom and are returning to a stabilized normal? The studios don’t appear to be flipping out about declining disc sales (except for that thing put out by Sony), they appear to know what to expect from catalog sales, and the boutique labels are putting out catalog titles at a steady pace.

Would anyone happen to have to have sales figures or charts from the last decade? I think it’s be nice to have a visual reference from maybe ’06 to present.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.