Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 05-12-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by Steve
i don't get why studios are even making DVDs , except for the catalogue items that don't have a blu-ray release. As long as DVDs are being released, it gives some people less reason to go blu.

Since blu-ray players are pretty cheap now ($50 can get you one), and they all can play DVDs, I just don't understand why studios keep making DVD and DVD players.

?
Many people just went from a DVD player to Netflix and didn't bother with Blu-ray.

DVD is still the most versatile format. Everybody's grandmother has one, they play on portable players, most computers, laptops and car players.

DVD discs are still much cheaper to press than Blu-ray discs, especially on smaller quantities. Blu-ray still charges higher licensing fees on their discs.

DVD picture quality still looks pretty good.
Old 05-12-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,081 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
As I noted above, the DVD is absolutely barebones, not a single extra. There's still tons of copies at the stores of the DVD that will probably end up at Big Lots in a few months.
I can't see any way that Disney would let their biggest title show up at Big Lots. They'll pay to have them destroyed before that happens.
Old 05-12-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I can't see any way that Disney would let their biggest title show up at Big Lots. They'll pay to have them destroyed before that happens.
Either that or anybody redeeming DMR points for the "Mystery DVD" will be getting a copy of Ep 7 for years to come.
Old 05-12-16, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Originally Posted by bruceames
Did you understand what I wrote Troll? Doesn't look that way.
Originally Posted by AaronSch
This stops now.
Old 05-12-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 937 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Many people just went from a DVD player to Netflix and didn't bother with Blu-ray.

DVD is still the most versatile format. Everybody's grandmother has one, they play on portable players, most computers, laptops and car players.

DVD discs are still much cheaper to press than Blu-ray discs, especially on smaller quantities. Blu-ray still charges higher licensing fees on their discs.

DVD picture quality still looks pretty good.
Exactly.

The idea that people will adopt BD just because the studio kills off DVD is naive. All that does is force most to stop buying altogether, push them to streaming or pirating.

DVD is too entrenched for the studios to bail on it. It still sells the most movies.
The gain in BD sales won't make up for the elimination of the DVD revenue stream.

Now you can imagine how much of an uphill battle UHD has.
Old 05-12-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts

^ But HDR man. HDR, HDR,HDR,HDR 4evah!
Old 05-12-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,942 Likes on 2,011 Posts

Here is an interesting thought about streaming and vod.

How will it work in the coming years when the average joe gets his internet through his phone? I would wager that the only computer that most people will have in ten or so years will be their phone. They work okay for streaming music, but the small screens aren't ideal for HD video (not to mention eye strain) and data caps would make the cost of using your phone to watch movies and television prohibitive. And if we're moving toward a phone-based internet, does that mean most people would stop paying for home internet?
Old 05-12-16, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

How will it work in the coming years when the average joe gets his internet through his phone? I would wager that the only computer that most people will have in ten or so years will be their phone. They work okay for streaming music, but the small screens aren't ideal for HD video (not to mention eye strain) and data caps would make the cost of using your phone to watch movies and television prohibitive. And if we're moving toward a phone-based internet, does that mean most people would stop paying for home internet?
Y'all really need to get past this hatred of streaming on phones - mobile devices are peoples' links to the world around them, this is how they communicate with friends, how they call for an Uber, how they order food and it will be how they watch media.

Heck, I'm in my 40's and even I use mine (admittedly a iPhone 6Plus) to watch videos sometimes.

The datacaps are a real thing, but the companies will respond as needed down the road.
Old 05-12-16, 07:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It's not hatred, but it's definitely not practical to watch HD movies on a phone, no matter the size. There isn't any situation where I have to watch a movie on my phone. I can wait and watch it at home.You have a legit argument on the importance of a smart phone, but just because it can be used for everything doesn't mean it should be used for everything.
Old 05-12-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 937 Likes on 653 Posts

Why would internet only be coming to phones in the future? Why wouldn't internet come to house as it is today and connect to the computer, TV and other media devices?

I see plenty of people watching show/movies on their phones and tablets while on my commute. I find the phone too small, but many people have no problems watching on a 6 inch screen - HD or not.
Personally, I watch on a notebook with a 12" screen, but would have no problems watching on my 9" tablet.

In any case, I think what we'll be seeing in the future are foldable screens. So phones will still be small and portable, but then the screen could unfold and get to be up to 10" in size - which is a great size for personal show/movie viewing.
Old 05-13-16, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 694 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
In any case, I think what we'll be seeing in the future are foldable screens. So phones will still be small and portable, but then the screen could unfold and get to be up to 10" in size - which is a great size for personal show/movie viewing.
I want one of those Tony Stark phones where you just flick the thing and the video just projects into thin air at seemingly any size! Down with the luddites and their antiquated screen technology!

In the meantime, though, I have no problem watching "videos" (which to me means short-ish clips on YouTube, segmented documentaries on Vice and its kin, video on news sites, and other such low-calorie fare) on my phone and iPad. I can even justify watching TV episodes on these devices if need be, since I've never owned TV on DVD or Blu-ray because it just doesn't just hold any replay/ownership value for me personally. Most movies, though, I just cannot do on a tiny screen, not when there's a beautiful big display at home and all the discs I could ever want to watch on it without having to stare into my lap for hours on end. Maybe some day, but for now my tolerance for feature films on tiny screens has so far been limited to the very occasional viewing via YouTube (or its ilk) of some public domain obscurity that isn't likely worthy buying on disc at all since the picture quality is atrocious no matter what the viewing format.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-13-16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
It's not hatred, but it's definitely not practical to watch HD movies on a phone, no matter the size. There isn't any situation where I have to watch a movie on my phone. I can wait and watch it at home.You have a legit argument on the importance of a smart phone, but just because it can be used for everything doesn't mean it should be used for everything.
Originally Posted by Coral
Why would internet only be coming to phones in the future? Why wouldn't internet come to house as it is today and connect to the computer, TV and other media devices?

I see plenty of people watching show/movies on their phones and tablets while on my commute. I find the phone too small, but many people have no problems watching on a 6 inch screen - HD or not.
Personally, I watch on a notebook with a 12" screen, but would have no problems watching on my 9" tablet.

Originally Posted by Brian T
I want one of those Tony Stark phones where you just flick the thing and the video just projects into thin air at seemingly any size! Down with the luddites and their antiquated screen technology!

In the meantime, though, I have no problem watching "videos" (which to me means short-ish clips on YouTube, video on news sites, and other zero-calorie fare) on my phone and iPad. I can even justify watching TV episodes on these devices, since I've never owned TV on DVD or Blu-ray because they just don't just hold enough replay/ownership value for me personally. Most movies, though, I just cannot do on a tiny screen, not when there's a beautiful big display at home and all the discs I could ever want to watch on it without having to stare into my lap for hours on end. My tolerance for films on tiny screens has so far been limited to the very occasional viewing via YouTube (or its ilk) of some public domain obscurity that isn't likely worthy buying on disc at all since the picture quality is atrocious no matter what the viewing format.
The younger kids have no qualms watching movies or tv episodes on their phones, no matter the size. I see it everyday.
Old 05-13-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

When I initially read your opening question I though you were referring to DSL and other phone company based home internet service. Once I figured out you were talking about cell phones, I completely agree. Watching video content on my cell phone sucks, to say the least. The tiny screen is not conducive to watching anything more than a short youtube clip. Definitely not a way to watch a movie for one person, much less a group or family. Plus todays data caps make it even worse. I honestly don't see us moving away from home based internet. Moving forward every piece of electronics is going to be connected to the internet. Cell phone providers are going to have to up their data caps as more and more data is going to be consumed.
Old 05-13-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 694 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
The younger kids have no qualms watching movies or tv episodes on their phones, no matter the size. I see it everyday.
Same here, especially here. The need to curate and preserve collections of film -- which Hollywood already does well enough without us -- just won't be a thing going forward to all but a handful of die-hards in the youngest generations (which is partly why I amended my post above to include a personal "maybe someday" in regards to feature-length films on small screens just moments after you quoted me!). That much should be obvious to even the most inflexible, deliberately oblivious cheerleaders of HDR discs in a thread like this (no names, ahem). I admittedly spoke above as part of a dying generation, and I do forsee a day when my own ever-evolving collection will be about as perfect as I can get it in disc-based form (especially in light of the reams of money I've thrown at it in the last couple of years) and at that point I'll probably more fully embrace streaming of films, but I'll still prefer to do so on my TV over my devices. When it comes to proper movies -- most of 'em, anyway -- screen size will always matter to me. Having the absolute highest-definition, not so much.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-13-16 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We just flew to LA for vacation last week and there was somebody a few rows up that was watching MM Fury Road on phone and also The Force Awakens.

And all the seats on the plane had monitors in the back of them for watching TV and movies and they weren't very big at all.

The collection thing is also going away, even in our generation. My wife would love to have everything digital and we're starting to share Plex accounts with our friends.

The physical media market will be reduced to collectors like us and people will watch on their phones and the studios (and David Lynch) are going to have to adapt or they'll be left behind.
Old 05-13-16, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
We just flew to LA for vacation last week and there was somebody a few rows up that was watching MM Fury Road on phone and also The Force Awakens.
I love watching movies/TV shows on my tablet on a plane, but I also can't bring a 65" 4K TV onboard and plug it in. (I obviously agree that more and more people are more interested in convenience than quality or anything vaguely resembling a cinematic experience, though.)
Old 05-13-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 470 Likes on 325 Posts

I'll watch TV shows on my phone (on rare occasions), but never movies. Mostly because I can't stare at my phone for longer than an hour.
Old 05-13-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Sure. When I was a kid, I watched movies on a 12# black and white screen. When I moved out, I progressively bought larger televisions and nicer speakers. If I could have watched movies on a tablet or phone when I was 14, I probably would have.
Old 05-14-16, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I maintain a digital libray of 300-400 movies on iTUNES and VUDU. I have yet to watch any of them using those services but I may in the future. I do think it is generational, but even those who grew up watching movies on small devices will want to watch at home on large screens. I was shopping at a local reseller yesterday when a guy and his wife carried in three plastic tubs full of DVDs and I asked him if he had any Blu-rays he was selling. He said he had a ton at DVDs at home he was gonna sell as well but never bought any Blu-rays. I guess he had ripped most of the stuff he and his family wanted and the Mrs wanted the room back...too much space devoted to storing the discs. They were both movie enthusiasts but never made the transition to Blu-ray. Everything they were gonna buy was digital now.

I think that is the problem plaguing physical media more than anything else—where to store all those discs. Most people do not have the space. And they simply see services like Netflix, Amazon, VUDU and iTUNES as a better alternative to watch this stuff without devoting a large amount of closet or wall space to storing them.
Old 05-14-16, 08:47 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, there is also the part of physical where one looks for the disc, gently hold it and put it in the tray (believe me, there are lots of folks like me that somehow clumsily damage everything we touch), then wait for it to spin up, get to the menu.......I could have already been 10 minutes into the film with software like Plex.

Then there's the ability to quickly locate and play ANYTHING instantly based on whatever inspires you. My entire habit of watching was changed by being able to quickly and easily transition from a part of one movie that I've seen many times, to a special feature interview on another movie, etc. because I had been reminded of it but had forgotten something relevant to what I was watching.

And it is all on the couch in front of a large screen, while my original copies sit safely in a closet down the hall. I don't mind the inconvenience of storing the physical media, I mind the delicate care, the up and down, back and forth, etc. I watch vastly more now then when I had to put a disc in one at a time.

Last edited by latweek; 05-14-16 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-14-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
Once DVD get under 20% on movies then they can drop it without it adversely affecting their bottom line. But still it would be on select titles only. DVD still releases 4x the titles that Blu-ray does.
I don't think DVD will ever get under 20%. I think it's more a function of under $XX than under XX%.
Old 05-15-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 266 Likes on 182 Posts

What about games? I don't know anything about them. I assume they come on the same 5" discs for X-Box and Playstation as cds and video. Is there an alternate way to purchase and own them that doesn't require a disc? As long as discs are required for X-Box and Playstation I don't see discs going away for music or video either.
Old 05-15-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
What about games? I don't know anything about them. I assume they come on the same 5" discs for X-Box and Playstation as cds and video. Is there an alternate way to purchase and own them that doesn't require a disc? As long as discs are required for X-Box and Playstation I don't see discs going away for music or video either.
Games are also going digital. All three console systems have digital marketplaces and for PC there's Steam, which not only offers games digitally but also frequently marks them down to absurdly low prices.

Game makers, like the movie and TV studios, would love to go all digital and have better control over their IP.
Old 05-15-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 199 Likes on 171 Posts

(As an aside).

Wonder if there are any store-bought pc games, where the cdrom/dvdrom disc is actually just a download program with very little to nothing else on the disc. (ie. The actual game + graphics/data files are downloaded from a server online).
Old 05-15-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morriscroy
(As an aside).

Wonder if there are any store-bought pc games, where the cdrom/dvdrom disc is actually just a download program with very little to nothing else on the disc. (ie. The actual game + graphics/data files are downloaded from a server online).
Actually, that's exactly what it's like most of the time. The disc will just have the Steam/Blizzard installer or whatever, and then you input the code from the case to download the game.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.