Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Old 03-23-16, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by bruceames
I'm sure it will have legs. But 'Frozen' legs? Not so sure.
I really can't say if it will be a phenomenon like Frozen was. Personally, I haven't seen it yet, and have no strong desire to. For me, SW ended in 1983.
Old 03-23-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I really can't say if it will be a phenomenon like Frozen was. Personally, I haven't seen it yet, and have no strong desire to. For me, SW ended in 1983.
I haven't seen it either. Don't plan to until it comes out on UHD.
Old 03-23-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
No 3D Force Awakens + no original versions of the other movies = no sale for me!

People are STILL buying laserdisc players just to get the original versions of the first 3 movies, which seem to be easier to find than those half-assed DVDs that were out a while ago.
Hey Alan, I'm a fan of 3D too. Probably have over 100 3D movies and have had a 'rule' that I never buy the 2D version if there's a 3D version available anywhere in the world (such as Planes 2 or Frozen).

However since watching movies HDR I'm seeing that I prefer it over 3D. Who knows, maybe you will too.
Old 03-24-16, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 760 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceames
I'm sure it will have legs. But 'Frozen' legs? Not so sure. I agree it will certainly boost the SW box sets sales though. Which will be good for revenue since those are pretty pricey. Will be interesting to see if this outsells Frozen for same year sales (from release through December).
I'm not so sure either that Star Wars will repeat the Frozen phenomenon. That became a social thing where every parent of a young daughter was forced at gunpoint to buy it.

Those only come around once or twice a decade.
Old 03-24-16, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 432 Likes on 302 Posts

I think this will come close, as unlike Frozen, kids and parents are both into it enough to buy.
Old 03-24-16, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

However since watching movies HDR I'm seeing that I prefer it over 3D. Who knows, maybe you will too.
Why can't we have BOTH 3D AND HDR?
Old 03-24-16, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no 4K 3D content theatrically, and there is no 4K 3D even planned for the new format at this point.

It may change, but for now, it's not going to happen.

fitprod
Old 03-24-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
There is no 4K 3D content theatrically, and there is no 4K 3D even planned for the new format at this point.
I think he's asking about 1080p/2K 3D HDR, which as far as I know isn't part of the spec either.
Old 03-24-16, 09:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

At least there's 4K players coming out that support 3D. As long as they keep something going with 3D, I'm fine with that. Doesn't need to be 4K just yet, give that several years.
Old 03-24-16, 10:33 AM
Banned

This is anecdotal but during my brief chat with a magnolia salesperson on Tuesday I brought up the subject of 4K. He is the only guy I've run into who actually knows his stuff. He is as big a home theater buff as they come and he believes digital has already superseded 4K. He sees little to no interest in the new format. My Best Buy's media department continues its shrinking act even though they added a small section of 4K titles.

And in another stark reminder of package media's impending demise was a trip to Barnes and Noble which is next door. It is obvious that they are reducing inventory for both DVD and Blu-ray. The racks that typically held 6-8 titles deep per tier had one or two on the display. The Criterion blu-rays that enjoyed their own section are now muddled in with the DVDs. This location was always a reliable source for rare, hard-to-find titles (I picked up "Shane" this past Tuesday). But next time I visit I fear the space devoted to packaged media will be minimal. The march to digital continues.
Old 03-24-16, 10:37 AM
Banned by request

The 3 B&N's near me are the same size as during the heyday of blu and DVD. And Best Buy still has 8 aisles devoted to physical media. And that mix of DVD and blu together has been that way for a couple of years at least. The march is very slow in some places, but it won't take over completely.
Old 03-24-16, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The 3 B&N's near me are the same size as during the heyday of blu and DVD. And Best Buy still has 8 aisles devoted to physical media. And that mix of DVD and blu together has been that way for a couple of years at least. The march is very slow in some places, but it won't take over completely.
I'm gonna try to take pictures this week before they reset that section of the store. This may be something that is rolling out slowly. There is another Barnes and Noble near the neighborhood mall that has virtually no media section. They just carry a handful of newer titles—that's it. I think one can only be blind to not see what is happening. These stores would not be removing product that actually sells. They have come to the conclusion that the space devoted to media could be used to sell product with higher margins and sell-through.

Last edited by AaronSch; 03-24-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-24-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

High dynamic range simply won't work well using polarized 3D glasses. You're cutting off half the brightness right from the start and HDR needs that greater range of lighting that is limited by the glasses. So in essence they are opposing forces. I don't see 3D ever being adopted in UHD BD until they come up with glasses-free 3D TV that works well.
Old 03-24-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The media sections at Barnes and Noble have always had to carry their own weight. The chain is nearing the point where it's waiting to go under. That has led to them cutting back on media on locations where it simply doesn't sell. I don't think it's a chain-wide trend...yet.

I do think B&N has benefited from other retail chains abandoning media. They are practically the last resort in the brick and mortar arena to get catalog music and movies.
Old 03-24-16, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The media sections at Barnes and Noble have always had to carry their own weight. The chain is nearing the point where it's waiting to go under. That has led to them cutting back on media on locations where it simply doesn't sell. I don't think it's a chain-wide trend...yet.

I do think B&N has benefited from other retail chains abandoning media. They are practically the last resort in the brick and mortar arena to get catalog music and movies.
Yes, and it's such a bummer....we are running out of fun places to kill an afternoon. Ironically, they expanded the LP section! Go figure.
Old 03-24-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts

Barnes and Noble is the last store in my area that actually prices things at full list price.
Old 03-24-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 964 Likes on 800 Posts

The couple B&Ns that I go to still have the same-sized media area. There aren't many customers in it so I'm not sure why, but they have quite a bit of inventory. I bought Criterions there in a recent sale, and that was the first time I remember buying media there in a long time.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm not so sure either that Star Wars will repeat the Frozen phenomenon. That became a social thing where every parent of a young daughter was forced at gunpoint to buy it.

Of course, I shouldn't be laughing since I have two daughters and bought both the early digital release and the BD combo.
Old 03-25-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Barnes and Noble is the last store in my area that actually prices things at full list price.
They've been discounting things more in the past year, especially their value bins and new releases. With coupons usually available, their prices have gotten a lot fairer.
Old 03-25-16, 08:57 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by davidh777

Of course, I shouldn't be laughing since I have two daughters and bought both the early digital release and the BD combo.
I'll one up you, I got the digital release, US blu release, and UK 3D release. Sucks cause I'm not a huge fan of it, but if the kids are, then we are. And Frozen sure as hell got enough of my $.
Old 03-25-16, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you guys didn't also get the Sing-a-long version, you're not true fans.
Old 03-25-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Yes, and it's such a bummer....we are running out of fun places to kill an afternoon.
For the most part. I hardly go out these days other than for work related stuff, largely due to a lack of interesting places to check out.

The type of places I use to frequent back in the day, are mostly gone nowadays. (ie. Bookstores, video stores, record stores, arcades, live music nightclubs, etc ...). Even checking out my old stomping grounds (from other cities I use to live in) on google maps streetview, most of these places don't exist today.

If I was 20+ years younger, I don't know what I would do on a night on the town these days.
Old 03-29-16, 05:10 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

March 19:

Old 03-31-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 191 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I like this tangent and would like to contribute, and because I want to see further discussion on this tangent, maybe we should move these posts over to a new thread in Other so more people can chime in as well?
Made a new thread on "Other".

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...ff-thread.html

Hopefully the mods will move the followup posts on this thread, to the spin off thread. (ie. Posts 3623 to 3626 from this thread).
Old 03-31-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,205 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Hopefully the mods will move the followup posts on this thread, to the spin off thread. (ie. Posts 3623 to 3626 from this thread).
Done. Because threads are chronological, the posts moved from here will be first on the list, though.
Old 04-05-16, 04:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

March 26:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.