Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray and DVD sales - We're number 2, but we try harder

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-15, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - #2, but we try harder

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Depending on how UHD-Blu-ray pans out, regular Blu-ray could quickly find itself as the middle-of-the-road format; too good for the DVD regulars and too inferior for the cinephiles and completely useless for the streamers/downloaders.

We are already seeing some titles appearing only on DVD and download, no BR.
UHD-BR will flop. Or it will end up like 3D BR, and be like a premium on regular blu-ray.

I just don't see UHD catching on. Blu-ray is still a niche format that is seeing its presence at places like Walmart and Target shrinking.
Old 12-24-15, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that that UHD pushed through. It didn't seem like it had a tremendous amount of commercial potential.
Old 12-24-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

2016 should be a good year for media with the new Star Wars hitting home video. No one is deluded enough to think Blu-ray will grow going forward, it is a mature market. What owners should hope is a slow, gentle decline in sales.

I actually believe the continuing proliferation of independent streaming services from a variety of different providers will slow that streaming train down a bit. Content is getting locked up to each service and consumers will have to subscribe to 5-10 different providers for all the content they want. People are already starting to make tough choices in that market.

UHD won't be more than a drop in the bucket for several years, if it does anything at all.
Old 12-24-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

If it's any consolation, I was reading that e-books and readers are down 10% over last year as consumers were reverting back to traditional books.
Old 12-24-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I actually believe the continuing proliferation of independent streaming services from a variety of different providers will slow that streaming train down a bit. Content is getting locked up to each service and consumers will have to subscribe to 5-10 different providers for all the content they want. People are already starting to make tough choices in that market.
Recently my "tough choice" was dropping every svod service, and going back to minimal hd cable service. (ie. With basic cable channels like amc, aetv, disney xd, etc ...).

I just got sick and tired of going through multiple subscriptions.
Old 12-28-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

2016 should be a good year for media with the new Star Wars hitting home video. No one is deluded enough to think Blu-ray will grow going forward, it is a mature market. What owners should hope is a slow, gentle decline in sales.

UHD won't be more than a drop in the bucket for several years, if it does anything at all.
We watched Mission Impossible Rogue Nation over the weekend at my brother-in-laws on DVD on a 120 projection screen TV (upconverted). It looked great. My other brother-in-law picked the DVD at redbox and we were worried the DVD would look like shit. If you would have told me it was a blu I would never have known...now I would probably not state that about a DVD issued back in 1997 but today's DVD's look good enough and in the end that is all that matters for most people. The BIL that picked the DVD had never even seen a blu before. We just assumed everyone had a blu ray player by now so didn't specifically tell him to get that.

So yea completely in agreement that blu won't grow but do think it will maintain.
Old 12-28-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
If it's any consolation, I was reading that e-books and readers are down 10% over last year as consumers were reverting back to traditional books.
Has there been a corresponding increase in traditional books? I could certainly see people dumping their dedicated e-readers for tablets despite the latter's disadvantages (screen, weight, battery) for that particular function.
Old 12-28-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been "buying" used books lately through Amazon, often for 1 cent + shipping. Maybe books have been devalued as a result of competition from ebooks (much like DVD and BD), to the point where the pendulum is starting to swing the other way? I don't know if it means more sales for books, but it certainly would affect ebook sales if they're busy reading regular books they can get for almost nothing. Convenience rules for consumers, but only when price doesn't get in the way.
Old 12-28-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm kind of surprised that that UHD pushed through. It didn't seem like it had a tremendous amount of commercial potential.
But who pushed it through. It certainly wasn't consumers.
Old 12-29-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

December 19:

Old 12-29-15, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
But who pushed it through. It certainly wasn't consumers.
There's zero marketing behind it (at least so far) and not even a definitive launch date, so I guess you could argue that no one's pushing it through (at least not yet).
Old 12-30-15, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It finally appears the streaming revolution is seriously affecting DVD sales. 23% YOY revenue drops for a busy Christmas shopping week in what has been described as a good Christmas season for consumer spending is fairly damning for DVD.
Old 12-30-15, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by bruceames
I've been "buying" used books lately through Amazon, often for 1 cent + shipping. Maybe books have been devalued as a result of competition from ebooks (much like DVD and BD), to the point where the pendulum is starting to swing the other way?
This seems to be the case for widely released mass market titles.

On the other hand for stuff that isn't widely released, things seem to be more of a mixed bag.

For example, an extreme case of this is college level textbooks. Used copies of current editions can still fetch some coin, while older (but not TOO old) previous editions are largely penny fodder.
Old 01-05-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 01-06-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Looking forward the year-end spreadsheet.
Old 01-06-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Blu-ray actually finished the year fairly strongly considering the tailwinds against it. DVD's sales are starting to show serious attrition.
Old 01-06-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Depending on who you believe, some say that Jurassic World sold a ton on Blu-Ray but didn't sell very many on "digital", despite getting an early digital release. I haven't seen the numbers, but I'd be very happy if that were true.
Old 01-07-16, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It will be very interesting to see how 2016 unfolds considering that minor release coming out in April.
Old 01-07-16, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Depending on who you believe, some say that Jurassic World sold a ton on Blu-Ray but didn't sell very many on "digital", despite getting an early digital release. I haven't seen the numbers, but I'd be very happy if that were true.
I bet the 3D version sold well. Any sales figures?
Old 01-07-16, 09:15 AM

Do you have a link for this? (Whether posts or actual articles).

Hopefully this is more than just Alan Smithee's "idle fantasies".
Old 01-07-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

It finally appears the streaming revolution is seriously affecting DVD sales. 23% YOY revenue drops for a busy Christmas shopping week in what has been described as a good Christmas season for consumer spending is fairly damning for DVD.
I don't know if I'd "blame" streaming as much as a few more folks purchasing a BR player coupled with the lack of "new" and/or "highly desired" titles being released on DVD. While there *are* new releases the volume seems to be far less than a year, especially two, ago. It's also revenue and many titles have much lower prices than in the past with deep discounts during the holiday season on even new titles. Keep in mind this is idle speculation and I have no numbers to back it up.
I, too, hope this is true. I just don't understand the attraction of digital "ownership" over physical. Sure, go that route for rentals but to *purchase*? Absolutely not.
Old 01-07-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I, too, hope this is true. I just don't understand the attraction of digital "ownership" over physical. Sure, go that route for rentals but to *purchase*? Absolutely not.
Digital ownership is an oxymoron in most cases IMO. Unless you have the content DRM-free and downloaded to a local asset which is not subject to network outages, license revocation, permission issues, etc., you don't own anything when you "buy" the digital version.
Old 01-07-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I think this is the first time in history where we will see four major formats all competing for market share.

DVD
Blu-ray
UHD-Blu-ray
downloading/streaming

I guess the last time that happened was the early-mid 1980s where we had VHS, Betamax with CED and Laserdisc to a smaller extent.
Old 01-08-16, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

They really need to give regular DVD the boot at this point. VHS was finally put out to pasture when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray came out. You can't buy a new standard-def-only TV anymore, so why keep putting out a standard-def format?
Old 01-08-16, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

They really need to give regular DVD the boot at this point. VHS was finally put out to pasture when HD-DVD and Blu-Ray came out. You can't buy a new standard-def-only TV anymore, so why keep putting out a standard-def format?
DVD still outsells blu-ray by a significant margin. It isn't going anywhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.